Northern Exposure

Tranquility Base

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jul 26, 1995 on CBS

• An excellent ending for the remaining characters in the series.

Rob Marrow's exit from the show pretty much doomed it. The show had been about him and his experiences, which drove the series very well for 5 seasons. It was not surprising that nobody wanted to start over. However, although it had been about Joel, we had become invested in the other characters and wanted to see where they might be headed. This episode gives resolution to Maurice & Barbara's storyline, solidifies Chris & Maggie as a viable couple, and seems to leave the characters where we found them in the begining -- back to their lives, citizens of this small town who will continue living their lives together.

I was disappointed at the lack of nod from Joel. It would've been nice to have him in the final montage, perhaps looking at a picture of Maggie and smiling (yes, when I imagine it, it is really there). I was also disappointed that Maggie was only briefly in the episode. The Vincoeurs small roles worked out fine, as they received so much story throughout the series. There was nothing to wrap up with them. I was also not invested enough in the Capras or Hayden to justify so much story in what the writers already knew was the finale.

This episode is beautiful and the "Our Town" montage is such a great moment.