Numb3rs

Sacrifice

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Apr 29, 2005 on CBS

• Review

The case was okay, but it wasn't one of the better ones of the season. I thought the only thing of real note in this episode was the surprise twist at the end that Hookes assistant was involved in the whole thing. Episodes like this tends to be a little less interesting, as there is no infultration or action scenes... anything of that sort. Charlie just figures out some formulas and then they arrest the bad guy at the end without any big dramatic action-adventure scene. The episode was slow paced, but it was still good from the math angle of the show.
  • A murder causes Charlie to rethink the consequences of his own consulting work.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt did an excellent job this episode in playing a sort of "Charlie-gone-wrong" type of character. Scott was who Charlie might have been had he not had the support he has and had he been put in trying circumstances without that support system.

Of course, the dead guy Hoke also serves as a "Charlie-gone-wrong" example. He is what Charlie might become if he only thought of the numbers and not of the real-life situations and exceptions. Once again Charlie is saved from this fate by his support system. Larry and Don will never let him forget the real-life factors.

So Charlie is left thinking about how much harm his work for the NSA has caused. A valid concern, if simply so that in the future he knows to ask. The episode does a great job of showing Charlie that not everything is black and white.
  • A fine example of how I like this series. It's inspired, believable and just well written.

A software engineer is stabbed. Charlie is able to retrieve the work on the engineers harddisk, although it has been carefully wiped out.

The whole episode revolves about scientists ethics. The punchlines are well and the characterdevelopement believable. Although I would have placed the job of restoring information from a wiped out harddrive more in the hands of a computer scientist, the role of mathematics is still plausible here. It's a pleasure to watch.

Just the only tiny flaw, that killed the perfection for me: when David and Don return to the apartement to look for a trace of surveillance equipement, I just could'nt understand, why this trace would'nt have been found much much earlier. When there's a piece of cable sticking out somewhere in a victims' apartement, I don't think proper policework will not find it...