Nip/Tuck

Rhea Reynolds

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 11, 2005 on FX

• Rhea Reynolds

It is a one of the better episode of third season
  • Invisible

"invisible, I feel like i'm invisible..." quién cantaba eso? Por dios! Hitazo de los inolvidables ochenta que define tan bien este episodio. Esos momentos de la vida en que te das cuenta que simplemente dejaste de existir para la otra persona (querida, por cierto). Cuando te das cuenta que sos absolutamente prescindible en esa vida. Que triste... Qué queda por hacer además de resignarse? Hacer lo posible por no tirarse por la ventana, por no volar por unos segundos. ¿Aferrarse eternamente a la esperanza? Jamás de los jamases, al menos no yo.

Nip/Tuck, Season 3, Episode 4 {Rhea Reynolds}: 8,8. Convertirse en un fantasma.
  • Memories Light the Corner of My Mind

As much as she sucked, Rhea Reynolds certainly got pulled through the ringer toward the end of this episode. Her surgery scene was terrifying (I had to push mute after a while), and the closing moments were even worse, with The Carver back on the scene and more knife-happy than ever. I was a little confused over the anaesthetic though. Did Christian sabotage it on purpose? Or was it just good ol' fashioned karma that got Rhea?

K Callan's subplot was extremely moving. While its principal purpose was to parallel Sean's family breakdown, Callan's heartfelt performance and the excellent characterization make it one of Nip/Tuck's all-time best Nip/Tuck surgery stories. You really want Ellie to re-ignite her husband's memory, and the last moments of their story is so painful to watch, as you truly wish for the best. The closing shot of Ellie sitting next to her husband and his "new girlfriend" is just devastating.

A powerful episode featuring two patients with drastically different stories. This episode effortlessly shows how far Nip/Tuck has come, balancing such a saddening and emotional story with something so violent and screwy.

Director: Greer Shephard
    Writer: Jennifer Salt
    Rating: A
  • Christian: (to Liz) "Is this open surgery or open mike night at the lesbian coffee shop?"

This episode was an excellent exploration of the different ways people handle pain.

Rhea Reynolds, tired of being invisible and not being noticed, cuts her own face to simulate a Carver attack. I thought straight off the bat that Rhea was way too cheerful when she was discussing her attack, and the minute she referred to her attack as a "miracle" I knew something was up.

Throwing in a little life lesson about “crying wolf”, Rhea, in a cruel karmic way, learns what real pain feels like when the anesthesia doesn't kick in during her operation and she is able to feel the doctor’s every slice, nip and tuck (pun intended). Rhea’s unfortunate surgery was efficiently appalling, and also provided a nice parallel to Christian’s powerless feeling during his Carver attack (the single tear sliding down her cheek was also a nice callback to his attack).

I found Matt putting a restraining order against Sean ridiculous, and I couldn't believe when Julia said she wasn't surprised that Matt did it (although she did later redeem herself when she defended Sean to "Frik and Frak".) At least Matt finally rescinded the order in the end, but it still must have been very hard for Sean to hear Matt say that he only did it for Julia, and that he and Sean "are through". Matt is hurting Sean a lot, even pushing him to the point of self mutilation, and Matt doesn't seem to care (Matt: "You're very sad"). I understand Matt's pain, but that doesn't take away from how much I dislike him this season.

K. Callan as Ellie gave a wonderful, sympathetic and touching performance as a woman loosing her husband to Alzheimer. As someone who has had a loved one diagnosed with Alzheimer, it was particularly emotional for me watching Ellie go through it also. It's a nice treat when the doctor's actually get a patient who’s face lift is motivated by more then just self image problems.

Final Notes and Quotes

- As if Rhea hadn’t already paid enough for her lie, the episode ended with the Carver, deciding to teach Rhea a lesson of his own, attacking her.

- I have to wonder, why would Julia tell Matt about when Sean choked her?

- The Child Protective Services agents infuriated me. They didn't even try and listen to Sean; it was as if they wanted to find something wrong.

- Outstanding Performance of the Week: The whole cast was excellent this week (like always), but I have to hand it to Dylan Walsh.

- The Carver: (to Rhea) “I’m going to give you what you’ve been wanting all along. Real pain.”

Final Rating: Excellent. 4 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com
  • possibly one of three best episodes of the series;musically especially.

Woaaa! Everything about this one was great.The scenes were great,the script was great. music was absolutely the best.
    Classic 70s track \"those were the days\"perfectly summed up the desire of the old woman to be like she used to be so her husband can remember him.The episode hits our emotional state with revealing the new lover of the guy;telling us that nothing stays the same even if you can pay surgents thausands of dolars to make your face so,so we have to do what is right and live...

And the awake-surgery scene!the track was \"a cry for love\" from black heart procession.perfect choice!PERFECT!lyrics, even the name of the track totally totally defines what is going on on that table,emotionally,physically.and that tear drop coming from her eyes!!aaaargh the hardest scene on nip tuck ever.

the first surgery with the song from that juliet chick,i dont know the name.And closing with sia\'s \"numb\" everything on this episode was very special.The ending was expected but still shocking.

Really,one of the greatest nip tuck episodes ever.it has so much to think on.Too much...

• Real Pain

Moving on to 'Rhea Reynolds', the strongest and best episode of the series, in my opinion. A strong guest cast in a well-written and tightly directed episode (another great script by credited writer Jennifer Salt, adeptly directed by executive producer Greer Shephard) with the overarching theme of pain and how we deal with it, it is heartbreaking, chilling and shocking in equal measures. The episode starts with Sean in a consultation with a woman called Ellie Harkness, who seeks plastic surgery to help jog her Alzheimer's-stricken husband's memory, as he claims to no longer recognise her. He initially refuses but, after seeing Ellie with her husband, agrees (A wonderful use of music- the melancholic 'Those Were The Days'- is used for Ellie's surgery). But after all that... Ellie's husband still doesn't recognise her and introduces her to his girlfriend. This is the heartbreaking strand to the episode, along with Sean's continued run of bad luck. After getting served with a restraining order from Matt, he is unable to see him or talk to him. Things get worse when two well-meaning but utterly inept social workers turn up and interview Annie to see if she is at risk. After finding Annie's football injuries, and Sean attempting to protect his daughter from the social worker's examination, it is ruled he cannot be left alone with her until the restraining order is rescinded, which Matt does at the end of the episode but makes it clear it was done for Julia, not Sean. Annie's final line to Sean choked me completely, and I'm not one for sentimentality. Luckily, this episode marks the final appearance of Matt for the next three episodes (he resurfaces in 'Tommy Bolton') as his anti-social pouting was really pissing me off.

The opening surgery is on a woman who self-mutilates, and the surgery staff discuss the notion of cutting yourself. Liz gives a wonderful and concise explanation as to why some people do it (as a former cutter myself, I could completely empathise with this). And we see Sean reverting to it at the end of the episode; a moving scene which wasn't referenced again in the series (maybe that once was all it took?). But this theme is kept up in the main thrust of the story; the titular character comes to the surgery as the next victim of the Carver. Her positive look on the tragedy sharply contrasts with Christian's own pain. But here's the twist - Rhea Reynolds is not a true victim. She mutilated herself for attention. Christian suspects as much as she's preparing for surgery but the others do not agree. They perform the facial surgery upon the cuts but there's just one thing; Rhea's anaesthetic hasn't kicked in. She is paralysed but conscious and can feel every slice of the scalpel. This is the chilling part of the episode; during the surgery, Rhea gives an internal monologue about the pain and is screaming inside her own head, but cannot make a sound. There's a particularly nice cross-reference to Christian's attack; a single tear slides from her eye. Afterwards, she tries suing the company but lets it slip that she cut herself as she couldn't cope with feeling invisible. But the episode ends with one hell of a shock: as she is at home recovering from the surgery, Rhea gets a visit from the real Carver who promises her the real pain she's always wanted! She sinks to the floor, the Carver raises the knife... snap to black.

This episode seriously has a lot to recommend it. Some great performances from the regular cast, Roma Maffia especially (Liz is my favourite character anyway) and Dylan Walsh and Julian McMahon too. Tara Buck is incredibly strong as the deluded victim Rhea, veering from joy to pain- the look on her face when she finds out Christian is a real Carver victim is brilliant. K Callan's performance as Ellie Harkness is one of the best guest performances I've seen on the show; tender, caring and desperate to make amends for 'deserting' her husband before his illness. If anyone asks me why I like Nip/Tuck so much, I point them towards this episode; it is a prime example of the brilliantness of this show in its full glory.
  • this episode was crazy. nip tuck always amazes me.

so this episode was a bit different. the carver was absent for the last couple episodes but hes back. or is he? this chick cuts herself to get attention likes shes a carver victim which i cant see how anyone could do but its great to watch. the whole thing where she could feal the pain in the surgery was crazy. it really makes you feel helpless because there was absolutly nothing she could of done. it looks like the carver gave her what was coming in the end though. man that mask is scary. at least they wont have to worry about a lawsuit. great episode.
  • "Rhea Reynolds" is an episode dealing with self image and its complications with your mind, body and soul. All the victims of a serial psychological and physical abuser share such moments of pain. It is always fresh in your mind and your body.

"Rhea Reynolds" is an episode dealing with self image and its complications with your mind, body and soul. All the victims of a serial psychological and physical abuser share such moments of pain. It is always fresh in your mind and your body. Christian feels exactly the same.

Rhea Reynolds is a woman having odds with her image from others' view. She chose to draw attention with this fake attack story, but she has already been feeling the stress and she added some physical pain over them. I could not understand the pain she feels one that surgery table but that single tear on her eye, like Christian's while he was paralyzed, can sketch her situation. I think she felt pain as the others did, the carver attack is so much for her.

Alzheimer is a really sad illness because with all your family and friends you can ease the harms of such diseases, but in this you cannot remember them and you are alone and know nothing in a desperate situation. I think Carl, the old lady's husband who has had Alzheimer, cannot remember her and she decides to have surgery in order to look like in early ages, but he failed to remember her again. I think he remembers her and he is punishing her because she left him alone with himself even though they are husband and wife. This one is a true matter for people in middle and old ages.
  • Cry Wolf Written by Jennifer Salt Directed by Greer Shephard

Following the shock ending of “Derek, Alex And Gary”, it sure didn’t take very long for the consequences of Sean punching Matt to appear. Fresh from an intriguing consult, Sean finds out he’s been served with a restraining order, preventing him from contacting Matt in any way.

No, I’m not kidding and I can’t actually believe Matt went through with it but more importantly, I can’t believe Julia said she wasn’t surprised by it either. Did she have a memory by-pass? Last time I checked, Sean smacked the little bastard because he pushed Julia. Yet when he confronts Julia about this court order, she takes Matt’s side while he plays the victim role and threatens to call the police if he doesn’t leave. Damn, forgetting about Sean’s hurt and confusion for a brief second, I’m finding it hard to fathom why out of all the people, Matt is vilifying him. Out of everyone who everyone who has “betrayed” him in the last year, Sean is the only one who has been honest with him when needed. While his timing telling him about Ava did suck, even Matt should’ve enough brain cells to realise there was no real malice intended but sadly it appears he doesn’t.

The story is cranked up a few notches when social services pay a visit to Sean’s home and find bruises on Annie and immediately jump to the false conclusion that Sean is being abusive towards his daughter as well. The real truth is her bruises are from soccer practise and Annie’s pleas of Sean’s innocence fall on deaf ears. As social workers go, the two who gatecrash Casa de Sean’s are inept and abrasive and almost seem to want to find something incriminating on Sean.

Julia redeems herself by defending Sean’s honour but the social workers still tell him to undertake an anger management course while Annie stays with Julia. Fortunately, although rather conveniently, Matt has the restraining order rescinded but still refuses to forgive Sean. At a desperate low, Sean begs Matt to hit him but he just walks away. How many blows is Sean going to get this year? Sketchy office politics, a divorce and the child you consider your own hating your guts. Matt may have a lot of rage and anguish but why the hell should Sean be the one to bear the brunt?

Luckily though, Sean did at least get one reason to feel like a good man in tonight’s episode as the B-Patient of the week, Ellie Harkness really needed his assistance. Before I even go into the story, can I just say top marks in casting K. Callan as Ellie? After playing a coin spitting parishioner in Carnivale, Callan got to play another “at her wits’ end” type and a truly endearing one at that. Ellie’s husband has Alzheimer’s and due to a strain in their marriage as a result of a successful writing career, Carl doesn’t recognise Ellie as his wife. After meeting with Carl, Sean decides to help Ellie with her request – a facelift that will make her look twenty years younger in the hope of jogging her husband’s memory.

For the most part, facelift operations have been one of the most superficial procedures on this show – both Mrs Grubman and Erica Noughton have ad their faces done for superficial reasons but here it’s for a truly poignant one and Ellie’s plight is made even more heart-wrenching when Carl still fails to realise who she is, along with the revelation he has a girlfriend named Trudy. Top marks has to go for the acting and strength of the older actors on this one. These patients are certainly getting more inventive this season.

Speaking of inventive, we’ve waited long enough and finally The Carver struck again on a woman named Rhea Reynolds. Addressing Christian’s own feelings and anxiety over his Carver attack, Rhea for some insane reason actually thinks her attack was some kind of miracle. It also emerges rather quickly after a second consult, that she’s faking and while Quentin dismisses Christian’s observations, Rhea begins to pay for her fibbing in more ways than one. When under twilight, she actually feels the restorative operation on her face and threatens to sue until baited into admitting that she wasn’t a real Carver victim. That is, until everyone’s much feared and discussed serial slasher pays her a visit.

If last week was the episode in which Quentin looked like a suspect to the Carver’s real identity, then this week it’s Liz’s turn. Although she felt guilt over the anaesthesia, I noticed there was an underlying smile on her face when she prepped Rhea and when Christian voluntarily put himself him under in order to prove her innocence. If Liz is The Carver, I guess she has certain motives and she’s certainly clever enough to avoid suspicion but I would actually hate if it was her. Whoever The Carver is anyone’s guess (however it is most definitely not Christian) but what I’m more intrigued is the logic behind their insane and twisted motive. That and how much more carnage will we have to go through in the next couple of weeks.

Also in “Rhea Reynolds”

Other patients of the week: Sean examined Christian’s rectum for infection, there was also an unseen rhinoplasty and a rather random liposuction.

Matt (to Sean): “That’s another thing. Abusers always say they are victims too”.

Christian: “How’s the restraining order?”
    Sean: “I feel shitty and goddamn hopeless”.

In regards to Sean and Christian’s conversation, it seems the latter’s emotional stress is signalling physical symptoms. Same thing happened to Julia in “Agatha Ripp”.

Carl (re Ellie): “She’s the love of my life. She never comes to see me”.

We learn there is a victim support group called Stand Up. Their slogan – “Victim Are But Little Lower Angels” weirds me out though.

Sean: “My guess it’s phantom pain”
    Christian: “Who do I see for phantom pain, Ghostbusters?”

Character bits: Annie’s middle name is Catherine, Liz once dated a woman who was into cutting herself and Christian and Kit aren’t on speaking terms.

Sean (to Ellie): “It’s a healing thing, it’s crucial. You can’t just skip to the good parts of life”.

Christian (to Liz/Quentin): “She did this to herself. She used a grapefruit knife”
    Rhea: “Who cares what it was, shithead”.

No clear chronological reference from the previous episode.

Sean (to Matt): “Come on and give me your best shot. Pain for pain. Then we’ll be even”.

Liz (re anaesthesia): “I can’t do that”
    Christian: “Yes you can. I can use a few moments of oblivion”.

Standout music: “Those Were The Days” by Susan Lainey and “Numb” by Sia.

After waiting so long, it’s finally great to have The Carver back and while his/hers return was a great way of ending “Rhea Reynolds”, it’s actually the interpersonal dynamics that are tonight’s strongest points, including Christian opening up to Sean about his attack a bit more. Although, after watching this episode, you’ll never want to cry wolf about anything ever again.

• This was a disturbing episode of Nip/Tuck. In it we saw the reappearance of the Carver. Some self harm and some disturbing surgery scenes.

The story of Rhea Reynolds was disturbing. Her perky attitude was interesting but understandable especially when it came to light that she was lying about her attack. Her surgery was frightening. At first when she started talking I was confused and thought that maybe it was Christian hallucinating but when I saw that tear roll down her face at the end of the scene…. Powerful stuff. On the matter of the surgery I felt sorry for Liz because she seemed so sad and desperate at the end. Christian allowing her to test the anaesthesia on him was a bit weird and to be honest I don’t quite get why he did that.
    The scene at the end with the Carver was terrifying and I could barely watch it. I did listen however and I couldn’t help but notice that the Carvers voice sounded like Quinton’s. Probably wasn’t but you never know. On the issue of Rhea getting carved- its kind of poetic justice because she wanted to be attacked by the Carver and she wanted to be noticed (not that I condone what the carver does obviously)

The other surgery storyline was really sweet but sad at the same time. It’s a shame that Nip/Tuck couldn’t make at least one happy storyline. One thing to note is the actual surgery. Did she have prosthetics on before or after the surgery- it looked as if she did before the surgery but it’s difficult to tell.

The Matt/Julia/Sean storyline was a bit strange but made interesting by 2 things; little Annie- who was so upset by what was happening and Sean’s self-harm, which again I couldn’t watch. Dylan Walsh does such a good job in this scene as he did throughout the whole episode. Overall, a good episode that had some really sad and some dramatic moments.
  • A crazy woman pretends she was "carved" and then is tortured with an operation where she can feel everything, but cannot move or speak, she freaks out, and Christian is on to her. Matt takes out a restraining order against Sean and that leads to more tro

This episode was one of the super creepy- and uncomfortable to watch how weird people are... those are my favorite. Several of the scenes outside of the operating room were of the type you have to look through your fingers and squinch your face up to make it through. Although I thought Christian lacked his usual depth- that chick that carved herself really disturbed me. I love that. I think she was the perfect psycho, not too over the top, goose bumps and involuntary tears in the eyes... that's how you know. It was a little predictable for her to actually get attacked at the end, but not until we were actually in her house, so it is forgiven. The Sean/ Matt/ Julia thing- stll pretty frustrating, I was of course interested, but really ready to get that sorted out.
  • Sean's life falls apart as he realises the McNamara household will never be the same again.

Sean McNamara must have it hard. A month ago his life was in danger from a serial rapist. His partner has difficulty returning to work, his wife sleeps with him despite filing for divorce, and to top it all off, his son has totally gone off the rails. And that's all before this episode...

After their physicial conflict in the previous episode, Matt files for a restraining order against Sean, prompting Child Support agents turning up to question Annie and review her safety. It's ludicrous, and neither characters add anything. Annie does however ger what seems like her first scene in ages, and pulls it off as best she can. Getting dragged off to Julia's however, it doesnt look like we'll see her again soon...

Because of this scene amongst others, and Matt's current state of mind, there's a LOT of friction in this episode between Matt and Sean. They still aren't getting along, and once again Hensley continues to impress. Also interesting is the ongoing rivalry that is Christian and Quentin, hopefully something that develops further over the coming episodes.

The patient this week is a woman called Rhea Reynolds. She turns up at the consultation, having been taken on as a result of being yet another Carver victim. She's clearly deluded, talking far too much throughout the meeting, and smiling oh so often, a little too upbeat for a Carver victim. Furthermore, she asks for her nose to be done when she's under, something that only reinforces Christian dislike and suspicion of her.

Her surgery is interesting in that "she doesn't go under". The anasthetic doesnt kick in, and she can feel and hear everything throughout the entire surgery. We can hear her thoughts, and through the use of a very nice first-person-view, the scene is undoubtedly one of the highlights of this episode, if only because it's an interesting concept. As a result of the painful surgery however she hires a lawyer, but after some home truths are revealed, it soon ends up that nothing happens, all in the space of five minutes at best. A wasted oppurtunity?

The closing scene of the episode is again with Rhea Reynolds. She's in her house making food, and when the fridge door shuts, the Carver makes his entrance. Dissapointed at her lies and bad handwork, he does the job himself, striking with his knife. It works, but as the episodes go on and on, the Carver unfortunately, is getting less and less scary.

Sadly, while the story strands and scenes in this episode work, it's overall presentation and combination of them dont. The individual elements dont work as well when combined, and there seems to be no true theme throughout the episode. The episode is however a lot better than 'Boone, and despite being a "bad episode" of Nip/Tuck, it's still fantastic viewing. Ryan Murphy should be careful with where he goes from here however...
  • Nip/tuck turns to something wrong...

4.8
    Aie... Nip/Tuck... I was a big fan and now (like for alias) I am just a spectator...

The new super plot is about an ugly woman named Rhea Reynolds who seems to be attacked by the carver, actually everybody knows that she is lying and obviously she is lying but... everybody tries to believe the storyline...
    As usual MaTT is boring and annoying about everything. Ava, his father, his family etc etc.
    The baddest thing ever is the plot about Sean and the guys from the social service. (called by matt himself from the last episode...greatttt)
    Julia (as usual) is lost... lost, lost and lost! she doesn't understand anything, she doesn't have any word to say and she is totally boring.
    The good thing is maybe the carver at the end... (the spanish doctor, no doubt about it)
  • "Completely and utterly predictable"

6.1
    "Completely and utterly predictable" is how I'd describe both the RR episode as well as this season so far. As soon as it was revealed that Rhea made up the attack for attention, gee, could an actual Carver attack on Rhea be far behind? Likewise the season opener, introduce a beautiful female character, gee, how long will it take for Dr. Troy to bed her (not very long, as it turns out)?

Back to the RR episode, they seemed to not only come back to the well too many times with the Carver but also with Sean's problems with Matt, as in gee, how long will it take for Matt to throw yet another prepubescent male PMS fit? Again, not very long, as it turns out.

BTW, folks, isn't it pretty obvious that they're trying to push the Dr. Costa-is-the-Carver red herring a bit too much? Don't count on the Q to be the big reveal at the end of the season; for once, Murphy & Co. won't go with the "Captain Obvious" choice.
  • Very dramatic episode. It was definitely my favorite episode so far this season.

I thought this episode was extremely intense and dramatic. Several parts of the episode made me want to cry, and I could really feel the pain of some of the characters -- like Dr. McNamara struggling with his family situation and the elderly woman with the alzheimer-striken husband.
    There were quite a few times I was tense during the episode, either from feeling pain (such as when the young woman could feel the entire pain during her surgery) or from wondering what was going to happen next.
    I know this was certainly my favorite episode so far this season, and I believe several would say it is the best one so far this season.
    I, for one, am eagerly and anxiously awaiting the next episode.
  • When //is// the anesthesia gonna kick in?

I've heard of cases like this -- where a patient is completely awake and unable to communicate during the surgery. And I hadn't even thought about the fact that they'd never explored that in this series yet.

OMG, did they pick an excellent storyline to bring it in.

Rhea's a nutcase, pure and simple. With as high-profile as the Carver is, any kind of Meunschhausen type deal like she did would only draw his fire, whoever he is, so on one level, she was asking for it.

But the actress who played her was so good. Her screams during the surgery played havoc with my soul -- even while I was certain that Christian was right, and that she wasn't a true victim of the Carver.

I thought it was a good move to have her confess while her attorney was confronting Christian and Quentin. It provided her with a little sympathy going into that final scene.

And forgive me, but they really present the Carver well. He's so scary -- swathed in black with that impassively scary ceramic face -- deeply disturbing. Along with the serial arsonist at the end of "The Closer" -- the guy who dumps a grain-alcohol martini down his victim's throat and lights a match -- The Carver's one of the most well-conceived and frightening recurring criminals on cable.

"Have you ever hurt anyone close to you?"

Oh, that woman was a peach. And she had no idea what she was asking and who she was asking it of. I felt so bad for Sean. And when they were repairing a cutter in the opening scene, I had no sense that they'd circle back to Sean cutting himself to address the formless, shapeless pain of his son's estrangement.

And Christian's formless, shapeless pain as well. I loved Sean's line: "Please. What part of your being or having an a**hole do you think would surprise me?"

I'm ... really glad Christian opened up and told someone. I'm surprised he didn't break down a little more, but it //has// been a month or more. But it was a good way to bring up the long-term devastation the Carver had on his well-being.

This show has sometimes had to work harder than it might to make the highlighted surgeries illustrate the story, but last night's eppy did a good job -- a fake Carver victim highlighting the paralyzed pain of a real one, and the role of time in the healing process.

The effect of Matt's restraining order on the rest of his family was just heartbreaking. I've wondered about Annie (or, I guess now it's "Ann") because at the end of S2 she wasn't completely thrilled with Sean -- it was the story of Sean's father's desertion playing out all over again. It seems like she's decided to forgive him, although like everyone else in this family, she's not the most expressive person.

I can't wait 'til S8 when a 17-year-old Annie starts cataloging all of the stuff she's witnessed over the course of her time in that family. Course, she'll have to climb out from underneath Christian and shake off the effects of the roofie (how screwed up would that situation be?)

And confess to being The Carver. :D

I was floored by how subtle such a balls-out production like "Nip/Tuck" could actually be. Sean's inability to reach his son, his self-loathing inability to even hug his daughter and -- y'know, Julia was amazing in last night's episode -- showing up to defend Sean in that situation was a depth of her character I haven't seen for a while. Whatever she thought of Sean after his confrontation with Matt in her apartment, she knows her daughter needs her daddy.

It was a good episode. Not the best ever, naturally, but it had a few deeply emotional moments -- "You're very pretty. This is my girlfriend, Trudy" -- the screaming surgery, Matt's general prickishness and Sean's holding pattern of pain and regret.

Well done, everyone. Well done.
  • Wow .... freaking unbelievably amazing episode tonight. Best episode of the season so far without a doubt.

Now, on a personal note, that Alzheimer's story really hit home. It was a very emotional story that the old woman told Sean, and when we saw her husband at the home, that was pretty intense.

Meanwhile, Sean confronting Matt on the restraining order? Wow ... that scene was so dramatic and so real it was amazing. This is exactly why Nip/TUck is the best show on TV right now. It's got the best writers, the best directors, the best producers, and oh yeah .. Julian McMahon. BUt seriously, wow ... when Matt went for the phone and Sean violently went to knock it you could totally relate to that ... emotional, intense words between them, yet at the same time totally relatable. AWESOME. Pure genius.

But this episode also proved how stupid and retarded social workers are. My god .... retards. I think Sean said it best in response to Annie's bruises on her legs: "She plays soccer, you moron!"

OMG ... one of the most amazing scenes in Nip/Tuck history! Apparently karma caught up with the lying Carver victim. SHe obviously cut herself in an attempt to get a free plastic surgery and passed it off as the Carver's work ... but she ended up being only partially affected by the anesthesia, to the point where it seemed like she was under but she could feel everything they were doing to her! Damn ... that was unbelievable ... we heard her thoughts screaming as her face was being cut up .... damn ..... that had to HURT like hell. Pretty intense screaming there.

Jesus.

Oh man .... that was awesome .... the old woman finally goes through it all and gets her old image back ... only to find out her husband has completely forgotten the woman he married ... then she chose to sit next to him and his new girlfriend ... it was so sad .... she can never get him back and never make up for what she did .... amazingly well written.

But damn! Now McNamara-Troy is in trouble! The lying b*tch is suing them for the horrible pain she endured because of their defective drugs! That was pretty horrible, but now they'll have to pay for her karma coming back to haunt her. She got what was coming to her though, as the Carver caught her in her house and allegedly murdered her, as we see Christian being framed for murder in the trailer previews for the next ep. So now the Carver kills her because he knows she lied to get the surgery in which the pain almost killed her? Damn .... intense. Which leads me to believe the Carver really is the new doctor.

And finally, Matt has rescinded the restraining order ... but has broken all ties with his father. Now Sean cuts himself ... to bring pain to himself because he can't deal with the pain that's been brought to him.

My rating:

9.7/10
  • This was a great episode that explores pain and the relationship between physical pain and emotional pain. It shows the two main characters and two patients all grappling with pain and contemplating its relation and consequences.

Wow, what an exceptional episode. I was glad to see a return to Christian's aftermath of being attacked, and I enjoyed the patient parallels of this episode more than I usually do. There was a pang of reality in this episode that I found refreshing. Especially with what seemed like the theme to me: Some problems can not be quickly fixed, maybe not fixed at all.

We clearly see Sean slipping in this episode. He, in fact, seems to be developing an anger problem that is hurting his relationships with his family. I liked his scene with Matt at the end; it shows how desperate Sean is getting to fix things. He was always a family man, and now is being forced to redefine himself. I liked how Sean's last scene was foreshadowed by the beginning. I was impressed the writers broke the "cutter" stereotype of "teenage girl", something rarely seen very often.

We see Christian struggle with his emotions about his attack, and I found it all very real. I originally found it very interesting how his pessimism/realism about his attack was starkly contrasted by Rhea's optimism, but it was even more interesting how we slowly saw that she was lying. Her surgery scene was quite shocking, and I love how this show never ceases to surprise us. I first thought that someone in the McNamara/Troy office was the Carver, as someone there knew Rhea was lying and switched the paralyzing drug with the anesthesia. However, the final scene made me doubt that idea. I don’t think the Carver would twice give her the pain she “wanted”. Amazing irony that the woman who lied about being attacked by the Carver got carved by the surgeons she enlisted to repair her self-inflicted wounds.

I saw the final scene coming about 10 seconds before it happened, and almost chuckled at the irony. A great touch to the episode and an excellent plot setup for next week, which I eagerly await.

• interesting episode.

Very interesting episode. This one seems to make you wanna watch the upcoming episodes. I would have to say during this episode I did not wanna turn the channel once because I just HAD to know what was gonna happen. Without putting any spoilers I agreed with the way they ended it and I don't think the writers could have done a better job.