Numb3rs Forums

CBS (ended 2010)

Official discussion thread: "The Running Man" (Spoilers)

phf3947

[1]Feb 3, 2006
    • level: 71
    Please discuss "The Running Man" in this thread.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

scc1fan

[2]Feb 3, 2006
    • level: 51
    Wow! The beginning before the theme song looks scary!

be back later!

ravenrox2

[3]Feb 3, 2006
    • level: 7
    I havent seen the last 15 minets yet so I will really review later, but for some reason this episode didnt really seem to have my intrests...im mad at larry for being so in denial, and im mad at their mom/wife for not telling them she was like a music progidy or whatever....

Durbelethwen

[4]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 8
    I really like this show but I have just one nit-pick complaint about last night's episode. When they team was in the suspect's room and they mentioned how his posters were of different muscial styles, I do not think that is unusually. I am an under graduate in college right now and I like to listen to oldies and classical music. I also listen to other styles some times but it greatly depends on the singer.

fbiluch

[5]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 6
    I thought it was a decent episode. I thought the little twist with the student having multiple identities was interesting.

movethatbus

[6]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 15
    i thought it was rly cool...i have to watch it again cuz there were oth. ppl around which made it hard to follow/remember

i thought it was good and the end was cool with the ppl breaking in...i thought it was cool how they were gonna steal larry's stuff too (cool in a way that it made a good plot)

the kid trying to be so ordinary was cool too

i thought it was neat how he was supposed to be the next charlie

charlie questioning himself and saying how hed never be "ahead" of where he was supposed to be was a little much but still kinda cute

the music thing was ok but it made for a bad ending...i like it when the end is funny better...this was just thought-provoking/trying-to-be-touching

Sharpfan

[7]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 10
    I liked the episode. Larry being in denial and Charlie being a little jealous was very human. And like Charlie said at the end, that Margaret didn't tell Alan about it was because it was something private for her - her place to go when she needed me time. I have cross-stitching when I want me time. It's private when I'm doing it, and public when I'm finished, but I don't like to show my work before it's finished.
    Of course, there are going to be college kids who like the exact same kind of belongings/posters/music as what was displayed in Ron's room. But that's what made them "typical", right?
    If I had one complaint about the episode, it was with Don playing his mother's work. Not that I didn't find it touching, or anything like that. It's just both Don and Charlie didn't like the piano, and gave it up years before. I'm sure that someone who hadn't played in years would have been rusty, and wouldn't have played that well right out of the gate.

celticwytch

[8]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 3
    What I had the most trouble accepting was that a 30 year old could convincingly pass for an 18 year old.
    I was a little upset that when Allen found out that his wife had not totally given up music he always related it to himself. She gave it up for him, she hid it from him, etc. One, she gave it up profesionally because she decided that it was what she prefered to do but she didn't give up her own enjoyment, hence the newer compositions. And she may not have hidden it from him so much as hugged it to herself. He should have been glad that she continued to have music in her life. Perhaps she wasn't more open about it because of some attitude she thought she detected, rightly or wrongly, coming from him. Would he have been happier if she had given it up completely, why?
    I think I understand what Charlie was saying about never being ahead of his time again. I've often thought that young athletes might feel somewhat like that. How awful it must be, at times, to achieve excellence at too young an age and feel that you've reached your peak young and to know that you may not be able to reach that height of achievement again.
    I liked Don playing his mother's music at the end, it was like he was connecting with her. We don't know how long he studied panio or how old he was when he gave it up. That might make a difference in how well he would still be able to play. Plus, it was a slow piece and, while pretty, did not seem too difficult to play.

SweetPeaSurry

[9]Feb 5, 2006
    • level: 24
    Actually CelticWytch ... I think that was what Charlie was talking about to his father in the garage, that she didn't give it up for him or hide it from him, moreso that was her "downtime special place". I agree however, that he did take it a lot more personally than I think most people would have.

I didn't find it difficult to believe that a 30 year old could pass for 18 at all ... i'm 32 ... and if I don't have any makeup on ... people think i'm about 15 ... so it's certainly feasible. Although, I don't think he could have pulled it off much longer.

All in all ... this wasn't the most suspenseful episode, but it was well written and of course the cast was as usual fantastic. I'd like to learn more about Larry's white food fetish though, how that came about, whether he's changed it or not (I know he had a party in which he served colored foods, but I don't know if he every ate any).

I just adore charlie ...

celticwytch

[10]Feb 6, 2006
    • level: 3
    I agree that Charlie was trying to tell his father the same sort of thing, I was just saying that I was a little disappointed in Allen. After all, you love your spouse, consider their feelings and wishes, but you also have a private, inner life of your own too. Possibly I was disappointed because I really like Allen and therefore expect a lot, maybe too much, from him.

At 55 I'm rarely mistaken for being a whole lot younger than I am. Occasionally I'm even given a senior discount that I'm not old enough for. Perhaps that's why I have trouble realizing that some people do look a lot younger than they really are. Of course, I do take those senior discounts when given to me without asking my age, I'm old, not vane or stupid, lol!

KseniaNZ

[11]Jun 5, 2006
    • level: 7

movethatbus wrote:
    the music thing was ok but it made for a bad ending...i like it when the end is funny better...this was just thought-provoking/trying-to-be-touching

celticwytch wrote:
    I liked Don playing his mother's music at the end, it was like he was
    connecting with her. We don't know how long he studied panio or how old
    he was when he gave it up. That might make a difference in how well he
    would still be able to play.

Okay, I'm pulling an old episode thread out of the bottom only because I've just seen it. And I thought I'd add my view on the end of the episode, and somewhat surprised to see it was already a hot item.

I *loved* the end of this episode. It was so beautiful and poignant. While I do enjoy the typical light hearted endings, this one stood out even more being serious. What I found beautiful about it was the way they filmed it too - the wide angle showing Don sitting there, feet curled under the bench. I loved the close up, where a subtle glance showed him trying to remember his lessons.

My absolute favorite part is the way the lighting was on Judd Hirsch's face, and the way Alan closes his eyes as he remembers. The song, and the way the other instruments added in, was lovely. This is absolutely my favorite episode ending as it actually brought tears to my eyes, it was so well done.