Northern Exposure

My Mother, My Sister

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Mar 16, 1992 on CBS

• Teen Mom (Sort of)

In My Mother, My Sister, three great story lines share the theme of motherhood. Shelley receives a visit from her 36-going-on-16 year old mother, an anonymous baby is abandoned in Joel's office and gets shared mothering from the community, and in a hilarious twist, Adam experiences Couvade syndrome, also known as sympathetic pregnancy.

Shelley and her attractive, youthful mom Tammy (Wendy Schaal) have always passed each other off to other people as sisters. Shelley balks at continuing the lie, however, when she realizes that Tammy has sold the same story to her much-younger new boyfriend Kenny (Sean O'Bryan), a clean-cut, somewhat naive Army mechanic.

This episode contains some clever humor throughout. The movie theater scene, where Shelley and Tammy make peace, is a gem of counter-intuitive humor. Adam's antics are always funny, but particularly so here, as he tries to figure out why his personality is changing. And here's a funny snippet from Shelley as she sums up love's mysteries:

- Holling: I think Kenny's gonna be a steadying influence on your mother.

-Shelley: She says the sex is dynamite.

-Holling: That's nice.

-Shelley: One of the three legs that hold up love's stool; sex, liking his brain, then kind of accepting who he is, because you're never gonna change him anyway.

The only minor flaw in this episode is the way the abandoned baby sub-plot concludes. It resolves too abruptly, with no explanation of why the baby was abandoned in the first place.

But this doesn't detract much from a very funny and imaginative episode.