Northern Exposure

The Bumpy Road to Love

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 23, 1991 on CBS

• Love This Episode

This episode artfully interweaves 3 subplots into a theme of dysfunctional relationships. Maggie is confronted with the unsettling realization that her former boyfriend, Rick, was a sex addict who had cheated on her. Maurice gets the cold shoulder from the pathologically dogmatic Officer Semanski over a trivial point of law. Valerie Mahaffey is introduced as Eve, an obsessive hypochondriac. Her mutually antagonistic love/hate relationship with Adam was so expertly played that it netted her an Emmy for Best Supporting Actress.
  • Adam is back!!!

I, like many other Northern Exposure fans, love Adam, and here, we get to see him again. We also get introduced to Eve, Adams better half. We also see that Maurice is in a relationship with Barbra...and he feels more for her then she does.

But a great part of the episode is Maggie, she finds about Rick, and his infidelity. A great way to start the best season of Northern Exposure.

And let me just say, it is nice to have a season that is more than eight episodes...the first 2 seasons were fine, but the show really hits its stride here.