Northern Exposure Forums

CBS (ended 1995)

Men in Trees: Nothern Exp ripoff ? Similarities/Differnces

DigitLeBoid

[1]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 8

Fish out of water series.  Urbanite finds him/herself in Alaska against their will and ends up staying.  Must adjust big city ways and learn to appreciate the local/folk culture.  The similarities are obvious.  -- and of course there's the Local A.M. Radio Talk Show who comments on much of the action.

On the differences side.  Trees is a relationship show -- Sex in the Non-City.  The lead character is also voluntarily trying to immerse herself in the culture, although her Big City ways are the main source of humor. 

Overall NE and Trees are in a different league.  So much more avant-garde humor on NE.  Trees can get downright cheesey.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cori260

[2]Oct 30, 2006
    • level: 2
    I think Men in Trees will only improve if givent the opportunity.  The first episodes of NE weren't all they could have been.

Okapilady

[3]Dec 29, 2006
    • level: 10
    Really, except for the obvious similarities, those two shows have nothing in common. I don't know why i can't stop watching "MinT", I'm a bit ashamed about that! But really, there is no series around that can reach the magic that was on "NEx". No shows with such passion for knowledge, imagination, discovery.

I would listen to "Chris in The Morning" for hours on if it really existed, but I really can't say the same about Patrick's show.