Oban Star-Racers

Toon Disney (ended 2006)

RaijinPaladinix

Oban Star-Racers Fan Reviews (19)

• It boils down to this- you NEED to watch Oban Star-Racers.

...I totally didn't steal that from a Gamespot review for MGS2. Honest. >_>;

Now, let's take a lookie at Oban Star-Racers. At first glance, I didn't like the look of it. Commercials these days don't do very good jobs, do they? To me, I saw spaceships. 'Kay. Then I saw racing spaceships. 'Kay? Aaand then I heard Jetix UK's version of the plot summary. Not 'kay. They did a bad job of it. So I did what I do with every uninteresting show I hear about- ignore it. xD;;

That was back in October '06. At the time of writing it's April '07. My friend Cheese had seen OSR on the TV schedule and asked me 'have you seen that before?', as it looked like anime and she thought I knew about it. I shrugged and said 'I don't know that much about it, from what I know it sucks'. The next day she came running to me saying things like 'Oban is so AWESOME!' and 'You've gotta watch it!'. Now, Cheese is easily amused, so I had my doubts at first. I saw it on the other night and thought I'd give it a go. It was The Origin of the World I think, episode 19. I spent most of my time oohing at the pretty graphics, 'cause they are. I had absolutely no clue as to what the story was about, except that Cheese said Don Wei was Molly's dad and she saw the episode where they finally talk about it, but I still enjoyed it. I couldn't wait to see the next one, and I did. And the next. And the- well, the next one airs tonight. Unfortunately in the span of three days I've watched the entire series. xD;; And I don't regret it one bit. What was I thinking, saying this show looked stupid? It's frigging brilliant! Expect nothing less from Japan, creator of hundreds of great anime shows and France, creator of one of my favourite shows Code Lyoko!

The plot focuses on a 15-year-old girl named Eva who is living in a boarding school in... er, somewhere. Apparently, her dad is the manager of a famous racing team for star-racers. Star-racers are basically spaceships that... uh, race. (I'm not good at this reviewing stuff... TT_TT) He hasn't spoken to Eva since she first came to the school, only 4 at the time. Eva eventually runs off and finds him again and becomes his mechanic under the name Molly, as Don Wei didn't recognise her. Eventually the President- ooh, the president!- wants Don Wei to enter the great race of Oban, an intergalactic race in the middle of the Milky Way. He goes there with champion star-racer Rick Thunderbolt, two ace mechanics Stan and Koji and the best gunner (Star-racers have a little pod with guns at the side. Guess what the gunners do with those.) he could find, Jordan. On the way to the vessel that took them to the first planet the races take place on, surprisingly NOT Oban, Eva/Molly sneaks on board. Don Wei can't just kick her back to Earth, so she stays with them on... whatever the planet was called. I forget. Eventually she becomes the pilot (not really a spoiler, it's pretty obvious) and they race and stuff. Not bad at all for a plotline.

The art and music are really well done in OSR. Sav! The World Productions weren't kidding when they said they wanted to pay extra attention to detail. And the opening/ending songs are beautiful... oh, wait, hold on. From what I can gather, America, Japan and Europe all got different opening sequences. Um. Right. Dang, that just made things harder. Well, Japan got a Japanese song for their opening, America got an English song completely unrelated to Japan's, France got one similar to Japan's and what seems like the north of Europe got the Japanese opening song remixed. Which sounds absolutely amazing- my favourite out of them all. To think the UK was lucky enough to get it- it usually gets the brunt of everything these days. I say northern Europe because it seems Norway and Poland get it too.

The characters are nicely done as well, as do the star-racers. You can't go wrong with a cast that ranges from a human teenage girl to a pink squid/alien with tentacles. None of the characters have noses, but you get used to that. If you've been watching a long range of anime and shows like Code Lyoko, you get used to things like that. (Big... foreheads... 0_0) I really like Eva's design- the star on one cheek and the stripe on the other look really cute, as do the goggles and her clothes in general. Can't say the same about her chestular area, but I won't go into that. xD *cough* I like her mom better though, and you might see why when you see her when I describe Eva so positively. Don Wei just needs a hug, I think. And an aspirin. Gotta love the guy, you can understand him better when you watcher later episodes. Jordan just freaking pwns, period. I dunno why, I just like him. xP He has some pretty funny lines, and the ending... well, the ending. The star-racers are nice to look at, as you find different ones from everyone in the series. Same goes for the environments. Wonderful to look at. Haven't seen a better mix of 3-D and 2-D since Code Lyoko.

I'm getting closer to 1000 words, so I better stop. x_X Oban Star-Racers is a prime example of what animation and clever planning can do. There's never a dull moment with this series, and you have my word on that one. It's a short series with only 26 episodes, but every one is worth it. Just wait 'til you see the ending. Boy, will you be surprised. I even cried because it was so beautiful and... unexpected. People cry at unexpected things too, y'know.
    Lovers of anime and Code Lyoko, you MUST try Oban Star-Racers. Don't make the same mistake I did and push it to one side if you don't like the sound of it.

... dang, 1028 words. Better stop now. Nyaha. x3 -walks away singing A Chance to Shine, the Japanese theme-