Nip/Tuck

Naomi Gaines

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Aug 03, 2004 on FX

• Julia: "I put an alarm in this house to keep monsters out, when shockingly the true monster was right in front of my face the entire time!"

This season has really hit its stride, with many issues reaching their boiling point today.

The confrontation between Julia and Ava was riveting, and Julia's aghast reaction was extremely believable. Ava showed she has some serious guts today; first talking to Julia very openly about her and Matt's sexual relationship, and then throwing back in Julia's face the sexual problems Julia and Sean are having. I was happy Matt defended his mother, and it looked like Matt was finally ready to break things off with Ava. That is, until Ava dropped the ball and told Matt who his real father was.

The final scene between Matt and Julia was effectively emotional and an exciting pay off to all the build up we've had over Matt's paternity. Matt's confusion and anger about having his whole life shaken upside down was very apparent first as he yelled at Julia, and then when he broke down in Sean's arms knowing that Sean wasn't his real father. I fear it's only a matter of time until Sean finds out the truth as well.

Leslie Bibb did a wonderful job as Naomi Gaines today, our main patient of the week who was brutally attacked by a serial rapist called The Carver. I loved Naomi making Bobbi Broderick feel like an idiot about her liposuction complaints. Naomi is a real victim; Bobbi never was. While I did sympathize with Bobbi in the end, I still was appalled when she admitted she didn't follow any of Sean's suggestions to stay healthy after the operation. She made such a huge scandal about how her stomach turned out when really it was all her fault and she knew it. That’s pretty unforgivable in my book.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Adrian is insanely jealous of Matt’s relationship with Ava, and from walking in on Ava and Matt having sex to telling Julia about Matt's new relationship it looks like he's trying his hardest to break the two of them apart.

- Adrian's attachment to Ava reminded me a lot of Brenda and her crazy brother Billie on Six Feet Under, with both relationships having incestuous implications (On Six Feet Under it turned out to be false. I'm still not sure about Adrian and Ava's relationship though).

- Adrian: (to Matt) "What would be great is if you could come quicker so I could get some rest."

- Character Tidbits: Christian was born in June 1964.

- Julia: (to Ava) "Never touch him again, or I swear to god I'll kill you. Now get out of my house!" I think that's the maddest we've ever seen her.

Final Rating: It just keeps getting better and better. 4 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com