Numb3rs Forums

CBS (ended 2010)

Some Ground Rules (Updated 12.10.08)

scc1fan

[1]May 26, 2006
    • level: 51

Hi everyone!  My name is Kas, and I am your editor.  I hope that by now, you all have found me to be fair, helpful, and fun.

I wanted to go ahead and lay out a couple of forum and contribution rules.  As always, remember that I'm available for questions, suggestions or comments, either here on the forum or by PM (personal message). 

**First and foremost--everyone is expected to respect everyone else on this board.  If there is a problem or a disagreement, please bring it to my attention, and I will deal with it swiftly.  No fighting or flaming, please!!!!! 

**After a lot of thought, and after discussing this choice with many of you, I have decided that fanfiction is now allowed on this forum. However, there are some specific rules to go along with that. Fanfiction guidelines are posted in the forum and you MUST read before posting any stories. If you have any questions to this fact, please PM me before posting. Please know that I will be keeping tabs on all stories, and will not hesitate to shut down those that violate the rules.

Everyone is expected to follow TV.com guidelines about profanity and inappropriate forum posts.  Please don't make me come after you for it--I will, but I don't want to have to.

Games are allowed on this forum, but only four at a time, and only those that I feel are appropriate.  There are game forums now, so please feel free to use them for any other games you would like to make.

Which brings me to my next point--Off-Topic posts.  Trust me, I know how easy it is to get off on a tangent without even realizing it.  I do it too.  But let us all try to have respect for the other posters, and stay on the topic at hand.  There are Off-Topic forums on this site, and simply chatting about anything and everything isn't allowed here.  That being said, I will not be an ogre.  I will not punish people for forgetting once in a while, but I will come and try to point the discussion back where it belongs.  If the discussion continues to veer off-course...I will lock the thread.

Contributing

First off, let me say this...I NEED your help in making the guide a better place, so please contribute!  But...follow these few hints and rules, and you'll find that your submissions will not only be processed faster, but they will have a better chance of being accepted.

1.  Please check to make sure the submission you are about to make is not already in the guide.  It doesn't take but a couple of seconds to do so.

2.  Please make sure that there are not spelling or grammar mistakes in your submission.  Those mistakes can warrant a rejection, and it's easy to click the spell check button before you submit to make sure that doesn't happen.  I'm not saying I won't fix one mistake here or there, but I may not have time, so just don't take a chance, okay?

3.  Absolutely NO profanity is allowed in  trivia or notes.  TV.com staff has recently removed the profanity-blocks from quotes, so I will now accept accurate quotes with profanity.  I don't think we'll have much trouble with that, but just to let you know.

4.  Quotes should look like this:
    Don: I am not hard to buy gifts for!
    Charlie: (shaking head) I highly dispute that, Donald.

Notice a couple of things here - the character name is bolded, using < strong > tags (without the spaces). The colon goes directly after the name, even if there is action, but OUTSIDE the bolding. Any action is to be in parentheses and italics. You format with italics by using < em > tags (again - without the spaces).

Just a couple more things to mention about quotes. They are the most-submitted submission to this guide, and I would say about 50% are rejected right off. That may sound harsh, but there are a couple reasons for this: **misspelled character names-automatic rejection, **incorrect, incomplete or non-existent formatting-automatic rejection, **quotes that are not correct (wrong lines, etc.)-automatic rejection. Then, there are some that, as I have mentioned before, have grammar issues. If there is one spelling mistake that I notice, I'll probably fix it. But if I have to rewrite your entire quote (or any submission, for that matter) to make it acceptable, it will be rejected.

5.  Episode Notes are something that did NOT happen on-screen.  It, for the most part, is some sort of production note.  Background music is considered notes.  Please submit them in this category.

6.  Trivia is ANYTHING that happened during the episode.  This includes: Opening numbers, goofs, etc.

7.  I try to check my queue every day, but I can't always do that.  Please be patient.  I'm going as fast as I can.

8.  If you are submitting a new episode, you MUST put a source in your comments box, or it will be rejected.  (NOTE--spoilerfix.com is not an acceptable source.  They are often unreliable)

9.  Lastly, make sure that any submissions (except quotes, of course) are in your own words.  Submissions that are wholly or partially taken from another site will be rejected.

I hope you all know that these rules are for the betterment of this site and especially this guide.  If we will all follow these few simple ground rules, I know we can all enjoy each other's company, as we discuss the greatest show on earth!

Your Editor and Friend,

Kas

Edited on 12/10/2008 9:40pm
    Edited 13 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

scc1fan

[4]Feb 26, 2007
    Just to let you guys know...these guidelines are a work in progress. I will be adding stuff and generally tweaking these every once in a while. I will always post a new message though, so you know when I've changed something.

Like this time...thanks to a fellow editor for advising me that I was acting on faulty information when I said no games were allowed here. It was a mistake--TV.com rules state that up to 4 are still allowed, so ya'll are in the clear!

Sorry about the misunderstanding,
    Kas

scc1fan

[5]Jul 26, 2007
    Hey everyone--just updated the guidelines to show the new rules on fanfiction. Take a minute and check them out.

Always,
    Kas

scc1fan

[6]Dec 10, 2008
    Okay all~

Take a moment to check out the newly added formatting help under the "quotes" section. I have been having a lot of trouble with badly formatted quote submissions, partially due to the switch from html, and partially due to submitters who still haven't learned how to properly format a quote.

So...I gave examples, included what kind of tags to use, and gave a few more do/don't guidelines that will make submissions easier on everyone.

Thanks!
    Kas