Numb3rs

Pilot

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 23, 2005 on CBS

• Very good start to a very good series.

The pilot episode of NUMB3RS is still the highest rated one on iTunes, as well it should be. It introduces Special Agent Don Eppes, and his mathematical genius brother, Charlie, and how they over come their differences as adults, and catch a serial rapist. This show also introduces the other member of the Eppes family, the boys father, Alan. You can definitely tell where Don and Charlie get their drive and their passion for what they do from. This was a very good start to the best TV show on TV, one that should be on for many many seasons to come.
  • good start

It's hard to judge this pilot because I saw the fourth season before I decided to go back and watch the first. Anyways, the pilot always has to introduce the premise of the show and the characters. I didn't like how they introduced Don, but I liked how they introduced Charlie. The father didn't have much of a role and was pretty pointless in this episode. Larry was fine. The case was interesting, but nothing special. Just a serial rapist. What makes this show different is that Charlie uses math to catch the killer. It was interesting seeing his thought process and how he was angry when he thought it was wrong. Overall, solid start to the show.
  • Brilliant!

I totally love this show. My favourite character is Charlie, for so many reasons. But the idea for this show is absolutely brilliant... using Math to solve FBI mysteries. Being a math person myself, I can understand the significance of what Charlie does for the FBI. Math is something that the world relies on, not onl uses. So this show, incorporation that knowlegde into it, has created a beautiful base on which to start a show. The characters are well done. Loved all relationships. I also must compliment the Numb3rs writing staff on Charlie's entrance. Perfect! I honestly done have the words to commend this show like I would like to, but I guess I can leave it at... this show is awesome!
  • Review

I thought it was a good start for the series and I thought that the math connection was kind of cool to. Being able to trace back to the point of origin from where the crimes were committed was a really cool connection. I thought that the character devolopment could have been a little better, letting us get to know some of the characters a little bit better then we got to. All in all I thought it was a good pilot and I think the show will continue to blossum from its very good start. Very good. Need Words
  • Like all pilot episodes it had strong spots and weak spots.

The weak points first... It was far too dramatic sometimes. Not with the episode plot but with the characters. Some of the actors, Sabrina Lloyd especially, should have been toned down in their performances. There were several scenes with the FBI gang at work which felt far too dramatic with the characters. "Nobody could do this better than you" speeches were just all over the place. We get it. Don is a good agent but his superiors don't always see it. They're trying to portray the lead characters as really great, but they should have been a bit more subtile. They should also have toned down the music in some scenes, it was over the top in a few scenes. Another weak point was the constantly occurring shots of Charlie looking at the sprinkler and then they added some cool effects. Cool the first time, old news by the third time.

As for the strong points... It's an interesting spin on the crime solving genre. It feels fresh and interesting. It's also nice to see an attempt to make math cool... The cast members who weren't overacting were really good, I especially liked David Krumholtz' performance. Judd Hirsch and Navi Rawat had their characters toned down, a huge relief when other actors were over the top, and Peter MacNicol was charmingly quirky without being annoying or out of place. And the episode seemed almost entirely free of Jerry Bruckheimer stuff, which was a breath of fresh air. I don't mind the CSI shows having Jerry Bruckheimer written all over them since they were kind of the pioneers, but far too many shows have copied them and it's getting tiresome. This episode was not yet another "copycat". Aside from the cool effects whenever Charlie saw a water sprinkler, the episode was more similar to early 90s crime shows than the 21st century ones. I found that refreshing.

All pilot episodes have lots of weak spots. It takes a while to define the characters, for the actors to settle in the roles, and for a show to find it's own style. This pilot episode had enough strong spots to keep me interested. I'll definitely be watching more episodes.
  • Very promising start.

The start to this series is really promising. The relationships between the characters are interesting and make you want to see more of them. The math is important in the series and in this episode. I like the way Charlie explains how his calculations can help the police with examples that are easy to understand. It makes the math more distinct. The grudging respect Don develops for Charlie's contribution over time and the way the two seem to get closer during their work on this case is very well written. These two characters with all their strengths and weaknesses are very likeable. The series is certainly off to a good start. I hope it'll last more than two or three seasons. It has a lot of potential.
  • When several women are found raped and killed, Don askes his genius brother Charlie to help find the killer.

I reluctantly purchased Numb3rs on DVD. I say reluctantly because I thought that it was pricey. After watching the pilot episode, I have to say it was money well spent. This show immediately caught my interest. The characters seem real, and I actually empathized with them. This wonderful TV program is well crafted, by no fault of its talented screenwriters.

Rob Morrow, who played Dr. Joel Fleishman on the critically acclaimed TV show Northern Exposure, is FBI agent Don Epps. David Krumholtz is Charlie Epps, the mathematical-genius. Judd Hersh, from Taxi and Dear John, plays their father, Alan Epps.

The pilot episode is a great introduction to the series. It keeps you interested and makes you want more.
  • Great beginning to a soon to be hit show

I think this is a great beginning to a hit show
    IMO as Rob Morrow(late of Northern Exposure)returns to tv
    As FBI agent Don Epps, who needs the help of his younger
    Math whiz brother Charlie. To help in what will be
    The beginning of many times he will recruit Charlie in his cases as it ain't just shoot em and kill em
    But without guns, you can use math and your brains as well in order to solve cases!