Numb3rs

Man Hunt

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 13, 2005 on CBS

• Review

I thought it was a really good episode to close out the season, one of the better episodes of the season in fact. I think the only thing the show failed to do in its first season was establish a lot of relationships among the characters outside of the drama cases they went through on a week to week basis. The ending scene is something that Im talking about. I really liked the interaction betweeen the 3 Epps family memebers, all sitting around playing Chess and discussing random things.

Another one of the favorite parts of the episodes was the "Math for dummies" lecture Charlie gave. most of the time the math on the show goes way over everyones head, that time it didnt
  • Charlie\'s odds example using the goats and automobile.

5.5
    I think his theory was incorrect. When u make 1 out of 3 choice, he is correct that there is a 2 out of 3 chance of being incorrect. But once u establish that one of the bad choices was not selected, your chance of being right is now 50 - 50, 2 to 3 in your favor. Changing your pick to the one that u didn\'t pick at 1st does not in anyway improve your chance of being right. even though u r getting a 2nd choice, your chances are still 50 -50.

It\'s just like flipping a coin, if u flip heads 50 times in a row, the odds of flipping heads on the next flip is 50 - 50...
  • An inmate of a prison escapes and goes after someone who put him in jail years earlier.

This was the first ever episode i saw of numb3rs and it was so good that after that i almost never missed an episode of numb3rs. This is one oof the better shows i think and is really well done. The gunfight at the end was espicially scary and exciting for me!
  • Charlie and Don are tasked with capturing a pair of escaped convicts. More police work than math takes center stage. A refreshing change from the typical formula.

After two convicts escape from a prison transfer bus, the FBI is tasked with finding them. Charlie examines the crash mathematicaly to find that it was not an accident. This is a refreshing change from the more typical episodes. This time, the resolution of the plot doesn't rely exclusively on Charlie's ability to mathematically predict the whens, wheres, and hows of the crime to resolve it. He provides assistance, but the criminals are ultimately caught on good old fashioned police work. Rather than a formulaic plot line of "crime happens, Charlie uses math to narrow the search to the exact location of the criminal, and Don charges in to capture him", there is more character development and suspense, which bodes well for the next season.
  • Again a solid episode. Unfortunately the plot is a bit weak; same for the involved math...

5.5
    This episode involves good acting and solid characters. But that's it, as far as I am concerned, with the positive aspects of this episode.

The first thing, that really annoyed me, was the presence of Charlie at the first crimescene; what is he doing there? He's a consultant for the NSA and for the FBI, but why is he checking out the crimescene of a seemingly regular car-accident from the start. If there had been any mentioned circumstances in the plot, that had suggested the need of a mathematician, I would understand, but there were none... He's of professor for math after all and thus not supposed to be at all crime-scenes, his brother Don is at. I don't recall Charlie switching to policework fulltime.

So Charlie clings onto this accident like he already knows, there's something wrong with the accident beeing one and surely detects an 'anomoly' (the final scene includes this misspelling by Charlie, a scene which I really liked). From there the story goes on in a fairly logic plot. 'Fairly' because of the weak spots, that annoyed me: like the witness' whereabout beeing noted somewhere in the police-computer-system, which is very unlikely. Second it is never fully revealed, how the two vehicles, that caused the accident were coordinated, so that an actual accident resulted from their behavior. They had to be just in the right place at the right time which still wouldn't have been enough, as the key to the accident was the reaction of the busdriver. If he had reacted slightly different, the accident perhaps would have never happened. How could the people, that organised the accident, have incorporated his behavior? Not if You ask me and that's the way most of the key-points of this story work. To much coincidence for me...

After all I enjoyed watching this episode, but more because of the characters but because of that implausible story. If a good script is Your main concern for the quality of an episode, this one is not for You.
TNT