Numb3rs

Thirteen

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 19, 2007 on CBS

• Charlie experiences his own crisis of faith as the team tracks a Biblically-minded killer.

Though it is a darker outing than most "Numb3rs" episodes, "Thirteen" balances the gruesome crime scenes with some nice character development and good Eppes family moments.

It's nice to see the normally unflappable Charlie come face-to-face with something he doesn't respect/understand, and it hurts him even more when it turns out to be something useful. Case in point, numerology and his unusual hostility towards Alex Trowbridge. I like this aspect of Charlie - just when we start to think that he's normal, we see that he's pretty petulant. The IQ has an ego to match.

Some hints are dropped about what Megan was up to at DOJ, and Colby seems to be back in the fold. Meh. I'd rather see more Judd Hirsch and Rob Morrow. Peter MacNicol is back with some cosmic musings, which are always welcome. When this show sticks to its core, it still cranks out some good entertainment.

A taut, exciting hour...and a nice ending with the double date. More like this episode, please!