Numb3rs

Hot Shot

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 19, 2006 on CBS

• So much potential, too little time.

I found the serial killer plot compelling and full of potential, considering the psychopath’s relationship with his mother, his home movie studio in the guest house, and his method of using, abusing, killing, and posing his victims. But with few precious minutes available between the unrelated dream sequences, ultimately the crimes and the investigation felt rushed. Also, when Don was fighting the suspect alone and was injected with what was presumably the same lethal cocktail that was used on the female victims, he collapsed unconscious just after shooting the suspect. Then… nothing. There was no rescue, no sense of the gravity of Don’s injury, and not even a reaction from his team when Don radioed “agent down�, although in other episodes the team has show that they care deeply for each other. Instead the scene just faded into a distracting dream sequence between Charlie and his mom, and next we see Don sitting in the dining room filling out paperwork on the shooting. I really, really wanted to see more from this episode. It had so much more potential than what was aired and I found myself actually hoping it was a cliffhanger into Season 3 since I felt they left the various plots and dream sequences unresolved.
  • Below par episode.

A convincing opening scene provides the hope for a sensational season climax. Unfortunately the only cliff hanger is provide by what should be a sub-plot cliffhanger at best - Charlie and Amita's on-off relationship.

And this is where the show imo goes off the rails and doesnt provide the bang it show have done. That is because there is a fair element of character development chronicling past events with Mrs. Eppes through a series of dreams had by Charlie and Alan. Now while Id ordinarily appauld the inclusion of these, they would have been better experienced throughout the season and not bundled into the same episode, especially not the finale. As it is, this event dumping takes alot away from what in any other episode would could have been a spectacular plot and storyline. Serial killers always provide a great action packed and dramatic show, but the crime, investigation and eventual resolution are never given the air time they should have. In actual fact the writers missed a trick by not overlapping the latter middle and final acts of the story onto the 1st episode of the next season.

To be honest I found the chopping and changing of plot threads confusing and lessened the tension of what was happening. It rose to such a level that I found myself trying to grasp if there was any connection between what was happening in the Eppes homelife and worklife. Perhaps Alan was going to become a target or someone he was dating, or the crime was somehow going to be linked to Mrs. Eppes. Sadly nothing like this materialised and I ended up feeling shortchanged. A decent episode, but I ponder what could have been.....
  • Review

The big problem for me with this episode is that it didn't feel very "finale". It was just a standard episode of numbers and the "outside the case" scenes were worse then they usually are. I didnt like the dream scenes with Charlies mother, I didnt think they brought anything unique to the episode. It seemed like the writers needed a filler because they are unsure what to do with Amitas character, so they wrote in a part about Charlies mom so they could get to the end of the episode as quickly as possible which would give them enough time to decide what to do with Charlie and Amita. Because Numbers is simply a crime drama, I wasnt watching with the intensity I normally watch finales with. Average episode overall, hopefully the writing can get a little bit better next season.
  • This was an okay episode.

7.2
    Nothing really happen in this episode. Charlie and Alan was having weird dreams about his mother and wife, and it was solve when Charlie had to asked his mother one question. They also didn’t answer the question about Amita and Charlie.

The case that Don was working on nothing much happen till when Don get hurt at the very end of the show and at least it was a cliff-hanger. Don could at least wait for back up to come, but then I guess someone was endanger, so he had to go in.

Overall I think this season have good, because I like the relationship of the family, I thought they are very much closer then the first season.
  • They could have done more...

From the beginning of the show, it showed a lot of promise to accomplish some real character development. But it did not. The storyline between Charlie and Amita (or love vs work) could have been fleshed out, especially if only Charlie asked for his mother's help. The story arc with the dad and mother did not go anywhere. It was a shame Don did not see his mother, even in dream form. Finally, the murder investigation was uninteresting. Ultimately, the season finale could have been more with no real character development and a bland crime-solving subplot.
  • Pretty Boring

2.8

I wasnt too happy to watch this episode it didnt have a lot of mystery or suspense sort of boring some times the whole mom thing that doesnt matter also there wasnt a lot of violence in this episode when his dad got shot in his dream was probably the best part of the finale.
  • I loved it! One of my new favorites in the series.

A great season finale. This really showed us into the character of Charlie. He had a dream about his mother’s death and plunges himself into a desperate attempt to decode it for what it's worth. It was nice to see the Epps' family bond a little more. Along with the twists and turns of the episode, I found that I wanted to re-watch it again and again.

The only flaw I saw in the episode was cliffhanger; or should I say, the fact that there wasn't one. I would have liked to see Don lying down there after shooting the killer and left us of there wondering what would happen next.
  • Don tries to take down a serial killer while Charlie and his dad have visions and chat with his dead mother.

Interesting episode in the beginning Charlie and his dad go to a store and the store is robbed. Charlie's dad is shot dead as a result but as we figure it was a dream. I didn't quite see the relevance in that if they weren't going to go with it. Later we see that Charlie is having chat's with his dead mom as is Charlie's dad himself. It wasn't creepy though which is where I think the writers messed up a bit.
    They made this episode way too mellow and simple with Charlie's mom here. I would have liked to see a bit more
    conflict with Charlie. He is upset with the way he treated his mom but we don't see him overboard which is what I would have expected. Everything's too mellow. Charlie's dad was more relaxed which was understandable.

Don tracks down a serial killer who kills women and hides some of them while taping the torture in progress. One sick puppy. Eventually the guy gets caught although he gets in a brief skirmish with Don before he is shot dead.

A great episode don't get me wrong but I would have liked to see a bit more conflict with all of the characters involved still it wsa a decent episode.
  • I like this show, but. . .

As much as I like this show, I found this to be a somewhat disappointing season finale. It was kind of strange with the dreams that Charlie was having, it was sorta confusing. . . I also think that this show needs a little bit more character development. I enjoy the fact that you do not have to see the episode before to understand things, but a little more plot between the main characters. Also, whats up with Amita and Charlie?? What kind of person ends the season with Amita still not sure if she\'s going to Harvard?? I guess a lot producers and writers want to leave cliffhangers at the end of the season. Oh Well.
  • This episode wasnt the best one for a season finale nothing really happend interesting there im not too satisfied with the last episode of the season they couldve do something else.

• This episode begins with an inner struggle that Charlie is having, revealed to him in a dream. Meanwhile, Don is hunting down a daddy’s boy serial killing, praying on innocent women.

While I believe that this was a good episode, I do not believe that it served it’s purpose as a Season Finale. Perhaps it was just the way it was being previewed in the days prior to showing. I believe that the writers did a good job on developing character, even while leaving out a key issue. There was very little mentioned about Amita and Harvard. I just think that it would have served better in the season, not as its finale.
  • I like the fact that there is no cliffhanger and nothing will mess up my summer on this one....

Starts out with a twist that makes one think that a store robbery is taking place and then the Charlie\'s mother appears...then during the show she is a spirit who keeps appearing and talking to her family. I like this part.

This is one of my favorite shows. It was a little different from some of their previous ones that it was much easier to understand. There were ladies being killed and the answer was right in front of them. I always like the way they solve crimes on this show.

We still don\'t know if Charlie\'s friend is going to Harvard. She spoke of it during the last episode. We will find that out next season.
  • Well written as well as well written

I think the show has gone into the personal lives
    Outside the FBI as well as the classroom and is
    Doing much better in the character development department with Charlie having dreams about his parents
    Especially his late mother who was dying and how rude he was to treat her during her final moments
    She was in his dreams talking to him as he was wondering why he had those strange dreams about her.
  • Good episode with some nice character insights and more background provided along with good plot twists.

Great episode that started out with you thinking something really bad had happened. Episodes are not supposed to start out as tear-jerkers - that's how they are supposed to end.

Nice to see the Don, Charlie and their dad connect at another level. It was also good to see Don & Charlie's mom and provide more insight into the personal lives of these characters.

I liked the twists and turns of the episode. It might have been nice to have Don or someone have something happen that becomes a cliff hanger to bring fans and other viewers back for the next season.