Hearts and Souls

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Nov 24, 1998 on ABC

• Hearts and Souls occured during season 6. The best TV episode ever on television. However you can't see it on DVD as only seasons 1-4 are available

NYPD Blue is awesome. Ironically the show got better as the seasons
    went on but only the first 4 seasons are on DVD. One of the best story
    lines which aired on TV in 1997-1998 was the relationship between Diane
    Russel "Kim Delaney" and Bobby Simone "Jimmy Smitts". This relationship
    got hot in seasons 5 and 6. I have not seen these episodes since 1998
    but was so moved that I will never forget the intensity of those
    episodes. If it ever comes out on DVD, I highly recommend watching
    seasons 5 and 6. I think that you will find the love affair between
    Diane and Bobby to be one of the best ever on television. It is similar
    to that of Rachel and Ross on "Friends" minus the comedy. Jimmy Smitts won the 1995 Golden Globe award for his portrayal of Bobby Simone. Kim Delaney won the Primetime Emmy Award in 1997 for her portrayal of Diane. In 1998, both Jimmy Smitts and Kim Delaney were nominated for the golden globe award. Despite this I am still waiting for seasons 5 and 6 to come out on DVD.
  • This was one of the most powerful episodes of TV that I ever watched.

NYPD Blue was one of the best shows on TV at the time, and this episode will get to you if you know all of the characters intimately or not at all, it is unbelieveably moving and powerful. This episode is of one of the finest examples of the television medium to reach out to viewers and make them feel as much a part of the show as the actors themselves.
  • Bobby is scheduled to come home from the hospital after a heart transplant. But complications lead to him spending the last day of his life in the hospital hovering between life and death awaiting final farewells from his family at the 15th precinct.

NYPD Blue has had many gut wrenching episodes in it\'s 12 year run but none as powerful as Hearts and Souls. Watching Andy fall to pieces while working on clearing a DUI off his ex-wife\'s record and awaiting the news that his best friend is near the end breaks the heart. Then you have Diane who is doing all she can to be strong for Bobby but who herself is falling apart. Watching the character of Bobby Simone slowly slip away had me sniffing and weepy the whole 90 minutes. I loved seeing Bobby talk to his old friend Patsy in his time lingering between life and death. Bobby meeting his son who was never born a very touching moment for sure. Then having the whole squad there saying their good-byes while Patsy reviews Bobby\'s life really brought the police side of Bobby\'s life full circle. With Andy promising to take good care of Diane for him it was the perfect ending for this partnership that I wished never had to end.

The acting was stellar as is the norm for this phenomenal show. But the performances by Jimmy Smits, Kim Delany and Dennis Franz were just out of this world spot on perfect. An episode can\'t be any more well written or acted than this one was! The very fact that Jimmy didn\'t win the best actor Emmy for this performance is a true crime.