Northern Exposure

Oy, Wilderness

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 07, 1991 on CBS

• love this episode

one of the things I love in the past few episodes is how maggie is refusing to admit to anyone, including herself of her attraction to joel. like it actaully bothers her that she is attracted to him. this leads to many amusing interactions between the two.

maggie and joel being stranded in the wilderness was clever and amusing. it made me think of how i would have dealt with such a situation. joel saving the day at the end and his burst of joy was very funny.

I like chris, he is so easy going and cool. i liked the scene when he is asked to do a divorce by shelly and her friend.

sorry about my english. I am an Israeli watching Northern Exposure in 2016 for the first time.
  • What to bring to the Divorce Ceremony?

The two wildest adversaries in this wilderness were Maggie and Joel. The writers use the setting to provide some good comedic counterpoint between Joel's concrete-to-conifer culture shock and Maggie's smug frontier know-how. Joel gets the last laugh, however, when he solves the plane's mechanical problem by comparing it to an arterial stenosis. The experience gives the two characters some time getting to know each other a little better, and hints at a developing subtext of romance.

The thread of Chris agreeing to perform the divorce ceremony for Shelley and Wayne is offbeat and hilarious.