Northern Exposure

Our Tribe

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jan 13, 1992 on CBS

• Heals With Tools

In Our Tribe, tribal elder Gloria Noanuk (played by the absolutely adorable Rosetta Pintado) seeks to adopt Joel into her tribe as repayment for "curing" her arthritis with a cortisone shot. Joel balks at first, but caves after Marilyn applies the cold-shoulder treatment.

He is forced to examine his lack of a close social network, best expressed through the following dialogue with Ed:

-Joel: I never really thought about it. I mean, belonging to a tribe.

I belong to the Jewish tribe, so to speak, but I'm also an American, you know? What does that mean? I mean, is there an American tribe? More like a zillion special interests. In my own case, I am a New Yorker. I am a Republican, a Knicks fan. Maybe we've outgrown tribes, you know? The global village thing. It's telephones, faxes, CNN. I mean, basically, we all belong to the same tribe.

-Ed: That's true. But you can't hang out with five billion people.

-Joel: That's a good point.

Holling closes The Brick under a veil of secrecy, and Maggie's curiosity causes her to pester him into telling her the truth. He had planned to use a telescope to search the night sky for a vanishing star named after a long lost lover, but is unable to locate it. Maggie consoles him with some Zen-like wisdom: "Holling, I guess what I'm trying to say is, uh, we're alive, we're here now. You and me and- I don't know where Eleanor is. But it's a beautiful night, and I'm glad to be here, and that's what matters. This. Now. And that's it.

All in all a nicely done episode, bearing out that you're never alone so long as you have people you can lean on.