North and South

ABC (ended 1994)

boom-moo

North and South Fan Reviews (3)

• I wish they still made television like this superb adaptation of John Jakes' excellent books.

Filmed in three parts, "North and South" was one of the most epic mini-series of its time. Starring Patrick Swayze, James Read, Jean Simmons, Genie Francis and Kirstie Alley among others, the series told the story of the Hazard and Main families, from Pennsylvania and South Carolina respectively, and the strong friendship between the sons of each, George Hazard and Orry Main.

This friendship endured the hardships of West Point, the horrors of the American Civil War and betrayal by members of their own families. Superb filming and equally wonderful costumes made this series a 'must see' for American history buffs.

Of course, there were many inaccuracies but television and film do that all the time, and they didn't take away from the lavish spectacle of the series itself for one minute. It is a series that can be watched over and over again without boredom and is highly entertaining, particularly parts 1 and 2. I felt that part 3 lost a lot with the exit of Patrick Swayze but, apart from that, it was a stellar cast throughout and I have no complaints.