Numb3rs

Structural Corruption

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 11, 2005 on CBS

• If you're looking to see why "Numb3rs" breaks the crime show mold, look no further.

"Structural Corruption" shows a perfect example of why "Numb3rs" is in a whole other class compared to other prime-time crime series. We've got strong characterization, a mystery that is more complex than it first appears, and the family dynamic among the Eppes men.

A suspicious suicide sets Charlie's investigative mind working, and for a change he goes to Don for help in trying to find out why (and if) a student took his own life. I was surprised to see where the story went (the rebar construction, etc.) and found it to be a refreshing change of pace from most murder/rape of the week shows. The ending was particularly powerful, as the truth about the death comes out. David Krumholtz can toss the math jargon off with aplomb, but he especially shines in scenes when the clinical, detatched Charlie gets bowled over with an emotional truth.

Plus, the fantastic (and usually sorely underused) Judd Hirsch gets a chance to shine as he prepares for a date (and tries to weedle Don and Terry into one as well). Sabrina Lloyd and Rob Morrow had such great chemistry - I would have loved to see their relationship grow and develop over the course of the series. It's too bad she left the show just as it was starting to get going.
  • Review

I thought this episode was a lot better then the first three just becuase it did a much better job dividing the time between the case and the characters personal lives outside of the FBI.

Finding out that FBI partners Don and Teri had once had a fling and that Don still consideres his best time to be spent with her was interesting to know. Watching the two interact about the past in the car was both a comical and much needed scene to understand the twos connection when it comes to working with one another.

I liked Charlies role in this episode, needing to find a reason beyond Montgomerys death. Even though he was wrong about the suicide not being a suicide, he did wind up taking down a bigger case in the process.
  • Unorthodox, but I like it.

This is the first episode I've seen of Numb3rs. I have to say it shows promise. Certainly an unusual premise but it works.

The storyline was interesting and the personal side was nice, without going overboard. This is the first time I've seen Rob Morrow since Northern Exposure and I must say I like him here. His character is the balance to his brother's eccentricity. I liked the way Don doesn't just blindly believe Charlie's theory, instead he works to prove or disprove it, without wasting FBI resources on a hunch.

I've seen better but this was very solid. Good enough that I will make a point of watching it next week.