Numb3rs Forums

CBS (ended 2010)

Amita

Tessenchan

[21]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 3

I'm definitely not an Amita fan. From day one, I have just not liked her. In the first episode it's quite clearly laid out that she has no role, no purpose, aside from being Charlie's girlfriend, and that is a bad way to begin a character. She has no personality, aside from being a Mary Sue, and I find her to be snotty and significantly disinterested in Charlie (though I think those might be the way the actress plays her. Either way, I have alot of issues with both the development and the portrayal of the character.)

Suffice to say, I'd prefer it if Charlie weren't with her, but it's pretty much engraved into canon that he's hung up on her big time, so those of us who hate her are bloody screwed.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ferdiaob

[22]Feb 11, 2007
    • level: 11
    Tessenchan wrote:

I'm definitely not an Amita fan. From day one, I have just not liked her. In the first episode it's quite clearly laid out that she has no role, no purpose, aside from being Charlie's girlfriend, and that is a bad way to begin a character. She has no personality, aside from being a Mary Sue, and I find her to be snotty and significantly disinterested in Charlie (though I think those might be the way the actress plays her. Either way, I have alot of issues with both the development and the portrayal of the character.)

Suffice to say, I'd prefer it if Charlie weren't with her, but it's pretty much engraved into canon that he's hung up on her big time, so those of us who hate her are bloody screwed.

I'm not so sure shes all that bad. I think the story moves much better when Chamita is in full swing, when there apart Charlies part of the episode is always boring, alot like Clark and Lana in Smallville.

Tessenchan

[23]Feb 11, 2007
    ferdiaob wrote:
    I'm not so sure shes all that bad. I think the story moves much better when Chamita is in full swing, when there apart Charlies part of the episode is always boring, alot like Clark and Lana in Smallville.
    See, I look at it in an entirely opposite way.  I think Charmita slogs it down considerably.  Charlie's contribution to the episodes aren't boring to me, those are the interesting parts. Because I don't watch the show for Charmita, I watch it to see Charlie and Don catch bad guys, and that involves equal parts math and federal investigation.   It does not involve Charmita making googley eyes at each other, so those scenes tend to put me off.

And I don't mean that I'm against character development. Some of my favorite scenes drive the characters forward, and not the investigation. It's solely the fact that it's Amita, because I really do not care for her. She annoys me, and when she doesn't, she bores me.

Dakotagirl823

[24]Feb 11, 2007
    • level: 23
    There are things about Amita that bore me, like how she has such low self esteem regarding her new position and duties. I think that she and Charlie balance each other out. I'm not sure that I like her as a romantic interest for Charlie but they have a great friendship. I like how they are always ready to help each other out. Charlie seems more at ease when he is around her. Sometimes I get the impression that most people don't hate a character per se, as much as the actor/actress playing the part. Is this the case with Amita?
    Edited on 02/11/2007 7:33pm

ferdiaob

[25]Feb 12, 2007
    Tessenchan wrote:
    ferdiaob wrote:
    See, I look at it in an entirely opposite way. I think Charmita slogs it down considerably. Charlie's contribution to the episodes aren't boring to me, those are the interesting parts. Because I don't watch the show for Charmita, I watch it to see Charlie and Don catch bad guys, and that involves equal parts math and federal investigation. It does not involve Charmita making googley eyes at each other, so those scenes tend to put me off.

And I don't mean that I'm against character development. Some of my favorite scenes drive the characters forward, and not the investigation. It's solely the fact that it's Amita, because I really do not care for her. She annoys me, and when she doesn't, she bores me.

But you see thats where I'm going, when Charmita isnt in opperation all Charlie does is moan about her and the like. When its not an issue, aka when there together, he gets a little Math done

Tessenchan

[26]Feb 13, 2007

Dakotagirl823 wrote:
    Sometimes I get the impression that most people don't hate a character per se, as much as the actor/actress playing the part. Is this the case with Amita?
    I know that's the case for some people, but in mine, it isn't. I think Navi Rawat does decent enough. There are times when her acting appears a bit off (for instance, for someone who was supposed to be so hot for Charlie, she sure seems disinterested in him a whole lot of the while) but for the most part I think she's doing what she can with what she has to work with.

I admit that my opinion of Amita has mostly been shaped by how she was presented to us, and not necessarily how she acts or the decisions she makes. There have been a few instances of her behavior and choices that bothered me (as in Assassin, 2.05, and Convergence, 2.07) but for the most part, I feel like the writers are trying to coerce me to like her/sympathize with her instead of letting the character speak for herself.

From day one, it's made clear that she's supposed to be Charlie's love interest. But I never saw any chemistry between the two of them, so any scenes insinuating a relationship going to that level always just bugged me. She has on various occasions waltzed in when Charlie is stumped and pointed out something obvious (Undercurrents, 2.23 and End of Watch, 3.15, just to name a couple) and she is literally handed amazing offers: the Harvard position which she turns down, Millie has her on tenure track already and she's accepted the chair position on the curriculum committee. The problem is that I feel like I'm be told she's amazing and deserves all these things, rather than shown that she does.

I feel that one of the bigger mistakes was giving her the generic nerd background in Harvest, 2.14 rather than make her unique. (They had this whole sob story about how she didn't want to be different from other kids, and how she just wanted to fit in, and I thought the opportunity had been a perfect one to flesh her out into someone separate from Charlie.) I just remain continually irritated by her.

And that's an issue with the writing, not an issue with the actress.

However, that is all just my opinion.

ferdiaob wrote:
    But you see thats where I'm going, when Charmita isnt in opperation all Charlie does is moan about her and the like. When its not an issue, aka when there together, he gets a little Math done
    I disagree. When it's not "in operation," he tends to work fine. It's only when she teases him with the possibility of developing their relationship further that he turns into Mope Guy. (Or at least, it was that way in S2. S3 so far has been an exercise in alternating between nails down a chalkboard and watching grass grow: they drive me crazy or they bore me.)

ferdiaob

[27]Feb 14, 2007
    I disagree. When it's not "in operation," he tends to work fine. It's only when she teases him with the possibility of developing their relationship further that he turns into Mope Guy. (Or at least, it was that way in S2. S3 so far has been an exercise in alternating between nails down a chalkboard and watching grass grow: they drive me crazy or they bore me.)

[/QUOTE]

To each his own in this case dude, I just cant agree with that.

Tessenchan

[28]Feb 14, 2007
    ferdiaob wrote:
    It's okie. I don't go around expecting to convert everyone.

ferdiaob

[29]Feb 16, 2007
    Tessenchan wrote:
    ferdiaob wrote:
    It's okie. I don't go around expecting to convert everyone.

lol

cj007

[30]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 5
    I completely agree that we are being 'told' that Amita is amazing and that Amita and Charlie have a relationship rather than having the characters portray it with their acting. The one thing that most people have to remember is that geek love isn't like a normal relationship. The approaches and way those personalities interact are atypical. The best parts of Numb3rs for me are all the nuances of academic personalities. For instance, Charlie's desire to explain everything, academic competition, obsession over minutia, completely understanding a subject from the ground up, the manner in which 'ahha' moments come to Charlie, his excitement when he figures something out, etc. This is where Larry comes into play; a genius who can't remember whether he was going into or out of the library! Unfortunately, I agree that Amita does not display the same quirks in her behavior, as she is somewhat of a bland character. She could be such an inspiration to other females who don't usually consider a technical field of study. Still, she is hope that geek love is out there for those geeks who don't consider it possible.

KidNexa

[31]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 9
    I agree with most of what Tessenchan said about the whole thing, except for one bit: I do believe the actress has a lot to do with how the character is shown to us, I don't think it's just the writing... I don't think she's horrible (the actress), I just think she's not right for the part... She is the one who has to bring the character to life, to interpret what she's reading and I don't think she understands 'Amita' at all... There's a lot more she could do even if she's not given much... It's just a mess, that character just lacks so much in so many ways I don't even think it's fixable...

ferdiaob

[32]Feb 17, 2007
    Can I just point out one thing? Read the very first post... How does this pertain to it...?

supercybergeek

[33]Mar 7, 2007
    • level: 2
    Amita = sweater meat!

Chamita

[34]Mar 7, 2007
    supercybergeek wrote:
    Amita = sweater meat!

?

Tessenchan

[35]Mar 20, 2007
    Chamita wrote:
    supercybergeek wrote:
    Amita = sweater meat!
    ?
    I'm with Chamita-- what in the maplesyrup does 'sweater meat' mean? O0?

doverz

[36]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 9
    ferdiaob wrote:
    Can I just point out one thing? Read the very first post... How does this pertain to it...?

I think that that topic isn't going to be mentioned again.....

amita_eppes

[37]Mar 29, 2007
    • level: 7
    supercybergeek wrote:
    Amita = sweater meat!

Do you mean she's hot or something?

M-W-S-A-T-D-K-T

[38]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 12

I believe that Charlie and Amita are really good together romantically and also with just a friendship.

Some of you said that her voice annoyed you but I think that it is unique. Plus, it's not the actress' fault, that is just her voice.

I would be devastated if Amita left the show. I think she is great. (and i watch the show for the Charlie/Amita moments)

PS. does anyone know where any charlie/amita avatars are?

Chamita

[39]Jun 2, 2007
    photobucket has quite a few if i remember right and if you google charlie Amita you should get alot of web sites that have Charlie Amita avitars on them

M-W-S-A-T-D-K-T

[40]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 12
    thnks