On the Lot Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

On The Lot has the wrong format...

JoeMacbeth

[1]Jul 1, 2007
    • level: 14
    Don't you think On The Lot would have worked so much better as a more apprentice like show delving into the cinematic world and giving us a look into the tricks of the trade? I think this american idol format is so dull, the films are fun to watch but all the time in between is so dull.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DrFinkelstein

[2]Jul 2, 2007
    • level: 5
    I never considered that but I, being a filmmaker myself, definitely would have preferred that.

ShinyHubCaps

[3]Aug 7, 2007
    • level: 10
    It's an audience-vote-based show. All of those shows (Idol, Dance, that celebrity impersonator crap, Last Comic Standing, that excuse for a Talent Show, etc.) are run by the same format because it segues (sp?) from the performance to the audience vote. For the rounds up until the audience vote, then yes, that could work. However, unlike Apprentice, these people need to make a finished product to be shown every... single... week.

As far as format, yes, it's a little boring with the space between. However, it is what it is. This format is better for people picking up the show in the middle; sadly, the show has placed more emphasis on the individual filmmakers, so people who pick it up in the middle are less likely to understand the direction and stuff. The Apprentice format simply would not work, especially for showing five or so films per week. That's 12.5 minutes at least PER EPISODE. No way that could work.

antdude

[4]Aug 8, 2007
    • level: 27
    DrFinkelstein wrote:
    I never considered that but I, being a filmmaker myself, definitely would have preferred that.
    Yes, I was expecting that format because of Mark Burnett!!