Numb3rs

Noisy Edge

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 06, 2005 on CBS

• Review

7.8
    The scene between Charlie and Anita was the best this episode had to offer, yet that scene was still a little less then it could have been. They were both flirting with the same idea of him no longer being her teacher and I think that the show should have finished it with a kiss / something. Perhaps they were saving it for the season finale, maybe not.

I thought the case was pretty random. A possible UFO / terrorist attack that turned out to be pretty much nothing important. The son killing his father in the long run was another random twist, with us only finding out with 2 minutes left in the episode.
  • A UFO was spotted by several different people, and its trajectory puts it on course to go right into downtown L.A., specifically to the Staples Center. Det. Alan Eppes and the crew fear this may be a terrorist attack, but the object mysteriously vanishes

This episode was pretty good, and even had a couple series plot-forming events. Charlie's relationship with Dad is strengthened as Charlie is taught to play golf. Also, Charlie's now former student Amita is staying around. As for the main plot line of the episode, I felt this was quite interesting, especially the "squish-squash" mathematics, and the layered radar screens that created a once undetectable aircraft into a decent picture of the aircraft itself. However, two things could have put this episode over the top. First, a scene on how this vertical take-off craft works (theoretically) by mathematics would have been neat; they could also have created video of the take-off and trip of the craft in a flash-back. Even if it was all done by computers, that would still be pretty awesome to see.

• Unbelievable storyline, that was so idiotic, that I almost stopped watching.

An unidentified, unknown aircraft has been spotted hovering over L.A.

I followed the story until one point, where it got so stupid, that I only kept on watching because of the characters. The story - for me - was no longer worth it. The point, where I almost quit, was when Charlie layered the signals of various radarsystems and thus created a 3-dimensional image (!) of the object, which then was used to scout out the aircraft.

The story culminates, when the pilot of the unknown aircraft is found dead on a junkyard whilst still sitting in his crashed plane. Prior to this finding Charlie is looking for the place, where that plane is located and comes up with some 'mumbojumbo' (one of my favorite terms by Dr.Kelso of 'Scrubs') of "things so obvious, You don't recognise them" - which then is to look for that plane on a junkyard!?!? Why would the investigators have left out the junkyard in the first place?

I could go on and on about such stupid twists of this story but I won't.

Watching this episode I got the impression the producers desperately tried to fit in much more complexity (of the story), than they could handle in roughly an hour. All of which does not go unnoticed and makes the plot loose its plausibility.

Watch it for the characters and the good play but not for the story...
  • For TV elitists, this may com across as "eh", but the average fan of Numb3rs old and new, this was a great episode for several reasons...

Alright, so building on the fact that I began watching this show because of a class project, I'm fairly surprised how enjoyable this show has been for me.

I've watched every episode thus far, and I particularly liked this one. Not my top three favorites but it's up there.

What I liked About this episode:

* There was more of a developing (potential) romance between Amita and Charlie.

Okay, for those who find Amita boring OR unnecessary in the plotlines, I have to just utterly disagree. One of the underlining themes for Charlie in this show is to illustrate the other side of his genuis; human behavior, the one aspect that is rarely if ever "eloquent". Through his relationship with Amita you see not only the respect he has for her, but admiration for her own talent. You see a romantic side of Charlie. I mean it's completely stereotypical for the "math geek" tbe portrayed as the underdog or "loser in love". But that's not the case with Amita. There's a good sense of chemistry between them.

* Larry! I love it whenever Larry gets a chance to be in an episode. I love how he is also Charlie's mentor, showing him how to think outside of the box.

But I've got to wonder, I mean I'm not too familiar with various math or physics circles, but is there some kind of rivalry? Either way, they're both fascinating.

What I Didn't Like:

The plotline was thin, and it wasn't as riveting as previous episodes. There wasn't anything too surprising, or riveting. Strange consider it was a precurser to the season finale.
  • Charlie and Don investigate an unidentified aircraft. Who cares. Then this romance between Charlie and Anita. Makes Charlie too ordinary. Also, didn't like the way they made fun of Larry. He's great as Charlie's mentor.

2.6
    The story line was boring. Who cares about this plane. I like it much better when they're solving real crimes. It's too soon in the series for Charlie to get matched up. And she's so boring. If he's with a mathmatician where is tension? Rob Morrow was great as always, but he didn't convince me that he was upset about this plane. Don needs a female partner who is a character. Street wise and cynical but funny. Not serious. Someone to play off of.