On the Air

ABC (ended 1992)

On the Air Fan Reviews (5)

6.7
  • David Lynch's F You to ABC

Let me tell you a story. Mark Frost and David Lynch pitched a show, Twin Peaks, to ABC. ABC loved the idea so much that they offered them a two show deal, Twin Peaks and another show that Frost/Lynch would develop.

Twin Peaks went on the air and was a huge hit, till the second season. The start of the second season saw both fans and critics turn on the show. Only the hardcore David Lynch fans stood by it. After season two ABC pulled the plug on Twin Peaks. Lynch was not happy about this and vowed never to do TV again. ABC had different plans. They held Frost/Lynch to thier two show deal. Feeling that ABC did appreciate them or deserve a second show, they produced On The Air, something that almost no one understood. ABC of course, tossed it away.

And that is the story of On the Air.
  • Surreal slapstick sitcom

This is one of my favorite shows of the last 15 years. Sadly, only six of the eight original episodes aired here in the U.S. and they were shown out of order. This was David Lynch's first foray back into Television since Twin Peaks, and many of the cast from that show followed him to this one. It is alternatately absurd, surreal, slapstick, and bizzare. It is about the newly-made "Buster Guy Show" broadcasts live, weekly, on a mythical Zblotnik Broadcasting Network in the early 1950s, during the infancy of television. Plot descriptions do not do this show justice, it was one of the funniest, most bizzare things to ever play on television.

Never commercially released in the U.S. on video or DVD, all eight episodes were briefly available in the mid 1990's as a Japanese Laserdisc import.
  • Not for the Mcdonalds mind set, David Lynch brings cerebral comedy to the small screen.

David Lynch's vision of a 1950s live to air variety show was probably a little ambitious for it's time, but if you can slide your brain sideways a little and embrace the quirky characters, cinematography and overall irregularity of the show, it holds up as highly entertaining viewing. Not for fans of Friends or Everyone Loves Raymond...
  • A show from the producers of Twin Peaks about the wacky goings on at a TV studio during the live TV era.

I think I only watched one episode,but I remember enough to offer my opinions.I think David Lynch was better off sticking to dark serious drama.In spite of a decent cast,this show has to have been one of the worst sit-coms of all time.One dimensional charcters,putrid writing,poor directing.no sense of timing whatsoever.If Lynch had tied his wagon to an established producer it might have worked,but Mark Frost doesnt know any more about sit-coms than Lynch.This is one series I have no interest in revisiting ever.
  • On the Air, should have been off the air when it started

0.8
    On the air is an unholy mess, this is one of the ugliest, most incomprehensible tv shows I've ever seen, it is so incredibly awful, it made me sick, it's from the people that did twin peaks, also did this truly dreadful and truly scary and unfunny disaster.

The Acting is horrible, the teleplay is a mess, and everything else is horrible as well

They should have called this series off the air

A Big Thumbs Down for me.