Numb3rs

Judgment Call

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 23, 2005 on CBS

• Changes afoot...

With this episode, the second season of "Numb3rs" begins with some losses to the cast and some additions. Gone, and missed, is Sabrina Lloyd as Terry Lake. Stepping into her place are Megan Reeves and Colby Granger (played by Diane Farr and Dylan Bruno, respectively). While both have grown on me, I initially was very unhappy with the changes. Farr at times acts and sounds like a teenage girl, while Bruno seems to have been brought in for the "beefcake" action appeal. Shows have a tendency to tweak casts to add "hotter" actors and actresses, which makes me suspect this is why Farr was brought in. Her necklines start to plunge, but she manages to still convey some professionalism as an FBI agent.

Fortunately, the rest of the formula that kept the show strong in Season 1 still appears to be present. Larry is around to offer cosmic digressions, Charlie and Don's interplay is still fresh and the case provides an interesting investigation and outcome. "Numb3rs" starts a new chapter, and for the most part, it starts out on the right foot.
ION