Nip/Tuck

Mrs. Grubman

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jul 13, 2004 on FX

• Mrs. Grubman: "Beauty is my strength and my armor."

7.8
    was happy we were able to receive closure for Mrs. Grubman before the season swings into action.

Mrs. Grubman’s vanity in the end was what ended up hurting her most. Mrs. Grubman was depressed about aging, and her ineptitude to tell the doctors she was on antidepressants resulted in paralysis from another plastic surgery she connived Sean and Christian into doing. It was tough seeing what her plastic surgery addiction ending up doing to her, but we got a nice scene between her and Christian as she gave Christian parenting advice.

We had another familiar face return tonight, as Kimber came to testify against Christian in the custody battle. Kimber may be more bitter, but she is still just as pathetic. She still wants Christian back; she even offered to be his maid! She is entirely sufficient on others, and ever since Bobolit went bankrupt she has been on a downward spiral as her coke addiction has hollowed out her nasal cartilage and damaged it severely.

I was surprised Christian didn't just get back together with Kimber to prevent her from testifying, but it was the right thing to do. He didn't use Kimber; he was honest and told her he just didn't love her. In the end he may have been able to prevent Kimber from testifying, but he couldn't prevent Wilbur from being taken away from him.

I couldn't believe James. He gets Christian's hopes up that he will help Christian get custody of Wilbur, and then changes his mind and decides he wants to raise Wilbur himself. I know James will probably be a good father for Wilbur. But Christian really does appear to love him and Wilbur brings out the best in him.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Annie finally got her own plot today, as Matt's teasing about Annie entering puberty caused her to make drastic actions landing her in a hospital.

- Sean and Julia are tired of Matt's attitude and have decided to hire life coach Ava to try and straighten him out.

- Gina (who strangely didn't appear in the episode today) was an idiot to bring Wibur's father into the custody battle. No sane parent would leave their child with her.

- Suzanne was way overboard, telling sexually explicit fairy tales to eight year olds. It was nice metaphor though when her story overlapped with Kimber dressing up to go meet Christian.

- They strangely didn't play music during the opening surgery on the high school senior. I guess they had too much to talk about.

- Although credited, Famke Jensen didn't appear in this episode.

- Suzanne: "Oh healthy food is the new plastic surgery. Who knew?"

- It looks like aging is this year's theme, as today we got Mrs. Grubman's depression about aging, Annie's fear about going into puberty, and Julia's fear of growing old that causes the organic food diet.

Final Rating: 2 for puberty plot, 3 for Grubman and Christian. Overall 2 1/2 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx

Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com