Numb3rs

Thirteen

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 19, 2007 on CBS

• Charlie and Don double-dating; a glimpse into Megan's work for the DOJ and Colby's official return to the team.

Nice episode, especially since it gave us a little insight into Megan's work for the DOJ. After her return (from the DOJ assignment) there was little mention of the kind of work she did there, except for bits and pieces, giving us the idea that something "dark" had happened during that period. In the scene where she looks at the crime scene photos we hear some flashback "conversations" giving the clear idea that she had to interrogate prisoners, and that it probably wasn't the kind of interrogation techniques she liked to use. I wonder if the writers are going to make something more of that? Hope so!
    Don and Charlie double-dating - NICE. It shows that their relationship is clearly getting stronger, and that their previous problems may be something totally in the past. David and Colby's relationship also saw an improvement. There was clear concern on David's face when Colby took the dive onto the truck, and off onto the street; especially when he helped him up. Good to see David is working to get past his problems with Colby's undercover stint. And Alan being a student again! GREAT! I loved the scene with him and Charlie, where Charlie sympathised for Alan missing out on the "helping with the homework" part. All in all, a very nice episode. Hope to see more like these!
  • Charlie experiences his own crisis of faith as the team tracks a Biblically-minded killer.

Though it is a darker outing than most "Numb3rs" episodes, "Thirteen" balances the gruesome crime scenes with some nice character development and good Eppes family moments.

It's nice to see the normally unflappable Charlie come face-to-face with something he doesn't respect/understand, and it hurts him even more when it turns out to be something useful. Case in point, numerology and his unusual hostility towards Alex Trowbridge. I like this aspect of Charlie - just when we start to think that he's normal, we see that he's pretty petulant. The IQ has an ego to match.

Some hints are dropped about what Megan was up to at DOJ, and Colby seems to be back in the fold. Meh. I'd rather see more Judd Hirsch and Rob Morrow. Peter MacNicol is back with some cosmic musings, which are always welcome. When this show sticks to its core, it still cranks out some good entertainment.

A taut, exciting hour...and a nice ending with the double date. More like this episode, please!
  • Not what Numb3rs fans want; good plot points are marred by a gratuitously disturbing case.

5.6
    The rumors are true: Every show makes a mistake sooner or later. I just hope that Numb3rs, my second favorite show on television, learns from it.

Fans need to seriously take note of the TV-14-V. Yes, this show focuses on the FBI, viewers need to expect violence. However, after three seasons of being tasteful (with brief sojourns into darker territory with little footage to accompany) the Scotts have managed an episode that would make the creators of Heroes cringe.

A second disappointment to this show's die-hards is that multiple graphic scenes of dead bodies ends up replacing Charlie's "math vision" moments that have made the show so great. A few math magic tricks surface, but it's hard to enjoy in the shadow of the case.

It does not deserve a "bottom of the barrel" classification, however, because there is certainly some good plot movement: A glimpse at Megan's time at the DOJ, Colby's official return to the FBI, Charlie's book's first publication, and some traditional Eppes fun near the end.

Numb3rs has produced violent cases before, but never so graphic. I hope the temptation to stray into the macabre does not become a habit. There's pleanty of shows like that right now, that's not what makes Numb3rs great.

The next episode sounds hopeful; I'm looking forward to getting back to the show I love so much!
ION