Numb3rs

CBS (ended 2010)

layle1

Numb3rs Fan Reviews page 8 of 9

• The first season was wonderful, and the first 2 episodes in Season 2 turned it from a high profile crime solving to just another detective show, but the 3rd episode...

The storylines in season 2 episodes lacked the complexity or the subtlety needed to introduce the use of math in crime solving.

One obvious example is locating the teacher's car in episode 2. FBI, even certain local police departments nowadays can locate that quite easily, and there's no need of a math guru to figure that out or explain the logic and the technology behind it. It's as if the screenwriter ran out of ideas or knowledge of math to build up a more convincing storyline.

There're a lot of simple math that can be applied to deduce human behaviours, and good writing can make them look impressive in the philosophy of math. It doesn't have to be complicated to impress the audiences.

Overall, I really like the most original idea of NUMB3RS, and glad to see improvement in the 3rd episode. Keep up the good work.
  • This is a great show although what happened to Sabrina Lloyd/Terry Lake?

0.0
    What happened to this show? Last season was great because she was great. I don\\\'t know how much I like this show anymore without her/her character. The replacement does not do this type of role- JUSTICE. Sabrina Lloyd is/was a much better actress than the new sidekick/partner for FBI/Northern Exposure man?
  • Not your typical cop show. Waaaay better than the typical cop show. Needs to be on more.

This is an AWSOME show. This show insted of saying pow pow who killed him, this show uses math to find out who killed him. I really wish this show was on more. I don't even like math but yet I love this show. I just got into but I am obsessed. My Friday's are not schelduled around new Numb3r episodes. I need to go buy the first season on DVD, and get caught up. I don't know why more people are on this forum. I hope this shpw becomes even more popular, and then hopefully the people will come to their senses and show it even more, than once a week. I can't wait till Friday. If anyone reads this review, and is free Friday night at 10:00,channel 2 watch it. You will become hooked!!!
  • One neat gimmick isn't enough to carry a whole show. They need to develop the characters more thoroughly, and soon, or I fear I might lose interest.

Numb3rs started off promising enough. Yet another cop show with yet another new gimmick. However, it doesn't carry the show. Each episode is just "new case, do some math, catch the bad guy", and it just doesn't hold up as well as it did at the start. I still find it enjoyable to watch, but they need to develop some more depth to the characters, or its one-note thing won't live for very long. It's decent, but that's about it.
  • What have they done with this great show?

3.5
    I really liked the three main actors, but they hardly interacted in this latest episode. Why have they made these guys so ordinary? The only character that shows originality is Larry. I love his character. Charlie was really quirky in the first season, but now he seems so bland. I knew this would happen if they had him date Mina. There is no chemistry between these two. And she just doesn't seem as smart as they keep telling us in every episode.

Also, this story was boring and unbelievable. A sister who is a school teacher robs a jewelry store to save her brother? Terrible acting.

And is Judd Hirsh retired? He had three lines and he is the best actor on show. And Don? Certainly no Joel Fleishmann.

Also, from another show. Combinatorics is NOT a branch of Computer Science. Even I know that, and I'm not a mathematician. The writer should hire a consultant.
  • Wow!! This show is awesome!! This show shows how the things we learn in school can actually be applied in real life.

This show has everything!! Hot stars and intense drama. Luckily for us people who didn't ace calculus they "dumb" it down for us. Its nice to see a show that applies what we learn in school to possible situations. I give this show two thumbs up!! I wouldn't miss this show for the world!
  • Well here we go with another season. They added Diane Farr which enhances any cast. Too bad it had to be because Sabrina Llyod left. It looks like it might be a good season after all.

The season started off with a bang(sorry for the pun) It looks like they did not miss a stride even though they had a couple of cast changes. They even managed to explain Sabrina's abscence and get Don a new love interest in the first episode. The only potential problem i am seeing here is that the writers are going to try to hook up the physics prof and the new female FBI agent. The story telling abilities of the writers still seem to be there, but it looks like they are playing around with the way they portray the whole mathematics equations to us lamens. It will take a couple of episodes to fully grasp the new dynamics and see where it goes but at least it is a little diffrent from all the other cop shows around.
  • Silly Show

Based on the kickoff episode it *doesn\'t add up.* When I heard the premise of the dhow, I had high hopes. The idea is fine, but the particulars are just silly. One of many examples is the genius explaining how no one knows why pi shows up in diverse places. In fact, start with basic premises, you derive the equations, and there is pi. The number 2 also shows up a lot, but think how silly it would sound if he said \"No one understands the number 2 and why it is always popping up\". It might help to hire some mathematicians as advisors fort the show.
  • MATH ROCKS!!! atleast on this show it does...

Now as an asian chick with 2 sisters... I am the least math oriented person EVER. And yet when I watch this show it all makes sense. Without dummying it down or making it too complex they manage to bring veryyyyy challenging material in a language that people can understand. Maybe its because we are in a society that has too much violenece and using math in that context works.. .I dunno. BUt the family chemistry between the Epps and what i can see with my own family... I love this show!! Thankfully they didnt cancel it. IT's good drama and good comedy. TGIF again!
  • I really like how the show combines solving crimes with numbers.

I think all the characters work so well together and it really shows that. All of the actors have great chemistry and that really comes across on screen which is a really good thing.

Good Points: The show has a good balance of solving crimes with numbers which you definitly wouldn't expect. From what I gathered from the show, this actually happens i the FBI where they have someone come in and help solve crimes using numbers. I could be wrong but that's just a guess.

Bad Points: What bad points? I honestly don't think the show has any bad points. It is an awesome show.
  • Numb3rs is one of the best shows on TV. The casting, writing, acting, and directing are all top-notch. The character development has been engaging. The combination of mathematics and crime solving makes it a show for people who want to think.

I heard a radio interview with Rob Morrow a few weeks before Numb3rs debuted. Because I had enjoyed a few episodes of Northern Exposure when it was originally on the air, and had recently watched a few on late night TV, I paid attention. I had not watched a network TV series in a very long time, and probably would not have started watching this one if this hadn't happened. However, it's hard to know for sure, because its first episode pre-empted 60 Minutes, a show I watch regularly. I have not missed an episode of Numb3rs since it started, and have enjoyed the crime solving and the character development. I think there will be a lot to learn about all of the main characters over the next season and am looking forward to it.
  • General overview of the show

This show may have been a mid season replacement but it caught my attention right away. FBI using math to help solve cases was and interesting idea for a show. The writing is superb and the family aspect of the show is what keeps me watching. ROb Morrow, David Krumholtz, and Judd Hirsh make the Eppes family completely beleiveable. Can't wait for season 2
  • Often referred to as "The Little TV Show That Could," Numb3rs has yet to gain mainstream popularity but became something of a cult hit during its first season.

FBI agent Don Eppes (Rob Morrow, formerly of Northern Exposure) recruits his younger brother, Charlie (David Krumholtz), a mathematical genius and college professor, to help solve some of Don's toughest cases. Although others at the bureau are skeptical of Charlie's involvement, he finds support in a colleague at the unversity where he teaches. Numb3rs is the first broadcast-network series produced by brothers Ridley and Tony Scott, following their cable network collaboration, The Hunger.

The names of Scott brothers attached to the title certainly didn't hurt, and the cast is quirky enough to raise a few interested eyebrows (besides Rob Morrow and Sabrina Lloyd, you've also got Judd Hirsch in the mix). While the series is a bit heavy on the tech-speak and often flirts with alienating pretentiousness, the character dynamics and action scenes are raw and exciting, as to be expected with Tony and Ridley on board as executive producers. Hopefully, the show will continue to grow in its second season enough to warrant maybe getting the hell out of its Friday night timeslot. The names of The Brothers Scott attached to the title certainly didn't hurt, and the cast is quirky enough to raise a few interested eyebrows (besides Rob Morrow and Sabrina Lloyd, you've also got Judd Hirsch in the mix). While the series is a bit heavy on the tech-speak and often flirts with alienating pretentiousness, the character dynamics and action scenes are raw and exciting, as to be expected with Tony and Ridley on board as executive producers. Hopefully, the show will continue to grow in its second season enough to warrant maybe getting the hell out of its Friday night timeslot.
  • The show is a balance of the rocky relationship between Don and Charlie and of the efforts they make to fight crime, normally in Los Angeles. On some fronts, it is similar in execution to CSI.

Rob Morrow stars as FBI agent Don Eppes, who recruits his mathematical genius brother, Charlie (David Krumholtz), to help the Bureau solve a wide range of challenging crimes in Los Angeles. From two very different perspectives, the brothers take on the most confounding criminal cases, aided by Don's partner, Terry Lake (Sabrina Lloyd), and new FBI recruit David Sinclair (Alimi Ballard). Although their father, Alan (Judd Hirsch), is pleased to see his sons working together, he fears their competitive nature will lead to trouble. Charlie's colleague, physicist Dr. Larry Fleinhardt (Peter MacNicol), urges Charlie to focus more on his university studies than on FBI business. Inspired by actual events, NUMB3RS depicts how the confluence of police work and mathematics provides unexpected revelations and answers to the most perplexing criminal questions.
  • The kind of show where you see the ads at the beginning of the season, think "wtf??!!", then get totally sucked into the story by the end of the pilot.

At first glance, this show seemed like a total waste of time. After all, who's going to be interested in watching a crime drama based on mathematics? And not just your average 1+2=3 kind of math, either - the kind of math that the majority of people avoided at all costs in school and would not now be interested in watching for entertainment.

For those people out there who let that original impression keep them from tuning in, I pity you.

What this show is actually about is a surprisingly typical dysfunctional family, nevermind that one brother is a mathematics genius and the other is an FBI agent. As each crime and solution unfolds, so do new tidbits about the brothers and their odd relationship to each other and to their father.

End note: Some people complain that mathematicians (through Charlie) are portrayed as idiot savants in the show, unable to deal with anything but math on their own. I think, though, that it is the other way around for Charlie. He is emotionally frail, lacking in common sense, and seems barely able to shut his own brain down when it goes on overdrive. The fact that he is a genius at math is merely secondary to this, more a symptom than the problem.
  • A unique perspective in crime drama.

I cannot agree that this show suffers from a lack of character development. The best thing about the show is the personal interactions between the three men in the family. All three actors have many years of experience, and their talents are considerable. As the series progresses, the pain, conflict, and love experienced by the characters unfolds, as the history of the family tragedy -- and the characters reactions to it -- are revealed.

I am especially drawn to the character of Charlie. The figure of the "tortured genius" evokes in many women an emotional response, and that has made me a faithful fan of the show. The contrast between the brothers -- the hard-boiled, practical cop and the somewhat mystical, mathematical genius who seems to be just now coming face to face with the real world -- adds a unique twist to this crime drama with a difference.
  • This show is about two brothers. One is a cop and another helps the police out by using math to solve crimes.

This show has action,crime,and math. Who wouldn\'t like that? This show is awsome. Its filled with action and suspense.You get to learn how people solve crimes.You get to learn math a fun way. I give this show two thumbs up and four stars.If you have never seen it, you have to.
  • #'s has a clever intertwine of mathematical concepts and a reasonable plot to match such intricacy. Real Deal, if you are willing to believe.

The show #'s hopes to define other uses of mathematics, such as to solve crime. Every episode there is mathematical concept that is used to solve some kind of scandal. The show is believable in the sense that it flows smoothly and the actors seem confident when they explain the reasoning behind what they believe is the key to the crime. On the other hand, one can say that math cannot possibly solve these crimes so effectively, but the show does well in incorporating common sense when the math can get ridiculous. There is always Murphy's Law to rely on when they run out of ideas.
  • You just can't beat the combination all the characters bring to the show. A must see for all.

Numb3ers is honestly one of the best shows I have ever seen. The conflict and drama this highly talented cast brings to the show leaves no doubt in my mind that this series will be around for many years to come.

The Eppes appear to be an American family. A widowed father with two completely different sons- Alan Eppes holds his small family together with tough love and gentle understanding. The patriarch of the trio must deal with his eldest, Don,constantly being in the line of fire as a high-ranking F.B.I. agent. Couple that with fatherly worry over his youngest, Charlie, a genius, who has trouble understanding simple things- like how to ask a girl out! :)

The sons team up to solve crimes using Charlie's mind for math and Don's street-smarts. Every week, the two face a new problem and tackle it with the evident Eppes tenacity. Don't miss this thrilling show!

I love this show! It's a perfect show for me and I think David Krumholtz is the perfect Charlie and the rest of the cast is also perfect for the parts they play.I just wish Sabrina Lloyd had stayed. I miss her! The show is fantastic and I can't wait to see more of it this fall! Definitely an obsession of mine and it is fully intended that it stay that way!
  • Interesting, but it does not contain nearly as much math or deductive reasoning that I anticipated. They need to embrace this aspect more, for they really havent developed the characters or a solid story enough to let it stand on its own.

7.6
    This show is interesting, but it does not contain nearly as much math or deductive reasoning that I anticipated. They need to embrace this aspect more, for they really havent developed the characters or a solid story enough to let it stand on its own. I was hoping that it would contain much more physics and explanations of physcis in it. As the total maount of math and physics is really not all that much, this show begins to feel like just a regular crime show. It is an original idea, but they need to make sure they commit to it fully or the idea will flop and the show will have to rely on its character/story foundation that it has neglected to build, ultimately resulting in its tumble.

My final review: Intriguing, yet not enough of what it advertised. Something to watch though if nothing else is on.
  • this show is so amazing, real math, great characters and plots. Keeps me interested and I love watching every friday night. cant wait for season 2!

Numb3rs is a great crime show that involves real math and great characters. Each new plot is interesting and keeps my interest throughout the episode. There's also a bit of humor in the episodes which really help. Friday nights are my favorite because of Numb3rs and I look forward to season 2 and more fun episodes!
  • Balancing The Equation

7.8
    Many shows are credited as being "smart" because it's a fun word to use that has the luxury of being vague. Is it smart metaphorically? Is it smart verbally? Is it smart structurally?

Numb3rs, despite its irritating title (I get that the show says that numbers are everything, but that does not mean they're allowed to use l33+ or however the hell that affront to the English language is "spelled"), is a smart show in that it makes you feel dumb.

Technically, the show is basically a medical mystery drama we've seen plenty of times before except instead of obscure science terminology solving the case, it's obscure math terminology. But whereas the medical jargon feels tired and I get exhausted just thinking about it, Numb3rs feels exciting and it makes you say "boy, math is cool!" which is a big deal as most programs not paid for by Viewers Like You aren't big on promoting learning. Oddly enough, the show reminds me of the show Square One which used to air on PBS, specifically a serial drama within the show called "Mathnet".

But while the show might be the best thing for getting kids interested in math since Topless Tutors, it should be beaten with a stick for wasting such a tremendous cast.

David Krumholtz is the mathematician who not only carries the burden of playing a mathematical genius (and he's a natural at it), but he's carrying almost the rest of the cast as well and with a cast like this, it doesn't add up (the math puns are gonna keep comin' folks).

Rob Morrow is technically the show's lead male and he's a personality vacuum. He seems to exist as nothing more than an action tool and a reason for female viewers to tune in. Where is the sly investigator he played in Quiz Show?

And what about Sabrina Lloyd and Judd Hirsch? These two are TV veterans (although Hirsch much more so than Lloyd) and they've both played a wide range of characters. So why Lloyd nothing more than "lead female/love interest" and Hirsch is just wise and lovable Dad?

Alimi Ballard plays black guy. I don't say that to be insulting. I say that because I think it's insulting to have this guy be an almost non-existent character but in the main credits.

Peter MacNicol is fun as always, but his character is a bit too much of a plot device and seems to exist mainly to help out Krumholtz, either intentionally or unintentionally.

This show is missing out on so much dramatic conflict and forcing the prodcedural aspect to bear the weight of the drama, and that makes for a highly unbalanced show.

Hopefully the second season will be able to balance the equation (told you the math puns would continue) and rise to its potential because I would much rather have more shows like Numb3rs on the air than yet another dramedy about lawyers or doctors.
  • If only I could catch it on.

I always miss Numb3rs but when I saw the only episode of it that I've seen so far I was in love with it. And yes...I am 15 years old and I do watch alot of NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. etc. But Numb3rs is a show that I really enjoy. Especially since I love math I knew this was a show that I'd really enjoy. I'm glad they use numbers to solve their crimes and that...is what makes this show original.
  • Reality bites, everything we do is about Numbers, needless to say Numbers writers are not perfect but close enough. Thumps up!

There is always a criminal roaming around, and for that criminal there are 2 or more FBI agents ready to get busy, while the minute man are chasing migrant workers . Perhaps chasing a difficult virus can be done by "Numbers", but I can tell you everything we do in life has a number related solution. if you want the show to get even better, just tell the producer to sponsor my Criminal Date Profiling technique (no joke), and you the people will get so scare of reality, that you will hate this immigrant mind.
    Better than if the government decide to listen to new ideas Jessica Lundford would be alive.
    The secret is in Data Analysis! Numbers!
  • Two brothers: one a well accomplished FBI agent & the other a Mathmatical genius. What more needs to be said. Charlie helps his brother solve crimes in the FBI by showing him a mathmatical solution.

This show is some what hard to make sound appealing on paper. Unlike most crime shows, this one leans more to the solution side of mathmatics to aid his brother Don (FBI). This show easily became renewed for season 2, based upon great ratings. Some of the cases depicted on the show are based on true events used to fight crime. Its interesting because it shows how to eliminate the obvious by using logic and math to aid in solving the crime. David Krumholtz, Peter MacNicol, and Judd Hirsch are some of the more well known faces who have played in a wide vairety shows from movie to television. Good acting, drama, action, stuff getting blown up, occasional hot women, and crime who could resist? Watch it to find out why its doing so well.
  • New show added to My Favorites list: Numbers

Great new show with interesting characters and a neat twist what with the math thing and all. I didn\'t think I would like this show since I really can\'t stand math (much to my Brother\'s chagrin he is a real Rocket Scientist and a mathematics wizard!) but, it has piqued my interest now that I realize how important numbers(no pun intended!) really are. It\'s lot softer than any of the CSI\'s but still long on action and drama. I suggest you watch a couple of episodes and decide for yourself, I missed a few episodes in the beginning and would really like them to put the show on DVD release so I can watch from beginning to end. Two thumbs up!!
  • its about these two brothers one is not smart hes a policeman the other is a nerd he helps them by using math or science.

It's a great show its really good if u want to be a policemen or if you like math or science.But if you dont like either its still a great show to watch.It would be nice if it had more ads on tv just in case i forget when it was coming on.
  • When an interesting concept is combined with a terrific cast and great writing, good things happen.

Watching the previews for this show, I recognized many actors whose work I'd enjoyed in the past: Rob Morrow, Judd Hirsch and Peter MacNicol.

I watched the first episode with great trepidation. Would the show itself live up to my expectations? Would the actors I enjoyed in their other works have roles worthy of their talents? Would I even like the show?

I was surprised to answer "yes" to every question. When an interesting concept is combined with a terrific cast and great writing, good things happen.

Unlike some other crime based shows, "Numb3rs" uses mathematics as a tool. Many shows will use something like triangulation to locate a person, place or thing. "Numb3rs" takes that concept much further and relies on statistics and the abilities of mathematics professor Charlie Eppes (David Krumholtz) to help his brother, FBI agent Don Eppes (Morrow), solve puzzling cases.

While it may sound like a dry concept, the heart of the show is the relationship of the brothers and their father Alan Eppes (Hirsch). Some of the best scenes are father and sons puzzling out a case - or life - together. They are all still dealing with the death of Alan's wife, the mother of his sons. Their grief is an undercurrent in their relationship and in many of the plots as well. It adds to the depth and development of the characters.

The supporting cast is equally good and definitely helps bring the show and its characters to life. Peter MacNicol is nearly perfect as Dr. Larry Fleinhardt, a physics professor and close friend of Charlie's. More often than not, Larry will be called upon to help Charlie work out the correct equation. Amita Ramanujan (Navi Rawat) is Charlie's graduate student and unrequited love interest - although that may change with the next season. Amita increasingly helps Charlie think the equations through to solve the case.

David Sinclair (Alimi Ballard) and Terry Lake (Sabrina Lloyd) are Don's FBI partners. Both shine in the roles. Ms. Lloyd has chosen not to return for the second season and she will be missed.
  • How long can this last?

6.1
    \"Numb3rs\" is an interesting idea for something new and different in the police procudural area, but the execution is not very good. The math concepts are barely explained and there is no elaboration, so the mathematics are essentially a frosting to a standard police drama. Don Eppes as played by Rob Morrow is a one-dimensional essentially standard-issue FBI agent [minus the boring ties] who acts like his face would crack if he smiled. David Krumholtz\'s portrayl of Charlie Eppes is wonderful: a fully realized mathematician operating at genius level who is not a flake, weirdo, lacking in personal hygiene [though he could shave more often] or removed from the world at large. I\'d be happy if the show was just an hour with Charlie Eppes. Judd Hirsch and Peter MacNicol are just wasted here; they have very little to do.

I like the dark quality to the show and the acting is good overall, but this show is one-trick pony and it bored me after 5 episodes. The staying power of \"Numb3rs\" is questionable, at best.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9