Numb3rs

CBS (ended 2010)

layle1

Numb3rs Fan Reviews (249)

• Obviously nerdy but not smart yet.

3.5
    First, I'd like to state that I judge poorly this show for its first three seasons. Therefore I wouldn't know if it has improved or not since then.

The idea of a show combining crime and mathematics was great... Finally investigations that wouldn't rely on major breakthrough coming from nowhere. Mathematics are rational, I thought the show would have "kept it real".

I was disappointed by the lack of rationality "behind the maths". I studied mathematics for a long time now to know that (almost) everything can be modelized by mathematics, we may wonder about the relevance of the results though.

In Numb3rs (check out l33t language...) or Numbers, two worlds collide : the "real" one and the "theoretical" one. Lucky for us we can count on Charlie Eppes to bridge the two. How can he do such a thing? Some would argue that he is a genius, I would bet on the fact that he uses magic. Problem is maths aren't any kind of SFX you can turn around and throw as you like, there are several good things (I mean appropriate and well designed) in the show. It's the process as a whole that lacked consistency and credit.

I don't mind making fun of science (The Big Bang Theory), but don't make it sound like it's serious...
  • Murder + Equations = Crap

There's been a murder, break out the maths text books! What is going on with the world today? How can this even have got past the first season let alone struggle on to it's third. It's just so boring with no way in the world for the viewer to guess what has actually happened. It's similar to watching a program following a group of addicts through three tough months when at the end of the show the narator says 'And three months after filming they are all still using copius amounts of drugs'. What was the point of watching the damn thing for 45 mintues!

In summary, this program is uninteresting and pointless (but well made)
  • Numb3rs is a FBI crime drama. A math genius is hired to help sove crimes by designing and creating mathematical algorithms for each crime to be solved.

As a math teacher in a public high school, I found the idea of solving and investigating crime using mathematical formulas and algorithms interesting. And so I watched all of season 1 and most of season 2 before I decided that I was not going to watch anymore episodes. The writing is very mediocre and the acting and character development is below average. I kept thinking that this show had to get better. What ended the show for me was an episode in season two that was a predictable Hollywood, "I hate Christianity" episode. In this episode we have a Christian who was a suspect in a murder investigation. The Christian was interrogated by the FBI agents. The Christian then tells one agent that he and his girlfriend do not believe in sex before marriage. Back at the FBI headquarters one agent tells another one that any man who does not believe in sex before marriage is a suspect. No man would ever say that. And so the plot or lack of it continues as these investigators travel to "Hollywood's version of a Christian's" home. They open up a closet in his house that is filled with sadomasochism paraphernalia. For a show that is supposed to be based on logic and mathematics, this entire scene was completely irrelevant to the plot since this "Hollywood's version of a Christian" turned out to be innocent, and had no association to the true killer.
  • gonna miss it

i'm good at math,its not hard as ppls think,you just put a very ancient table how to plus,minus,etc in youre brain.instead writting in paper,youre writting in youre brain.the problem is math is using so many "recipe",i followed that until i saw a great flaw in Eco math.
  • I learned math in middle school, but what is x+2=6? Well, this show tells you exactly what.

This show is the show that kids are expected to watch, but can\\\'t watch because it is too crimey. By crimey I mean gruesome and hazardous to a child\\\'s mind. It\\\'s a simple mix between math and crime. And the question is...why? But seriously, who wants to watch a show including math, which is a wierd subject with the world we are in today. Overall, it is a good crime show...but it fails because it incorporates math.
  • A show ABOUT numbers: not a show WITH numbers. There is no Math here!!!!!!!!!!!

1.3
    This is a show that, yes, does make some reference to numbers or math in general. However, it makes absolutely no use of numbers whatsoever. Name one show where an actual equation was given and some math took place.
    This show should be called Meta-Numb3rs. It's a show that is about numbers, but does not use numbers. Actually, most of the time it is a show about logic and does not even reference numbers. Even then, to call it 'logic' as though you needed some sort of logistical expertise to figure it out, is a huge exaggeration. Therefore, the show should be called meta-Common Sense since the show makes reference to common sense, but no one bothers to use any. You could take the majority of Charlie’s exasperated and totally asinine explanations and sum them up with one or two sentences from someone who was above comatose. This show is essentially 5 minutes of a CSI episode stretched over the course of 45 minutes.
    Hey, I love Rob Morrow and that is why I watched over 20 episodes of this craptastic exercise to prove how stupid the public really is, but I’ll be damned if I watch another minute. How stupid do you really have to be to have Charlie explain, in elaborate detail (for no less than 2 minutes) why Kids would be running in the opposite direction of a shooter.
    Scott and Scott: You make me sick!!!
  • What a disaster

what the hell are they trying to show ?
    I can not bear it . It's complete crap . . . .
    I don't know how people are able to watch this even now . i just watched 10 episodes in hope that it would ever get better but it got worse .
    I can't understand how the hell the writers can think of such a disaster and then continue it for so long when other good shows get cancelled every now and then . I think the channel doesn't have anything else to air so they have to continue this crap . otherwise there isn't any reason to keep a show this bad on air for 2 seasons.
    no story ... no logic .... nothing
    it's a complete waste.
    one of the worst shows ever !!!!!!

If you haven't seen this you're lucky and if you're still seeing this ......... i don't know how do you tolerate it . it requires a lot of patience to watch shows as bad as this .
  • Boring

I don't know. I've watched the first 8 episodes of Numb3rs and thought is was no better than your standard off the wall detective series.

I mean you have your typical characters: The leader, his ex-girlfriend/partner, the african-american guy AND the genius but strange brother.

Oh, c'mon. They really could've done much better. I always solved the case after 25 minutes into the show and the characters where still trying to figure out what 'The brother' had to tell...
  • Nerd Number Anologies an uneeded crutch! These numeric schticks detract from the character likeability which is a no no in prime time television programming. This gimmick has overstayed it's welcome.

Numb3rs could be a show that rates 8 or above except for one glaring negative. Those nerd numeric theory segments are time wasting, over the top and just plain hoaky. I feel I as the viewer am being talked down to. These analogies are boring and waste valuable plot time. The actors/characters can do quite fine without those numeric nerd analogies. One is bad enough per episode but two or three is inexcusable. Therefore, I downrate Numb3rs to a 6.5 rating of FAIR. Decrese the number of nerd analogies and you got yourself a high ranking drama! These numeric schticks detract from the character likeability which is a no no in prime time television programming. With so much entertainment out there
  • Cop Show+Math=Numb3rs, horrible equation!

Just when you thought there couldn't be any more cop shows on TV, CBS comes with this Numb3rs show. I really think they made this show just to show kids that you do use trig,calculus and college algebra in everyday life. A nerd using math equations to solve crimes......... a little crazy in my opinion. Besides the using of complicated and ridiculous equations to catch criminals this show is not all bad. Has a good storyline with good characters. But has anyone taken the time to realize that most dramas on TV are cop shows. Not that I don't like cop shows, but one can only handle so many of them, and I can do without this one.
  • awesome

Im glad they cancelled the show. It was annoying and a waist of time. I cant stand the re-runs. CBS should also cancel the show psych. Thats also a waist of time. Now criminal minds, flashpoint,law n order and coldcase are what CBS should be playing more of. now those are shows that have good rateings.
  • How to look geek with a title and find who's the murderer between two sudoku grids...

The police of wherever-city seems to be in trouble as they need mathematicians to solve their cases.
    I didn't manage to follow many numbers' episodes. In fact, I often watch the ten first minutes then I fall brutally asleep. This show is as fun and as interesting as a math class.
    I just hope that the idea was not to prove that math are usefull in real life.
  • Corruption of a series

What is going on with the writers and producers of "Numb3rs"?

It would be too much to expect that any Television series could remain immune to the politics and anti-intellectualism of the Television Industry. "Numb3rs" has clearly succumbed.
    Throughout Season Two we have seen the incorporation of leftist politics in the plots of "Numb3rs" episodes;
    "Numb3rs" has become yet another social-issue-of-the-week series.
    For me, episode "Protest" (#29) in which the real bad guy is a retired FBI agent crossed the line.
    The writers and producers surely couldn't get away a script in which an honorably retired FBI agent
    ends the episode in handcuffs, but there is no doubt that he and (his generation of) the FBI are the bad guys.
    Now in "Mind Games" (#30) they have ejected the mathematics.

In many episodes the grafting of a mathematics theme onto the plots has appeared forced and artificial.
    The mathematics component in "Mind Games" (the Fokker-Planck equation) is one of the most cursory we have yet seen.
    The separation of the show's mathematics consultant from the show's writers is painful to see.
    The show's writers are clearly more enamored with the psychic character and the plot developments that come from the psychic theme than they are interested in mathematics.

Insincerity and opportunism have found a home in the writing of "Numb3rs" scripts.

Postscript:
    To say more explicitly what bothers me most about this series: It lures in an audience with pretentions to presenting something about mathematics; then, on the one hand, gives an extremely superficial snapshot of a mathematical techinque in a way that has very little instructional value, while, on the other hand, embedding the crime plot in a far better developed social issue drama where the only right thinking interpretation of the social issue is one of the liberal / leftist / Democratic Party variety.
    That is a disgusting practice. It's called propaganda.
    And it saddens me that mathematics is being used and abused this way.
  • It's another CSI follower

5.8
    I found the first episode interesting... using math as the basis of investigating is interesting.. something new for me but then.. after many episode ahead.. it seems they lost the creative story... the story is not challenging anymore... the case seems not so special... the connection between the case and the math is sometimes not make any sense... especially the second season... i don't know why i still watch it anymore... when i watch this show i always do something else... this show never make me focus on the screen... boring is the right choice of words for this show
  • Wow. A show about $250,000 sneakers. I don't know what is going on with this show. I am sad to see a plot line as this.

A story that is so hard to believe, wow. The cast must have been biting these tongues for not laughing out loud. "he wore them that ruins the value!" Both characters speak at the same time. When the purp making a huge jump "gotta be the shoes" All the cheezy lines in this one episode was too much for me to handle. Counterfeit shoes. my head is spinning at all the nonsense. I do hope to see this show hopefully back on track or indeed this will be the final season. For once a good show has evolved into a bunch of one lines with a splash of math.
  • Nonsense

Quite enjoyable for a couple of episodes and then very quickly became very formulaic, very silly and very tiresome.
  • This is a great show although what happened to Sabrina Lloyd/Terry Lake?

0.0
    What happened to this show? Last season was great because she was great. I don\\\'t know how much I like this show anymore without her/her character. The replacement does not do this type of role- JUSTICE. Sabrina Lloyd is/was a much better actress than the new sidekick/partner for FBI/Northern Exposure man?
  • Silly Show

Based on the kickoff episode it *doesn\'t add up.* When I heard the premise of the dhow, I had high hopes. The idea is fine, but the particulars are just silly. One of many examples is the genius explaining how no one knows why pi shows up in diverse places. In fact, start with basic premises, you derive the equations, and there is pi. The number 2 also shows up a lot, but think how silly it would sound if he said \"No one understands the number 2 and why it is always popping up\". It might help to hire some mathematicians as advisors fort the show.
  • not very gripping.

4.8
    This show simply gives us the quirky ally mcbeal character, and giving the actor nothng but another quirky ally mcbeal actor to play on while fitting it into some law and order/csi related show. Taking the concept of Aronfoski's Pi and putting it into an American CBS drama series just doesn't seem to work, it seems familiar, boring and something i'm not entirely interested in.
  • How long can this last?

6.1
    \"Numb3rs\" is an interesting idea for something new and different in the police procudural area, but the execution is not very good. The math concepts are barely explained and there is no elaboration, so the mathematics are essentially a frosting to a standard police drama. Don Eppes as played by Rob Morrow is a one-dimensional essentially standard-issue FBI agent [minus the boring ties] who acts like his face would crack if he smiled. David Krumholtz\'s portrayl of Charlie Eppes is wonderful: a fully realized mathematician operating at genius level who is not a flake, weirdo, lacking in personal hygiene [though he could shave more often] or removed from the world at large. I\'d be happy if the show was just an hour with Charlie Eppes. Judd Hirsch and Peter MacNicol are just wasted here; they have very little to do.

I like the dark quality to the show and the acting is good overall, but this show is one-trick pony and it bored me after 5 episodes. The staying power of \"Numb3rs\" is questionable, at best.
  • I like dark shows but geez!

One of the things that made me watch NUMB3RS is that I didn't have to watch graphic murders and murder scenes. This is what happened here. I'd rather be strangled with an emotionally charged show than this something like this. I have enjoyed getting to know the brothers and even watching their dad but tonight I should have killed the dvr and cut my losses. This isn't typical NUMB3RS to stray into God land and it showed. I would have rated it very low but it did have it's moments with Megan, with Charlie and it was interesting to watch Charlie deal with with religion, something he didn't seem to be keen on. Okay, saving the remaining shows, I swear so I have something to watch in February!
  • Numb3rs presented a new idea to television... Math could be interesting? I love the idea of using differential calculus, Fibonacci sequences, and Euler circuits to solve crime just as much as the next person, but really, math isn't a magician's hat...

When Numb3rs first came out, I was very excited. I enjoyed the idea of someone using mathematics to solve crimes and this show was much more interesting than many other shows that came off of the CSI buzz. The premise was slightly more divergent than the rest, and I enjoyed that.
    The characters are interesting, but they are far from the focus of the story lines; there isn't a lot of focus on a particular nemesis or bizarre "evil-math-solving-Moriarty-clone" and I must say, you have to respect the writers a little for not taking that route. However, as the show progressed, Charlie's "math" became less of a realistic tool that is used by the FBI, and more of a magical solve-all algorithm that would tell the identity of the killer, his address, and his favorite color, much like the CSI fingerprint database or digital-enhancing software. I love the idea of using differential calculus, Fibonacci sequences, and Euler circuits to solve crime just as much as the next person, but really, math isn't a magician's hat. It's getting a little ridiculous, isn't it? The math gets repetitive as the plots seem to mesh and there simply isn't something overwhelmingly spectacular about this show, really. Rent the DVD of the first season.
  • PLEASE NO MORE MATH!

This show sometimes makes me cry because well I suck at math but it's not ALWAYS about math whch I like. This is the show ment for math fanatics (which I am no where near of). I sometimes get a headache after this show because of all the big numbers!
  • You know how in kung fu movies the whole hour is worthless filler in between 15 minutes of action? Numb3rs is like that, but with Math as the one draw in an otherwise terribly written show.

I like this show, however I can't honestly say it's good. See, I was a math major in college, and while my laziness and bad professors made me eventually hate doing math, I like the concept of math, the logic, the fascination with solving problems, the objective scientific precision. I have always preferred, say, physics to biology because the former is quantifiable into known kinetic functions while the latter is just Art History Appreciation for Animals.

To wit, I love the bits in Numb3rs where they summarize known mathematics and show how it applies to a useful, practical cause, in this case catching criminals. And I have a parent in scientific academia, so I find the characterizations of the three main mathematicians spot-on in a way that speaks to me personally. But unless you or someone you know is a mathematcian, none of that will appeal to you.

The negative side of this show is that it makes all the standard mistakes of almost every other Procedural tv show and then some. Every other character, from the stoic, flat, uninteresting protagonist FBI agent to the empathic mandatory female lead, are boring and stereotypical. The show overuses Red Herrings and MacGuffins so often you can tell that the guy they're trying to make you think is guilty is innocent. It feels like none of the team of writers knows anything more about criminals or the FBI than what they've seen on other, average tv shows. Most of the non-math dialogue is cringe-wrothy, and it's annoying how insanely attractive women are constantly willing to launch themselves on the characters just because they've been onscreen together for longer than 2 minutes. Mathmaticians DON'T GET NONE! That's kind of why they spend all their time doing math.

So there's that. Numb3rs is more or less the product of their one mathematician consultant who provides the only interesting aspects of the show and almost assuredly the character of the show's only 3 interesting figures (the three mathematicians). What this thing really needs is some WRITERS.
  • Like the CSI series, which postulates that we always leave traces of our passage, this suggests that math describes our universe in many subtle ways.

5.7
    I joined the series on episode 5, where the writers seem to start losing their nerve. The relationship of the math to the crime problem is still there, but they're starting to 'force' it in. Like those lame crime shows where the problem is always to find the right meaning of the clue the victim deliberately left behind. The next episode appears to be even more forced, with a cryptanalyst dad being extorted to supply encryption algorithms to a nefarious hacker? Get back to math being used to explain routine problems.

I hope it succeeds, gets its feet back, because we could use some more cerebral prime time entertainment, and this shows a lot of promise.
  • Solving the NUMB3RS Problem

6.2
    While not having seen every episode of CBS’s mathematically oriented crime drama, I believed I have sampled enough of them to identify a statistically significant pattern. Using the Sarnoff-Paley Hypothesis of TV drama plots, measured against the Farnsworth Algorithm for Consistency Modeling, it appears that every episode of this series is basically the same, only with modified variables as to names, places, and the specialized terminology of academe. This leads us to an inevitable conclusion: NUMB3RS is written by computers using sophisticated algorithms that take different criminal behaviors and homogenize them into a predictable sequence of events. The FBI gets stumped and turns to the math wonks at the university who will provide solutions not once, but three times over the course of the hour, with intermittent updates on their personal relationships. When the wonks are stuck, Judd Hirsch or a surrogate will make an offhand observation which turns out to be a vital clue. There will be police action near the end to make the FBI feel better about itself. So there it is. By watching NUMB3RS I have developed the analytical skills to figure out why it does not rank as one of the top TV crime dramas today.
  • I think this show needs to get a little tuned up

I think this show needs to get a little tuned up. It's ok. But it it's not good. If you know what I mean. It needs a little something. Nemesis for Charlie. He needs to have an evil maths genius, someone to move his mind a little.
    They have to much personal life involved in. I don't think it needs that much. I mean you can watch it; it's ok when you don't have anything better to watch. I don't miss it at all during a week. And I don't know when it is on, I just step on it when I search my TV guide.
  • Not my favourite but...all right

7.3
    I watched less than a dozen episodes from the first season and I thouht that most of them were great. After that, I watched whenever I could and I completely lost interest because I think that show really repeats itself and should have stopped after the first season. Basically it goes like this: theres a muder or a crime, cops cant figure it out to the smart guy using numbers figures it out. Bad guys go to hail the end. I find that really repetitive. I think that it's just pretty unoriginal now and even though I haven't seen more than 1 episode from season 1 and 2, I don't like it anymore but I can understand why others do.
  • A solid, if unoriginal, episodic cop series.

I've watched a lot of cop series (e.g. Law & Order, Bones, Castle, A Touch of Frost, The Mentalist, Life, Monk etc). Numb3rs places itself firmly in the middle of the pack. It is a solid show, quite enjoyable and recommended if you like this kind of show. Don't expect something original though.

So, why is it not great? Well to start with it, just like most other series of this type, borrows heavily from other shows like it. Every storyline has been done before, but math is used to come to the same conclusions as they would by looking at evidence in CSI or by noticing stuff in the mentalist/psych, or talking to people in Law & Order. This is often done in a... somewhat convincing way to a layman like me, but I often got the impression that if I were a mathematician I would be screaming at the screen a lot. This doesn't really break the narrative, though, not for me anyway. There are some episodes, however, where the writers betray an unbelievable ignorance and almost disdain for the group of people they are trying to portray (e.g. the hacker episode, the online gaming episodes, and of course any episode with a serial killer). Hardly unique for this series, but that's hardly an excuse. Overall the stupidity of the episodes is held at an acceptable level though.

Something which can be seen as both the main strength of the show as well as its main weakness, is the lack of extremes. Like Law & Order for example, Numb3rs avoids a lot of unnecessary drama that other cop shows (or just shows in general really) are prone too with characters fighting over irrelevant things that put them or their relationship in danger. On the other hand neither does the characters evoke truly strong feelings either. At least not for me. I did not hate or love any of the characters in Numb3rs, I liked them, I was not annoyed by them. They were solid (Megan and Larry my favorites, I also liked how Amita was portrayed most of the time). It would have been easy for them to make Charlie far more eccentric or his relationship with his brother far more loaded. I'm uncertain what to think of that actually since I for the most part found it nice to avoid the drama, but I still feel like not doing it did make it a slightly more mellow show.

Most of the episodic shows like this one usually has an overall storyline (perhaps an arch-villain they battle from time to time), but Numb3rs doesn't seem to have that. This could easily have left it feeling like the show had no direction, but I think they managed to avoid that by letting the character development putter the overall story along.

I'm repeated myself, but overall it was a solid, if unoriginal, piece of storytelling. I enjoyed it.
  • One neat gimmick isn't enough to carry a whole show. They need to develop the characters more thoroughly, and soon, or I fear I might lose interest.

Numb3rs started off promising enough. Yet another cop show with yet another new gimmick. However, it doesn't carry the show. Each episode is just "new case, do some math, catch the bad guy", and it just doesn't hold up as well as it did at the start. I still find it enjoyable to watch, but they need to develop some more depth to the characters, or its one-note thing won't live for very long. It's decent, but that's about it.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9