Odyssey 5

Showtime (ended 2002)

Odyssey 5 Fan Reviews (22)

I have just re-watched Odyssey 5 and it was one of the better ones. The finale showed that it had somewhere to go in season 2.

How many shows we want continued get canned, especially sci-fi with a bit of thought. It does have to be all shooting action somewhere. if would have liked a season 2 of the Event, Firefly, extra Sarah Connor, even Earth the list goes on and on and on.

The people who want to produce good content need to go to the fans directly and we subscribe to a show.

It does have to be expensive. Look at Stargate a later season final cost 1-2 million to make divide that by 10+ million viewers worldwide and its cost peanuts per episode.

How much crap do people have to go through to get funding now? People with facilities I think could get more work from hiring them out. Technicians could get much better long term work.

We would not have to wait on the whims, TV channels, as we watch it over the web or download, plus buy hardcopy direct through the producer. Anyone can go to a replication company and

Even bypass the chain stores. Make it direct and low cost.

You know Switzerland would not ban personal downloading because they found the biggest buyers of content were the people who also download. The people who are moaning about loss of income, if they made the content easier to get they would have so much revenue. So many Australians are mad you cannot buy Game of Thrones through ITunes because Foxtel Australia is showing it.

Authors and producers there is whole way to bypass the whole TV and normal cinema process and go to you fans for direct subscriptions

Why should you beg for funding, that trickles down from these middle men and advertisers?

You don't even need iTunes and their ilk to sell subscriptions, that's simple e-commerce software to setup.

I think also a lot of good sci-fi could be made as high end anime. I look at the quality of Appleseed ex machina

If you subscribed, you get access to cheap DVD sets etc. if you want a hard copy.

Get the dross out of the way, that gives us too much crap like reality TV and give us something to watch without 1 single advertisement.

Let the better stories be told.

Let the subscribers be more part of the process. Make rule for the subscription that the leeches screwing us around now don't get involved.

I look at books from Iain Banks, Stephen Baxter, Jack Mcdevitt, and Peter Hamilton just to name a few.

Imagine the whole dune series with prequel and sequel books made in say 300+ episodes over 10 tears and properly told. It's not going to be made where for every say $1 million per show to get made and trickle through the system it needs $10+ million in ad revenue to be made.

If it needs 41 million and fair profit margin and set of rules not to stuff people around it can get made and we don't have to watch advertisements for crap that's probably food wise helping harm our health.

In Australia we don't have all those drug company ad's and I thank the universe for that here.

We are still waiting for Altered Carbon whose rights are owned now my Hollywood. Imagine if Richard Morgan had let this go to subscription.

The key to get people buying subscriptions is for people not to be too greedy. People cannot afford lots of expensive ones,

Given how many good books could get to film this way if you get to greedy you will lose subscribers.

As you get lower the unit cost as reward. Don't be too greedy and the money will continue forever.

• I started watching this show.

I just started watching this show and I instantly got hooked. It was very interesting aswell as inspiring to see ideas like Nanits recreating the human body, or a drug capable of connecting multiple minds. weather or not these idea's are even possible.... but I for one think outside the box and believe anything is possible. I mean who knows where science may take us.

But with the cliffhanger. I was so into this show aswell as Fringe and the 4400. why did they cancel them is it because people are pirating to watch them so producers can't make money or the ratings are dropped therefore there isn't any interest for a tv network to keep them on the air. if that's the case someone should create a solution. so fututre shows like Continuum can complete the story line. I'll be pissed if they show get's cancelled.
  • Great show, lost before it had a chance to really get going

This is a show about 5 people from the future going back in time to try to stop the world from blowing up. When they go back in time they are in their bodies from 5 years in the past and they are the only ones that know about the future.

When they go back in time they come across the problem of just because you knew that it happened doesn't mean that it is going to happen again. This causes problems for the team because they want to save the world but the events that keep changing make it harder to know what is going on. Every move that they make changes something and the bad guys change with it.

The show is well written and yes there are some not so great episodes but the overall show is great and the ending is aswome. I wish that they had continued the show in atleast another format to finish the story.

Definately a must have for scifi fans on dvd.
  • Finally something interesting

For whatever reason execs at the networks chose to dump a show that is well-written, cast with great actors and has an interesting story i really do not know. Odyssey 5 is not only intriguing story-wise but it also works as an ensemble piece. the crew is very likeable and sometimes very funny and ironic. Especially the relationship between Kurt and Angela is quite interesting. Peter Weller totally nails the part of Taggart. i haven't seen a performance like that in a very long time. I would really like to know if the 5 actually prevent the earth from exploding or if the sentients prevail. The last episode has a huge cliffhanger and i would like to see that resolved. what about a mini-series?
  • OK, some of the episodes were decidedly cheesy... however, the last four were really great and the whole story was really building momentum... and then... CUT! end of season, end of series. Definitely needs a movie to give us closure!

Started off really great - brilliant and new idea... great characters, very different concept of sci fi using a realistic space shuttle. OK, during the season, some of the episodes were decidedly cheesy... however, the last four episodes were really great and the whole story was really building momentum and coming together.

The fact that the characters involved were barking up the wrong tree, and that more information was coming out ... poor Kurt was stuck in jail ... poor Sara is losing her son and possibly her future husband... (oops! Spoilers!) ... and then... CUT! end of season, end of series. Definitely needs a movie to give us closure! PLEASE!

fantastic series, must be completed at least with a 2 hour movie.

I want to see how it ends!!!

i don't understand why the have to stop all good scifi series.

watch it even if you know there is no an end thx to the genius that stopped its production.

"We saw the Earth destroyed, and in a heartbeat everything and everyone we knew was gone. There were five of us, the crew of the space shuttle Odyssey and we were the only survivors. A mysterious being who called himself The Seeker rescued us and sent us back in time. And now we have five years to live over, five years to discover who or what destroyed the Earth, five years to stop it from happening again..."
  • Very few programs of any genre have the intelligent and honest character dialogue as scripted in ‘Odyssey 5’…

The stars of this show to me are the writing team; Manny Coto, Jonathan Glassner, Tommy Thompson, Tracy Tormé, Edithe Swensen, Alan Brennert, Lindsay Sturman, Michael Cassult!
    The actors portray their characters with a sense of being that is rare in sci-fi. And the writers have filled the voices of the characters with a truthfulness that makes me laugh and at times clap. Or even hoping that I remember some witty line to drop into a conversation at a later date.
    Like most people I am sad that SHOWTIME cancelled this program. And sadder that it seems acceptable in the current TV climate to feel no remorse or need to finish with a movie length episode that wraps up all the loose ends.
    As we the viewers become more savvy, we seem to notice when we are gypped.
    Its unfortunate that a great show is marred by an ending that leaves us hanging…similar to Surface, Blade and so many more.
    I recommend this program even knowing that there is no resolution. It’s a great ride and we know they would save us in the end.

• MUST READ THIS - don't watch this unless you are ready for disappointment. Don't support Manny Coto - or SHOWTIME unless they FINISH this series. Had great potential...to bad the ones pulling the strings are so LAME!

NO ENDING! There is no way I can give this episode, or this series a good rating when it leaves it's loyal viewers HANGING and doesn't end the series. This reflects poorly on SHOWTIME and MANNY COTO. Look out!

I wouldn't watch anything these "entertainers" do until they complete their work...until they finish the job in with they were paid to do. Look for COTO before watching his work.

These "entertainers" should be ashamed for hooking the public into a show, and leaving them high and dry. But, they don't care. They will continue to do this unless we ban there work - or, at least - let them finish a product...and THEN watch it. I've cancelled my SHOWTIME subscription for 5 years now. It's sooooo simply. JUST END IT. Geezsh...
  • TV Execs! Dinosaurs they just dont know it yet!!!! Odyssey 5 was a show they should have given at least one more season to complete.

Odyssey 5 was ahead of its time and sadly will be missed. Well written, well acted, and some original ideas! Oh what a cliffhanger never to be resolved, that just makes my blood boil. No wonder people cant be bothered watching a show in case its axed, moved to after 930pm timeslot or another night. So people either download or give it a miss if its rating poorly. Why invest time and energy into a show if there syndications cant do the same. So well done TV execs, you guys are the T - Rexs of show biz, pity it wont be long before commercial TV is dead and you guys become all extinct. Now i look forward to that!
  • Full marks - excellent show. Should be returned for further seasons.

So rare to find modern science fiction series of this calibre. Showtime made a stupid decision in cancelling it leaving millions of fans wondering what happened after the season 1 cliffhanger. Peter Weller is excellent as always and this show is Manny Coto\'s finest work to date. Now showing in Australia on the new SciFi channel, it is reaching a whole new audience whom will rightfully clamour for its return. If Showtime cannot bring this series back then it should seriously considering passing the series to a channel which can (SciFi for eg). All the players present very polished performances and the whole series is very professional. A most excellent show which simply must be returned!
  • A show killed before its time...

I finally got around to watching this show a couple years ago when Showtime aired the remaining unaired episodes and my gosh - what were they thinking to kill it? A unique premise that allows for building up a lush and full group of characters - and even running on a premium network that allows for a wider range of dialog and character situations, and it's cut short.

The characters were real people (and scientists/astronauts) with real issues, and you could relate to their dilemma. And what a dilemma they had! To somehow prevent the destruction of Earth, having been given a chance to do so by being mysteriously sent back 5 years in time.

Perhaps someone will let Coto finish this off, similar to how other shows killed before their time like Firefly, etc., were given the chance to come to some sort of conclusion.
  • Yet another demand to \'bring it back\'

Odyssey 5, a team of five astronauts, including a young reporter, who witness the total obliteration of the world and are sent back 5 years into the past by a powerful alien being in order to prevent it. I was only able to catch the pilot, sadly, I could never find it on the air afterward and frankly am SHOCKED that the series was so short. It was highly original, and it was very intuitive and extremely well acted. If you like sci-fi shows like X-Files or Sliders you would really enjoy this. I hope they end up bringing this series back.
  • Season 1: Good Sci-Fi series for those who don\'t mind multiple conspiracy plots. Great mix of characters.

Odyssey 5
    Through Season 1

The crew of the space shuttle is sent back in time with only five years to save the earth from a mysterious explosion.

Despite the dual challenges of writing a time travel series and one with a single long term objective (Will Gilligan get off the Island before the last show?), there is enough meat on each episode to keep me interested. The assorted crew of the five main characters in different stages of relationships/family life gives the show added depth. Sci-Fi fans should give it a try.
  • Get Sony to bring Odyssey 5 back, just like Fox did for Family guy because the DVD sales were so high! Buy the DVD set that will be out on April 25th!

Get Sony to bring Odyssey back like Fox did for Family guy because the DVD sales were so high! Buy the DVD set that will be out on April 25th! as mentioned on this page: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5126
    *** This is just a link to a DVD news site, and not an order link - so I am not making any money if you buy it - I just want the show to come back!
  • An absolutely fantastic show

I have only recently started watching the show, 3 years after it was first released I have only seen the first 5 Episodes. And I was surprised very very surprised I can’t stop watching. I like a lot of sci-fi show but this one was different the story plot was fresh and mostly original. Normally sci-fi shows that get cancelled after only 1 season I thought it was going to be rubbish but idea that the earth is destroyed and the minds of the five odyssey sent back 5 years to solve what happened was fantastical. The cast chemistry I thought was amazing and really believed in the social dynamic. Plus Robocop is your main character you can’t beat that. There was this one bit, which really freaked me out was when Kurt set up that body heat sensor and all the body walking by are red then that one green one. To sum everything up this is a great show it’s serious and funny with a great cast and story lines, so I can’t understand why it was cancelled like it was and should be brought back.
  • Great sci-fi show for those with an imagination.

It's a well done sci-fi show that deals with the earth being destroyed and then 5 people getting a second chance to go back 5 years and try to prevent the earth's destruction. Peter Weller is pretty intense. The re-runs out of order just confuse people. It has plenty of Technology and interesting relationships between the "five" and their loved ones who don't know what happened those next 5 years.....Hopefully they make better choices this time around !
  • Brilliant show; God knows why Shotime canceled it.

Nothing much to say, except:

Original storyline, brilliant actors, excellent
    plot twists, classic, classic show - BRING IT BACK!!! Please......

Really i do not understand why it was pulled off the air. This season alone there are worse shows on the air..Odessey was so good!! I savor the episodes and I see only 1 a day not to waist them.. (I have only recently discovered the show!). What a shame!

• The crew of the Space shuttle Odyssey watch from space as the debris of the planet earth drifts in silence around them... Saved by a mysterious stranger, they are sent back five years into the past with the goal of preventing the disaster from happ

From the very first episode, this show was gripping and exquisitely photographed! The beautifully filmed opening scene, which juxtaposes the sing-along chorus of "We live in a beautiful world" from Coldplay's song "DON'T PANIC" with shots of the space shuttle orbiting the planet were breathtakingly conceived... and rendered that much more potent when the Earth suddenly explodes out from under them.
    The story itself, in which these five survivors (three astronauts, a reporter, and a scientist) are returned to earth, the only five people on the planet who have "memories" of the next five years, takes us into dark twists and turns.
    Over the course of this one season, we discovered government conspiracies, secret cover-ups and the birth of an artificially created intelligent life form. All of these events, though seemingly unrelated, eventually lead to the destruction of the planet. The crew, though often overwhelmed with the enormity of their task, struggle to come to terms with the changes they inadvertently cause not only in the lives of those around them, but in their own lives, as they battle a shadow enemy whom they have already alerted to their identities and intentions.
    This was a series that kept me on the edge of my seat, and I couldn't wait for the next episode every week. The final episode of this series, however, is the piece-de-resistance, as so many answers become tantalizingly clear, and the truth is nearly revealed to all... then the episode ends with the ominous words "TO BE CONTINUED" and the show never came back for a second season.
    ...and the networks wonder why people are unwilling to invest their time in new shows.
    If you are a fan of intelligent, thought provoking sci-fi, or of action and suspense drama, then this is a show you MUST watch. You will discover first rate acting worthy of the big screen, and you will be delighted by stories that will get you thinking. I would recommend, however, that you don’t watch the last episode unless you enjoy frustration.
  • a someone with a twisted love for canceled show i must love this one also and indeed i do.

simply a good show, an interesting theme that could offer a good numbers of episodes in which different issues can be explorerd. shamefully only a handful of these issues are explored because of an early cancelation.

being put back 5 years in the past and getting the task to prevent the earth from blowing up isn\'t super orginal. but all kind of extra things as smart computer programs fighting each other and then world and knowing the future in away makes it more interesting then it might sound at first.

the cast is good fun also, a number of people with different subpriorities and egos have to work together for the main priority, saving the earth from destruction (again).

as mentioned other reviews you will prolly get an empty feeling when watching the final episode and wanting to know how it ends. the final episode is really a great season finale, but it NEEDS another season to be perfect. none the less, its worth your time.
  • Left you hanging. The story line was to good to just end the show like that.

This show had an incredible story line. They never should have started the show if they weren't going to complete the series. I hate it when a good series such as this goes to waste. In my opinion they need to bing the show back. I watched the show's on Showtime again recently and thought that since they showed the repeats they were going to bring the show back. So far I haven't seen anything. Hopefully they will.
  • Another good example of how evil the "ratings" can be sometimes. Here we have a good and unique show which had a good first season and a huge amount of potential. But the cold truth of TV is that only ratings matter. Odyssey 5 got cancelled after a huge c

Odyssey 5 is one of those shows that gets my blood boiling when other shows are cancelled these days. Just like John Doe or Angel or Farscape or Enterprise, this show got cancelled. Not only did this show get cancelled, it was cancelled after a huge cliffhanger just like JD, Angel and Farscape.

Odyssey 5 had a unique plot, in the beginning of the series we saw the Earth implode and get destroyed in a blink of an eye. The astronauts who saw this got captured by an alien being, who transported their minds through time and back to their younger selfs.

They had a mission to find out why this implosion happened. In the first season they discover many things and start to get a small picture about what might've happened.

This series had a great amount of good humor, good plots and the actors were excellent. It was a good series with lots of potential. Nevertheless the show got cancelled after the first season, which ended in a huge cliffhanger.

I seriously can't recommend this show to anyone, simply because it's only 1 season and the cliffhanger will most likely leave you angry and sad. Odyssey 5 got cancelled and is very likely not coming back.
  • Excellent show but you shouldn't watch it.

Personally i never watch shows that was cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons, i do that to avoid the feeling i got right now.
    I started watching this show halfway through the season, i already saw it had 1 season so i didn't bother, still because nothing else was on i decided to watch a episode, it was surprisingly good, and since then i watched all the episodes after (like 10) and i just watched the last episode and it left me empty.

The show is great, interesting storyline and everything is worked out pretty well, which is why i don't get why this was cancelled.
    It frustrates me to see good shows get cancelled, and especially like this, we are left with a major cliffhanger and we will never know what will happen, and because it only had 1 season such shows aren't likely to get a TV Movie, with most shows that had 3 seasons or more they tell them in time that they are getting cancelled so that they can make a series finale, or they get to do some TV Movies.

They didn't get either, which is why i don't think you should start watching this, i mean it's better not to watch a movie at all then that someone switches it off halfway through and you can never see the ending.

It's a real shame this show had to end, it's of the better sci-fi series for sure.