October Road

ABC (ended 2008)

krazy4crack

October Road Fan Reviews (135)

• This show looks great!

This show absolutely looks great, usually I don't like to watch any of these kind of shows but this one looks really good I just cant wait to watch the first episode, which premiers tonight anyhow! I am going to just love this show because it has all the qualities of a great show and it seems just so interesting with all the different character plots and just everything, it looks amazing! Even with the show looking great the characters are just awesome, there are many top actors and actresses who will steal not only the show but your hearts as well, this looks like a great show and again I can not wait to watch it!
  • After watching the pilot episode, I would say it has the potential to be a hit. I loved it.

October Road uses great music, I really noticed the music throughout the episode. Maybe it's just my taste in music, but I thought they did a wonderful job. Also, the show was spectacular, although the dialogue could get a little bit better. The characters all seem really interesting and I liked how the show started off 10 years before to give us insight into what is going on in the present day. Overall, I would say that October Road is off to a pretty good start.
  • Man goes away, suppose to come back, stays away, comes back home, hell breaks loose. you have got to love it!

The show was amazing, I can't wait to watch it again online or for next week's episode.

The relationship between Bryan and the other characters is great. The cast director did a great job casting people for this show.

The plot is intriguing and different from other television shows. It kind of runs like a movie, I didn't want it to end. I hope that the relationship between Nick and Sam continues, and that Hannah tells Nick the truth, as well as Sam.

This show is going to be so good!

I hope it stays around a while, because I want to see what happens next.
  • Going home can be rough. And this show definatly shows how that is the truth.

I thought that this was a good show. There is hardly ever anything on TV these days and to find a show that is a good sit down and enjoy show is unusual! I think that this is definatly a show that needs to keep going. Maybe make some parts more action packed to get the viewers who are into that sort of thing, but other than that I think it was a nice show that you can watch with a family or friends and not feel like you are watching crap! Keep it up I think that it can make a great program!
  • Nick Garrett, when returning home after being away for ten years, questions himself. Once back home on OR he quickly discovers that the circle of friends whose teenaged lives he wrote about have since settled into blue collar careers and started families.

This episode was great. Way better than I thought it would be. The plot of the show make sense, it was not boring at all. I especially liked the way the story started in the past tense and I enjoyed the use of flashbacks. I definitely can't wait until next weeks episode. The audience is definitely left wanting more. You really want to know what happens next, with the boy, and if he does reconcile with his former friends. Also the actors chosen for the show are great. I especially like Bryan Greenberg, I really like his acting and he really brings the character to life. Also seeing the many "stars" that have appeared on many other show is great.
  • Wasn't this a movie in the 90's?

Fantastic show. But seriously, could it be any more of a direct copy of the movie Beautiful Girls? Of course a few tweaks here and there: protagonist is a writer not a pianist, back for a lecture not a reunion, the blond is an old girlfriend not a beautiful stranger, but come on! Fortunately I loved the movie so I'll watch the show and see how it goes. So far the soundtrack is impressive, the cinematography is whimsical, and the actors on board have proven themselves previously on some fabulous shows. The last scene of the pilot left a little to be desired, it was a bit trite in my opinion. But I think this one shows some promise!
  • New series that was wrongfully given bad reviews (in my opinion)

We meet a guy named Nick who grew up in small town. He leaves his family, friends, and his girlfriend Hannah and writes a best seller. When he comes back, 10 years later, he's met with mixed emotions from those he left behind and from within. Some things have changed, some haven't. He run's into Hannah who introduces him to her ten year old son, Sam. Nick wonders if the child is his, but Hannah tells him that he's not the father. Nick came back to teach a one day college course, but after spending a few days in his home town he decides to stay. This series looks promising. I love the cast and I'm looking forward to seeing how this show plays out.
  • Good show. Will watch again.

I really liked the pilot. I think Bryan Greenberg is a good choice because he is able to project his emotions onscreen very effectively. He is also really gorgeous! I will add this to my regularly watched tv shows!

Laura Prepon is well-suited for her role. At first, I didn't recognize her as she is playing such a different character than in That 70's Show. She is a mature young woman in this show.

It will be interesting to see how the layers unfold and what will happen this season, especially in terms of Sam's biological father and how Nick and Hannah's relationship evolves.
  • Boy goes back to small town after leaving it behind 10 years prior.

Well I just watched the first episode and I really enjoyed it. I cant wait to see what exactly he wrote in his book to make all his loved ones hate him. Although, come on the kid is obviously his, I wonder how long they are going to drag that story line out for. I liked the cast I thought they played well off of each other. And plus the guy that plays Nick is very very good looking I never really seen him before but I will be watching the show from now on cause I want to see how it develops.
  • A mediocre show whose poor characters and cliché writing never allow it to achieve the promise of it’s brilliant soundtrack.

4.6
    The best thing about this show is the music. Unfortunately you will be hard pressed to find anything else to like. The small town of Knights Ridge is as pretty as a postcard and the matte and/or CG used to achieve that effect is painfully apparent. But as bad as the special effects are, the plot is even worse. I was stunned by the excellent song choices and truly wanted to like this show but as much as I tried... I failed. Given the initial plot premise even a ten-year-old could’ve written a better show. The very first time we see that Mom of the "wise beyond his years" kid is Nick's old flame we can see the end of the episode and by hitting the viewer over the head several times with "Garrett men are all allergic to nuts" even the mechanism of the big reveal comes as no surprise.

All-in-all the show was predictable and boring. My suggestion to improve the show would be to throw out everything but the soundtrack and start over again from scratch. Oh... and hire better writers.
  • A man returns to his hometown 10 years after leaving it 'to pursue a better life'.He revisits & decides to stay, but after writing a book depicting them in a bad light, they all have a lot of issues they need to resolve before any of them can move on.

A great show with a lot of room for the characters to grow. I felt right at home watching the pilot which didn't feel unrealistic at all. Though it might not be action-packed with drama and differentr characters almost every episode (hopefully), it's a sophisticated look at small-town life, the ups and downs, and the people that are ther for it all.
    I greatly enjoyed this show
  • Autumn in New England type of show, good characters and will fit with any age group, also if concerned if it is appropriate for young viewers- it is.

7.8
    This appears, atleast from the pilot to be a very good show and each episode should be just as good if this is done right. Only complaint is where the blonde girl says "We threw out all of our REO Speedwagon albumns" and the first song was Boston's Don't look back. These folks are only 28, they would have to be 45 now to have really been into that kind of music. Music does not make sense for the age of the characters. If I hear any Allman Brothers songs, that is just really going to annoy me enough to not watch. Again, the age of the characters and music do not fit.
  • Even after one episode... i love this show!

This show has soo much potential. If they keep up the surprises, the dialogue,and the story lines like they did in the pilot episode i could guarantee another couple seasons. Coming back to my hometown after not being here for 10 years would get really akward. i dont think i could be able to do that. Nick is brave! Another thing..finding out that i might have a possbile kid..i would go into heart attack mode! like i said nick is really brave for wanting to stay there. If i was him..i would try to break up Hannah and Cataldo. They aren't good for each other. Hannah and Nick should get back together cuz the beginning was soo cutee!
  • Fantastic show! I will watch every time!

This show was FANTASTIC!! I watched it with my sister on Thursday and now it is our show that we will watch every time it is on now! Great show!! Will watch it until it is over which will suck! Great cast as well! I love how Bryan Greenberg is from Omaha, Nebraska! Hope it stays on for a long time! Television has not been to great lately and now I finally found a great show to watch! Hats off to the creaters, producers, cast and all involved in the show! Hope more people will get into it and watch every day!
  • I don't understand how a show about a writer, could have the worst writing ever!

5.9
    So, I started watching this with really high hopes. The premise was good, and it would be really easy to build on this show. But then, after a couple of minutes, I realized that the writing was something to be desired. Everything fell into place to perfectly. At first I thought it was the acting (although Laura Prepon is sorta horrible), but then everything became clear. Although some people might like it, just because it is simple, I personally feel like they need to roughen it up a bit.
  • I really found this show interesting. I think that the first episode was good and as the season goes on the show will get better and better with time.

I thought that the first episode of this show was really good and i would like to see the next episode of the show thnat comes on. I think that people will like the show more as time goes by. The only real thing that is going to bother me is the fact that i think the two main characters should be together (Bryan Greenberg and Laura Prepon). I think that, that main factor is going to bother me through the whole series. But other than that i thought the first episode was really interesting and was really just good all around and i cant wait till this thursday to come.
  • all in all..decent.

Boy goes away leaves his love behind to pursue his dream to become something big then comes back after some five to ten years, sees his first love then BAAM!!its a very common love story but i think it will get better in time( i hope so)..just glad they did not spend that much time with the flashbacks coz i hate flashbacks!!beautiful actors a plus ( as always) but if they dont come up with good scripts then..hmmm...the pilot is good though..simple, straight to the point. Bryan Greenberg is fairly good. Saw familiar faces from a lot of different sitcoms.
  • Wow, I've never seen THAT before...

6.9
    Okay, so, I like the cast. The kid is adorable. That said, this show is fluff. Cliche writing and an old story that we've heard again and again.

But I did enjoy it on a feel-good level, and I'll keep it on TiVo for a while. You never know, it could pick up.

I mean, TV is for enjoyment, not just quality programming. I'll be the first to admit A LOT of my favorite shows suffer in the quality department.

As a whole, I'll say October Road has potential, and we'll revisit it later. If you're one of those who loved it, more power to you! Embrace it, and pray it stays on the air. I'm not holding my breath.
  • I'm caught!

If the episodes which are to follow are as interesting as the pilot then I'm hooked! And to think I almost switched the t.v. after Grey's (1 of my faves). Anyways I'm glad I didn't because I really really liked it I hope the writers keep it interesting - as long as they do I'll be watching and you should too!

October Road - Two thumbs way way UP!, 5 stars the whole Shebang! A Must Must see 4 Thursday night TV.
  • Nick leaves his hometown after college to travel Europe for six weeks. He planned on returning home after his trip ended, but it didn't work out that way. He returns 10 years later for a short visit, but realizes that he needs to stay longer.

I just watched this show and was instantly hooked. Most of the characters are well recognized from other shows and movies, which make this show more enjoyable to watch. ABC did a great job on this show, not only with the cast, but with the plot of the show. This show makes up for the loss of One Tree Hill on The CW, but helps to bring in an older crowd that might have forgone watching OTH. This show is definitely a keeper and I highly recommend checking it out. You will find yourself waiting impatiently for the next episode to air. Way to go ABC! You've found another winner!
  • Are you serious?

Anybody who saw Woody Allen's 1997 film DECONSTRUCTING HARRY thought Wow! That's a really original premise. A guy writes a novel, gets famous only to have pissed off the people in his life who became fodder for his narrative. Clever indeed. But to run an entire series off of this premise is plain crazy. I must admit I am the demographic for this fare and I do relate to these guys on a number of levels but how many rabbits can you pull out of this hat. I think I'd rather watch re-runs of Party Of Five. Don't think i'll be 'road' trippin' anytime again.
  • moooooola

moooooola means in spanish cool. I think cool is the best way to define this show so i think it is going to catch me well it cought me already with only one episode and there is a little number of shows that did that when i saw the first chapter. i think it is interesting because this guy change a lot the time he was out of town and the town and the people of the town had changes too. Like his exgirlfriend who has a child misteriously whith peanut alergy and who has 10 years old the time he was out. I think it is going to be great
  • When Nick returns to his small town roots, he learns that- along with a "quirky" group of family, friends, and characters- he may have left a son behind.

I fear that there is nothing redeemable about this cliche-chick-flick-cum-predictable-television-drama. The acting is poor, the plot uninspired, the characters uninteresting. Frequent band references, overtly themed soundtrack, and wordy exposition feel clunky and forced. Even the muted, autumnal quality of the cinematography seems ill-suited for a spring premiere.

Almost more problematic than the fact that I just watched the brooding ex-best friend give a "mix tape" to a complete stranger is the presentation of the small town in this trite story. Unlike Gilmore Girls, which uses hyperbole to call attention to it's construction of a typically unusual small town, October Road is more subty disparaging; passive ideology devalues a banal small town culture. For example, "Nick"'s little brother complains that, while Nick may return to New York, he is stuck in the town. Likewise, Nick's friends seem complacent with the unflattering representation of the town he includes in his novel. His ex-best friend is the only one to overtly hold a grudge against him; however, his lame mix-tape antics lose him street cred. In sum, Nick and his plight are un-engaging, the precocious little kid is insufferable, and even the endearing Laura Prepon is no saving grace. I give October Road six episodes, max.
  • Love this show! Wish there was more shows like this! I'm sick of law and order this or CSI that.

I love family oriented shows and it seems to fit the bill. The character Nick is perfect for the role he played a similar role on One Tree Hill Jake being a dad and all . Another show I like btw. Hope ABC brings us more shows like this. I have not really watched ABC except for Grey's in a few years till this season. When they brought in What About Brian and Brothers and Sisters I was like alright about time. Now this October Road ABC is doing something right for once.
  • I should be ashamed of myself, I missed the second episode last night, I'm VERY upset about that! I hope to see the recap on the site soon!

First I have to say, the ONLY negative thing I have to say about October Road is : I wish it was on like an hour earlier!
    I absolutely hated to see the commercials come, I could NOT come unglued from my seat. It truly IS my FAVORITE show. My favorite characters are: Hannah, and Nick, of course! I was a VERY loyal fan of That Seventies Show. Laura Prepon is my favorite actress. She just brings a presence to anything that she does. Her character Hannah and Bryan Greenberg's character Nick seem to have an unsaid chemistry. I certainly hope that the writers let them get together on the show, that would be the best! She needs to DUMP Ray, hes NOT a good role model for Sam. He is trying, but no A for effort, he does not seem like he is in it to be a "Dad figure" at all. Hope the show goes far, because I absolutely LOVE IT!!!
  • Last nights episode was my first time watching it. I missed the first episode which is my loss. The story of the kid coming back after running from his past, and the pain he caused the ones he loved, really touches close to home.

This show is fantastic. It feels like your own life. We all have that moment when our life feels like a soap opera, and that everyone is watching us. This show truly captures that feel. It hits a little too close to home at times, but that's what makes it such a good show. I am so tired of watching shows that are so out there, that you can't relate to anything going on. We all date, we all go thru heartache, we have all wanted to run at time, some of us actually have. Fantastic new show!!!! The cast is amazing. Every person truly encompasses their role.
  • For soap opera fans only.

5.3
    There isnt much original here. Standard drama with large ensemble cast. This author guy, Nick, comes home after being gone for 10 years trying to solve his writers block. There are various sub plots about off beat people Nick knows. That’s about it. Not sure where this one would go other than Nick continually bumping into people he knew from his past. The absurd names of some of these charactes such as “The Commander” is just plain goofy; along with “Big Cat” and “Physical Phil”. Ugh.

In episode 2 there was the awful peanut allergy business concerning a kid he thought was his. The scene in the bar was absurd. Who would stand up and ask “Who here has a nut allergy?” Double Ugh. . He is surprised when the Dean of the University where he applies for a job questions whether he stay long term. I wouldn’t hire a guy like him until he was in town for a year or more and showed he was serious about staying. Even worse was when Nick pathetically begged the Dean of the University for job by throwing pebbles at her window at night like a guy trying to get a girls attention – this was extremely weird use of a standard cliché. A show like this would appeal to people who like Prime Time soap opera type relationship shows. I channel surfed thru half of it and didn’t feel like I missed anything. It’s a decent show but it just doesn’t interest me enough to watch it every week; theres really nothing new or special about it. But I must say Id rather see shows like this of Friday Night Lights on the schedule than endless CSI or American Idol clones, even if Im not watching it.

If a mushroom cloud appeared over Boston and Nick was looking at it, this might get interesting. Otherwise? Ill pass. Please pass the Peanuts....
  • Nick returns home after 10 years to learn if anyting has changed.

I think that this show is one of the best new shows on television. I think that the writers have came up with some very good storylines and i cannot wait to see where they take them. I think that October Road has casted a lot of very good actors and actresses and they do a wonderful job potrarying the characters evan though it is hard for me to see some of the actors in this show because i recoginize them in other shows but they all are able to pull off these new roles and week after week it gets easier to see them in this show vs the others.
  • such a great show. better be on for a long time.

When I saw the previews for this show I thought I should check it out cause it seemed like the kind of show that could keep you intrigued without dozens of plot twists thrown into the mix.

I mean, I TRIED to watch the OC because I just love dramas, but it was just too out there for me and made me feel completely unsympathic to all of the characters no matter how many bad things happened to them. But this show makes me sympathize with all the charcters case this is stuff that people really do go through. Sometimes you are an ass to your friends and you do talk trash behind their backs. And sometimes someone you love really does leave you.

This show can really hit close to home. If you go into any small town across America you will run into people just like this and fact that they can just throw real life on screen and keep you interested without throwing a bunch of useless drama into makes you want to just stay tuned.
  • October Road is a keeper!

I love this show. I'm stuck on this show every minute, never turning the channel for anything else. Bryan Greenberg is so adorable as Nick Garrett. I love Laura Prepon! She is such a wonderful and talented actress that steals the show everytime as Hannah. I hope this show stays on for a long time because the story is so interesting and original. I can't wait every Thursday to see the next episode :)
< 1 2 3 4 5