Northern Exposure Forums

CBS (ended 1995)

Discussion seasons 1, 2 and 3

Okapilady

[1]Feb 28, 2006
    • level: 10
    Okay, who wants to talk 'Northern Exposure'? I don't really know how to make this tread. I think we are all done watching the first 3 seasons. If this discussion is a success we could create later on another tread for s.4, etc. So, this is s.1 to 3, please no spoilers about the upcoming seasons!

What i LOVE about 'Northern Exposure' is the intelligence. It's in intelligent show that promotes knowledge. I love to hear Christ talk about whatever he feels like, or the film discussion Ed has with everyone, or all the fantastic things Marilin does.

This series is getting older, but it doesn't feel dated. The dialogue is great and the stories always fun. It is so well done it doesn't need to be recent to capture the publics imagination.

I was happy about the end of s.3. There were two unresolved issues that stated to drag along. Joel hating Cicely and the Joel and Maggie relationship. Although the situation between J & M. did changes in s.3, i think it will still be around a long time. I really like the last ep. of s.3 'Cicely' when Joel finally learns to appreciate and love his adoption town. I feel like the series can move on from there.

And i can't wait to see where s.4 will lead us.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

anne54

[2]Mar 6, 2006
    • level: 2
    I had to ignore the last few lines of what you wrote, I still haven't watched about 1/3 of season 3 yet.

But, I agree. I love listening to the subject Chris brings up. And I love the way Marilyn's tone of voice never changes, and that anything and everything she says is genuine. When it aired here I was about 19. Everything about what they do and say makes so much sense to you and it's personal.

Didn't you love Adam?

Okapilady

[3]Mar 6, 2006
    I looks like this conversation will be a dialogue. I hope others will join later on.

Well, personally i didn't even speak English when it first aired. So now is the perfect time to watch. You will love the end of s.3.

Yes, Adam. Such on interesting character. So misanthrope, but at the same time he profoundly loves his wife. He's an hermit that somehow, deep inside himself, is found of humanity, or maybe of Cicely's humanity, since they are so different from the rest of the world.

I love that all the characters of this show have their very own personality and cherish who they are, right or wrong. Some are very unconventional and i love them for that, others are more "normal" but all are real. Completely human.

anne54

[4]Mar 7, 2006
    I agree, it really makes you think about things from your perspective and others. I looked forward to listening to Chris in the morning almost like being in a classroom listening to a teacher. For instance, I would never have thought about the book 'Paddle to the Sea', and will probably encourage my son to read when he's a teenager.

At the time it aired the music play was not like any other programme as well.

I'll make sure I watch the remaining episodes over the next couple of weeks. I can't wait now.
    Edited on 03/08/2006 3:37am
    Edited 2 total times.

Okapilady

[5]Mar 9, 2006
    I have a very bad memory. Which is good because i can watch tv shows over and over again and discover new thing every time. But it is really bad when i try to have a conversation about a show i saw a year ago... Like Northern Exposure. (But i might buy s.4, thinking about it, but i don't like to spend money...).

So, what to say about NE that i remember... Well the Joel character. I is very much was many viewers are. A guy from the city (ok, we are not all snobs like he is and some of us, although not used to nature do appreciate it) completely lost in the wilderness. So, it is interesting to discover the culture of Cicely thru his "foreigners" eyes. All the weird behavious which is normal to everybody else seems extraordinary to him as it probably be for us too. The thing is that he hates it and has to learn to love Alaska, come over his bad temper and his stubornness.

anne54

[6]Mar 18, 2006
    Well, I have only 3 episodes to go. I too, am watching it almost like the first time. I can remember that I have seen the episode when it first aired, but only bits of it so I can still enjoy watching.

Chris seems the obvious choice to like the most, but really it is difficult to choose.

I have just lent season one to a friend, and cannot wait for her reaction.
    Edited on 03/18/2006 3:18am

anne54

[7]Mar 21, 2006
    I love the ending of Season 3. Brilliant.

Okapilady

[8]Mar 22, 2006
    Oh, i'm happy you finally saw it. It's good, hein! I can't wait to see the changes in Joel's character, now that he loves Cicely. It was the right time to do it, the "i hate Cicely" routine was getting redundant.

I can't wait for s.4. Maybe i'll buy it, i most think!

anne54

[9]Mar 22, 2006
    I'm surprised you're thinking about it. I'm glad that I have only just finished it knowing the next one will arrive in a few weeks.

I think Joel loves Alaska, but his character would dismiss New York for anything.

Is it on screen near you why you won't buy it yet?

Okapilady

[10]Mar 22, 2006
    I think the release date for North America for s.4 in next week, March 28. It's much cheaper then the first seasons, but i don't know if it is the kind of show i would watch over and over again.

anne54

[11]Mar 25, 2006
    It is the 28th March. I just found out season 3 was released here in the UK on January 30th. That means season 4 will probably arrive here at the end of the year and I can't wait that long.

Okapilady

[12]Mar 26, 2006
    WEll, it sucks to be you!! I hope my videostore will buy it soon. I can,t wait to see it.

anne54

[13]Mar 28, 2006
    Oh no, I wouldn't be able to wait for the releases here. I'm fairly new at buying dvd's, and luckily I purchases a multi-region player.

Amazon have just confirm that season 4 I ordered has been shipped.

Okapilady

[14]Mar 28, 2006
    anne54 wrote:
    Oh no, I wouldn't be able to wait for the releases here. I'm fairly new at buying dvd's, and luckily I purchases a multi-region player.

Amazon have just confirm that season 4 I ordered has been shipped.

I well, that is good. I don't know when i'll get to see them. I whish i had a multilayer dvd player. They are a lot of British shows i'd like to see, or European movies i would buy. (I'll looking at my videostores to see if any bought season 4).

anne54

[15]Apr 3, 2006
    What shows do you like?

Okapilady

[16]Apr 6, 2006
    anne54 wrote:
    What shows do you like?

Right now i am watching "Spooks", which is really good. "Cold Feet", it's alright... I loved "Ultraviolet", but it started to be really good only toward the end of the serie... I saw some BBC mini-series, which were interesting. Basically, i see what is available is somewhat related to my interests...

anne54

[17]Apr 7, 2006
    I use to watch 'Cold Feet' and liked it as well. Unfortunately, I never watched 'Spooks', but it was always recommended to me. But, if you like books as well, I saw a bookclub on TV last year and they were praising one called 'Good News Bad News’ by David Wolstencroft - he's the writer for 'Spooks'.

Okapilady

[18]Apr 11, 2006
    Well, thanks for the recomendation. I'll try to go check it out. Although i don't read spy books, i only watch one tv show about that world. But you should really see "Spooks", it's quite good.

paulproulx

[19]Apr 27, 2006
    When they were showing all the reruns (in order!) on A&E, I spent the better part of a year recording them all on VHS tape (2 per tape, thank you very much!).  When they brought it over to DVD, they did a great job with the sound, nice stereo on the opening.

I've bought some DVD's for The Sopranos, the X-Files, Black Adder and The Young Ones, but NE is the pride of my collection, and one of the few I know will get lots of uses!

I have to add that I love watching them on DVD, as the mood at the end was always broken by the annoying loud announcements for the 10 o'clock news back when they first aired.  The DVD's allow you to sit back and simmer in the tone left with the last lines.