Numb3rs

Mind Games

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 10, 2006 on CBS

• A medium shows up at the FBI offices and causes tension between the Eppes brothers.

Jerkiness was contagious this episode. Larry was complaining that Charlie wasn't open-minded when he himself was so staunchly "open-minded" on this issue that he himself was closed off to Charlie's beliefs and concerns. I also feel that the FBI should have done more research into Kraft's background before deciding to believe him. Whether you believe in the paranormal or not, it should be the last thing you come to after exhausting all other possibilities, not the third.

That said, it was nice to have an episode where not everything ended nicely in a bow for the family. I also liked that, while still showing some respect for mysticism, the episode did not have the mystic defeat the science. I watch Numb3rs for the numbers. If I want ghosts I'll watch Medium, thank you very much.

Some people complained that Charlie didn't act professionally by leaving the investigation in the middle. That may be so, but I also think that Charlie felt that he was slapped in the face by Don and the team so readily accepting the "expertise" of Kraft. Some may see it as childish, but Charlie saw it as keeping his professional credibility. If I was being forced to work with someone I saw as damaging to my credibility, I would be angry as well. This is passing no judgment on the actual existance of psychic powers, just why Charlie did what he did.