An Once Upon a Time Community
Sunday 8:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 25, 2016)

Once Upon a Time S03E06: "Ariel"

Ever since I heard the premise of Once Upon a Time, I've been looking forward to the Little Mermaid episode. I was at the exact age the movie was calibrated to delight when it came out, and it is deeply engrained in my psyche. My anticipation and expectations were HIGH. So you can imagine my concern with this little gollum turning up in the credits.

That ghostly little fish goblin was the warning to manage my expectations. No no, to be fair, there have been much, much worse episodes of OUAT; at least "Ariel" had a message that for once I agree with, which is that keeping secrets is a terrible idea. And hey, Regina finally started teaching Emma to use magic!

But back to secrets. Right at the top of the episode, Hook and Charming had found a whole new secret to go off into the bushes and cry about with each other: Neal was alive and in Neverland! Snow thought Emma should know, but with his usual fetish for controlling information, Charming argued it would "only hurt her." So Snow just straight-up screamed "NEAL’S ALIVE" at Emma the first time she walked into earshot, which was refreshing. The Charmings need to stop protecting each other from pertinent information! The only difference between nobly shielding someone from hard truths and lying to them is about five minutes of rationalization.  

But still, how did Ariel become a slapdash version of Felicity, title character of Felicity? How did Ariel become a stalker who developed a huge crush on a guy she’d never spoken to, someone who would radically upend her life for the chance to mmmaybe hang out with him? Or has that always been Ariel? At least cartoon version had a general wish to know more about the human world in general before she ran into Eric. OUAT’s Ariel just wanted to bag herself a prince. 

Ariel saved Snow after she ran off a cliff and into the ocean to escape the Evil Queen’s soldiers. Once she and her many waterlogged leather accessories were partly out of the deep, she immediately started boy-talkin’ with Ariel. Snow doesn’t want to hear about your life or your goals or what country she’s in, she just wants to spout platitudes about True Love and how it’s not weird to be deeply obsessed with a dude you only saw once before, while he was unconscious. This made her a perfect bestie for Ariel, who had swum all this way to use the 12 hours a year she could walk on land to hunt down Prince Eric. Somehow Snow (a notorious wanted outlaw) and Ariel managed to find some JC Penney semi-formal wear in time to crash the big Ursula Sea Goddess Dance. 

Guys WTF was up with the costumes this week? Did OUAT's costume trailer get struck by lighting and burn down to a sizzling pile of melted gemstones and ash, forcing the producers to run out at the last minute and ask one of their teen daughters to lend them her homecoming gown? Even the extras looked like they'd shown up late to a Halloween Party. It was not on-point. 

Then when Ariel started actually talking to Eric, it really, profoundly hit me: OUAT is a children’s show. I need to stop getting angry at it for being so simplistic and clumsily didactic because it is just fully Children’s Theatre. Only in Children’s Theatre is it considered romantic and not ridiculous for an adult man to tell a grown lady that he has seen her face every night in his dreams. The dialogue was this subtle: "Who are you? You look familiar. Oh, I know, it's because I’ve seen you in my dreams. Not even two minutes have passed. We are in love."

Show me don’t tell me, doofus. Has anyone on OUAT met a human being recently? Do the writers just base every human interaction on Chris Harrison, host of The Bachelor? The recent romantic pairings on this show feel as subtle, natural, and organic as vomiting up a neon blue margarita on the Vegas Strip (pretty sure that happened on The Bachelor once, btw).

Back in Neverland, Rumple got a visit from Pan, who took the liberty of whipping up a delightful pair of Eggs in a Basket, which he knows is Rumple’s favorite? 

And then Pan told Rumple to leave the island, forget his son and grandson, and go home to Belle because she "looks fertile"? A gag shook my entire body at that sentence. LOOKS FERTILE. THE BABY VESSEL IS PRIME. BIRTHING HIPS. THAT’S A BREEDIN’ MARE! It seriously upset me in ways I’m still processing. Then later the plot thickened when it was revealed that Pan’s wraith had been acting as the fertile-looking Belle all along.

Like what does this mean WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?! Between making ol’ Rumpy his favorite breakfast and begging Rumpy to take him home so they might have babies together in wraith-form, there is just a lot going on between Rumple and Pan subtextually. I will admit, I’m curious as to what connection betwixt the two will be finally revealed, though I fear it will be nowhere near as clever as what TV.com commenters will predict. 

Back in the fairy-tale flashback, Lana Parrilla got to show off her Julliard-level vocalizing by impersonating Ursula (complete with white wig!). Ariel went to talk to the sea about her feelings, and Regina, disguised as a half-woman, half-Kraken, appeared with dark magic to offer. Parrilla’s legit vocal training was so impressive in this scene, and it was just so visually weird that it was impossible not to be entertained by it. If I were to make a beloved stoner friend a video mixtape to watch while he or she was completely high, this scene would definitely be on that mixtape. 

Tentacled Regina offered Ariel a solution: She could take a cuff made out of old costume jewelry brooches, put it on Snow, and swap places with her—Snow would become mermaid, Ariel could stay human. Ariel, not thinking twice about whether or not Snow wanted to become a half woman/half fish abomination, slapped it onto Snow’s wrist, and we got to see Ginnifer Goodwin try to react to an imaginary mermaid tail. 

She did a great job. 

Regina showed up and made it clear that Ariel had been DUPED but she should just go find her prince. Snow as usual was totally in favor of dicks over chicks as ever, but then Ariel pulled out her dinglehopper and SHANKED REGINA IN THE NECK!

In addition to saving strangers and then becoming obsessed with them, Ariel keeps a shiv close at all times. Good to know. I always figured there was a dark side to Ariel, like maybe she kept some human teeth or leg bones in that hidey-hole grotto of hers. 

Speaking of hidey-hole grottos: Pan had ingeniously hidden Neal in the Cave of Echoes, and the only way to get to him was for every member of the group to reveal their deepest, darkest secrets. This is because Pan has an uncanny instinct for what makes good TV drama thought their corny-ass secrets would "destroy each other," but luckily no one’s was anywhere close to dark. Now, if Regina had been in there, some hair would've gotten curled and everybody would've needed to take a clothes-on shower to feel clean again because Regin has been through some shit, but with this crew, all the dark secrets were just basically crushes. It was like the Cave of Truth or Dare But No Dares Allowed. 

Hook was like, "My deepest darkest secret is I got over Milah and have a crush on Emma." Snow was like, "I want another baby" hahaha DARK! So dark. SO FERTILE! SHE IS READY FOR A QUICKENING IN HER WOMB. Ugh, full body gag, shudder shudder my head is an Etch A Sketch and I need to shake it clean. I was actually hoping Snow would confess that she was modeling her hairstyle on Ricky from My So-Called Life and taking precious #SaveHenry time to fade the edge with a sharpened arrow every evening, but whatever.

So then Charming was like, "I can never leave Neverland, because Hook put healing waters in my body." And then Emma was like, "Neal, my deepest darkest secret is that I secretly wish you were dead for realz." She may have also said some other stuff about always loving him, but she’s in a confused place right now. The salient point, the point we should all hold onto with regard to this exchange, is that she wishes Neal were dead. Me too, girl, me too.

Still, the conceit of everyone having to shout their darkest secret while in a cave was sort of wonderful and inventive and got through a lot of bullshit effectively. I wish every show would agree to invoke the Cave of Echoes device on a yearly basis, sort of like a Halloween episode. It would sure as hell spice up Revenge.

In the next fairy-tale flashback, Ariel’s story took an even darker twist than stabbing Regina in the neck: She lost her voice and couldn’t alert Eric to the fact that she’d come back to tell him how she felt and reveal that she'd BECOME FERTILE by presumably laying eggs in a sandy hole or whatever fishes do. And then Regina said very sadly that the only thing worse than telling someone you love them and being rejected was not being able to tell them at all. Like, what would feel worse than having no voice and being invisible in a matter as primal and important as who you love? 

Announcing your dark secret of loving someone, the way Hook had the opportunity to do, is actually way more freeing and empowering than stomping off in a huff when the person you love decides to postpone looking for your son to go chase after their messed-up, abusive ex, so you end up swallowing your feelings and teaming up with the Dark One, which is just what Regina did in this episode. (Am I the only one who read this scene this way? The only love stories I find compelling on OUAT anymore are the ones the show isn’t trying to shove down my throat!)

As much as I hate Regina not being there to sass the Charmings and give Emma "magic lessons," this is fundamentally good news, because Parrilla and Robert Carlyle are OUAT's MVPs and this set-up promises to both unite them and set them at odds: Rumple is conflicted about finding Henry, Lana will stop at nothing. The big reveal at the end of the episode was that mermaids can travel from realm to realm. So Regina summoned Ariel and left us with a hell of a promising premise for next week: Ariel must return to Storybrooke, where she can walk on land, get something from Mr. Gold’s shop, and find her Prince Eric at long last. Okay, cool, I want to see that episode. 

Also Neal is now traveling along with the Charmings, and Emma, and Hook and his many, many passionate feelings. And Neal has his own feelings—for Emma—which of course Hook is now aware of and the Great Triangulation of Feelings has begun.

THAT episode I’m not so interested in. But until then, what did you think of "Ariel"?

QUESTIONS:

... Did Ariel get short shrift with her backstory? Where were the underwater scenes? No Sebastian? Was she a lame-ass stalker or awesome? Be prepared to show your work.

... Pan’s wraith hitting on Rumplestiltskin: spooky or sensuous?

... Are you excited that Regina teamed up with Rumple, or will you miss her interactions with the Charmings?

... Did Snow basically stab Emma in the heart by saying she wanted to have a baby, or like duh, of course they should have another baby why not?

... Is "fertile" the most disgusting adjective of all time? ("Moist" is also pretty bad.)

... How are they going to get Charming off the island?

... Is there a difference between lying and shielding someone from the truth for their own good?

... Would you consider dating a merperson?

345 Comments
Comments (345)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I thought this episode was fantastic... but I might just be biased because my name is Ariel.
Flag
I loved how they did Ariel, it's true that she cares more about Eric then being a human or seeing the world like the animated Ariel but still she was good, like how she stabbed Regina with the dinglehopper. they didn't ruined her like Rapunzel, Aurora and Mulan. espically since she and Rapunzel are my favorite Disney princesses.
My favorite episode in the whole series actually.
Flag
I know this is belated and I already commented, but I just realized something. In retrospect, it should have been kind of obvious, but wasn't.

I know why Ariel's behavior seems so much more stalkerey in the TV show than it did in the movie, even though the behavior itself is identical. It's not because of lack of backstory. It's because, in the movie, Ariel is written, and drawn, as a teenager. In fact, one of the reasons the movie still resonates with teen and adult audiences, is that it captures so well what it's like to be a teenager.

There is a huge difference between seeing those behaviors in a teenager, and seeing them in an adult. In a teen, these behaviors are normal, almost expected. It's just part of being a teenager. In an obvious adult... not so much.
Flag
lol your reviews are sometimes better than the show ;o)...still enjoyable episode.
Flag
"If I were to make a beloved stoner friend a video mixtape to watch while he or she was completely high, this scene would definitely be on that mixtape."

Brilliant! :) Though I was a bit disappointed that the real Ursula wasn't as full-figured as she was in the animation. Skinny Ursula is more like Medusa with the snakes in the wrong end than an octopus.

I also loved the Neal-in-a-cage captions and the last picture with the guyliner.

I really like MRJ and I don't think Neal is really that much of a bastard as lots of people make him out to be, but I do think the character is not as good as MRJ is. Hook is much better.

Regina and Rumple of course are the best. I think Ariel was pretty good, the actress at least is very sweet and I'd like to see her looking for her prince in Storybrooke too, though I agree that the whole love at first sight thing was rather gag-worthy.
Flag
I agree ;o)...also I definitely got the Medusa vibe not Ursula.
Flag
Did Ariel get short shrift with her backstory? Where were the underwater scenes? No Sebastian? Was she a lame-ass stalker or awesome? Be prepared to show your work.

Don't think so - we know the story but a call back to sebastian/flounder/that seagull as a throwaway comment would have been nice. I have to say I liked this Ariel - she plays it well, is innocent yet brave, doesn't read too much into things. Just couldn't stand the the dancing at the ball and the lack of charm from Eric (was he like that in the movie?)

... Pan’s wraith hitting on Rumplestiltskin: spooky or sensuous?

This disturbed me. How far was he prepared to go? This question will go unanswered. :(

... Are you excited that Regina teamed up with Rumple, or will you miss her interactions with the Charmings?

Two bads together is fine by me.

... Did Snow basically stab Emma in the heart by saying she wanted to have a baby, or like duh, of course they should have another baby why not?

I get it, she didn't want her to think she wasn't acknowledging her as her child by wanting the whole experience with another child. Seriously delicate stuff there.

... Is "fertile" the most disgusting adjective of all time? ("Moist" is also pretty bad.)

I must have blocked this word out. Glad I did.

... How are they going to get Charming off the island?

Magic? Gotta be magic. And a price. Something to do with a price....

Is there a difference between lying and shielding someone from the truth for their own good?

The truth is the best thing - rip it off like a band aid and let the sucker heal. No matter how you play it, it's going to hurt. Let them deal with it as soon as possible (time healing all wounds and all :P)

... Would you consider dating a merperson?

Honest to God guys I don't think it would work. I just don't, We're dreaming people.

* Just wanted to add I'm one of the 'happy for canon ships' people (in this show anyway) and I'm thoroughly ashamed every time I read a review. My sincerest apologies.
More+
Flag
I just love Pan so much, he's an amazing villain!
Flag
Yes, Ariel's story was always a story of a girl who develops a crush on a guy she's never met, stalks him for a little while, rescues him when he's unconscious, and then does everything she can to give up the life she'd always known just to be with him.

I think that's the plot of the original HCA story as well. I know that's the plot of the movie!

If anything, this episode, by eliminating the underwater scenes, downplayed her stalker tendencies. This way, we don't see the life she was giving up, and we're free to imagine that she had a Cinderella-like existence, abused at home and hoping to escape to a life on land with the guy she has a crush on... rather than having a father and friends that love her and would probably never see her again if she became human behind everybody's backs.
Flag
I love Joanna Garcia as Ariel but I agree they gimped her character quite a bit by only briefly hinting that she wasn't actually just boy crazy. While Once has done a great job of recreating Princesses like Snow, they took already quite complex and fleshed out Disney Princesses like Belle and Ariel and made them into caricatures of themselves.

But it's the first episode, and she's probably going to stick around for most of the rest of the season, if not longer. We know she's getting more backstory. Which is good, since she's close to my favourite character at the moment since she seems so fresh and wide eyed compared to the rest of the cast. I think the reason she was chosen to go back to Storybrooke is that she represents the positive spirit of Fairy Tales that the show is trying to capture, which a lot of people forget about when they obsess over the twisted Grimm Endings(or HCA's original ending to the Mermaid tale).
Flag
If anything annoyed me about this episode, it wasn't the set up love triangle (I think it's a little obvious who's the weakest link in the Emma-Hook-Neal thing), but how Emma directly told Neal she wanted to get over him, and he basically replied, "LOL, nope, I'm never gonna let you go or be rid of me." Like, shit, Neal, find another girl. Preferably not somebody who spills coffee on you, that's a no-no.
But, holy shit, I can see why Ariel fell in love at first sight, that Prince Eric is quite lovely.
Flag
I really really hope we get to see more of Ariels backstory. Hopefully she won't have a happy ever after with her prince after the next episode.

Emma can't really be upset that her parents want another child? A lot of people have more than one child.. That was kind of a stupid secret.

How are they going to get Charming off the island? Hopefully they won't.

Is there a difference between lying and shielding someone from the truth for their own good? No.
Flag
I was also kind of disappointed in Snow's "secret"... but maybe in Snow's case, the "secret" wasn't so much a secret, as it was her coming to grips with a lie that she's been telling herself.

I like to think that, "I want another baby" wasn't the secret, rather, "I HATE that I missed out on being a mother!" I think Snow just didn't want to admit that a) she did miss out with Emma (I think she's been in denial for a while), and b) she hates it.
Flag
Snow wanted all the baby moments he didn't get to see with Emma- maybe the part Emma's going to feel bad about is that her mom wasn't there for her? (Old news, guys- get over it) OR that Snow will have a stronger maternal bond with the child she actually raises? (That might keep Snow from trying to mother Emma, so that might actually be ok- I like them as comrades better, so win for me!)
Flag
Lily, are you still working on that swan queen article or did you move on from it?
Flag
Didn't like this ep. but your review made up for it. but then Ariel pulled out her dinglehopper and SHANKED REGINA IN THE NECK! I am crying from laughing.
Flag
Hilarious as always. I am sick to death of them shoving the "romance" down our throats too. Completely agree with everything you said (including your interpretation of Regina leaving. <3).
Flag
I thought her Ursula impersonation was on point! Definitely. I was not 100% convinced of the Ariel storyline considering she's my favorite princess but I'll buy into it just because I'm so happy they finally put her on the show. I was not a big fan of who they chose for Prince Eric at all but then again having a childhood crush on a cartoon most of your childhood is hard standards to live up to.

I have definitely become a EmHook (sure?) Shipper for reals, Hook has been one of the more intriguing characters for me on the show and a breath of fresh air that he doesn't have a perm and nose the size of Jupiter for once!
Flag
"Captain Swan" is the better name, imo; EmHook sounds kinda creepy even when I know what you're talking about
Flag
When Ursula/Regina showed up I was almost excpecting her to start singing ;)
Flag
The "dark secret" of Snow.. why would it be so dark to want a child??? Ever.
(And no, why would it be a stab in the heart for Emma to have a little brother/sister?? OK, it's a bit late, but it's great to have brothers and sisters.)

Regarding real secrets: if the writers wanted to make some mess for realz, Snow could have told Charming how his mother had actually died ("Lady of the Lake": she gave the healing water to Snow, because of the infertility curse).
But it seems, Snow can keep her own secrets... ;)
Flag
Maybe they're saving that one for getting Charming off the island!
Flag
Because Snow only wants to be a mother to a child.
Flag
Um, hello? Community's Yvette Nicole Brown as the real Ursala!?! Anyway, episode was alright. Glad we are going back to Storybrooke next week. As for Ariel... oh my. I was getting myself all ready to be super disappointed, but nope. I loved her (I have a not so secret mermaid fetish). Hope she sticks around for awhile! Oh yeah, David is the worst, leave him in Neverland already.
Flag
Regina never looked better and can't forget Ariel and those eggs looked delish!!
Flag
"An ignorant family is a happy family" Hahaha! You killed me here!

So...
... Did Ariel get short shrift with her backstory? Where were the underwater scenes? No Sebastian? Was she a lame-ass stalker or awesome? Be prepared to show your work.
=> Actually, Ariel-the-stalker is quite close to the original "little mermaid" (the tale from HC Andersen, you know, the one where the cute little mermaid dies while her prince marries someone else, and is a metaphor for the author's forbidden homosexual desires... great tale by the way!). What was kinda great with Disney's little mermaid was that they'd managed to give Ariel some substance, with her obsession of the human world. Now, in this episode, OUAT managed to take it away... *sighs*

=> Definitely sensuous!

... Are you excited that Regina teamed up with Rumple, or will you miss her interactions with the Charmings?
=> I like their potential, but I'm certainly gonna miss the dynamic that was starting there with Regina teasing the charmings and mocking their "goody-two-shoes" way of seeing life.

... Did Snow basically stab Emma in the heart by saying she wanted to have a baby, or like duh, of course they should have another baby why not?
=> I think Emma should feel very complicated things regarding to this news, but since the writers are simply NOT capable of writing it, and Morrison is definitely NOT capable of playing it, so the only "issue" here will be "Ok, but how can we make a baby if we're on two different worlds?"

... Is "fertile" the most disgusting adjective of all time? ("Moist" is also pretty bad.)
=> Probably not. Maybe you have a problem with maternity? But the fact that a TEENAGER says this to a man in his forties is disturbing!

=> Hopefully they won't, Charming and Snow will be apart, and this freaking "romantic" music will stop!!!

... Is there a difference between lying and shielding someone from the truth for their own good?
=> Yes. If I told OUAT's writers that they are capable of creating deep, credible characters, I'd be lying. If I just did not comment on it, I would spare them a hard, painful truth.
More+
Flag
" And then Regina said very sadly that the only thing worse than telling someone you love them and being rejected was not being able to tell them at all...announcing your dark secret of loving someone, the way Hook had the opportunity to do, is actually way more freeing and empowering"
huh. i didn't even think to link the two at all which makes me dumbfounded.

However I did get the parallel of Pan telling Rumple that Belle was fertile (it certainly didn't affect me the same was because of Pan's purpose in bringing it up and his delivery.) and Snow saying she wanted new kids. They both F--ed up their kids lives and instead of spending more energy trying to fix it as it causes them more heartbreak and guilt they can get new shiny kids. (While Emma , Regina, and I feel like I should say Hook , are the ones fully going after Henry full steam ahead. (I have no faith in Neal.))

Yes i was so WTF about those dresses. It can only make sense if it was a guest designer, like some producer's kid or it paid homage to this number:

I couldn't be as upset as you are about Ariel's portrayal. (For one thing she wasn't to be a love interest for Hook that i was fearing all summer.) As extremely awesome as Disney's The Little Mermaid is, it was totally due to the array of supporting actors and thus their musical numbers that made it so great. Ariel herself was soo not a great chick, who leapt before thinking, and quickly gave up security and family to chase a guy she had voyeuristic tendencies for. Her lucklusterness was only succeeded by Eric, who was just an incredible simpleton bad at guessing games, who couldn't even save the girl since it was Ariel and her father who saved their asses.
If Ariel is to become a mainish character, I want Sebastian and Scuttle.

I know Lana has always been emulating a bit of Ursula and so I know she wouldn't want to give that role up, but I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't a new character. Really Ursula to me isn't the Evil Queen. She is what would happen if Rumplestilskin and Regina got melded together.

More+
Flag
Ha I love your thought that the horrible dresses may be paying homage to that scene in the Little Mermaid :)
Flag
First of all let me just say that your review CRACKED ME UP! I too was a big Little Mermaid fan. I have to say that I think they're doing a good job of integrating a character into the storyline that has to be difficult to integrate considering the world she comes from. I would like to see Sebastian appear at some point - hey if they can do Jiminy Cricket - why not Sebastian? Maybe he'll appear as a human in Storybrooke along with Eric - just as Jiminy does. That would be COOL! A Jamaican musician :-) Anyway - I think they did a good job casting Ariel. I was a bit disappointed with Eric in that cartoon Eric never seemed to be this perfectly manicured prince - he wore that lose shirt most of the time and had the unkept wavy hair. Maybe the Eric in Storybrooke will be...less stuffy. Regina as Ursula was PRICELESS. I ADORE Regina. I've been SO amused this season watching her frustration at having to hang around with the goody twoshoes Charmings and her comment about Pan as an annoying teenager was hilarious. In last week's episode she seemed SO relieved when Emma allowed her to take that kid's heart and in this last episode it was GREAT to see her teaching Emma magic. I would love to see more scenes like those and I would like to see Emma eventually go REALLY dark with her magic when some horrific tragedy strikes only to eventually find a middle ground. The series has shown that good people embrace darkness and the full power of magic when they are overwhelmed by pain or fear (Regina, Rumple and even Snow). The hard part seems to be to come away from that darkness while still retaining the full power of magic. Regina and Rumple have both tried to go cold turkey and have failed. Perhaps the real way in which Emma will prove to be a savior is by going to where Regina and Rumple are and then showing them that it is possible to regain your humanity again. Regina and Rumple sometimes kill indiscriminately with no regrets. Snow killed for a very good reason but was overwhelmed by regret. I think Emma is a character that can embrace a more realistic, morally justifiable path in which she doesn't use magic to kill indiscriminately but doesn't hesitate when a loved one or innocent is in danger. Anyway - great season so far.
More+
Flag
Pan eating eggs then saying Belle was fertile was just super gross.
Flag
I liked the actress that played Ariel... at least she looks the part. But, I didn't like that she was so stupid to fall for Regina's plan at the first place, I am talking about actually believing that Snow would want to become a mermaid without even asking her. Aside that, some poorly written dialogues in this episode, and the fact that present time Snow managed to have a much visible haircut whilst still in Neverland jungle, I liked this episode.
Flag
I absolutely love your reviews!! And I agree that the clothing at the ball was completely out of place. It shocked me the moment I saw it, just felt wrong.
Flag
Why Emma has magic. Emma is a product of true love... true love is the most powerfull magic...
Flag
I personally cracked up when Pan said fertile. I laughed so hard I missed the next scene, tho it wasn't an ep that required strict attention. I also found myself thinking Ariel is the smartest chick on the show just for doing what no idiot confronted with evil on this show has done: pretending to run away and then stabbing Regina with her stolen dinglehopper. Another scene where I spent minutes just rolling with laughter.

Regina telling Rumple that killing him was her job was awesome as well.

I have a problem tho with the premise of next weeks ep. Regina give Ariel the cuff that can't be taken off to walk to Rumples shop and get his spooky magic whatever to hurt Pan. How is Ariel supposed to get back to neverland if she no longer has a tail?
Flag
How is Ariel supposed to get back to neverland if she no longer has a tail?

Who ever puts bracelot on, can later remove it but nobody else can remove it for you, thus your question is answered if she ever wants to go back, but honestly if i was a girl i'd stay, prince is quite a catch :D
Flag
How is Ariel supposed to get back to neverland if she no longer has a tail?

Totally missed that connection. I guess she's stuck in Storybrooke? If Eric's there, then why would she want to leave again? Let's face it...she'd be ready to ditch all of them for Eric in a flipper swipe. If that's the path the writer's are going to take, then it really is up to Belle to get them off the island (oh hell...).
Flag
In flashback Ariel put bracelot on Snowhite and later she removed it, but snowhite couldn't remove it, queen then said only person who put it can remove it. I am assuming that's same piece of jewelery since it looks the same and does same thing but vise versa :D
Flag
I think the bracelet can't be removed by the wearer; but maybe it doesn't have to be the person who put it on who takes it off.
Flag
He only has to take it off if he's willing to let her leave, and she's willing to go- sounds like a win all the way around.
Flag
Yea you are actually right, my bad, thought since she removed it from snowhites arms that one who put it only can take it, wasn't really paying attention i guess, but maybe Prince then can take it off and she can go back to neverland?
Flag
Ariel is hot. That is all.
Flag
If I were Rumpel, I would've eaten the eggs. They looked scrumptious! And it's not like he has plenty of breakfast options on the island.

Speaking of an island, in the beginning, some people were referring to OUAT as "the new Lost" (every now and then someone has to say that about some show, it's an unwritten rule on television). Well, now there's even an island, it's magic and it has its own special water from its magical spring.

About Pan seducing Rumpel, well, maybe he was vulnerable because he's a Taylor Swift fan? Oh, no, that was bad, forget I went there.

Next time I see a beautiful girl, I'll try that line, because in OUAT it works. "Hey, I think I know you. Because I've seen your face in a dream. Yep, and I love you. Do you wanna travel with me?" What could possibly go wrong?

Prince Eric has an open-door administration of his kingdom. Apparently anyone can enter his formal parties (I was going to say "balls" but no way that would sound OK) considering how Snow and Ariel got in uninvited.

It's funny, perhaps hilarious, seeing adult, experienced actors putting real emotion and trying to make convincing the most illogical reactions. The writers always give them a hard time!

So, setting aside the ridiculousness of the impulsiveness of Ariel's attitude (he fell madly in love with someone she never spoke with and is ready to give up her world and travel with a stranger who "saw her in a dream," etc), I really admire JoAnna Garcia's work with the character, The actress certainly has that "how can you NOT like her" factor, and that makes it so much easier to fall in love and rooting for the character. I think she's the kind of actress who makes a character adorable and appealing for both a male and a female audience. I wanna see more of Ariel now.
More+
Flag
Please check out my review of Ariel and give me feedback!
lostboy3.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/the-season-of-peter-pan-ariel-review.html
Flag
I am excited to see Regina and Rumple together but I will miss Regina's comments and such when she was with the Charmings. I am sure that Hook and EMma both will miss her occasionally.

... How are they going to get Charming off the island? I am sure that a deal with be made OR somehow by binding Pan (or whatever Rumple and Regina have planned) will somehow nullify it. Or what if they leave charmings shadow in Neverland? Would that work?
... Is there a difference between lying and shielding someone from the truth for their own good? It depends on what you define "their own good" as. I really felt that David was more concerned about how Emma's reaction to that news would affect the group and Henry-not her. Hats off to Hook for coming clean about Neal. He is my fave character in that group now. Definitely team Hook.

Flag
I usually like these reviews. They are entertaining in their own right.

HOWEVER....

..Enough about the eyeliner! The guy can wear whatever the hell he want's without you needing to make a stab at his masculinity every step of the way! It seems to me a typical double standard that you on the one hand ship girl-on-girl action and in the next paragraph adhere to outdated gender roles - get over it! Please!
Flag
I agree with your stance on outdated gender roles and double standards. However, I don't think we need a whole lot of eyeliner to make Hook a pirate, which is where I agree with Lily (and everyone else who complains about it from time to time). Colin O'Donoghue is a fantastic actor and, just as Robert Carlyle has proven, he doesn't need extra makeup all the time to create his character. Carlyle hasn't had any makeup (minus the weird tribal face thing...) while in Neverland and he's still done an excellent job of portraying Rumplestiltskin with his mannerisms. Yes, he's more than free to wear whatever makeup he chooses...just a little less of it is all I'm asking.
Flag
So Regina is going to impersonate every evil character ever portrayed in fairy tales? Really?
And seriously: WTF is going on with Pan's eyebrows moving all the time??? Enough with it already!
And I waited so long for the Little Mermaid episode that it was bound to happen: this episode was an utter disappointment.
Flag
Who else has she been?
Flag
My answers

... I was waiting for Sebastian too!!! I hope that the writers get more in to her backstory
... sensuous of course. I love this Pan!!! (I always hated the "traditional" one...)
... I'm not sure. I mean Regina-Rumple team is amazing!!! but I laugh a lot with the anti-chemistry with the charmings... please!!!
... I think that she don't care
... I think that charming is most disgusting
... who cares!!!
... absolutely NO
... never ever nnnnnnnnnnnnnnop!!
Flag
For me this was more a Regina episode then Ariel...
Loved that she is back again. It was getting annoying to watch being with Charming camp hahahahaha all this time....i really hope she and Rumpel will 'Hook' up and be two badasses and kick some Pan ass.
That boy is really annoying, but love the actor they have chosen for that role, as he plays it very well....
Telling your darkest secrets..Hook confessing his kiss..that was so cute..
I would be pissed at Charming too if i was Snow..i mean keeping a secret is something, but not telling that you cannot leave the island, is completely two differents things...
Ok, Ariel...she reminded me of Amy Adams of Enchanted, or is it just me...??
Her dress at the ball was awful..that go's also for Snow and the Prince..terrible just terrible...anyways...forgetting that moment...
Loved Regina as Ursula...Just loved it!!!!
For a moment i thought i really didn't like this Ariel, when she left Snow with the Evil Queen Regina...but then she saved her again, and that was cool!!
PS: Loved that Rumpel was all this time tricked by Pan, pretending to be Belle...that was awesomely done and then finding it out through Regina..while he is the Dark One..he should have sensed it at least..
More+
Flag
The timeline is all screwed up on this show. Is this pre-Charming? I didn't think there was ever a big separation. But Snow seems awfully enamored of True Love or 'at first sight' for not having experienced it. I can buy her character being obsessed with it anyway, but she still seems awfully cavalier about having cost Regina what was considered her TL at the time.

The 'catch of the day' scene made me question whether Regina even really wants Snow dead, versus just separating her from her eventual TL as some sort of poetic justice, perhaps with other emotional suffering thrown in. Otherwise she could have easily dispatched her right there, before getting dinglehoppered.

In the Rumple Regina scene it almost seemed as if the student had become the master. Regina is certainly made of sterner stuff than pre-Dark One Rumple. I loved how she just cut through all the BS right away. Rumple's cave of echoes.

I agree that all this world-hopping makes the original premise for the Curse seem needlessly convoluted, but I wonder whether it's because our realm is 'without magic'. Like Rumple needed a way to establish this foothold and bring magic to the place (Storybrooke) before realm-hopping would be more reliable. Because with the Pegasus feathers, I assumed Hook and brother weren't from our world, precisely.
More+
Flag
As always, the question when Regina has Snow at her mercy in FTL is, why doesn't she just stick her hand into Snow's chest and remove her heart? Not to crush it, necessarily, but to make Snow do what she wants.
Flag
Without your heart, you don't feel; or at least not that much (cf Cora handing Rumple her heart) So it wouldn't be nearly so painful for Snow. And the pain was the "fun" part of the revenge.
Now, Regina wants Snow to keep her heart so that it can eventually turn completely black, which wouldn't happen if it was removed.
Flag
that happend when rample met bell. it was before charming and before the dwarves. snow saw real love in regina and danielle.
Flag
so, who here wants a fake reality show called "Camping with the Charmings"? it could be something like the bear grylls show, but with fairy dust and hentai sea women and stuff!
Flag
First things first: Team Hook all the way!!!

Then, I have to say I really look forward to Rumpelstiltskin and Regina teaming up. As fun as watching her demeaning Charming is, well... I want to see some classic Regina action, plus I'm a bit worried about Rumple getting kind of depressed. She's just what he needs to go back to his former conniving charming self.
The Ariel story could have been handled better, sure, but they could have done worse too. The writers managed to keep the most important passages yet they reinvented in a "convincing" way the Ariel/Eric story managing to give us an interesting cliffhanger in the process. Not too shabby.

Oh, and as for the rest of it, finally every secret is out in the open... I was sick and tired of the will-or-won't-Charming-tell-MaryMargareth? (frankly, I haven't been invested in their characters AT ALL for a loooooong time.
Sure, the "I want to have another baby" revelation must have been hurtful to Emma, but it was somehow to be expected, After all, Snow wants a perfect family, perfect life, perfect kingdom, and waking up one day to find out your toddler is a grown woman has messed her perfect happy ending... Frankly, with each episode I'm tempted to ship to team Regina! Sure she's evil, but at least she's not annoying!!!
Let's face it: the villains are the only thing that makes this show worth the while. Should I be sympathetic to Snow and Charming or most of the Emma story? Frankly, I find myself relating to Hook and Regina (and their struggle to find some human connection despite their tragic history) more and more, while I'm finding harder with each episode to care about Snow's egotistical issues.
More+
Flag
Ariel is the cutest and bubbliest princess so far. My favorite so far.
Flag
Staff
She is quite literally the bubbliest (couldn't help myself)
Flag
I KNOW!!!
Flag
(Hey, I hope it didn't sound like I was yelling or angry, just enthusiastic about the irony instead.)
Flag
Staff
I got you mad-pac no worries :*
Flag
I feel like the other fairy tales have been treated much more gently and organically than this.....Ariel was always "my" princess, so I admit I had high hopes, but it seemed like the show was just like HERE IS THE ARIEL EPISODE IT HAPPENED PRETTY MUCH EXACTLY LIKE THE DISNEY MOVIE BUT WITHOUT THE HAPPY ENDING BECAUSE WE NEED A PLOT without a lot of introduction or integration.
Maybe if the ending (Regina summoning Ariel) had been in the beginning, it would have felt less out of place (and it would have been told through flashbacks, like the other fairy tales were). For most, if not all, of the other fairy tales, we got to know the characters out of their stories and once they were established, we got to find out how their fairy tale tied in with the series. This gave character development and it made it seem like more of a treat to find out the OUAT version of their Disney stories.
Also, if they had maybe started Ariel's story with the actual shipwreck (they could have tied that into another plot somehow, maybe Snow was on board too or something) instead of just using exposition it would have drawn the story out and made it feel less rushed (and possibly with some actual character development.....).
That being said, I am excited to see where it goes from here; hopefully we'll see more of Ariel's backstory along the way.

Side note: when Regina is talking about "the only thing worse than telling someone you love them and being rejected was not being able to tell them at all" I think she is referring to her "true love" (Robin Hood), since she probably feels guilty about not speaking up when she had the chance.
More+
Flag
Interesting that you bring up Robin Hood. I went straight to Daniel, myself. :(
Flag
That last point of your's is good. I never thought about that but it seems fitting.

I agree with your other remarks as well. Ariel is my favourite princess too and while I liked her character, her story did seem crazy rushed and a little forced.
Flag
Oh, wow, I didn't read that scene with Regina talking to Ariel about "not being able to tell someone how you feel" in an Emma/Regina way, until you pointed it out.

Here's hoping it was actually intended that way, and not in a barfy nod to Regina/Robin Hood (like I'm worried it is).
Flag
Staff
Well at that point in the timeline Emma hadn't been born yet. But I liked to think the inclusion of that idea in an episode where Regina seemed really angry at Emma for postponing the search for their son was significant. Headcanon probably but what can I say, it makes the show better watchin'.
Flag
So I stopped watching this show mid season 2 but came back to watch it this season hoping it was a little better (and for hook haha). But once again I am finding each episode just be tedious. Why are they so afraid to move the story along at a faster pace and keep it exciting and interesting? I was expecting Neverland to be really cool and magical with tons of creative potential...yet its just been standing around some trees....

What's going to happen next season? Another long mission with various bumps in the road to draw it out as long as possible? Sigh.
Flag
Yeah, the jungle is getting tedious. Specially cause I don't think the set's all that big and they really are just walking in circles on the green stage. It's times like this when I wish OUAT would give up some of the drama and just embrace the campy nature of what it is, like a cameo by the Tiki Birds. Singing birds would certainly liven up the campfire scenes.
Flag
I keep wondering where the Natives are. Yeah the whole "What made the red man red?" song was racist as shit, but it made for some fun times in the animated movie. I'm sure they could make the natives interesting if they tried. Like maybe Tiger Lily had a crush on Bae and now she's disgusted by this "Neal" person lol. Also, I'm still waiting to see if the mermaids have anything to do with Pan.
Flag
If they skip the part with Ariel in Storybrook and tie it up with a "oh, here's the thing Ariel brought back, she did a good job." Imma gonna be pissed!
Flag
Nevermind, I just saw the promo. Huzzah!
Flag
Okay, why no mentions of the "Agrabbah" with Jasmine in the background comment from Prince Eric?

Also -- why aren't more people crying over the HORRIBLE CGI???
Flag
Staff
It is HIGH TIME Jasmine and her tiger showed up. I would be so stoked!
The thing is we've been enduring horrible CGI so long with this show it's like another major character. Awkward Cgi, the rascally underdog.
Flag
This whole show is horrible CGI. Complaining about that is like complaining about Charming and Snow's annoying and hypocritical do-gooder attitude. After a while it just becomes far too tedious and time consuming.
Flag
Oh my god yes! I heard him say Agrabah and I got so excited! Bring on Aladdin and Jasmine!
Flag
Does that mean a cameo from Jafar in Wonderland?
Flag
Oh I don't know, I don't watch Wonderland. Should I? Is it good?
Flag
I haven't watched it either. It's on my list, but I find myself watching too much TV this season so I haven't touched it yet. Jafar looks interesting in the previews though lol
Flag
The salient point, the point we should all hold onto with regard to this exchange, is that she wishes Neal were dead. Me too, girl, me too.

Ha ha ha, that is exactly what I thought when Emma was telling him all that crap. Hopefully she'll hold onto those feelings.

Also, I just realized Kitsis and Horowitz wrote this episode, so, no wonder it sucked. It's amazing that the showrunners of this show write the worst episodes, but they really do.
Flag
And what was with Neil's after this revelation? He's not the least bit put out?
Emma: 'You might want to win me back and all, but I wish you were dead.' Neil: Huge hug. I mean, he heard the admissions, right? She kissed another guy who admits he's in love with her, and Neil's as confident as can be. Pay attention, Neil. Pay attention. Baby Momma's movin' on.
Flag
Ha, yeah, unlike us, Neal focused on the other part of what Emma said. Dummy.
Flag
If he said anything else, Emma might have pushed him off the cliff!
Flag
For an opening episode debuting a character that will stick around for a couple more episodes, yes...short shrift indeed. My guess is that we'll see some underwater scenes next episode since she ends up in Storybrooke via the East Australian Current. If they're going to give her more backstory, then, yes, bring on Aquaman's sidekick understudies! I'm kinda torn on the last question as she was kinda both in the Disney movie as well (but it's a kid's movie, we love it, and justify it away).

It's like imagining Sylar watch you sleep. He just sits there and decides not to slice your head open like a can of Spaghettios. You're not sure whether to laugh or cry.

It's what I've waited for since her training days with Rumple and I LOVE that she called him "imp"!! It made my little Grimm's Fairy Tales heart dance. I will miss her interactions with the Charmings only because she's been the constant voice of reason this whole family vaca.

Eh, kinda. If I were Emma, I wouldn't think much about it especially since I've viewed my "parents" as my best friends for the last 2 years. The parental traits MM and David try to convey with Emma come off as sisterly/brotherly rather than somewhat authoritative. Sure, make another baby...wait...would this be the 3rd Savior, then? Maybe this baby could save us from uneventful storylines and gaping plotholes. Just maybe...

In the presence of people who know how to use the word with laughing, no. From the mouth of a tweenage Voldemort, yes.

Do we have to? Why can't he and Snow be like Will and Elizabeth? They'd still get to see each other, but it might be a lil while in between.

... Is there a difference between lying and shielding someone from the truth for their own good?
I'd like to think so, but I mostly think that because I'm a momma. My husband and I don't flat out lie to our kids, but we do sugarcoat some things (c'mon...they're 6, 2, and 8 months...they'll be ok). I had a friend not be honest with me recently until I prompted her a couple more times and her reason for not doing so was to save me unnecessary hurt. That doesn't fly with me so I definitely agreed with Snow on this one. However, I didn't agree with everyone going after Neal right away. Dude's an adult, Henry's 11. Go after the 11 year old first, morons!!

... Would you consider dating a merperson?
As long as his name isn't Aquaman.
More+
Flag
Do we have to? Why can't he and Snow be like Will and Elizabeth? They'd still get to see each other, but it might be a lil while in between.

LOL I second this. Absence makes the heart grow fonder Snow!
Flag
Hahaha "teenage Voldemort" :D
Flag
*without laughing...:sigh:
Flag
Hey were lucky we got Ariel at all considering the budget. And I'm guessing they'll get back by the Blue Fairy sending Pixie Dust to Tinker Bell to fly everyone home.
Flag
Felicitous. Now that I know what Felicity is apparently about, felicitous is the worst adjective.
Flag
I was looking forward to this episode because Ariel was my favorite Disney character. But, this episode didn't do her or her story justice. I agree, where is the underwater stuff? I would have liked to see some sort of backstory and where she came from instead of the quick love at first sight/stalker story she had to deal with. The scenes with her and Eric were horrible, no emotion, just reading right from a script that a kindergartener probably wrote. Even though her intro into the show wasn't great this week, I'm hoping they will improve her character since I have such high hopes for Ariel.
As for the rest of the episode... I liked the cave of echoes, the truths themselves weren't dark, but it at least got some things out in the open. I am liking hook more and more every episode; I like him and Emma together a lot more than her and Neil. Ugh Neil, why couldn't he just be stuck in another realm somewhere where no one can find him.
I'm excited for next week; Ariel going back to storybook sounds pretty promising.
Another great review this week!
Flag
Yeah, I had issues with the cave logic. Hook's thing wasn't so much a secret as a self-realization. Does that really count? And Snow's secret was a very backhanded way of saying she was disappointed in Emma, which I figured would be the secret, and thus create exciting tension to be explored in growing interpersonal relationships later on. Charming and Emma were the only ones with secrets remotely legit.
Flag
Yeah, I thought Snow's secret was a very logical way to feel and not really shock worthy. Even though she loves and is still bonding with Emma, it's not the same as raising a child, she missed out on all the milestones. And since Emma is a mother who is now doing the same with Henry (a little easier though since he's still a child.) I feel like she understands. Originally, I thought Snow's secret was going to have to do with the dark spot on her heart. Like maybe she's had dark thoughts recently or something.
Flag
I think OUAT writers have forgotten the dark spot plot line. Made it sound like this terrible, threatening thing, and then they've never referenced it again. But who knows, Snow still has to get Charming off that Island. Maybe she'll be the one who kills Pan?
Flag
Ooh THAT would be interesting. Especially since he's a child. Snow would be all kinds of fucked up. Bring on drunk, belligerent, and crying Snow!
Flag
Soft and wet
(How we like 'em in the front?) Soft and wet
(My homeboys in the back, how you like 'em?) Soft and wet
(Pump it up, pump it up, pump it up) Soft and wet
Soft is the feeling of your baby-smooth skin
Wet is the feeling that says, "Let the Hammer in"
Soft and sexy, you got it that way
Wet is what happens when we both start to play

Flag
Staff
WHAT.
Flag
I'm just going to pretend that's a literal question and answer accordingly. In 1978, Prince release a single called "Soft and Wet". In 1990, MC Hammer sampled it on for the song "She's Soft and Wet" on the album "Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em", the album that included the hit song "U Can't Touch This".
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members