Numb3rs

CBS (ended 2010)

layle1

Numb3rs Fan Reviews (249)

• Numb3rs has delivered a consistently high quality, entertaining show for the last six years.

Numbe3rs has consistently offered a high quality program that gets better and more polished with each passing year. Now in it's sixth season the show puts a human flavor to the FBI. Every week crime gets crushed with an unusual team of FBI agents and scholars. Don Epps heads a unit of dedicated agents who are progress oriented rather than process oriented like FBI agents depicted in other TV shows. Don is helped by his younger brother, Charlie, a math genius. It is totally interesting how Charlie seems to come up with a mathematical solution to fighting crime. With the aid of scholars at CalSci the street smart FBI team that Don heads always gets the bad guy.

I've recently read where CBS has reduced the number of episodes they've ordered for this season - from 23 to 16. Critics predict that this indicates that the show is in it's final season. After holding top spot on Fridays at 10 pm and this season being preceded by a show that was so dead on arrival that NBC dumped it (how bad does a show have to be to get dumped by NBC?) we can only hope that we are not hearing a death knell for Numbe3rs. If CBS keeps this show and replaces Medium with Flashpoint as it was last season they will continue to hold the Neilsen lock on Friday nights.
  • Numb3rs has been my favorite show since the fist episode of Numb3rs I saw, and I started watching in the beginning of its fourth season. Don't let the title, or the fact that this show involves math scare you off, this show is absolutely wonderful.

I know several people who refuse to watch Numb3rs because of its title, and because of the fact that one of the main characters in the show is a mathematician. Don't let that fact scare you off. Numb3rs is not a 'lets all sit around and do math problems all day' kind of a show. Numb3rs makes you think, which is my favorite thing about it. Numb3rs is informative and interesting and fun to watch. All of the plots are very interesting and [I am speaking as a person who really hates math] I actually enjoy watching Charlie, the mathematician and one of the protagonists of the show, solving the crimes with math. Numb3rs is so different from anything on television, which makes it even more special. Another wonderful thing about Numb3rs is that I find that the show has a perfect balance of romance, as many of the characters have developed romantic relationships over the series; character development/family relationships, which is mostly focused on the two brothers, Don and Charlie; typical crime show things, investigating murders, kidnappings etc; and math. Yes, math. If only all of my math teachers were as interesting and fun as Charlie. If you are contemplating watching Numb3rs, but you're not sure if you'll enjoy a math show, believe me, it's worth a shot, it cannot hurt.
    I hope you enjoy
  • Often referred to as "The Little TV Show That Could," Numb3rs has yet to gain mainstream popularity but became something of a cult hit during its first season.

FBI agent Don Eppes (Rob Morrow, formerly of Northern Exposure) recruits his younger brother, Charlie (David Krumholtz), a mathematical genius and college professor, to help solve some of Don's toughest cases. Although others at the bureau are skeptical of Charlie's involvement, he finds support in a colleague at the unversity where he teaches. Numb3rs is the first broadcast-network series produced by brothers Ridley and Tony Scott, following their cable network collaboration, The Hunger.

The names of Scott brothers attached to the title certainly didn't hurt, and the cast is quirky enough to raise a few interested eyebrows (besides Rob Morrow and Sabrina Lloyd, you've also got Judd Hirsch in the mix). While the series is a bit heavy on the tech-speak and often flirts with alienating pretentiousness, the character dynamics and action scenes are raw and exciting, as to be expected with Tony and Ridley on board as executive producers. Hopefully, the show will continue to grow in its second season enough to warrant maybe getting the hell out of its Friday night timeslot. The names of The Brothers Scott attached to the title certainly didn't hurt, and the cast is quirky enough to raise a few interested eyebrows (besides Rob Morrow and Sabrina Lloyd, you've also got Judd Hirsch in the mix). While the series is a bit heavy on the tech-speak and often flirts with alienating pretentiousness, the character dynamics and action scenes are raw and exciting, as to be expected with Tony and Ridley on board as executive producers. Hopefully, the show will continue to grow in its second season enough to warrant maybe getting the hell out of its Friday night timeslot.
  • i

i found out about this show because my friend was in math class and told me about it and what i heard from her, it was interesting! i wanted to know more so i went online and wanted to watch the episodes online and based on it, amazing! i love it i love all of the crimes and how important math. when i was young i saw a kids show that used math to solve things and this is for a age like me being a 14 yr old. i like everything and wish it will contuine because i find it awesome how interesting math is for the daily life. AWESOME!
  • It has it all!

I am a big fan of Numb3rs. Honestly, after the first season I wondered how the show could continue with such a narrow premise. Six seasons later I am still entertained every week. The real great thing about the show is the depth of the plot. The dynamics of Charlie and Don Epps has been significantly augmented by the addition of many other interesting characters. Whether it's understanding their father's struggle with late life issues or the challenges of law enforcement agents to sustain real relationships, Numb3rs is so much more than just a cop show. It's about human beings trying to deal with their strengths and weaknesses.

If you want something great to watch, Numb3rs is for you. It has terrific acting, innovative scripts, great story lines, vivid characters and a unique space on television. It really does bring together all the best elements.
  • We all use numbers everyday...

When this show first premiered I fell in love with it. The idea was fresh and new, the math was well-done, and the characters were lovable. The main storyline is about FBI Agent Don Eppes (Rob Marrow), who recruits his younger brother, math genius Charlie Eppes (David Krumholtz), to solve crimes. With the addition of a team of FBI agents, and other professors from the fictitious CalSci, the show was a trend setting hit. Now in it's fifth season Numb3rs is loosing a little of it's edge. The math is being stretched, the cases sometimes getting ridiculous ($250,000 shoes, anyone?), but overall, I think that this show still has what it takes. A personal favorite, occasional lame episodes and all.
  • And my "personal favorite". And "better every season".

Last Christmas, a good friend of mine bought me Numb3rs: Season 1. I had never heard of it. At the time, I season 4 was playing, or was getting ready to start. She sincerely thought I would really like it. So, I put in the first disc, and began with episode 1. Not bad. Then I watched the next episode. Then the next. Then on and on. I finished the season. And I LOVED it! I learned that Seasons 2 and 3 were out already, so I bought them instantly. Why is that? Well. For one, I love math. And, for a long time, I've been waiting to go to school so that I can learn more about it. This show, to me, has a lot of heart and compassion in it, which is evident to me that the makers of this great show really care about it. The characters are real. Their stories are real. Each season brings with it something more and better, and I applaud that accomplishment. It could not have been easy bringing this show back to life each year. I can only imagine how much fun it must be to put each succeeding story together, and watch these characters' lives unfold and develop. I dread the finales each time, hoping that this isn't the very last one, while at the same time, the finales bring a really cool kick to the show. My jaw dropped to the floor when Colby was discovered as the double agent. And again when Charlie lost his security clearance. I wonder what will happen next. I for one am rooting for this show. The makers and creaters and actors and actresses all do fantastic work bring these characters and their stories to life every week. That is what is inspiring to me. Thank you.
  • This is one of the best hours currently on television, and it will become a classic.

Numb3rs is one of CBS’ best dramas. The show all relies on the brothers, Don and Charlie Eppes. Rob Morrow and David Krumholtz have the perfect on-screen dynamic that makes their characters’ relationship believable and fun to watch. In episode Convergence (2.2), there is a scene where agents David Sinclair (Alimi Ballard) and Colby (Dylan Bruno) tells Don that his brother is starting to freak them out, and Don handles the situation perfectly. He basically says, "yeah, he’s a freak, but so what he’s my brother." Numb3rs merges the intensity of geeky math and the intensity of the FBI seamlessly to create one griping hour of television each week. Morrow is hot in that "I’m cool but don’t act like a jerk" FBI agent way, while Krumholtz is that hot nerd that every girl secretly has a crush on. Peter MacNicol once again gets to prove his acting talent as Charlie’s best friend, Dr. Larry Fleinhardt. The only weak points of the show are the two main females, agent Megan Reeves (Diane Farr) and Charlie’s friend/crush Amita (Navi Rawat), but both girls get some of the show’s best lines (and where would Charlie be without Amita?). And the great Judd Hirsch is perfect in the role of Alan Eppes, the father of Don and Charlie. Scenes where Hirsch and MacNicol get to play off each other are priceless, just like this show.
  • This show is one of the good ones that I make a point of watching along with csi any, and two and a half men, and how i met your mother.

This is an incredible show, have you watched it, I like the suspense and the drama and the family thread that runs through, It is a good thing. I just like it! It has a quality that you can not find just any where. Please do not cancel the show. Do more advertising or put it in a differant time slot. your casting is great and the production is great. I think that the only thing might be the time. Or maybe it has run it course and it is time to end the thing. I hope there is life after this in sindication. this is a VERY GOOD SHOW!
  • They spelled "Numbers" wrong....

Love the show, love the cast. When a math geek can get a starring role I am reaffirmed that I'm not such a loser. I often wonder if the stuff Charlie scribbles on the board actually means anything...
    Anyway, this series shows a side of law enforcement that we haven't been presented with before; math being used to solve crimes. Its refreshing to watch this crime drama with a dash of comedy, mix in a great cast and great writing, and you get a great show.
  • One of the best, if not the best show of the 2000s. It's unfortunate CBS had to cancel it.

If there's one TV network I watch these days, it's CBS (which is owned by the company that owns TV.com). If there is one show on that network that I consider my favorite, it's "Numb3rs". I got introduced to this show in middle school by a math teacher I had who was a big fan, I was hooked!!!

The show focuses on the Eppes family and two brothers in that family with two seperate professions. Don Eppes (Rob Morrow) is an FBI agent, and the leader of the Los Angeles Violent Crime Squad. Charlie Eppes (David Krumholtz) is a mathematics genius, and a professor at the fictional California Institute of Science (CalSci). By the way, did I mention Charlie also works with his brother on some FBI cases? Believe it or not, this show (in a way) is a lot like CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (I've only seen some parts of some episodes from that show, I've never really got into it), only it's less graphic, and more... more... well, let's just say it focuses more on the FBI's case preparations rather than the grizzliness and violence of the incidents that take place.

I was wondering why the show was (and still is) so great. When I found out that Ridley Scott and his late brother Tony were involved, that definitely answered my question. It's really sad CBS had to cancel this great show. We're still avid watchers of that network though (except for their newscasts), both my parents watch "The Young and the Restless" in the afternoon, while my father is a big "NCIS" fan. I have yet to watch "NCIS", but my favorite CBS offering will always be "Numb3rs".

• Makes math fun again.

Coming into this show, I didn't know what to expect. Maybe I was expecting them to use accounting to trace back to the criminal; but, to use actual formulas and equations to solve a case puts Numb3rs in the group of other non-traditional crime dramas.

The show also gave me a sense of vindication for having taken all those math classes throughout my education. If the teachers had spoke about how math could be used in the real world then more people would be interested in the subject.

So not only is Numb3rs entertaining and gripping; the show is also a great reminder on the importance of math.
  • The first season was wonderful, and the first 2 episodes in Season 2 turned it from a high profile crime solving to just another detective show, but the 3rd episode...

The storylines in season 2 episodes lacked the complexity or the subtlety needed to introduce the use of math in crime solving.

One obvious example is locating the teacher's car in episode 2. FBI, even certain local police departments nowadays can locate that quite easily, and there's no need of a math guru to figure that out or explain the logic and the technology behind it. It's as if the screenwriter ran out of ideas or knowledge of math to build up a more convincing storyline.

There're a lot of simple math that can be applied to deduce human behaviours, and good writing can make them look impressive in the philosophy of math. It doesn't have to be complicated to impress the audiences.

Overall, I really like the most original idea of NUMB3RS, and glad to see improvement in the 3rd episode. Keep up the good work.
  • start producing new episodes

What a pity. that they stopped making episodes. It was / is a very good series. looked forward to watching every week. So look for new scriptwriters and producers make new episodes. I look forward to it.

Ferdibe greetings from Netherlands
  • This show keeps getting better and better with every season. The best by far on TV.

This show is about two brothers who work together to solve crimes. Now at the beginning of the series, the only thing the brothers had in common was their last name. Now, Don and Charlie Eppes have a mutual respect and friendship that did not seem possible when they were little kids. This show is more than just about solving crimes, or even about how two brothers from totally different worlds come together to achieve a common goal. No, NUMB3RS is also about the beauty and unseen potential of math, and how something that most people hated in school, could become something so incredibly amazing as the TV show NUMB3RS!!!!! This show deserves to stay on the air for a very long time because it's perfect in every way possible.
  • This show is one of the most brialliant things in TV history!

This show is really interesting to me because I trully feel like I can relate to Charlie... not the Mathematician part but his points of view. He's a very logical person, sensible, smart, almsot like a kid. He's also really hot! ;). But still this show, yes is kind of like any other crime drama, but has the other elements like romance and personal drama. Charlie and Don have a great love/hate dynamic. Alan is so awesome with him wanting grandchildren. I love the brother's background, where Don and Charlie graduated the same day despite being 5 years apart. I loved how ttheir mother had ot take care of Charlie at Princton. This show is really cutting edge ine crime dramas. Solving mystries with Math: brialliant!
  • Going to miss this show.

Just watched the final episode and will really miss this show. I enjoyed the math, the logic and the philosophical ruminations. I enjoyed the human interactions and I enjoyed the writing, the diversity of characters and the actors who played them. Too bad it's all ended, but I shall look forward to seeing what each of these talented people do in the next steps of their careers.
  • Brilliant show - interesting concept.

This show is fantastic - it shows how mathematics and crime are joined together by one rather cute maths professor. It does not have quite the same level of constant excitement as CSI does, but it is still completely riveting most of the time. Even those of us who loathe maths can't help but be inspired and fascinated by the way this show deals with crime. It's a great example of why crime shows still rock.

I'd recommend this show to anyone. It has more intellectual capabilities than most of its genre and still quite a lot of action. Less gore than other crime shows too.
  • GREAT

Numb3rs is unlike any other crime drama like CSI or NCIS or law and order. This show is a great new idea because it is unique. It uses maths to help solve crime so there is always something to back up the evidence with. It uses a lot of complex Maths equations and skills which i have picked up whilst watching the show for the last 3 1/2 years. It also has a nice mix of action (car chases and plenty of it's shooting scenes) The storylines remain exciting and imformative 85% of the time. The show is exciting and educational (in some ways) so that;s why it's my personal favourite!
  • Who would have thought that Maths can be so interesting? The first time I watched this show I got hooked. I didn't understand anything about mathematics and after 4 seasons I still don't.

The interactions between characters and the chemistry of the actors who play them are spot on. I can't help but feel that Don and Charlie are my brothers and Alan is my father, I feel their hurts and I smile when they do, I feel proud when Charlie comes up with a something to solve a case and Squee when Don gets protective of his little brother. The proof of a great show is the ability to invoke those feelings, you get so emotionally involved with it that you can't help but wish and hope the best. That is Numb3rs.
  • My favorite tv show, one that leaves me feeling smarter not brain-dead.

I'm not a tv watcher, but I have been hooked on this series since the first episode. I've seen many first episodes of "crime shows" but this is the only one that I found truly unique and gripping. The plot is so ingenious, setting it apart from the other shows out there. One where you can feel for the characters as you get to know them, their problems, their joys. The characters have to be my favorite part, because thats what the back bone of Numb3rs is, its people. The drama, crimes, and math are also gripping intrical parts, but the people make this show special. I love sitting down on the couch on a Friday evening and being able to immerse myself in a truly great drama filled with Numb3rs!
  • The combination of FBI action and mathematicians raising your self esteem will make this show an Emmy magnet!

NUMB3RS is about a street-smart FBI agent named Don Eppes and his kid mathematician brother named Charlie Eppes. Don and Charlie are from two totally different worlds. That sometimes can bring a tension over the brothers, but now they are closer now then they ever were as kids. Don is uneasy about a case because he cant get a suspect and many people have suffered for it. Charlie looks at the info and is able to tell don than he can give him a list of possible suspects. In the end after only one mistake Charlie saves the day in the end. So in conclusion, Charlie and Don are the best crime fighter on tv now and will be on the air for years to come:)
  • Great Show brings maths and crime together.

This, as previously stated is a great show. If somewhat far fetched, though, arn't most shows. It makes maths, math for you Americans, interesting, even for those who don't like, or understand maths. Of course its a bonus that Charlies student friend, the girl from the O.C. who has Ryans child, is in it, and she is hot.
    The scripts are well written and then acting is great. SO overall this is a great show.
  • "We use math everyday"

what an awesome show! i mean... before this show came on television.... people like the character charlie would have been seen to be "not cool" or "geeky". but the show has changed viewers opinions on mathematicians! :) its interesting, different from other shows on tele, has some of the most interesting characters ever and the best inter character relationships (don & charlie, boys & dad, don and co-workers) !!

i love the show and how it changes slightly from season to season smoothly with the character changes. now my only wish is for Channel 10 to get it back on television for aussie viewers!!!
  • an fbi agent enlists his genius younger brother to assist with solving crimes. math thoery is used to provide a unique prospective on police investigation.

special agent don eppes heads his team at the LA office of the fbi and enlists his younger brother charlie in solving some of his tougher cases. charlie is an fbi consultant and a math professor at the fictional college, cal sci. also part of don's team are agents colby granger, david sinclair, nikki bettancourt, occasionally liz warner and formerly megan reeves. charlie's collegues at cal sci, larry and amita(charlie's gf) are consultants as well. numb3rs is one of the more original crime dramas on air today. it uses math theory in order to provide a unique perspective on the crimes commited and the perpetrators. the producers make sure that the information provided is actual math theory and can be backed up scientifically. i would normally give the show a 10, however, there are a few things this season that have influenced my rating. charlie has become a "math snob", if it can't be explained by math it doesn't exist or deserve his respect. that is not how an educated person acts. it also insults those of us who do believe in a higher power (w/o god, there is no math, i say) diane farr leaving at end of s4 was also disappoining, although i understand diane wanting to purue other interests. megan reeves was the emotional glue that held the team together. She was their colleague, friend and sister all in one. diane farr's performances really made an impact for me. and her romance w/larry was absolutely adorable. isn't that how it always turns out? the hot chick is attracted to someone totally brilliant, if not the most attractive or confident? my fav character has to be colby granger. when it seemed that he was to be written off the show at the end of s3, i almost stopped watching the show. as s4 was about to start, i thought, no way colby's a double agent, he's gotta be undercover, which he was! the eps where colby's the focus are at the top of my list. colby and his partner david have a great partnership. it survived colby's undercover mission and they are best friends. i would like to see a little more of liz, i really like her character. great chemistry w/the whole team. and i wish lou diamond phillips would join the cast as a recurring character, at least 1/3 of the eps. agent ian edgarton is extremely enjoyable and i love the banter between him and don. his eps are among my favs as well, i make sure to never miss them. even w/a few bumps in the road, numb3rs is well written and acted and i enjoy learning a few new things even though i really don't understand a lot of the math.
  • Making math interesting for the masses

I remember a Friday night in January a few years back. There was a new show on. It dealt with a retired, widowed city planner named Alan Epps, his son Don who worked at the FBI office in LA and his genius younger brother Charlie who was a math professor at a fictional LA university. I saw one episode and I was hooked.

Numb3rs shows how math is blended into everyday life. The show explains how math is used to fight crime.

That is all very interesting. However, without the love of family and devotion to friends and co-workers, this show would fall apart. Numb3rs tried to have a fierce rivalry between Don and Charlie. This never worked out. What did emerge is a story of two brothers who had troubled childhood issues growing up, forge a touching adult relationship based on love and respect. Add to that the modern difficulties of dating and the fabulous Craftman style house that is the Epps homestead and you have a hit.

My favorite part is that CBS has this show on video. I do not have a DVR and I am still allowed to see a show I missed later.
  • First Law episode has allusions to robot novels of Isaac Asimov

The episode title refers to Asimov's First Law of Robotics: A robot must not harm a human being, or through inaction allow a human being to come to harm.

The AI researcher logs on as "Daneel R. Olivaw", the name of a robot in several of Asimov's novels. The AI supercomputer is named Baley, recalling the New York City policeman Elijah Bailey, the human hero of the same novels.

One of the owners of the AI project is named Robertson, which is the name of the CEO of U.S.Robots in other Asimov robot stories.

In the episode, a bill of sale is shown for equipment from Steel Cave Electronics. The title of the first Asimov Robot novel was "The Caves of Steel".
  • The Hollywood division of the FBI finally caves and and uses logic to solve cases. YAY!

I suck at math. Seriously. But I know it and I can use it, because it's one of the most useful, practical tools you can have in your brain's toolkit. It gets used all the time by seriously important, wicked smart people all over the world - it's part of what can make our world a better place - we NEED more people to know it - and Hollywood has nothing. NOTHING! Until this. It's like this huge vital topic and Hollywood just never touched it. Because of this show, I bought a book on one of the famous mathematicians mentioned; just finished it and it was hysterical. This dude was like a rock star or something - he hung out with strippers, smoked and drank, he worked on the bomb at Los Alamos, he won the Nobel Prize. (He complained about the Nobel Prize in the book.) And I never would have bothered reading this book if the show hadn't mentioned this guy, Feynman. Oh, yeah - and the acting and plots and everything are awesome too. I love the female FBI character - she's not panting over the guy with the biggest muscles, she goes for the smart guy. She's not trying too hard like most female characters in Hollywood are - she's confident and professional and smart. An honest to gosh TV role model for women. Never thought it would happen.... As well as being well-made, Ethically, this show rocks.
  • Numb3rs, well the show it self is pretty nice. The characters of the show are well written and the actors are nicely cast.

Numb3rs, well the show it self is pretty nice. The characters of the show are well written and the actors are nicely cast. I myself am not a mathemetician whatsoever. But the fact that they explain the stuff pretty well makes it fun to watch and easier to understand. The brothers Eps are also nicely done, you can easily see the difference between their personallity and how they react to curtain problems. But to make a long story short, if you like to watch decent detectives with a certan twist to it then I would recommend you start watching this. Because the change is very large you'll like it :)
  • Now here's a really different, really good, really special show for guys of all ages... and girls will enjoy it too!

Now here's a really different, really good, really special show for guys of all ages, and girls will enjoy it too!

This show is already well known for introducing the value of higher education to the average american, which is quite an accomplishment, while being entertaining at the same time! This suggests very good writing!

However, in my humble opinion, the real place where this show truly shines is less obvious: It takes a peek into the complexity of the male sentimental life, the soul, the feelings, the depth, the beautiful, the ugly, the reality, the pressure, the brotherly love, the bonding, and everything else that the contemporary male is. It succeeds beautifully in this respect.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9