Numb3rs

Backscatter

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 05, 2006 on CBS

• Superb plot, limited only by execution

Some SPOILERS

Great idea for a plot providing the platform for a superb episode. The clever use of multiple conflicts involving the brothers, the bank staff, and even the original facilitators of the crime means that the episode never gets boring. It does have a few lulls in action, and I did find these to be not very well placed.

However, that shouldnt detract you from what is essentially an engaging episode that touches on many aspects of crime, law enforcement and maths. I do think there isnt enough coverage of maths in Numb3rs, but when you consider that the audience and the scope of the show its probably about right. The particular crime in this episode does an excellent job of taking you on the journey of the characters and immerses you in the situation of what we know its like having to rely on technology and goes on to demonstrate what it could be like when things goes wrong because of dangerous criminal elements.

While others did like the brothers relationship development I have to admit that I didnt find this at all entertaining, even if Charlie and Don original cause for argument - Don having Charlie off the case because of the Russian mafia involvment - was valid.

Overall, a great use of subject matter. More family conflict and a great case forms a show with mild twists and a few surprises.

- I cant remember if this is the episode where the brothers are having various dreams... if it is, I didnt particularly like the use of them!
ION