Numb3rs

CBS (ended 2010)

layle1

Numb3rs Fan Reviews (250)

• Numb3rs reaches ... time when civilization at large is beginning to overcome its ancient fear of mathematics. The show enables both mathematics students and the laypeople to appreciate how math is applied to solve real-world problems. By integrating int

Numb3rs daringly crosses a sacred, but obscure, boundary demarking concentrated mathematical knowledge and the delicate multitude. However, it does so while preserving much of what mathematics has evolved into today without suffering its audience with the austere, and sometimes rather grueling, quotidian nature of the disipline. The show does well to avoid highly improbable events and yet induces interest and intensity, giving applied mathematics a high-gloss sheen. There is no limit of potential topics which can be developed into appreciable, and even interactive, episodes.
  • When you find out the premise of this show, you might be a bit perturbed at the idea of maths and crime. You might be interested as well. I for one, have enjoyed the first season, but sometimes with waning enthusiasm.

7.8
    Numb3rs is a show that uses math to solve crimes. Now, in any TV series, there are going to be good and bad episodes. This is no real exception. I wouldn't put it past the writers of this series to be extremely creative and run some episodes that blow our minds away, while still making us believe the storyline. But so far, I haven't been entirely impressed with the maths-crime combination. Definitely enjoyable, but not THAT impressed.

I distinctly recall one episode in which the line tying maths to solving the crime was SOOO thin, that I had to take a step back and say 'as if'. There were probably a few others I might not recall, but in the 13 episodes (particularly at the start, when everything's new), I was impressed by the genuine ideas they used in solving crimes. They generally did things which laymen wouldn't have thought about, and surprised us with ingenuity. Thumbs up for that.

The acting is fairly solid, nothing spectacular, but nothing annoying either. I suppose if we believe the story being told to us, the actors have done a fine effort. One disappointing thing is Sabrina Lloyd (Terry Lake, girl cop) leaving the show half-way through the season. It kinda sucked when she gradually disappeared from the series. Another major gripe I have about the show is the lack of continuity throughout the series. Granted, it was only 13 episodes, but I would like to see more consequential events that lead through to the following episodes.

I will watch the 2nd series. I enjoy the show, and I think others will find some appeal in it. However, I think others will struggle to see any real application of math (which I sometimes also struggle with), and therefore write off the show. Then, others will find a lack of continuity throughout the series a bother and point to 'no substance in the show', which is valid.

I will say this: watch it first before deciding whether you like it or not. The premise of the show does little to reveal the actual show's mechanics. Watching it firsthand reveals a lot more.
  • Great Show brings maths and crime together.

This, as previously stated is a great show. If somewhat far fetched, though, arn't most shows. It makes maths, math for you Americans, interesting, even for those who don't like, or understand maths. Of course its a bonus that Charlies student friend, the girl from the O.C. who has Ryans child, is in it, and she is hot.
    The scripts are well written and then acting is great. SO overall this is a great show.
  • Two brothers solve crimes together. One is an FBI agent, the other a mathematics professor. Using math to solve federal cases, Don and Charlie Epps cement their relationship as brothers and occasionally call in dad to give a little back up help.

The storyline is original. Two brothers with nothing in common until they work on cases together. The actors who play Charlie and Don do a marvelous job and each episode the viewer sees a different side of each character. For example, the viewer found out that Don was engaged and used to be a baseball player, almost professional. The viewer also gets to watch as Charlie tries to decide whether he should or should not ask out his assistent/student. The viewer sits on his/her couch and hopes that Don will date his partner in the FBI and Charlie will date his assistent/student. Though true to television history, the people the viewer wants together don't get together because then there would be no storyline. So, the viewer will get to sit through another well thought out season of almost dates and professions of crushes while Charlie helps his brother solve California's weirdest and most difficult mysteries.
  • A very original idea for a TV show!

This is an awesome show, definitely one of the best CBS has rolled out in a long time. In an age when TV shows are playing themselves out early by relying on tired ideas, Numb3rs has the potential for great things, because it's starting with an original idea that builds from something that is a great basis for a TV show; Crime. David Krumholtz is truly awesome in his Role as Charlie, the brilliant mathematician who helps his brother, Don (Rob Morrow, of "Northern Exposure" fame) solve FBI crimes using his mind and intelligence (oh no!) thru mathematics. The show will be a bit much for some folks; lots of quick moving thoughts, fast ideas and not a lot of gun play. The series is executive produced by Ridley and Tony Scott, both whom are known for electrifying stories to new levels. Their influence is felt on the camera work; the show moves like a film, not like a TV show. These few factors plus great writing will hopefully keep this show alive for a long time, beating out the boredom of most shows on ABC and NBC as of late. Five stars out of five. Catch this show.
  • It is about these 2 men which are brothers one of them is a Cop and the other one is a professor. He help his brother solve crimes that his brother is involved in. He solves all his crimes by using probability,math and strange but true it works.

This show will keep you guessing and waiting for the end. But what I really like about the show is how they solve the crimes it is very diffrent from any other crime solving show.The closes show that comes close to this show is Case Closed.I think that we have a long time until this show goes of air. I like it personally I almost love it.
  • How this show differs from CSI is just great. It also features other crimes not inly murders and homicides.

This show is great! I often watch CSI but this show is different. It features crimes different from all the murders that CSI keeps showing. Although CSI is also great, this is fresh relief from all the dead people that CSI brings. A very good storyline with something new every episode. Hope that the 2nd season will be better than the first.
  • X-Files like FBI scenes, with a really neat twist! -\"What\'s the compliment to an equilateral triangle? My you\'re looking acute today!\"

Although it's not really the sci-fi aspect of X-Files, each episode brings you a really good story, and you don't have to have seen any previous episode to know what is going on!

Clearly later on, the X-Files veered away from this, like every good show, and started some heavy character development and in-depth plots. I also expect numb3rs to do the same, with such neat ideas for the first season, I'm expecting alot from season 2!

My favorite part of this show has to be the visual representation of the math that Charlie does in his head, it makes it really fun to watch! Each episode plot seems to be well thought out and it dosen't have the corny feel that the movie Precinct 13 had... man were the 'tactics' that were used in that movie bad!

This isn\'t a show that you\'re going to want to choose as your one show and only watch that if you had to choose one alone, it just dosen\'t have the continuing plot (that we know of yet). But for those peopel that like to hear a new story every time, or who flick between channels to find something to watch, this is your show!

Jordan
  • Something different

The show Numb3rs is a different kind of crime drama. One which is out of the norm from what we are used to. Solving crimes by numbers is a brilliant concept. It shows a whole different side of math and equasions. It shows how logic and deduction can benifit in police work. I think the acting is good and the crimes are interesting that they try to solve. With a bit more tweeking this show could be a big hit. It may be a bit before its time. It took me a few times to catch on and appreciate it. But it was worth it.
  • How long can this last?

6.1
    \"Numb3rs\" is an interesting idea for something new and different in the police procudural area, but the execution is not very good. The math concepts are barely explained and there is no elaboration, so the mathematics are essentially a frosting to a standard police drama. Don Eppes as played by Rob Morrow is a one-dimensional essentially standard-issue FBI agent [minus the boring ties] who acts like his face would crack if he smiled. David Krumholtz\'s portrayl of Charlie Eppes is wonderful: a fully realized mathematician operating at genius level who is not a flake, weirdo, lacking in personal hygiene [though he could shave more often] or removed from the world at large. I\'d be happy if the show was just an hour with Charlie Eppes. Judd Hirsch and Peter MacNicol are just wasted here; they have very little to do.

I like the dark quality to the show and the acting is good overall, but this show is one-trick pony and it bored me after 5 episodes. The staying power of \"Numb3rs\" is questionable, at best.
  • When an interesting concept is combined with a terrific cast and great writing, good things happen.

Watching the previews for this show, I recognized many actors whose work I'd enjoyed in the past: Rob Morrow, Judd Hirsch and Peter MacNicol.

I watched the first episode with great trepidation. Would the show itself live up to my expectations? Would the actors I enjoyed in their other works have roles worthy of their talents? Would I even like the show?

I was surprised to answer "yes" to every question. When an interesting concept is combined with a terrific cast and great writing, good things happen.

Unlike some other crime based shows, "Numb3rs" uses mathematics as a tool. Many shows will use something like triangulation to locate a person, place or thing. "Numb3rs" takes that concept much further and relies on statistics and the abilities of mathematics professor Charlie Eppes (David Krumholtz) to help his brother, FBI agent Don Eppes (Morrow), solve puzzling cases.

While it may sound like a dry concept, the heart of the show is the relationship of the brothers and their father Alan Eppes (Hirsch). Some of the best scenes are father and sons puzzling out a case - or life - together. They are all still dealing with the death of Alan's wife, the mother of his sons. Their grief is an undercurrent in their relationship and in many of the plots as well. It adds to the depth and development of the characters.

The supporting cast is equally good and definitely helps bring the show and its characters to life. Peter MacNicol is nearly perfect as Dr. Larry Fleinhardt, a physics professor and close friend of Charlie's. More often than not, Larry will be called upon to help Charlie work out the correct equation. Amita Ramanujan (Navi Rawat) is Charlie's graduate student and unrequited love interest - although that may change with the next season. Amita increasingly helps Charlie think the equations through to solve the case.

David Sinclair (Alimi Ballard) and Terry Lake (Sabrina Lloyd) are Don's FBI partners. Both shine in the roles. Ms. Lloyd has chosen not to return for the second season and she will be missed.
  • its about these two brothers one is not smart hes a policeman the other is a nerd he helps them by using math or science.

It's a great show its really good if u want to be a policemen or if you like math or science.But if you dont like either its still a great show to watch.It would be nice if it had more ads on tv just in case i forget when it was coming on.
  • New show added to My Favorites list: Numbers

Great new show with interesting characters and a neat twist what with the math thing and all. I didn\'t think I would like this show since I really can\'t stand math (much to my Brother\'s chagrin he is a real Rocket Scientist and a mathematics wizard!) but, it has piqued my interest now that I realize how important numbers(no pun intended!) really are. It\'s lot softer than any of the CSI\'s but still long on action and drama. I suggest you watch a couple of episodes and decide for yourself, I missed a few episodes in the beginning and would really like them to put the show on DVD release so I can watch from beginning to end. Two thumbs up!!
  • Two brothers: one a well accomplished FBI agent & the other a Mathmatical genius. What more needs to be said. Charlie helps his brother solve crimes in the FBI by showing him a mathmatical solution.

This show is some what hard to make sound appealing on paper. Unlike most crime shows, this one leans more to the solution side of mathmatics to aid his brother Don (FBI). This show easily became renewed for season 2, based upon great ratings. Some of the cases depicted on the show are based on true events used to fight crime. Its interesting because it shows how to eliminate the obvious by using logic and math to aid in solving the crime. David Krumholtz, Peter MacNicol, and Judd Hirsch are some of the more well known faces who have played in a wide vairety shows from movie to television. Good acting, drama, action, stuff getting blown up, occasional hot women, and crime who could resist? Watch it to find out why its doing so well.
  • Reality bites, everything we do is about Numbers, needless to say Numbers writers are not perfect but close enough. Thumps up!

There is always a criminal roaming around, and for that criminal there are 2 or more FBI agents ready to get busy, while the minute man are chasing migrant workers . Perhaps chasing a difficult virus can be done by "Numbers", but I can tell you everything we do in life has a number related solution. if you want the show to get even better, just tell the producer to sponsor my Criminal Date Profiling technique (no joke), and you the people will get so scare of reality, that you will hate this immigrant mind.
    Better than if the government decide to listen to new ideas Jessica Lundford would be alive.
    The secret is in Data Analysis! Numbers!
  • If only I could catch it on.

I always miss Numb3rs but when I saw the only episode of it that I've seen so far I was in love with it. And yes...I am 15 years old and I do watch alot of NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. etc. But Numb3rs is a show that I really enjoy. Especially since I love math I knew this was a show that I'd really enjoy. I'm glad they use numbers to solve their crimes and that...is what makes this show original.
  • Balancing The Equation

7.8
    Many shows are credited as being "smart" because it's a fun word to use that has the luxury of being vague. Is it smart metaphorically? Is it smart verbally? Is it smart structurally?

Numb3rs, despite its irritating title (I get that the show says that numbers are everything, but that does not mean they're allowed to use l33+ or however the hell that affront to the English language is "spelled"), is a smart show in that it makes you feel dumb.

Technically, the show is basically a medical mystery drama we've seen plenty of times before except instead of obscure science terminology solving the case, it's obscure math terminology. But whereas the medical jargon feels tired and I get exhausted just thinking about it, Numb3rs feels exciting and it makes you say "boy, math is cool!" which is a big deal as most programs not paid for by Viewers Like You aren't big on promoting learning. Oddly enough, the show reminds me of the show Square One which used to air on PBS, specifically a serial drama within the show called "Mathnet".

But while the show might be the best thing for getting kids interested in math since Topless Tutors, it should be beaten with a stick for wasting such a tremendous cast.

David Krumholtz is the mathematician who not only carries the burden of playing a mathematical genius (and he's a natural at it), but he's carrying almost the rest of the cast as well and with a cast like this, it doesn't add up (the math puns are gonna keep comin' folks).

Rob Morrow is technically the show's lead male and he's a personality vacuum. He seems to exist as nothing more than an action tool and a reason for female viewers to tune in. Where is the sly investigator he played in Quiz Show?

And what about Sabrina Lloyd and Judd Hirsch? These two are TV veterans (although Hirsch much more so than Lloyd) and they've both played a wide range of characters. So why Lloyd nothing more than "lead female/love interest" and Hirsch is just wise and lovable Dad?

Alimi Ballard plays black guy. I don't say that to be insulting. I say that because I think it's insulting to have this guy be an almost non-existent character but in the main credits.

Peter MacNicol is fun as always, but his character is a bit too much of a plot device and seems to exist mainly to help out Krumholtz, either intentionally or unintentionally.

This show is missing out on so much dramatic conflict and forcing the prodcedural aspect to bear the weight of the drama, and that makes for a highly unbalanced show.

Hopefully the second season will be able to balance the equation (told you the math puns would continue) and rise to its potential because I would much rather have more shows like Numb3rs on the air than yet another dramedy about lawyers or doctors.
  • this show is so amazing, real math, great characters and plots. Keeps me interested and I love watching every friday night. cant wait for season 2!

Numb3rs is a great crime show that involves real math and great characters. Each new plot is interesting and keeps my interest throughout the episode. There's also a bit of humor in the episodes which really help. Friday nights are my favorite because of Numb3rs and I look forward to season 2 and more fun episodes!
  • Interesting, but it does not contain nearly as much math or deductive reasoning that I anticipated. They need to embrace this aspect more, for they really havent developed the characters or a solid story enough to let it stand on its own.

7.6
    This show is interesting, but it does not contain nearly as much math or deductive reasoning that I anticipated. They need to embrace this aspect more, for they really havent developed the characters or a solid story enough to let it stand on its own. I was hoping that it would contain much more physics and explanations of physcis in it. As the total maount of math and physics is really not all that much, this show begins to feel like just a regular crime show. It is an original idea, but they need to make sure they commit to it fully or the idea will flop and the show will have to rely on its character/story foundation that it has neglected to build, ultimately resulting in its tumble.

My final review: Intriguing, yet not enough of what it advertised. Something to watch though if nothing else is on.
    I love this show! It's a perfect show for me and I think David Krumholtz is the perfect Charlie and the rest of the cast is also perfect for the parts they play.I just wish Sabrina Lloyd had stayed. I miss her! The show is fantastic and I can't wait to see more of it this fall! Definitely an obsession of mine and it is fully intended that it stay that way!
  • You just can't beat the combination all the characters bring to the show. A must see for all.

Numb3ers is honestly one of the best shows I have ever seen. The conflict and drama this highly talented cast brings to the show leaves no doubt in my mind that this series will be around for many years to come.

The Eppes appear to be an American family. A widowed father with two completely different sons- Alan Eppes holds his small family together with tough love and gentle understanding. The patriarch of the trio must deal with his eldest, Don,constantly being in the line of fire as a high-ranking F.B.I. agent. Couple that with fatherly worry over his youngest, Charlie, a genius, who has trouble understanding simple things- like how to ask a girl out! :)

The sons team up to solve crimes using Charlie's mind for math and Don's street-smarts. Every week, the two face a new problem and tackle it with the evident Eppes tenacity. Don't miss this thrilling show!

• #'s has a clever intertwine of mathematical concepts and a reasonable plot to match such intricacy. Real Deal, if you are willing to believe.

The show #'s hopes to define other uses of mathematics, such as to solve crime. Every episode there is mathematical concept that is used to solve some kind of scandal. The show is believable in the sense that it flows smoothly and the actors seem confident when they explain the reasoning behind what they believe is the key to the crime. On the other hand, one can say that math cannot possibly solve these crimes so effectively, but the show does well in incorporating common sense when the math can get ridiculous. There is always Murphy's Law to rely on when they run out of ideas.
  • This show is about two brothers. One is a cop and another helps the police out by using math to solve crimes.

This show has action,crime,and math. Who wouldn\'t like that? This show is awsome. Its filled with action and suspense.You get to learn how people solve crimes.You get to learn math a fun way. I give this show two thumbs up and four stars.If you have never seen it, you have to.
  • A unique perspective in crime drama.

I cannot agree that this show suffers from a lack of character development. The best thing about the show is the personal interactions between the three men in the family. All three actors have many years of experience, and their talents are considerable. As the series progresses, the pain, conflict, and love experienced by the characters unfolds, as the history of the family tragedy -- and the characters reactions to it -- are revealed.

I am especially drawn to the character of Charlie. The figure of the "tortured genius" evokes in many women an emotional response, and that has made me a faithful fan of the show. The contrast between the brothers -- the hard-boiled, practical cop and the somewhat mystical, mathematical genius who seems to be just now coming face to face with the real world -- adds a unique twist to this crime drama with a difference.
  • The kind of show where you see the ads at the beginning of the season, think "wtf??!!", then get totally sucked into the story by the end of the pilot.

At first glance, this show seemed like a total waste of time. After all, who's going to be interested in watching a crime drama based on mathematics? And not just your average 1+2=3 kind of math, either - the kind of math that the majority of people avoided at all costs in school and would not now be interested in watching for entertainment.

For those people out there who let that original impression keep them from tuning in, I pity you.

What this show is actually about is a surprisingly typical dysfunctional family, nevermind that one brother is a mathematics genius and the other is an FBI agent. As each crime and solution unfolds, so do new tidbits about the brothers and their odd relationship to each other and to their father.

End note: Some people complain that mathematicians (through Charlie) are portrayed as idiot savants in the show, unable to deal with anything but math on their own. I think, though, that it is the other way around for Charlie. He is emotionally frail, lacking in common sense, and seems barely able to shut his own brain down when it goes on overdrive. The fact that he is a genius at math is merely secondary to this, more a symptom than the problem.
  • The show is a balance of the rocky relationship between Don and Charlie and of the efforts they make to fight crime, normally in Los Angeles. On some fronts, it is similar in execution to CSI.

Rob Morrow stars as FBI agent Don Eppes, who recruits his mathematical genius brother, Charlie (David Krumholtz), to help the Bureau solve a wide range of challenging crimes in Los Angeles. From two very different perspectives, the brothers take on the most confounding criminal cases, aided by Don's partner, Terry Lake (Sabrina Lloyd), and new FBI recruit David Sinclair (Alimi Ballard). Although their father, Alan (Judd Hirsch), is pleased to see his sons working together, he fears their competitive nature will lead to trouble. Charlie's colleague, physicist Dr. Larry Fleinhardt (Peter MacNicol), urges Charlie to focus more on his university studies than on FBI business. Inspired by actual events, NUMB3RS depicts how the confluence of police work and mathematics provides unexpected revelations and answers to the most perplexing criminal questions.
  • Often referred to as "The Little TV Show That Could," Numb3rs has yet to gain mainstream popularity but became something of a cult hit during its first season.

FBI agent Don Eppes (Rob Morrow, formerly of Northern Exposure) recruits his younger brother, Charlie (David Krumholtz), a mathematical genius and college professor, to help solve some of Don's toughest cases. Although others at the bureau are skeptical of Charlie's involvement, he finds support in a colleague at the unversity where he teaches. Numb3rs is the first broadcast-network series produced by brothers Ridley and Tony Scott, following their cable network collaboration, The Hunger.

The names of Scott brothers attached to the title certainly didn't hurt, and the cast is quirky enough to raise a few interested eyebrows (besides Rob Morrow and Sabrina Lloyd, you've also got Judd Hirsch in the mix). While the series is a bit heavy on the tech-speak and often flirts with alienating pretentiousness, the character dynamics and action scenes are raw and exciting, as to be expected with Tony and Ridley on board as executive producers. Hopefully, the show will continue to grow in its second season enough to warrant maybe getting the hell out of its Friday night timeslot. The names of The Brothers Scott attached to the title certainly didn't hurt, and the cast is quirky enough to raise a few interested eyebrows (besides Rob Morrow and Sabrina Lloyd, you've also got Judd Hirsch in the mix). While the series is a bit heavy on the tech-speak and often flirts with alienating pretentiousness, the character dynamics and action scenes are raw and exciting, as to be expected with Tony and Ridley on board as executive producers. Hopefully, the show will continue to grow in its second season enough to warrant maybe getting the hell out of its Friday night timeslot.
  • General overview of the show

This show may have been a mid season replacement but it caught my attention right away. FBI using math to help solve cases was and interesting idea for a show. The writing is superb and the family aspect of the show is what keeps me watching. ROb Morrow, David Krumholtz, and Judd Hirsh make the Eppes family completely beleiveable. Can't wait for season 2
  • Numb3rs is one of the best shows on TV. The casting, writing, acting, and directing are all top-notch. The character development has been engaging. The combination of mathematics and crime solving makes it a show for people who want to think.

I heard a radio interview with Rob Morrow a few weeks before Numb3rs debuted. Because I had enjoyed a few episodes of Northern Exposure when it was originally on the air, and had recently watched a few on late night TV, I paid attention. I had not watched a network TV series in a very long time, and probably would not have started watching this one if this hadn't happened. However, it's hard to know for sure, because its first episode pre-empted 60 Minutes, a show I watch regularly. I have not missed an episode of Numb3rs since it started, and have enjoyed the crime solving and the character development. I think there will be a lot to learn about all of the main characters over the next season and am looking forward to it.
  • I really like how the show combines solving crimes with numbers.

I think all the characters work so well together and it really shows that. All of the actors have great chemistry and that really comes across on screen which is a really good thing.

Good Points: The show has a good balance of solving crimes with numbers which you definitly wouldn't expect. From what I gathered from the show, this actually happens i the FBI where they have someone come in and help solve crimes using numbers. I could be wrong but that's just a guess.

Bad Points: What bad points? I honestly don't think the show has any bad points. It is an awesome show.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9