Nip/Tuck

Rose & Raven Rosenberg

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Aug 17, 2004 on FX

• Can We Still Be Friends? One of the best episode's ever!

Hello all! I've been wanting to review this episode for a long time. To begin with, this is one of my favorite episodes of the series so far. After watching five seasons in two years time, this episode is still one of the show's richest and finest installments third to Joan Rivers and Adelle Coffin.
    I really loved the surgery aspect of the episode since it ties so true to Sean & Christian. The fighting duo travel to New York City to perform an operation on conjoined twins Rose & Raven who wish to be separated. Meanwhile, at the same time Sean & Christian are getting a "divorce" and splitting their practice because of Julia. Julia? Puh-leaze. Well I liked Julia in Season 2 so I guess its OK. But what Julia evolves into in Season 5 is pretty awful.
    Everybody in this episode is looking for somewhere to belong. There's a wonderful scene in the cafeteria of the university where they are residing where Sean looks over at two young students studying when a blonde girl walks over. This is definitely intended to be a symbolism of who Sean and Christian once were. Christian leached off of Sean and Sean is the reason for his true success while Christian drank and boinked every girl in sight.
    I won't spoil what happens during the twins' surgery but its pretty profound and poignant. They both wanted to experience this together but if one died, the other did not wish to live. Its like they want to be separate but need each other at the same time. Despite their flaws, Sean and Christian were made for each other as both friends and partners. The best moment of the episode was when Sean and Christian had a threesome with a hooker while smoking pot and shagging the crap out of her. They pretend she's Julia, share her and then reconcile. All this at the same time that Todd Rundgren's song "Can We Still Be Friends" plays in the background. What an awesome and wise music choice. I seriously love the music coordinator on this show. Between this, Don't Fear the Reaper and The Flower Duet playing during the surgery, I feel like Ryan Murphy and myself share the same iPod.
    Seriously, I can't say enough good things about this episode. It was truly a groundbreaking surgery, great conclusion from last week's thrilling installment and was overall a step in the right direction. I love this show, still do but this is really a fine example of why I and many watch the show.