Numb3rs

Thirteen

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 19, 2007 on CBS

• Not what Numb3rs fans want; good plot points are marred by a gratuitously disturbing case.

5.6
    The rumors are true: Every show makes a mistake sooner or later. I just hope that Numb3rs, my second favorite show on television, learns from it.

Fans need to seriously take note of the TV-14-V. Yes, this show focuses on the FBI, viewers need to expect violence. However, after three seasons of being tasteful (with brief sojourns into darker territory with little footage to accompany) the Scotts have managed an episode that would make the creators of Heroes cringe.

A second disappointment to this show's die-hards is that multiple graphic scenes of dead bodies ends up replacing Charlie's "math vision" moments that have made the show so great. A few math magic tricks surface, but it's hard to enjoy in the shadow of the case.

It does not deserve a "bottom of the barrel" classification, however, because there is certainly some good plot movement: A glimpse at Megan's time at the DOJ, Colby's official return to the FBI, Charlie's book's first publication, and some traditional Eppes fun near the end.

Numb3rs has produced violent cases before, but never so graphic. I hope the temptation to stray into the macabre does not become a habit. There's pleanty of shows like that right now, that's not what makes Numb3rs great.

The next episode sounds hopeful; I'm looking forward to getting back to the show I love so much!
ION