Numb3rs

Friendly Fire

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 02, 2009 on CBS

• In the mayhem of a bank robbery firefight, several FBI agents are brought down, and it is up to the team to determine who the shooter(s) was/were.

The episode ranges from high violence to moments of quiet soul searching. In the mayhem of a high-intensity firefight several FBI agents are brought down. I would imagine that in such situations it is more likely than admitted by agencies that so-called 'friendly fire' situations occur (referencing the episode title).
    I found the number and emphasis on the bodies (as in repeated screen-time displaying) to be rather more than I would prefer (just my opinion).

There are also several light moments, which stand in sharp contrast to the violence and its results.

The highlights for me are the more pronounced character development and interior searching going on in the cast, exemplified by Don and Larry in this episode. While the series has always included good character interaction and thoughtful questioning, it feels that the last half or so of Season 5 and certainly the beginning of Season 6 are digging deeper into that realm -- which I applaud. I could really feel the personal angst and questioning that Larry and Don especially are going through as their lives seem to be changing.

This exploration of character and meaning, by the actors and the writing/producing team, is what drives me to watch the show.
ION