Nip/Tuck

Nanette Babcock

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Aug 05, 2003 on FX

• "Unfortunately we live in a world where only one type of beauty is recognized"

Today's episode took us to the dark side of beauty. Obviously there are two sides to Nannette Babcock's case, whether they should have operated on her and installed self confidence or if they made the right choice in canceling her operation. Both sides have to admit though that she did have some pretty bad emotional problems, as displayed by her obsessive wall full of glorious supermodels, the people she wish she was. Her case was one I'm sure many people could relate to, and her suicide at the end was very effective. Today's whole episode dealt with the idea that society places pressure on people to look a certain way, expiecally women, which is a subplot throughout the rest of the series.

Sean's preoccupation with Matt's surgery almost resulted in a 10 million dollar settlement, and Christian was forced to fix the problem the only way he knows how: "You want me to stick my dick in the Crypt Keeper to fix your mistake?" Mrs. Grubman actually had a moment of weakness with Christian, as she revealed that the reason she gets so many tummy tucks and face lifts are to make herself fell wanted. We actually got to see a deeper side to a seemingly shallow character, and I actually began to sympathize with Mrs. Grubman. It appears though that the next day she was up to her devious ways again ("we have a lifetime pro bono"), and I look forward to seeing more of her in the future.

Sean and Julia actually looked, strangely, like a functional couple today. Julia (supposedly) has decided not to blame Sean anymore for not being where she wanted in life, and has decided to go back to medical school. Sean appears to be very supportive of this decision. I doubt though all of their problems are solved.

Final Notes and Quotes

- The Michael Jackson impersonator at the beginning of the episode was humorous, and provided good comic relief for an overall darker episode.

- Rewatching this episode, the phrase "beauty is a curse on the world" came to mind for Nannette. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say more on that in later seasons.

- Julia's one moment of weakness, flushing Annie's gerbil, keeps coming back to haunt her. She now has to take an Animal Anger Management class. That should be interesting.

- Matt seemed very hurt when he found his girlfriend kissing another girl. Good acting from John Hensley.

- It appeared at first glace that Nannette was responsible for what happened to Christian's car, but she seemed very shocked when she was accused.

- Mrs. Grubman getting tackled in the airport was hilarious. "We have a runner"

- Christian: "Ironic, that after these years of my enduring your be-more-responsible lectures, you’re the one who screwed us."

Final Rating: A strong episode, 3 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com