Nip/Tuck

Rose & Raven Rosenberg

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Aug 17, 2004 on FX

• Sean: (to Christian) "There's no statue of limitations on being a backstabbing assh*le. After what you did, how could I ever trust you again?"

There's a nice subtle awkwardness between the members of the McNamara family now. The breakfast between Matt and Sean most accurately displayed that, as Sean tried to frankly discuss with Matt how he feels about finding out that Christian's his father to no positive results. While Matt did tell Sean that he was his real father, not Christian, it felt cold and rehearsed and not like Matt really meant it. The one thing Matt has inherited from Sean is his habit to isolate his emotions from others, and as a result half the time I have no idea what’s going on in his head.

Matt did show that he has lost respect for both of his parents as he yelled at both of them today. I don't think Matt even knows what he's truly feeling, as first he criticizes Sean for kicking out Julia then he shouts at Julia for ruining the family. He just has a lot of anger pilled up inside of him, and his sense of betrayal added to his feelings of fury are what's causing him to isolate himself from his family with Ava; which can’t lead to anything good.

Our main patients of the week were Rose and Raven Rosenberg, two conjoined twins who wanted to be seperated. The two twins were symbolic for the state of Sean's relationship with Christian, and Sean's want to dismantle their practice. Sean comes to the conclusion at the end of the episode though, like Mrs. Rosenberg did about her daughters, that he and Christian are stronger together than apart.

We got a good examination of Christian and Sean's friendship, present and past today, and as much as I hated seeing them bickering and apart for the episode I was glad we didn't get a nice wrapped up solution for their problem. Sean has told Christian, as he rightfully should, that he will never be able to forgive him for what he did, but that he's willing to continue the practice with him. While I know in time their shattered friendship will heal, will things ever be completely the same?

Final Notes and Quotes

- Character Tidbits: Sean and Christian each earn about 1.4 million dollars a year.

- I thought Sean and Christian’s Q&A on the plane was well done. The only way their friendship will ever recover is if all their secrets are out in the open.

- Sean: "Isn't this what you've always wanted Christian? Isn't this your dream? Being part of Julia and I here, not being the outsider looking in?"

- The song Can We Still Be Friends was a perfect choice for Sean and Christian’s Ménage a trios with the Julia look-alike hooker. "We can't play this game anymore, but still can we be friends?"

- Liz: "You're not just dismantling a business. You're dismantling a family."

- I’m starting an Outstanding Performance of the Week award, and this week it goes to Dylan Walsh for his portrayal of Sean struggling to examine and repair his rocky friendship with Christian.

- Matt: "I'm going to Ava's."

Julia: “You’re seeing her again?"

Matt: "At least I can trust her. She's the only real adult in my life."

When the only person you can trust is a manipulative pedophile, you know you’re going through rough times.

Final Rating: Another great episode. 3 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com
LOGO