Numb3rs

CBS (ended 2010)

layle1

Numb3rs Fan Reviews (250)

• This is a great show although what happened to Sabrina Lloyd/Terry Lake?

0.0
    What happened to this show? Last season was great because she was great. I don\\\'t know how much I like this show anymore without her/her character. The replacement does not do this type of role- JUSTICE. Sabrina Lloyd is/was a much better actress than the new sidekick/partner for FBI/Northern Exposure man?
  • gonna miss it

i'm good at math,its not hard as ppls think,you just put a very ancient table how to plus,minus,etc in youre brain.instead writting in paper,youre writting in youre brain.the problem is math is using so many "recipe",i followed that until i saw a great flaw in Eco math.
  • Murder + Equations = Crap

There's been a murder, break out the maths text books! What is going on with the world today? How can this even have got past the first season let alone struggle on to it's third. It's just so boring with no way in the world for the viewer to guess what has actually happened. It's similar to watching a program following a group of addicts through three tough months when at the end of the show the narator says 'And three months after filming they are all still using copius amounts of drugs'. What was the point of watching the damn thing for 45 mintues!

In summary, this program is uninteresting and pointless (but well made)
  • What a disaster

what the hell are they trying to show ?
    I can not bear it . It's complete crap . . . .
    I don't know how people are able to watch this even now . i just watched 10 episodes in hope that it would ever get better but it got worse .
    I can't understand how the hell the writers can think of such a disaster and then continue it for so long when other good shows get cancelled every now and then . I think the channel doesn't have anything else to air so they have to continue this crap . otherwise there isn't any reason to keep a show this bad on air for 2 seasons.
    no story ... no logic .... nothing
    it's a complete waste.
    one of the worst shows ever !!!!!!

If you haven't seen this you're lucky and if you're still seeing this ......... i don't know how do you tolerate it . it requires a lot of patience to watch shows as bad as this .
  • A show ABOUT numbers: not a show WITH numbers. There is no Math here!!!!!!!!!!!

1.3
    This is a show that, yes, does make some reference to numbers or math in general. However, it makes absolutely no use of numbers whatsoever. Name one show where an actual equation was given and some math took place.
    This show should be called Meta-Numb3rs. It's a show that is about numbers, but does not use numbers. Actually, most of the time it is a show about logic and does not even reference numbers. Even then, to call it 'logic' as though you needed some sort of logistical expertise to figure it out, is a huge exaggeration. Therefore, the show should be called meta-Common Sense since the show makes reference to common sense, but no one bothers to use any. You could take the majority of Charlie’s exasperated and totally asinine explanations and sum them up with one or two sentences from someone who was above comatose. This show is essentially 5 minutes of a CSI episode stretched over the course of 45 minutes.
    Hey, I love Rob Morrow and that is why I watched over 20 episodes of this craptastic exercise to prove how stupid the public really is, but I’ll be damned if I watch another minute. How stupid do you really have to be to have Charlie explain, in elaborate detail (for no less than 2 minutes) why Kids would be running in the opposite direction of a shooter.
    Scott and Scott: You make me sick!!!
  • DUMB & boring

One of the worst shows ever. So religiously racial. 3 Jews solving crimes by math. Even it was 3 blacks whites or muslims it would have been equally stupid. Are you kidding a mathemitision to solve crimes. OMG Did the producers ever talk to a cop. DUMB
  • Wow. A show about $250,000 sneakers. I don't know what is going on with this show. I am sad to see a plot line as this.

A story that is so hard to believe, wow. The cast must have been biting these tongues for not laughing out loud. "he wore them that ruins the value!" Both characters speak at the same time. When the purp making a huge jump "gotta be the shoes" All the cheezy lines in this one episode was too much for me to handle. Counterfeit shoes. my head is spinning at all the nonsense. I do hope to see this show hopefully back on track or indeed this will be the final season. For once a good show has evolved into a bunch of one lines with a splash of math.
  • How to look geek with a title and find who's the murderer between two sudoku grids...

The police of wherever-city seems to be in trouble as they need mathematicians to solve their cases.
    I didn't manage to follow many numbers' episodes. In fact, I often watch the ten first minutes then I fall brutally asleep. This show is as fun and as interesting as a math class.
    I just hope that the idea was not to prove that math are usefull in real life.
  • Corruption of a series

What is going on with the writers and producers of "Numb3rs"?

It would be too much to expect that any Television series could remain immune to the politics and anti-intellectualism of the Television Industry. "Numb3rs" has clearly succumbed.
    Throughout Season Two we have seen the incorporation of leftist politics in the plots of "Numb3rs" episodes;
    "Numb3rs" has become yet another social-issue-of-the-week series.
    For me, episode "Protest" (#29) in which the real bad guy is a retired FBI agent crossed the line.
    The writers and producers surely couldn't get away a script in which an honorably retired FBI agent
    ends the episode in handcuffs, but there is no doubt that he and (his generation of) the FBI are the bad guys.
    Now in "Mind Games" (#30) they have ejected the mathematics.

In many episodes the grafting of a mathematics theme onto the plots has appeared forced and artificial.
    The mathematics component in "Mind Games" (the Fokker-Planck equation) is one of the most cursory we have yet seen.
    The separation of the show's mathematics consultant from the show's writers is painful to see.
    The show's writers are clearly more enamored with the psychic character and the plot developments that come from the psychic theme than they are interested in mathematics.

Insincerity and opportunism have found a home in the writing of "Numb3rs" scripts.

Postscript:
    To say more explicitly what bothers me most about this series: It lures in an audience with pretentions to presenting something about mathematics; then, on the one hand, gives an extremely superficial snapshot of a mathematical techinque in a way that has very little instructional value, while, on the other hand, embedding the crime plot in a far better developed social issue drama where the only right thinking interpretation of the social issue is one of the liberal / leftist / Democratic Party variety.
    That is a disgusting practice. It's called propaganda.
    And it saddens me that mathematics is being used and abused this way.
  • Silly Show

Based on the kickoff episode it *doesn\'t add up.* When I heard the premise of the dhow, I had high hopes. The idea is fine, but the particulars are just silly. One of many examples is the genius explaining how no one knows why pi shows up in diverse places. In fact, start with basic premises, you derive the equations, and there is pi. The number 2 also shows up a lot, but think how silly it would sound if he said \"No one understands the number 2 and why it is always popping up\". It might help to hire some mathematicians as advisors fort the show.
  • Obviously nerdy but not smart yet.

3.5
    First, I'd like to state that I judge poorly this show for its first three seasons. Therefore I wouldn't know if it has improved or not since then.

The idea of a show combining crime and mathematics was great... Finally investigations that wouldn't rely on major breakthrough coming from nowhere. Mathematics are rational, I thought the show would have "kept it real".

I was disappointed by the lack of rationality "behind the maths". I studied mathematics for a long time now to know that (almost) everything can be modelized by mathematics, we may wonder about the relevance of the results though.

In Numb3rs (check out l33t language...) or Numbers, two worlds collide : the "real" one and the "theoretical" one. Lucky for us we can count on Charlie Eppes to bridge the two. How can he do such a thing? Some would argue that he is a genius, I would bet on the fact that he uses magic. Problem is maths aren't any kind of SFX you can turn around and throw as you like, there are several good things (I mean appropriate and well designed) in the show. It's the process as a whole that lacked consistency and credit.

I don't mind making fun of science (The Big Bang Theory), but don't make it sound like it's serious...
  • What have they done with this great show?

3.5
    I really liked the three main actors, but they hardly interacted in this latest episode. Why have they made these guys so ordinary? The only character that shows originality is Larry. I love his character. Charlie was really quirky in the first season, but now he seems so bland. I knew this would happen if they had him date Mina. There is no chemistry between these two. And she just doesn't seem as smart as they keep telling us in every episode.

Also, this story was boring and unbelievable. A sister who is a school teacher robs a jewelry store to save her brother? Terrible acting.

And is Judd Hirsh retired? He had three lines and he is the best actor on show. And Don? Certainly no Joel Fleishmann.

Also, from another show. Combinatorics is NOT a branch of Computer Science. Even I know that, and I'm not a mathematician. The writer should hire a consultant.
  • Numb3rs is a FBI crime drama. A math genius is hired to help sove crimes by designing and creating mathematical algorithms for each crime to be solved.

As a math teacher in a public high school, I found the idea of solving and investigating crime using mathematical formulas and algorithms interesting. And so I watched all of season 1 and most of season 2 before I decided that I was not going to watch anymore episodes. The writing is very mediocre and the acting and character development is below average. I kept thinking that this show had to get better. What ended the show for me was an episode in season two that was a predictable Hollywood, "I hate Christianity" episode. In this episode we have a Christian who was a suspect in a murder investigation. The Christian was interrogated by the FBI agents. The Christian then tells one agent that he and his girlfriend do not believe in sex before marriage. Back at the FBI headquarters one agent tells another one that any man who does not believe in sex before marriage is a suspect. No man would ever say that. And so the plot or lack of it continues as these investigators travel to "Hollywood's version of a Christian's" home. They open up a closet in his house that is filled with sadomasochism paraphernalia. For a show that is supposed to be based on logic and mathematics, this entire scene was completely irrelevant to the plot since this "Hollywood's version of a Christian" turned out to be innocent, and had no association to the true killer.
  • not very gripping.

4.8
    This show simply gives us the quirky ally mcbeal character, and giving the actor nothng but another quirky ally mcbeal actor to play on while fitting it into some law and order/csi related show. Taking the concept of Aronfoski's Pi and putting it into an American CBS drama series just doesn't seem to work, it seems familiar, boring and something i'm not entirely interested in.
  • Nonsense

Quite enjoyable for a couple of episodes and then very quickly became very formulaic, very silly and very tiresome.
  • Cop Show+Math=Numb3rs, horrible equation!

Just when you thought there couldn't be any more cop shows on TV, CBS comes with this Numb3rs show. I really think they made this show just to show kids that you do use trig,calculus and college algebra in everyday life. A nerd using math equations to solve crimes......... a little crazy in my opinion. Besides the using of complicated and ridiculous equations to catch criminals this show is not all bad. Has a good storyline with good characters. But has anyone taken the time to realize that most dramas on TV are cop shows. Not that I don't like cop shows, but one can only handle so many of them, and I can do without this one.
  • You know how in kung fu movies the whole hour is worthless filler in between 15 minutes of action? Numb3rs is like that, but with Math as the one draw in an otherwise terribly written show.

I like this show, however I can't honestly say it's good. See, I was a math major in college, and while my laziness and bad professors made me eventually hate doing math, I like the concept of math, the logic, the fascination with solving problems, the objective scientific precision. I have always preferred, say, physics to biology because the former is quantifiable into known kinetic functions while the latter is just Art History Appreciation for Animals.

To wit, I love the bits in Numb3rs where they summarize known mathematics and show how it applies to a useful, practical cause, in this case catching criminals. And I have a parent in scientific academia, so I find the characterizations of the three main mathematicians spot-on in a way that speaks to me personally. But unless you or someone you know is a mathematcian, none of that will appeal to you.

The negative side of this show is that it makes all the standard mistakes of almost every other Procedural tv show and then some. Every other character, from the stoic, flat, uninteresting protagonist FBI agent to the empathic mandatory female lead, are boring and stereotypical. The show overuses Red Herrings and MacGuffins so often you can tell that the guy they're trying to make you think is guilty is innocent. It feels like none of the team of writers knows anything more about criminals or the FBI than what they've seen on other, average tv shows. Most of the non-math dialogue is cringe-wrothy, and it's annoying how insanely attractive women are constantly willing to launch themselves on the characters just because they've been onscreen together for longer than 2 minutes. Mathmaticians DON'T GET NONE! That's kind of why they spend all their time doing math.

So there's that. Numb3rs is more or less the product of their one mathematician consultant who provides the only interesting aspects of the show and almost assuredly the character of the show's only 3 interesting figures (the three mathematicians). What this thing really needs is some WRITERS.
  • Like the CSI series, which postulates that we always leave traces of our passage, this suggests that math describes our universe in many subtle ways.

5.7
    I joined the series on episode 5, where the writers seem to start losing their nerve. The relationship of the math to the crime problem is still there, but they're starting to 'force' it in. Like those lame crime shows where the problem is always to find the right meaning of the clue the victim deliberately left behind. The next episode appears to be even more forced, with a cryptanalyst dad being extorted to supply encryption algorithms to a nefarious hacker? Get back to math being used to explain routine problems.

I hope it succeeds, gets its feet back, because we could use some more cerebral prime time entertainment, and this shows a lot of promise.
  • It's another CSI follower

5.8
    I found the first episode interesting... using math as the basis of investigating is interesting.. something new for me but then.. after many episode ahead.. it seems they lost the creative story... the story is not challenging anymore... the case seems not so special... the connection between the case and the math is sometimes not make any sense... especially the second season... i don't know why i still watch it anymore... when i watch this show i always do something else... this show never make me focus on the screen... boring is the right choice of words for this show
  • I love the show noramally but this episode 1-05-07 was poorly written and poorly acted. find another dog to kick, real religious zealots have way more class than the person who played the religous leader.

5.9
    concerning the show of 1-05-07,I thought it was rather juvenile of the writers to use a poorly played religious leader which leaned towards what happened in waco and david koresh. obviously people remember waco but for the most part they dont really know what david koresh was like. the entire country has some inkling that the end of time is near, some religious, some not. as a christian person who has seminary training, this particular show offended me, the religious leader was terribly played while the rest of the cast was as average as each show has been so far. doesnt it hit anyone that a bad actor and a good actor only make for poor acting?.....geeeesh !....the subject was about as fanciful as the wizard of oz. I for one am offended by this particular episode and the writers have simply hit a low point in their efforts. I could write better than that and i\'m an illustrator!....c\'mon guys get real. i know \"not every show is gonna be a winner\" but this was just offensive. in america, there simply isnt that many cults that exibit what this episode portended. you want ideas?...gimme a call. by the way, I used to live about 2 miles from mt.carmel, I knew David Koresh, he wasnt a monster by any means, goofy maybe, crazy?....not by a long shot, the entire waco ordeal was greatly exagerated and if the truth were known?....the law comitted at least as much atrocity as the Davidians did. find another disaster to kick around and do your research a little better, maybe read the bible a bit, you might find that it was not uncommon for a pair of kids to be married at age 13, why's that?......because age 12 was the age a boy turned into a man. now look at your dollar bill, it sez "in god we trust". for the most part I disagree with two kids being married but at the same time, our social ideas in this country have become really twisted and yet, even mormons these days still marry very young and or have more than one wife, I should know, I was once married to a mormon gal who's father had more than one wife, it still goes on but it isnt really acknoweged and I assume it will never become an issue.
  • Numb3rs is starting to get old.

Numb3rs used to be one of the best shows on TV. My husband and I watched it every week. Our concern when it first started was that the "math angle" of the show would become repetitive and over-used by Season 3. Boy, were we right! Season 4 was kind of slow and uninspired. This last season was really bad! The writing is boring and the storylines aren't interesting at all. The addition of potential love interests for Don was a waste of time. His character is so moody and brooding why would any woman want to be involved with him? We did enjoy the addition of Kathy Najimy both as a potential love interest for Alan and boss for Charlie. Whatever happened to her? The writers should bring her back. I doubt that we'll be watching Numb3rs anymore. It's not that interesting.
  • Get back to the math and the family - what made the show unique in Season 1.

My brother and his friends got me into "Numb3rs" in its first season - they would watch it and discuss it in math class on Monday morning. With the strong ensemble cast, the interesting hook and good scripts, I was pleasantly surprised by the show. But as time went on, it became less and less like the show I had watched at the start. Action and sex appeal were being amped up, while the family dynamic, brother relationship was fading away.

For whatever reason, Sabrina Lloyd (wonderful on this, "Sliders," and "Sports Night") left before Season 1 had wrapped. But rather than leave the show as is and give Alimi Ballard more to do, producers added Diane Farr (possibly the most irritating actress on the planet) and Dylan Bruno (nothing against him personally, but he's like any other TV cop/agent/soldier). Don was giving out assignments more than working cases, the Eppes men spent less time at home, Charlie became more hip, less nerdy and romance began to creep in.

Season 1 also stood out for me because of the variety of mysteries tackled by the team. There was murder and rape (the standard for prime-time TV), but there was also a kidnapping with a math-based motive, counterfeiting, railroad sabotage, a structural flaw in a major building, the threat of a dirty bomb, a UFO and a jail break. It was the kind of stuff you didn't ordinarily see on a TV crime show.

Season 2 saw more of a shift to a "murder of the week," and despite some initial promise in Season 3, that pattern continued. Now, in Season 4, "Numb3rs" has become an action show first and foremost, with some occasional diversions into math-land.

I realize Farr and Bruno are here to stay, but it's criminal to move Judd Hirsch more into the background at the expense of ill-advised romance (read: Sex scenes!) between the characters. Peter MacNicol's Larry underwent a massive change since his "24" hiatus and has not been the same. The charm is gone from "Numb3rs," and it has sadly just become one of CBS' herd of cop dramas.
  • I learned math in middle school, but what is x+2=6? Well, this show tells you exactly what.

This show is the show that kids are expected to watch, but can\\\'t watch because it is too crimey. By crimey I mean gruesome and hazardous to a child\\\'s mind. It\\\'s a simple mix between math and crime. And the question is...why? But seriously, who wants to watch a show including math, which is a wierd subject with the world we are in today. Overall, it is a good crime show...but it fails because it incorporates math.
  • Boring

I don't know. I've watched the first 8 episodes of Numb3rs and thought is was no better than your standard off the wall detective series.

I mean you have your typical characters: The leader, his ex-girlfriend/partner, the african-american guy AND the genius but strange brother.

Oh, c'mon. They really could've done much better. I always solved the case after 25 minutes into the show and the characters where still trying to figure out what 'The brother' had to tell...
  • The first season brought a new and innovative concept to television.

6.1
    The first season started out with a new and innovative concept -- solving crimes by using mathematics -- which is the way it is actually done. The characters and the actors chosen to play them were wonderful. But Something Hollywood happened before/during the second season that turned this innovative show into just another CBS crime procedural that resembles CSI and all its other clones. When math became cool, Numb3rs stopped being interesting. Add to that every storyline in the second season had already \\\"been done\\\" on another series and viewers could figure out \\\"who dunnit\\\" halfway through the hour. The two new characters (Megan and Colby) took the show so far down on the likeability scale that most likely only the young and impressionable fans of David Krumholtz will remain as the core viewers.
  • How long can this last?

6.1
    \"Numb3rs\" is an interesting idea for something new and different in the police procudural area, but the execution is not very good. The math concepts are barely explained and there is no elaboration, so the mathematics are essentially a frosting to a standard police drama. Don Eppes as played by Rob Morrow is a one-dimensional essentially standard-issue FBI agent [minus the boring ties] who acts like his face would crack if he smiled. David Krumholtz\'s portrayl of Charlie Eppes is wonderful: a fully realized mathematician operating at genius level who is not a flake, weirdo, lacking in personal hygiene [though he could shave more often] or removed from the world at large. I\'d be happy if the show was just an hour with Charlie Eppes. Judd Hirsch and Peter MacNicol are just wasted here; they have very little to do.

I like the dark quality to the show and the acting is good overall, but this show is one-trick pony and it bored me after 5 episodes. The staying power of \"Numb3rs\" is questionable, at best.
  • Solving the NUMB3RS Problem

6.2
    While not having seen every episode of CBS’s mathematically oriented crime drama, I believed I have sampled enough of them to identify a statistically significant pattern. Using the Sarnoff-Paley Hypothesis of TV drama plots, measured against the Farnsworth Algorithm for Consistency Modeling, it appears that every episode of this series is basically the same, only with modified variables as to names, places, and the specialized terminology of academe. This leads us to an inevitable conclusion: NUMB3RS is written by computers using sophisticated algorithms that take different criminal behaviors and homogenize them into a predictable sequence of events. The FBI gets stumped and turns to the math wonks at the university who will provide solutions not once, but three times over the course of the hour, with intermittent updates on their personal relationships. When the wonks are stuck, Judd Hirsch or a surrogate will make an offhand observation which turns out to be a vital clue. There will be police action near the end to make the FBI feel better about itself. So there it is. By watching NUMB3RS I have developed the analytical skills to figure out why it does not rank as one of the top TV crime dramas today.
  • Nerd Number Anologies an uneeded crutch! These numeric schticks detract from the character likeability which is a no no in prime time television programming. This gimmick has overstayed it's welcome.

Numb3rs could be a show that rates 8 or above except for one glaring negative. Those nerd numeric theory segments are time wasting, over the top and just plain hoaky. I feel I as the viewer am being talked down to. These analogies are boring and waste valuable plot time. The actors/characters can do quite fine without those numeric nerd analogies. One is bad enough per episode but two or three is inexcusable. Therefore, I downrate Numb3rs to a 6.5 rating of FAIR. Decrese the number of nerd analogies and you got yourself a high ranking drama! These numeric schticks detract from the character likeability which is a no no in prime time television programming. With so much entertainment out there
  • As a crime drama ... it's average, but ...

As a crime drama it's average, nothing new, there's the math, but I don't get it anyway so ...

However, what I really love about this show is the simple spontaneous sense of humor, the interaction between the characters is so ... "real-life" you know ... not too smart or too made-up, humor comes very natural and I like that. Besides, I take one look at Peter MacNicol and he cracks me up, I love this guy, as far as I'm concerned he was the only reason for watching that Ally McBeal show.

I like the structure of the Eppes family as well, always together, very close to each other; you don't see a lot of that on TV these days.

The show is funny, "mildly interesting" and a very nice way to spend an hour of your time ... if Prison Break is not on, that is.
    (Sadly, where I live the two shows overlap ... PB has precedence so ... thank God for re-runs :))
  • I like dark shows but geez!

One of the things that made me watch NUMB3RS is that I didn't have to watch graphic murders and murder scenes. This is what happened here. I'd rather be strangled with an emotionally charged show than this something like this. I have enjoyed getting to know the brothers and even watching their dad but tonight I should have killed the dvr and cut my losses. This isn't typical NUMB3RS to stray into God land and it showed. I would have rated it very low but it did have it's moments with Megan, with Charlie and it was interesting to watch Charlie deal with with religion, something he didn't seem to be keen on. Okay, saving the remaining shows, I swear so I have something to watch in February!
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9