Numb3rs

Con Job

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Nov 20, 2009 on CBS

• The man who hijacked a bus and almost got away with $18 mil is back, but this time he's playing for the good guys...or is he? A mastermind using the exact playbook of John Buckley, the mastermind from "Jacked". Don reluctantly enlists Buckley's help.

Congratulations, guys, you're back on my Watch List.

Now THIS is more like it. The return of a bad guy, a new bad guy with the perfect crime, seat-edge suspense, enough twists to keep you guessing until the end, the kind of stuff good television is made of.

The many twists in this episode are quite unpredictable, most of them I didn't see coming, even the one at the very end. My favorite, perhaps is the one that involves a mirror and a couple of delivery guys. It's hard not to like Fisher Stevens' character. A villain that can only (and perhaps not this time) be outsmarted by Charlie Epps, the show's lead genius. A perfect mix of brains, charm, wit, and deviousness. He loves to play by the "Fooled You" crime playbook, and is the master of trickery. A true "Criminal Mastermind". I also love his newfound rivalry with Don, and his respect towards the Eppes Family. I can't wait until the next time these two meet again. And when they do, it'll probably be a surprise message on a Webcam. ;)

Bad guys being good, good guys being bad, always a hard one to pull off, but the writers did a terrific job of using flashbacks and settle elements for foreshadowing the conclusion. And in multiple ways, it was a "perfect" ending. Despite the lack of screentime, the performances by David Krumholtz, Rob Morrow, Judd Hirsh, and Navi Rawat get an 'A'.

Bravo on an episode that you can and should use as a model of comparison for your other episodes in the future.

- R.