A Nurse Jackie Community
Showtime (ended 2015)

Awards season is on the horizon, which means there will soon be a lot of pretty people asking us to love them and praise them for all the joy they've brought to our lives over the last year simply by appearing on the shows we love. The Screen Actors Guild kicked things off bright and early this morning with nominations for the 20th Annual SAG Awards, which will be simulcast on TNT and TBS on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 8pm.

Breaking Bad leads the nominees with four nods, including Best Actor for Bryan Cranston and Best Actress for Anna Gunn (who took home the Emmy for Best Actress in a Drama earlier this fall). HomelandGame of Thrones, The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, and Veep also earned multiple nominations. 

And in case you're struggling to keep all of these different awards shows separate, the SAG Awards are the ones that mean the most because they're voted on by other actors. 

Here are your nominees in the major TV categories; for the full list, head on over to SAG's website

DRAMA SERIES

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor 

Steve Buscemi Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

Bryan Cranston – Breaking Bad (AMC)

Jeff Daniels – The Newsroom (HBO)

Peter Dinklage – Game of Thrones (HBO)

Kevin Spacey House of Cards (Netflix)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor

Claire Danes – Homeland (Showtime)

Anna Gunn – Breaking Bad (AMC)

Jessica Lange – American Horror Story: Coven (FX)

Maggie Smith – Downton Abbey (PBS)

Kerry Washington – Scandal (ABC)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble 

Boardwalk Empire (HBO) 

Breaking Bad (AMC) 

Downton Abbey (PBS)

Game of Thrones (HBO)

Homeland (Showtime)

COMEDY SERIES

Alec Baldwin – 30 Rock (NBC)

Jason Bateman – Arrested Development (Netflix)

Ty Burrell – Modern Family (ABC)

Don Cheadle – House of Lies (Showtime)

Jim Parsons The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

Mayim Bialik The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

Julie Bowen Modern Family (ABC)

Edie Falco – Nurse Jackie (Showtime)

Tina Fey 30 Rock (NBC)

Julia Louis-Dreyfus – Veep (HBO)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble

30 Rock (NBC)

Arrested Development (Netflix) 

The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

Modern Family (ABC)

Veep (HBO)

TV MOVIE/MINISERIES

Matt Damon –  Behind the Candelabra (HBO)

Michael Douglas – Behind the Candelabra (HBO)

Jeremy Irons – The Hollow Crown (WNET/Thirteen)

Rob Lowe – Killing Kennedy (National Geographic Channel)

Al Pacino – Phil Spector (HBO)

Angela Bassett – Betty & Coretta (Lifetime)

Helena Bonham Carter – Burton and Taylor (BBC America)

Holly Hunter – Top of the Lake (Sundance Channel)

Helen Mirren – Phil Spector (HBO)

Elisabeth Moss – Top of the Lake (Sundance Channel)

STUNTS

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series

Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

Breaking Bad (AMC)

Game of Thrones (HBO)

Homeland (Showtime)

The Walking Dead (AMC)

Again, for a full list of the nominees—including those from the film categories—check out SAG's website. And then be sure to come back tomorrow to find out who's nominated for a Golden Globe (see, I told you this could get confusing).

Who do you want to see take home a shiny new trophy come January?

52 Comments
Comments (52)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm a bit late to posting, but Tatiana Maslany was left out of two categories, she should have been nominated for the drama series actress category, but also arguably she could have been nominated for the "Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series" by herself :-) (though other actors in the show are good as well).
Flag
There should be an award category for really great names.Half way down the cast list for Masters of Sex is an actress listed as "Joan Severance", what a great name!
Flag
WTF Nothing for Parks and Recreation?
How is Homeland an ensemble? When I think ensemble I think Game of Thrones or Sons of Anarchy. Homeland has no more an ensemble cast than Justified.
Flag
Give every award to breaking bad. Even the categories its not in. Best show of all time and deserves it all.
Flag
Where's Justified and The Americans? Also, poor Tatiana Maslany... :(
Flag
Disappointed to see nothing for Justified or The Americans. In fact, if not for Jessica Lange, FX would have been shut out completely, which is also disappointing.
Flag
The Americans get no love? :(
Flag
Homeland? Really? That's like the BBT of the drama side.
Flag
This is a rubbish list.
Flag
Even though The Walking Dead is my favorite show, i'm not blind to it's flaws. But it is beyond me how Scott Wilson, did not get a nomination for Hershel's "what we risk our life for" speech. Travesty!
Flag
bullshit.
Flag
If this awards are really voted by fellow actors than we cannot blame a small group of critics anymore. It is the actors/actress themselves that overlooked Tatiana and overhyped by modern family !
Flag
I see that the SAGs are just about as horrible and biased as the Emmys.. They used to be a good award program too.. Modern Family being plastered on here, to name one flaw.. And no Tatiana Maslany is grounds alone for not being a worthwhile or respectable awards show.
Flag
And again, I'm glad I don't have to decide that....
Flag
From this list, the winners should be:
Cranston
Lange
Breaking Bad
Bateman
Louis-Dreyfus
Veep
Douglas
Moss
Game of Thrones
Flag
Modern Family getting awards acclaim is really becoming boring now. It's nowhere near as good as many of the other comedies on TV, who are robbed of awards time and time again. Tatiana Maslany being overlooked is a big error from SAG, as well as not nominating Orange Is The New Black for best ensemble
Flag
Unlike @FringeFanatic, I still have a lot of disparaging things to say about The Big Bang Theory. Right now I'm just too tired to go on another rant about that show. Nominated again? And three times? I'm just going to lie down in a corner, curl up in a ball and cry.
Flag
I agree. The show itself doesn't deserve to be nominated for best comedy. The laugh track alone should disqualify it for any award. But I've gotta admit, Jim Parsons makes me laugh.
Flag
You know what is so funny, despite all the fellow actor acclaim, no Tatiana Maslany..
Flag
This is way better than the Emmys.
Flag
You know what, I'm going to take back some disparaging things I've written about The Big Bang Theory. After having burned through 7 seasons in a few months, I'll admit Jim Parsons deserves all the accolades he's received. Sheldon Cooper couldn't be played by just anybody, and Parsons does a pretty damn good job portraying a neurotic genius with autistic tendencies (as does Danny Pudi, but Community never gets recognition). It was unfair of me to lump in TBBT with Modern Family. THAT show I still can't stand. I mean, how many freaking times can you reinforce the same moral messages?!

Anyway, I'm off to watch some POI that has burning a hole in my computer hard drive. I hope there's no unexpected main character deaths in the next few episodes. :)
Flag
lol nice
Flag
Hey! It's you! It's really you!
Flag
TELEVISION
DRAMA
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor: Peter Dinklage (HBO)
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor: Anna Gunn – Breaking Bad (AMC)
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble: Breaking Bad (AMC)

COMEDY
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor: Jim Parsons – The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor: Mayim Bialik – The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

TV MOVIE/MINISERIES
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor: Matt Damon – Behind the Candelabra (HBO)

STUNTS
Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series: Game of Thrones (HBO)

THEATRICAL MOTION PICTURES
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role: Chiwetel Ejiofor - Twelve Years A Slave
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Sandra Bullock - Gravity
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Michael Fassbender - Twelve Years A Slave
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: 12 Years A Slave

*Skipped over some categories since I have yet to see the show/movie
Flag
I liked both, Holly Hunter and Elisabeth Moss in "Top of the Lake" a lot. Who to choose?
Flag
Finally someone recognizing the amazing 4th season of AD, IMHO! Not that I give a damn about any awards nowadays...
Flag
Nada for Orange Is The New Black? Hmmm
Flag
I understand why most of these have been nominated. (so often the usuasl suspects) and of course, lots of us will be offended because our favourite series or actor/actress has not been nominated. I would have loved to see Tatiana Maslany in the list.
Flag
'the SAG Awards are the ones that mean the most because they're voted on by other actors'

Mean the most to whom? The actors, saying they care more for their colleagues opinion then the audience (I do hope not) or the audience, meaning that they don't care about their own judgement (also not likely) or someone else I didn't realise was important?

Or did I miss the irony again Kaitlin (in that case I can blame it on not being a native English speaker)?
Flag
That is the SAG awards tagline. THEY say it. Kaitlin did not. Although maybe she believes it, I won't put words in her mouth!
Flag
Ah, I see, I can blame the fact that I'm not American for not knowing that. Never seen any SAG announcement over here in the Netherlands

We have a very famous ad(series) over here that always states: We from 'wc-eend' advice to use 'wc-eend'. It's off course ironical but it's always been a huge success and used by many Dutch people in many situations. Btw, 'wc-eend' is a product for cleaning toilets :-)
Flag
Ahhh very nice! Yes, I don't really watch many of the awards shows, but that one always sticks with me.

I have a friend whose husband is from the Netherlands. His family is still there! They are headed there for Christmas! Sort of small world!
Flag
I have friends who became US citizens and there are lots of Dutch people over there. I came over to your country twice a year for over ten years, but regrettably not anymore. We are a small country, but The Netherlands is the 3rd biggest investor in the US and we are the 9th biggest exporting country for you. Lots of connections between our two countries (beside history).
Flag
Of all of the programs that have been nominated I only watch one regularly Game of Thrones.

Flag
I think Arrow should have been nominated for Stunt Ensemble in a comedy or drama. It puts out some amazing stunts with a smaller budget than probably any of the other shows. Besides it is a lot harder to choreograph fight scenes than to blow up cars.
Flag
This seems like a good time to say BANSHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

(If you haven't seen it, their fight scenes are much better than the ones on Arrow).
Flag
Poor The Middle. Asshats.

Poor Damian Lewis. Seriously, left out while Danes is in? Did they SEE Danes WITHOUT Lewis? Asshats.

Who do you want to see take home the awards come January?

Whom do I want to see? I don't give a flying ****. Any organization that would include Alec I married my daughter Baldwin and even go near the stink that was Behind the Candelabra and the bigger stink that is Douglas are............well, asshats.

Funny, I thought the SAG had more taste.

La. Di. Da. And so it goes.
Flag
Jessica Lange is nominated for "American Horror Story: Coven". That's the name of the current season, so the Homeland nominations should be for the current season as well. This should answer your question about whether they saw Danes without Lewis.
Flag
What? So the SAG nominations took into account Danes' amazing performances, given the crap writing that spews out of his mouth (I always think of Cartman when he poops out of his mouth when I hear dialogue of the quality that Homeland is vomiting up), or not?
Flag
It's certainly not her fault that this season is worse than the previous ones. And it's nowhere near as bad as you say.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members