October Road Forums

ABC (ended 2008)

Season 2 DVD on the way!

TvFreak7

[1]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 26

Continuing its aggressive quest for content, Lionsgate has entered into an agreement with Disney-ABC Domestic Television to distribute to the home entertainment market a selection of prime-time series and library titles.

Season one sets of the sitcom "According to Jim" and the supernatural dramedy "Reaper" are first on the release agenda, coming to DVD on Oct. 21 and Nov. 4, respectively.

The deal is the third TV DVD distribution agreement Lionsgate has cut in the past month, coming on the heels of a first-look partnership with Comcast Entertainment Group that gives Lionsgate distribution rights to programs on E! Entertainment Television, The ****Network and G4. More recently Lionsgate acquired the home entertainment rights to Marvel Entertainment's animated series "Wolvering & The X-Men."

In addition to "According to Jim" and "Reaper," the Disney-ABC Domestic Television deal also includes popular sitcoms and dramas "Hope & Faith," "8 Simple Rules ... for Dating My Teenage Daughter," "Boy Meets World," "October Road," "Kevin Hill," "My Wife & Kids" and "Six Degrees," among others.

"As evidenced by our recent activity, we continue to look for key brands to expand and grow our TV DVD business," Schwartz said.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?article_id=13270

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

oramp

[2]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 7

I wonder how soon it is coming out, because they are putting the wrap-up on the dvd and they haven't even begun to film it yet. But this is good news, I guess we always knew that they were going to release it. At least I thought they would.

I just wish they would change their minds and "un-cancel" Occtober Road. They could still bring it back as a midseason replacement!

TvFreak7

[3]Aug 5, 2008

Another Link Below about the news.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Boy-Meets-World-Rights-Acquired/10252

oramp

[4]Aug 5, 2008

This set isn't a season 2 set according to that tvshowsondvd.com aritcle, it says 2 seasons, 19 episodes. So it is the complete series on dvd, not just the second season. That is pretty cool I guess. I wish they had a date for the release though. I really hope if they aren't going to change their minds and bring back October Road they put the wrap-up on the dvd so that we can have everything together in one set.

Thanks for the post!

TvFreak7

[5]Aug 5, 2008
    oramp wrote:

This set isn't a season 2 set according to that tvshowsondvd.com aritcle, it says 2 seasons, 19 episodes. So it is the complete series on dvd, not just the second season. That is pretty cool I guess. I wish they had a date for the release though. I really hope if they aren't going to change their minds and bring back October Road they put the wrap-up on the dvd so that we can have everything together in one set.

Thanks for the post!

No. Thats not what they are saying. This is just saying that Lionsgate now owns the DVD Rights to these shows. There is no official release date, but they will be released. Trust me they would not re-release season 1. And they would not make a my wife and kids set of all five seasons only!

TRUST ME THERE WILL BE A SEASON 2 DVD SET. Now there is a chance a complete series set could come also, but probably not.

oramp

[6]Aug 5, 2008

Okay, thanks I must have read that wrong. I really don't care if it is a complete series or just season 2, as long as all the season 2 episodes are on there along with the wrap-up, if they don't reconsider and bring it back.

Thanks again!

TvFreak7

[7]Aug 5, 2008
    oramp wrote:

Okay, thanks I must have read that wrong. I really don't care if it is a complete series or just season 2, as long as all the season 2 episodes are on there along with the wrap-up, if they don't reconsider and bring it back.

Thanks again!

It's ok.

Will_of_the_D

[8]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 14
    oramp wrote:

Thanks for the post!

I was hoping for this. It's cheaper and it's the reason why I held off buying Season 1. I hope it happens cause it actually makes VERY little sense to put Season 2 out on DVD. It makes much more sense to put all 19 episodes in one package. Thats still smaller than most full season sets. So putting them together is smarter. It saves on money and it saves on space. Win-win.
    Edited on 08/12/2008 5:13am

TvFreak7

[9]Aug 13, 2008
    Will_of_the_D wrote:
    oramp wrote:

Thanks for the post!

I was hoping for this. It's cheaper and it's the reason why I held off buying Season 1. I hope it happens cause it actually makes VERY little sense to put Season 2 out on DVD. It makes much more sense to put all 19 episodes in one package. Thats still smaller than most full season sets. So putting them together is smarter. It saves on money and it saves on space. Win-win.

Yeah, but if they were to release a complete series set. They would probably release a season 2 dvd too, because people who own season 1 wont buy the complete series.

Will_of_the_D

[10]Aug 22, 2008
    TvFreak7 wrote:
    Will_of_the_D wrote:
    oramp wrote:

Thanks for the post!

Yeah, but if they were to release a complete series set. They would probably release a season 2 dvd too, because people who own season 1 wont buy the complete series.

Well, they would if it was the only way to get Season 2. They could give Season 1 away as a gift. I just think it'd be more sensable to put the entire series in 1 package right away seeing as it's only 19 episodes.

TvFreak7

[11]Aug 29, 2008
    Will_of_the_D wrote:
    TvFreak7 wrote:
    Will_of_the_D wrote:
    oramp wrote:

Thanks for the post!

Well, they would if it was the only way to get Season 2. They could give Season 1 away as a gift. I just think it'd be more sensable to put the entire series in 1 package right away seeing as it's only 19 episodes.

Yeah but what im saying is that people who own season one on dvd they probably wouldnt buy the complete series dvd just for season 2.

Will_of_the_D

[12]Sep 1, 2008
    TvFreak7 wrote:
    Will_of_the_D wrote:
    TvFreak7 wrote:
    Will_of_the_D wrote:
    oramp wrote:

Thanks for the post!

Yeah but what im saying is that people who own season one on dvd they probably wouldnt buy the complete series dvd just for season 2.

They would if it was the only way to get Season 2. Season 1 is just 6 episodes, so combined that with the 13 from Season 2, and you still don't have 1 complete season. The price of the entire series could still be lower than the prices of most individual Season sets. It's a waste of money to put them out separately. Just put them together. It's more economical for them, and for fans who don't have Season 1. Fans who do have Season 1 can just buy the complete series for Season 2, and get the season 1 episodes again as a bonus. It's just a more economical way to release it considering how small OR was.

TvFreak7

[13]Oct 3, 2008
    Will_of_the_D wrote:
    TvFreak7 wrote:
    Will_of_the_D wrote:
    TvFreak7 wrote:
    Will_of_the_D wrote:
    oramp wrote:

Thanks for the post!

They would if it was the only way to get Season 2. Season 1 is just 6 episodes, so combined that with the 13 from Season 2, and you still don't have 1 complete season. The price of the entire series could still be lower than the prices of most individual Season sets. It's a waste of money to put them out separately. Just put them together. It's more economical for them, and for fans who don't have Season 1. Fans who do have Season 1 can just buy the complete series for Season 2, and get the season 1 episodes again as a bonus. It's just a more economical way to release it considering how small OR was.

I found this link a while back and i forgot to post it on this forum.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/2008/08/usa-network-fall-2008-schedule.html

It states that Lionsgate will start off with these series where ABC left off.

Edited on 10/03/2008 4:55pm

azsunnygrl

[14]Nov 20, 2008
    • level: 6
    I was thinking this is a very smart marketing tool--putting an un-aired series finale on dvd. Whether or not Season 2 is marketed as a stand alone set or Season 1 and 2 are packaged together as a complete series, people are going to want to buy it just to find out the rest of the story. I know when the second season of Jericho came out on DVD, I couldn't wait to see the alternative ending they had planned if the show hadn't been cancelled. I think TPTB are missing out on a sizeable market by not ending more cancelled series on DVD. I'd still love to know what happened to all the people they rounded up at the end of Invasion.

Will_of_the_D

[15]Nov 27, 2008
    azsunnygrl wrote:
    I was thinking this is a very smart marketing tool--putting an un-aired series finale on dvd. Whether or not Season 2 is marketed as a stand alone set or Season 1 and 2 are packaged together as a complete series, people are going to want to buy it just to find out the rest of the story. I know when the second season of Jericho came out on DVD, I couldn't wait to see the alternative ending they had planned if the show hadn't been cancelled. I think TPTB are missing out on a sizeable market by not ending more cancelled series on DVD. I'd still love to know what happened to all the people they rounded up at the end of Invasion.
    Ah yes, I'd love to find out what happened with Invasion as well. Same goes for Traveler and the soon-to-be departed Pushing Daisies.