Nip/Tuck

Naomi Gaines

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Aug 03, 2004 on FX

• Truth

El primero de una trilogía de capítulos imperdibles (al menos para mí). La verdad, decir la idem es tan importante, y no ocultarla creo que más. Naomi hace de esto un festín y decide mostrarle al mundo su verdadera cara (disfrazada tras esas cicatrices). Decide apartarse de todos los miedos y se enfrenta a la temida verdad. Lo mismo hace Julia al fin con su hijo, o él la obliga a. Al fin Matt lo sabe y esto seguramente desencadenará un suceso de hechos bochornosos, la hecatombe.
    La verdad sale a la luz, la temible y tan necesaria (demoníaca y violenta) verdad.
  • Carver? I Don't Even Know Her!

Famke Janssen just won't quit it. She's already stolen the show, but now she's running with it too. The writers have created such a venomous woman, but one you can't help but love. There's nothing more appealing on these kinds of shows than a female character that can run circles around every other character, wrapping them all around her little finger, while barely breaking a sweat.

There's a major incestuous vibe between Ava and Adrian, as well as a volatile, violent aspect to their relationship too. Adrian is the definition of disturbed, and comes off isolated, alone, screwed up and generally unaware of how to act around people. All of this is because of Ava though, who's pure evil. Her calculated "you're not too old for a backhand and I'm wearing heavy rings" was so demeaning to him. She's just crazy.

The dinner party bringing together the McNamara's and the Moore's was a disaster waiting to happen. It wasn't surprising when Adrian spilled the beans about Matt and Ava's affair, but the aftermath was one of the greatest Nip/Tuck scenes in history. Joely Richardson completely rocked it as she yelled at Ava, and Famke Janssen was so deliciously evil, throwing Julia's "sex shame" in her face and generally treating her like dirt. I loved Julia getting right up in her face and throwing her the hell out. But, as always, Ava had another trick up her sleeve, and later told Matt that Sean isn't his father. Man, she's pure evil.

If the Ava story wasn't epic enough, we also had two great subplots. The Naomi Gaines story introduced the terrifying Carver, and Leslie Bibb was perfect in her guest role as the young model whose career was ruined by a brutal rape attack. I also loved the resolution to the Bobbi Broderick storyline. The writers could have easily dismissed her as a crazy old shrew, but they actually made her both endearing and understandable. They even kinda gave her a happy ending.

An awesome episode from start to finish and featuring another show-stealing performance from Famke Janssen as crazy Ava. Naomi Gaines set up several major storylines, and did so perfectly.

Director: Craig Zisk
    Writer: Sean Jablonski
    Rating: A+
  • Julia: "I put an alarm in this house to keep monsters out, when shockingly the true monster was right in front of my face the entire time!"

This season has really hit its stride, with many issues reaching their boiling point today.

The confrontation between Julia and Ava was riveting, and Julia's aghast reaction was extremely believable. Ava showed she has some serious guts today; first talking to Julia very openly about her and Matt's sexual relationship, and then throwing back in Julia's face the sexual problems Julia and Sean are having. I was happy Matt defended his mother, and it looked like Matt was finally ready to break things off with Ava. That is, until Ava dropped the ball and told Matt who his real father was.

The final scene between Matt and Julia was effectively emotional and an exciting pay off to all the build up we've had over Matt's paternity. Matt's confusion and anger about having his whole life shaken upside down was very apparent first as he yelled at Julia, and then when he broke down in Sean's arms knowing that Sean wasn't his real father. I fear it's only a matter of time until Sean finds out the truth as well.

Leslie Bibb did a wonderful job as Naomi Gaines today, our main patient of the week who was brutally attacked by a serial rapist called The Carver. I loved Naomi making Bobbi Broderick feel like an idiot about her liposuction complaints. Naomi is a real victim; Bobbi never was. While I did sympathize with Bobbi in the end, I still was appalled when she admitted she didn't follow any of Sean's suggestions to stay healthy after the operation. She made such a huge scandal about how her stomach turned out when really it was all her fault and she knew it. That’s pretty unforgivable in my book.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Adrian is insanely jealous of Matt’s relationship with Ava, and from walking in on Ava and Matt having sex to telling Julia about Matt's new relationship it looks like he's trying his hardest to break the two of them apart.

- Adrian's attachment to Ava reminded me a lot of Brenda and her crazy brother Billie on Six Feet Under, with both relationships having incestuous implications (On Six Feet Under it turned out to be false. I'm still not sure about Adrian and Ava's relationship though).

- Adrian: (to Matt) "What would be great is if you could come quicker so I could get some rest."

- Character Tidbits: Christian was born in June 1964.

- Julia: (to Ava) "Never touch him again, or I swear to god I'll kill you. Now get out of my house!" I think that's the maddest we've ever seen her.

Final Rating: It just keeps getting better and better. 4 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com
  • Mother Knows Best Written by Sean Jablonski Directed by Craig Zisk

If you enjoyed the antics of Bobbi Broderick in the previous episode, then you’ll be delighted to know the disgruntled lady is back and upping the ante on McNamara and Troy. Although we already know it’s her own fault, Sean still points out that the media are more interested in salacious scandal than the actual truth itself. Not only has Bobbi’s flashing techniques affected trade but she’s making sure obligatory fliers, rotting piles of meat and intrepid Channel 9 news reporter Andrea Hall are all there to get McNamara and Troy to own up to an act they aren’t responsible for.

While Sean whines about Bobbi’s vindictive campaign, Christian isn’t one to sit and pout and takes affirmative action by seeking out and seducing Andrea Hall, while offering her a real victim’s story, hence our main patient of the week.

Naomi Gaines, an aspiring model who was horrifically attacked and raped in her own home by a serial slasher known as The Carver. Unlike Kimber, Naomi actually looks like she enjoys a healthy meal and guest star Leslie Bibb is wonderfully cast in such a fascinating and sympathetic role, it doesn’t take a genius to see why Sean wanted her on the books. Not only does he seem to like doing the pro-bono work, but to him (and everyone else), Naomi is a genuine victim.

While Christian thinks o the publicity angle a lot more, Naomi’s plight s the only thing that snap Bobbi out of her personal mission to ruin the firm, especially after Naomi berates her on victim hood. It’s from this instant that some light is shed and you finally begin to feel sympathy for Bobbi. I’m glad she admitted to Sean that it was her own doing that her recovery was botched and it was incredibly decent he decided to use her as a reference on the cons of plastic surgery. I’m not sure Christian would agree with that recommendation but it does open up the possibility of future appearances for the character which isn’t the worst thing to happen on the show (she could be the new Mrs Grubman, minus surgery addiction).

As for the Naomi plot, this Carver is instantly made into a scary threat. More strikingly is the message that he leaves behind after his rapes and mutilates his victims – beauty is a curse on the world. If Sean and Christian are all about removing the self-hatred people feel about themselves, then this sick freak is on the opposite side of the scales. It doesn’t need to be said but this is a thread I can’t wait to get into.

Fascinating continues to be an overall feel in this episode as the Matt and Ava relationship continues to crank up that much more. It took very little time for Adrian to stir up shit and almost every scene prior to his outburst backs up my statement. How to cause trouble between your predatory mother and her jailbait lover? Well if you’re Adrian that means trying to get in bed with them, trying to make out with said toy boy (after asking if he wants to jack-off a couple of hours early) and revealing all in front of toy-boy’s mom. That ought to do it.

Well it did and when looked like Matt was about to escape from Ava’s clutches, she sinks her claws in just further by revealing Matt’s true parentage. Bitch! As a result, we get a kick ass confrontation between Matt and Julia, who’s forced to tell him the truth and even though she should’ve been honest with Matt in the beginning, he had no right to call her a whore The moment where Sean walked was nail-biting and it was clever how he told him about Ava as a subterfuge. I like Sean a lot but this proves he really has no idea about what goes on in his family, though at the same I am dreading what happens when he uncovers this particular secret.

Also in “Naomi Gaines”

Not a Patient: Mrs Deckland wanted a facelift but Bobbi’s campaign and meeting with Sean and Christian made her change her mind.

Adrian (to Matt): “What would be great is if you could come quicker so I can get some rest”.

Sean (re patient): “She’s in my office. You saw her?”
    Nurse Linda: “You don’t forget that face”.

The Carver has so far gone for women and it was interesting how Bobbi picked famous victims as false patients for the surgeons. Marion Crane, Sharon Tate and Kitty Geneves, for example.

Naomi (re smiling): “I don’t know if I can’t or because I don’t want to”.

Some character bits: Ava had Adrian when she was 16, Christian was born in June 1964, Naomi had booked her first cover prior to her attack and there’s an incest vibe between Ava and Adrian. I just know it.

Matt: “Chill with the attitude. I’m not here to take your shit”
    Adrian: “You’re boring me”.

Leslie Bibb who played Naomi was a regular on Ryan Murphy’s previous show, Popular. I’ll admit I never liked it at first but it’s far better than The O.C. or One Tree Hill. I approve of Murphy pulling in previous actors, especially when great in roles like this.

Ava: “You’re confusing personal attention with ground rules. The truth of the matter is you are denied nothing”
    Adrian: “Really Mom. When I asked you and Matt to keep it down while you were humping the other night, you didn’t do that for me. That’s denial”.

We saw Andrea Hall exposing an asbestos outbreak on Channel 9 news. She’s got possible recurring character status written on her.

Julia (to Ava): “Don’t you ever touch my son again or I swear to God, I will kill you. Now get out of my house”.

Bobbi: “What happened to you?”
    Naomi: “I was attacked in my home by a man who raped me and carved up my face”.

Julia: “Don’t talk to me like that. I am still your mother”
    Matt: “You’re not my mother, you’re a whore. Even if you did hit me, it would still be true”.

Standout music: “Hayling” by FC Kahuna.

Could this possibility be the best episode in Season 2 so far? It’s definitely up there. “Naomi Gaines” was an intense, revealing hors, laced with so much suspense; the next instalment can’t come quick enough.
  • Truths are revealed that aren't wanting to be known, and revelations discovered that will shake up Nip/Tuck well into this season...

The seventh episode in the second season of Nip/Tuck, and this week's installment continues on largely from the huge bombshell of the previous episode, that Ava has a teenage son. That's right, Ava, a mother. Yet another fantastic idea on the writer's part, and to make things worse, Adrian Moore isn't like the other kids...

When ill and told to lie down he offers to join Matt and his mother in bed, before later on being unashamedly rude, and trying to kiss Matt. His expressions tell the stories of a thousand words, and despite seeming "troubled" his smugness and actions make him a hard character to like. He does stir things up however, and he did without a doubt add to the episode's appeal.

The patient of the episode this week is the young Naomi Gaines. After Julia reading about her survival from being attacked and raped by a villan called "The Carver", Sean decides to give her a consultation, and when the time comes, announces him and Christian will do it for free. Essentially repairing victims is what the duo do every episode to an extent, and a look over the patients will only confirm that, but it was more than refreshing this week to have a real victim. Add in some emotional scenes and some brilliant acting by Leslie Bibb, and it was hard not to feel sympathetic and amazed at the same time towards her survival.

The truth also emerged this week about Bobbi Broderick. After the supposed mishap in the previous episode it was revealed that it was self induced, and Broderick was really to blame for all the bruising. Her story of self pity marked a complete contradiction from her character in the previous episode, and in a way, a bit of a letdown. More so as she was such a good baddie in the last episode. Regardless, the acting by Jill Clayburgh was once again on top form, and I for one, will miss her as a patient.

In true Nip/Tuck style, it would not be a complete episode without some disruption at the McNamara household, and thankfully, we were not forgotten on that front.

You knew immediately when Julia invited Adrian to dinner things would soon go pear-shaped, and they did, when it was him who revealed to her the relationship between Matt and his mother. In what only contributed to Adrian's demonic and somewhat eerie mind, his expressions and just general bad-ass attitude was priceless, causing yet even more friction between Julia and Matt. Joely Richardson did a superb job of acting out the response any mother would (or should) have, as did
    the rest of the dinner guests.

Sean's response should be interesting...
  • The acting lengths of Joely Richardson

This is the best episode of the second season so far. In fact, this may be my favourite episode of the series so far. Why? Where do I start?

Do I start with the disfigured Leslie Bibb whose acting in this episode was absolutely magnificent? Do I start by talking about Mrs. Grubman 2.0? Do I start with the introduction of The Carver and the disturbed Moore family relationship? Do I start with my rage that Joely Richardson isn't up for an Emmy?

There simply is nowhere to start. So I'll start with Mrs. Grubman 2.0 (or as you know her, Bobbi Broderick). I'm still not sure what my opinion is on her. Now I know that she has a heart, a heart which definitely wasn't there beforehand. Or if it was, she sure hid it very well. However, I think the fact that Sean offered to add her to the references list could turn out to be a terrible mistake on his part.

From one unsatisfied patient to one amazing victim. Naomi Gaines was struck by a serial rapist by the name of The Carver. Oooh, the name just give me the chills. Portraying Ms. Gaines is Leslie Bibb, who I immediately recognized as Erin Harkins from ER in the ninth season. Bibb brought so much to this character and is one of the reasons this episode is so fantastic. Her speech to Mrs Grubman 2.0 was very true and the range of emotion in her voice was beautiful to see.

And speaking of amazing blonde actresses, Joely Richardson just goes from strength to strength. Her and Famke Janssen just have fantastic chemistry and it's a crime that Joely doesn't have an Emmy nomination to her name. The final scene of this episode with her and Matt was great. Joely's tears and Matt's violent behaviour towards his mother just put the icing on the cake

Ava and Creepy Adrian (I might call him AvaSpawn) ... what can I say? There are no words.

I cannot wait until next week.
  • Things explode this episode. Summary included in review.

After setting everything up, this episode kicks it full speed with revelations, problems and a little triumph of the human spirit. Ava was a lot to handle, but then they unleashed her disturbed son. In addition, it also adds The Carver, which would provide some later intrigue once the major stories this season die down.

Following Bobbi's restaurant outburst, Christian and Sean knew they were in for a tough ride. Bobbi has taken her fight to their office, convincing an old woman not to have them do her facelift. The woman did the consult anyway to see for herself. When the old lady leaves, they confront Bobbi haranguing patients in the waiting room. She scares them off showing them her botched lipo. Despite their requests that she leave, she insists on staying.

Bobbi's disturbances are too overt for their business, so the doctors try to discuss this matter privately. However, Bobbi remains adamant that she get an apology and that they inform the public what they did. Either way, they're going to take a major hit in public relations and revenue. Although Bobbi is unstable, she has convinced local newswoman Andrea Hall to do a piece on her surgery. Exposure like that would doom their business since local news is more concerned about scandal than the truth.

Sean's still distracted the next morning when Julia tells him about an attack on a model named Naomi Gaines. The third victim in a month, Naomi was brutalized by someone referred to only as "The Carver". He was named this because he mutilates his victims after raping them. Suddenly, Sean has someone who needs his help, a real victim of a horrible tragedy. Although he is concerned largely for her well being, part of him appears to be interesting in the publicity. That direction was misguided as it better suits Christian's point of view. Christian and Sean's differing attitudes become integral to the episode. Perhaps the scene should've been reworked as a scene between Sean and Christian or Christian and someone else.

While Sean is leaving for work, Matt is finishing making love to Ava. Adrian interrupts their pillow talk. He's not feeling well and is staying home from school. When Ava tells him that she wants him in bed, he tries to climb in with them. This boy missed many hugs when he was younger. Ava remarks that sometimes she regrets not having an abortion when she was pregnant with Adrian. Obviously such an issue between her son and her has made him a disturbed kid.

Matt questions her feelings being with someone her son's age. She claims that Matt's age has nothing to do with her attraction. It does. His age still leaves him impressionable, and Ava needs someone she can easily leech off and manipulate. Adrian has been manipulated all his life and we see that it has warped him. Before he left, he tells Matt that he will be discarded eventually. Adrian's obsession with his mother would give Hamlet pause.

Bobbi continues to terrorize McNamara/Troy, filling their schedule with phony appointments for famous victims and sending rotten meat to their building. However, this day they have a real client: Naomi. Words can only say so much about what she went through. The Carver cut her face badly, the cuts running from the corners of her mouth up her face. As he raped her and she choked on her blood, he kept saying, "Beauty is a curse on the world". In addition to this wrenching story, this quote has the added dramatic effect with the show's plastic surgery setting. The Carver chooses his victims because of their beauty and beauty is their business.

Sean sees her ordeal as an opportunity to be a healer again. He's genuinely sympathetic to her ordeal, gently examining her wounds and waving all costs for the procedure. When he asks her to smile and she can't, he tells her that it is because of nerve damage instead of trauma. Throughout the consult he assures her that most of what has happened to her is fixable. Naomi booked a cover before her attack and all she wants is her life back.

Christian sees that this is a huge story that would overshadow whatever Bobbi Broderick is planning. Without Sean knowing, he seduces reporter Andrea Hall. When she learns about it the next morning, she's initially flattered. However, she says that she won't shelve the story because of her personal life. After a few choice words about her eventual need for surgery, Andrea almost storms out of his room. A few more words, about their pro bono work, convinces her to stay. Christian's plan worked perfectly.

The new alarm system at the McNamaras, installed at Julia's request, goes off in the middle of the night. Sean and Julia find Matt trying to sneak back in after being with Ava. He dodges the bullet, but realizes that he can't hide it much longer. Later that day he tells Ava about his situation. She's thrilled and decides to call his parents and set up a meeting where they can tell them. Obviously, she can't see how wrong this relationship is, but where would the fun be there?

While Ava makes the call, Adrian asks if Matt wants to masturbate by the pool. If Matt had any early indicator to get out of this relationship, this was it. It makes Matt uncomfortable, and his efforts to get Adrian to relax don't work. Adrian sees Matt as a wannabe father to him. Since they're the same age, he can't exert that authority. Ava returns to confirm their dinner date. Adrian makes an odd comment regarding favors, further adding to the weirdness quota.

On the latest campaign against McNamara/Troy, Bobbi stands outside their offices handing fliers of her stomach. This is the end of her effectiveness, as Andrea Hall is now covering their procedure on Naomi. Sean rolls his eyes again when he finds out how she was swayed and is uncomfortable when Christian requests that Sean ask Naomi to appear on camera and talk about her experience. He has done a lot to make Naomi comfortable and empowered: he doesn't want to trick her.

He has an opportunity when Naomi arrives to see what she should look like after surgery. After an awkward icebreaker, he manages to become more sincere as his lines sound less scripted. Initially she doesn't want to, but Sean persuades her by telling her that this would be getting back the power The Carver took from her. Through her ordeal, she has always been looked upon as this poor victim. Sean's compassion has made her believe that she can have what she used to have. Although he wasn't completely forward, this has been incredibly helpful for her.

Sean's concern for Naomi is genuine, as he tenderly looks at her before they operate. However, Christian doesn't see things that way. Christian's desire for honorable headlines and Sean's desire to give back what Naomi lost creates friction among the doctors, but nothing noticeable for the news cameras. While Sean may not like this publicity, he must realize that it is far better than the smear campaign Andrea Hall was originally going to cover.

That night, Julia, Matt, Adrian and Ava have dinner together. Adrian agreed to play nice, but his perpetual resentment towards them is still clear. Despite some hints, Adrian manages to keep quiet. He and Matt are excused from the table so Matt can show Adrian his CD collection. Matt asks what's the matter, but Adrian doesn't care. He takes the moment to kiss Matt, thoroughly freaking him out.

Spurned, Adrian returns to see Julia making a vegan meal for him since he told her he doesn't eat meat. He does, but he turned down her original meal to see if she would make something he requested. He claims Ava doesn't do that. Ava's rebuttal is that he isn't denied anything, so Adrian reveals their relationship in the most inappropriate way in front of Julia.

Off guard, Julia demands to know the truth, which she gets. Suddenly, Julia's vision of what she wants to be is shattered. Before she saw a woman in control of her life; someone who helped her get the strength to cast out her manipulative mother. Now she sees a much darker version of this woman, a woman far worse than her mother. She lashes out against Ava and orders her out of their lives. To Ava's surprise, Matt doesn't take her side. Ava needs to get Matt in a place where she can have control over him.

Meanwhile, Sean takes off the bandages to see how Naomi is healing. Thankfully, she is doing well. Her face hurts, but that's a sign that the surgery was a success. Unfortunately, Bobbi intrudes. Handing Naomi an envelope, she asks that she join her in a class action lawsuit against McNamara/Troy. At this point, she asks Naomi what had happened to her. Naomi gets her strength back here. Hearing this spoiled woman screaming for attention over a bad procedure was enough for her. She stands up for herself and tells Bobbi about her ordeal not in shock like she was at the beginning of the episode, but with power. It's clearly defeat for Bobbi.

And it's enough for Sean. He's going to press charges against her. Bobbi feels horrible for trying to compare her problem to rape. She confesses that she never went to her job interview and she did everything the doctors told her not to do. In her desperate attempt for attention, she lost all track of reality. Despite all she did to their company under this influence, Sean shows sympathy. He even offers to let Bobbi be a reference for future patients, giving her the attention she desperately needs.

Matt decides following the confrontation to break it off with Ava. He can't lie to his family anymore. She can't accept this. Matt is her life source. So, she unleashes the one thing she knows will revive his trust in her. That night he confronts Julia. She knows she can't lie to him about this. Everything Matt knows has been based on this lie that Julia has perpetuated. His trust in his mom is vanquished, just like Ava wanted. This revelation also has rocked him to his core, which makes him susceptible for more manipulation by Ava. During this fight, Sean walks in. Instead of revealing the entire truth, Matt tells him the truth about his relationship with Ava. It's merely a band-aid: he's going to find out soon.

This episode was jammed full of things that exemplify Nip/Tuck at its best. Adrian is a great addition to the cast. Though I wish there was more of the Bobbi Broderick storyline, it's quick resolution left them able to devote time to what was coming next.
  • Mat learn the truth

The second episoide i liked it even more espically the ending which i will discuss later, The thing i want to discuss Mat and Eva, That boy seriously need his head examined, he is such a self-fish person and i really liked Eva son, i mean trying to kiss him cracked me up but no the biscuit was him revealing how Eva help Mat but doing it. i kinda of feel sorry for Eva son i mean all he wants is his mother affection and she's giving to someone else, i'm still kinda of surprised how he didn't beat Mat up. i would off. No, just when he decides to break it off with Eva, Mat get's a nasty surprise by finding out that Christian is his biological father, i thought it was sweet when he hugged Sean at the end. i wonder when Sean going to find out.

Christian, the guy has no limits sleeping with a reporter thank god they didn't show it, anyway he got the postive PR from repair the girl who got attacked, The actress(Lesley Bibb) has starred in few series like 'popular' and 'line of fire'. i really liked how she told that women off and the smile on Sean face was cool. Still we find out the truth that she didn't stick to Sean advice, Sean was still nice to her.