No Ordinary Family

Pilot

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Sep 28, 2010 on ABC

• What this family lacks in chemistry, they make up in cool & fun scenes.

Many scenes of the family together lacked chemistry and seemed boring. I also noticed a lack of soundtrack in these key bore-scenes; did the music editor take a holiday or something?

Individually, most characters had great scenes. I loved the mother's 2 major running scenes, they were done very well. The dad's scenes were great and he had alot of chemistry with his friend (who becomes "Wi-Fi").

Kay Panabaker's character was a big disappointment. I love the actress so I blame it on the character written too whiny and a real kill-joy.

The effects were great, even if they overdid the dad's jump landing. Seriously, the way he tore the ground the 1st few times landing, he'd be destroying all those buildings he's jumping on.
    I loved the twist with the super-bad guy; it gave more dimension to what looked like too mellow a show until then.

While there's much improvement needed, there were enough fun scenes to keep me watching and the story development looks hopeful. I'll watch more!
  • The pilot episode for "No Ordinary Family" finds the family discovering their powers after a freak plane accident!

Gotta say that I was not too impressed with this pilot and I really wanted to like this show. The pilot had too many cliches and the writing was sloppy.

First the family drama was over the top and non-believable. The plane crash was met with unrealistic reaction and of course there's no follow-up to how they got home, investigation, etc.

The initial discovery of their powers are pretty silly as well. The idea that a friend would willfully shoot his friend????? Why not shoot yourself or have your friend shoot just to the side of you? After this insane scene the friend then is crazy enough to suggest a flight attempt when there were better ways to test "flying" abilities.

The mother with the running in the middle of a busy freeway without getting hit or running into a car changing lanes (which of course just so happen none were changing lanes at all)? You then stop in the middle of a freeway with no reaction from the drivers?

The only part of the show I enjoyed was the quick fight scene between Mike and the Villian. I'll be trying this show again to hope they pick up the tension, fights, and drop some of the outrageous!
  • Pilot

The pilot episode of No Ordinary Family was really good. I enjoyed the way the story unfolded. The parents were awesome, the kids I'm not sure if they are going to be annoying or cool. I think this series is kind of similar to Kyle XY in the way every thing is going to relate to each other. I thought the powers were cool and the supporting characters interesting. This series could go either way and so I will definitely watch the next episode and I look forward to seeing more of how the family deals with their new powers!!!!!
  • Entertaining, Funny and Heartwarming

I wasn't sure what to expect from the show, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I loved the episode! The story was established quickly and we got to know the family, their dynamic and many of their quirks in the opening episode.

This isn't like most shows I watch in that it's not a crime drama and it certainly does not appear that it will be made up of stand-alone episodes, but developing storylines for each family member and the family as a whole.

I love the relationship between Jim and Stephanie. Michael Chiklis and Julie Benz make an interesting couple, but it's clear that they love each other and want their marriage and family to stay together and be happy, and that takes work. For me, that's the heartwarming part.

I"m very much looking forward to Episode #2.
  • No Ordinary Series

This is one amazing series. I didn't like the way Tv.com bashed it. It has a few cliches sure,but it is a well enough series to override that fact.
    Father:His powers are good and I enjoy his character. He struggling with his family and I can relate,because my father is struggling with the family. Mother: Her powers are impressive. I like the struggle with her marriage to the father. Hopefully they overcome this.

Daughter: Kay Panabaker is the perfect choice for the daughter. Kay is the reason I started watching the show. Her telepath powers are interesting,but I'm unsure how far they can extend.

Son: Right of the bat,I will say he deserved more screen time. I can relate to his struggle in math. The use of his powers at the end of "Pilot" was excellent.

George:The father's friend is funny as heck. He makes a good addition. A little exaggerated at times though.

All in all,a great show.
  • After a plane crash in the ocean, the Powell family discovers they have super powers.

While No Ordinary Family presented a very decent premiere, there are a few points that irritated me a lot.

First of, while I agree things can't be brought too serious, things felt a little too cartoony. I guess the whole superpower thing brings a lot of campy-ness to a show, mostly the scenes with Jim (Michael Chiklis) were over the top and even though I like Romany Malco, his character is horrible.

Second, the interview scenes don't really fit into the concept imo and they take the pace out of the episode. I've heard they'll be gone after a few episodes, so that's good, but while reviewing THIS episode, I couldn't help but count it in.

Finally, there's the teenage daughter, Daphne. The actress is doing an ok job with her material, it's just too bad her material is horrible. At least for now, she's just another bratty teenager and due to her resentment against spending time with her family, she really seems like a threat to the concept of the show, being a no ordinary FAMILY. Giving her the power of reading minds might not have been the best choice, seeing as this will only create more problems at this point (highschool drama etc.), but I guess this is just another case of wait and see.

After watching the premiere, I can only conclude this is a decent show which is still suffering because of few bad decisions at the start, but they have a good cast (Julie Benz did a great job) and a storyline with potential, so I'll stick with it for now and see where it goes. It certainly doesn't have a lot of competition in the genre right now (I'm not counting the CW-shows right now, speaking about bigger audience) and with Heroes gone, this might just be the replacement some people are looking for. Or maybe not, since many shows like these have died a slow death. Only time will tell.
  • Very Solid Pilot was very entertaining!

Going into this pilot i didn't have very much Tuesday night shows to watch so to have liking this pilot was very pleasing. We don't have much tv shows like this anymore with this much action family, comedy shows anymore. You can see the cast has great chemsitry and it works well together. the development of the characters was going well the series is going to be intresting on how all this plays out and what will be the real plot, that scene at the end was intresting, didn't know what it was but it was intresting and that fight scene with the criminal could also mean they could be up against other super heroes but we'll have to see, let's hope this series does as it is against Glee (Sigh). Overall very solid pilot, definetly will be tuning in next week!
  • Harmless fun that hints at some interesting developments.

8:00's just got a lot more crowded on Tuesday nights. While I'm not a fan of NCIS and see Glee as my guilty pleasure, No Ordinary Family is my kind of show. A superhero premise that has some comedy and three excellent actors who each spent a good amount of time on excellent shows. The pilot is shaky, has some truly weak moments, but what it lacks in some areas it more than makes up for with acting and potential.

The premise is well-known by now, but I'll reiterate anyways: the Powell family heads to Brazil for a family vacation and ends up crashing into a small pond. Upon returning home, they slowly start discovering that they've obtained powers that range from being nearly indestructible to running fast and even telepathy. The pilot is mostly set-up and contains the bare minimum of character development. We barely skim the surface of some of these characters, and despite having plenty of charm and humor, they lack a heart.

This is the first episode though, so some slack is allowed. But there's no denying the cast is infectious. Michael Chiklis, Julie Benz and Romany Malco have spent most of their television career on premium cable, which makes their move to primetime a blessing for ABC. They all have their moments, and Malco as Jim Powell's good friend at the police department makes for a good sidekick. When he presented his Wi-Fi lair to Jim, I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

The episode also took a left turn about thirty minutes in, where we realized the Powell family is not the only group of people to have powers. Powell is attempting to stop a villain and ends up fighting a guy who can disappear and reappear. It's an interesting twist, and the final scene gives us the hint that there's some big things that could be standing in the way of the Powell family.

The show has a lot of promise and could even grow from here on out. They just need to find a way to make every part of the show interesting instead of just one. I want to care about this family.. but so far, I'm not there. I have high hopes though.. we need a good new superhero show on primetime television, and this show may be the one to fill the slot.