Numb3rs

Ultimatum

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Nov 13, 2009 on CBS

• Lou Diamond Phillips is back in action for another great Numb3rs episode

I have to admit – I was spoiled fort this episode and I knew LDP will be back as Ian Edgerton, but it was still such a pleasure to see him again. Of course there was no doubt that everybody will walk out alive, but it was still interesting to see how the story progressed. The 'twist' in the end wasn't exactly a twist, because it was obvious from the beginning that the female agent was the "bad guy", but the actress was good enough to make her character dislikable. I particularly enjoyed having my two favourite characters (Colby and Ian) together. LDP is a really good actor and he portrayed Ian's emotions perfectly. It has to really s**k being the hero one moment and the next becoming the bad guy, and LDP sold this part completely. I wish we could see him more often. Colby's story about his father was a good one too. I love this kind of character background. And when Colby said "than stand at your funeral, Ian" I just felt like crying =).

The ending of the episode was brilliant. We had the 'romance' part b/w Nikki and Ian (though I'm not exactly a fan of this story, but it was funny), the 'friendship' b/w Colby and David and of course the family- Charlie and Don. I love it how this season is a lot more about the brothers' relationship than it was the last couple of seasons. After all, that's how the show started-with family and friendship.
  • When FBI Agent Edgerton is framed for murder, he decides he'd rather not wait for a trial, OR get out of prison. Instead he takes Colby hostage and demands to speak to Charlie Epps. If Edgerton doesn't get what he wants, someone could die...

I don't really need 100 words. But I'll see what I can do.

First off: Am I the only one who saw the 'twist' coming from a mile away? This is what keeps good shows from becoming GREAT shows. I think we all knew that SOMEONE in the prison wasn't telling the truth, and we all knew WHO that someone was. They practically give it away in the first ten minutes of the episode. So now I sit for another 30 minutes waiting for what I know is going to happen. To think I was worried that Ian or another key character other then Charlie or Don would die in this episode. But that was before I hit 'play' on the episode window. Fire the writers and get new ones. Writers that actually know the meaning of terms like "plot twist" or "climax". And it also helps to know a little more about the background of a story. I had trouble understanding the whole backstory involving the crime syndicate. To sum it up:
    An attempt to create one of their most pulse-pounding episodes in the series that goes...bad.

I'll leave you guys with this: Please make the plotlines less predictable. You've got a bad (as in good) Mathmetician and a bad Federal Agent who are both awesome at catching bad guys, who happen to be brothers. You have a girlfriend-turned-fiance who is also awesome at catching bad guys. You have interesting characters. And you've still got Ian Edgerton. So what's keeping the show from being better? Step it up and surprise us.

- R.
  • Special Agent Ian Edgerton returns but this time he is the hunted, not the hunter. Arrested for the murder of an informant, Edgerton breks free from his captors and takes a hostage: Colby Granger. Edgerton demands to speak to Charlie.

It's always good to see Lou Diamond Phillips back on the show. He always does and excellent job as Ian Edgerton. However, as I watched this episode I kept asking myself if I was watching "Numb3rs" or the 1998 movie "The Negotiator" starring Samuel L. Jackson and Oscar winner Kevin Spacey. This episode is for all intents and purposes a scene for scene ripoff of that movie. The plots are almost 100% identical. Another flaw is it was painfully obvious from the beginning that Edgerton was innocent and who the villains were. Christopher McDonald's character is a joke. Misfired episode.