An Once Upon a Time Community
Sunday 8:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 25, 2016)

Once Upon a Time S03E07: "Dark Hollow"

Should I pour the champagne or do you want to? I feel like celebrating. And not just because I realized who the Darling boys were the moment I saw that teddy bear rearview mirror decoration. Just, like, I feel like we should celebrate the Hook-Emma-Neal triangle kind of dissolving into its own silliness within one episode. You may say it’s too soon to pronounce the Hook-Neal-Emma love triangle dead, maybe I’m too optimistic (and goodness knows I’m too, too thirsty). But Hook and Neal arguing back and forth over who would light a candle in a coconut to the extent they ended up in a "woop woop"  Three Stooges fight? BOTH OF THEM immediately getting pinned up in trees and getting purple nurples from teen shadow demons?! Have you ever laughed harder?!

I always like to imagine a business tourist from like Serbia or Korea something tucking in for the night in their Doubletree hotel room and turning their TV on to see this, context free:

Haha! That’s horrifying. I’m sorry.

Emma and Hook’s smooch and Neal and Emma’s bad romance have been triangulating on the show for a while and this episode really forced the issue to a boiling point. Well, technically Hook forced the issue, boasting to Neal about his "dalliance" with Emma’s lips. He then had a super breathy conversation with Emma about how he would win her, but he wouldn’t fight dirty for her, because he believes in good form, mate! (How can you not cherish Hook as a character? He has the pure, earnest love of a guy in middle school who has a really intense crush and wears only black T-shirts and is maybe learning guitar.) 

Then cruel circumstance literally triangulated both of her beaux: Neal and Hook were pinned into two trees equidistant from Emma, and were relentlessly diddled by wraiths. With time to save only one of them, the audience was forced to ask: Would she choose to save Neal or Hook from the shadow wraiths?

In this moment of truth, Emma curled up in a ball and thought of Regina.

Look, I don’t make the news, I just report it! Hungry Eyes and Deadbeat Dad fell out of their trees once the coconut shell candle was suddenly, magically lit, and they were all, "How did you do that?" and Emma whispered "Reeeegggiiiiiinnnna" into the wind like a prayer. Emma then pulled herself together and further clarified she was #TeamHenry #TeamResponsibleParenting #NoMoreDrama #CoolItDudes. This was also what she told Snow when Snow tried to have a hot gossip sesh in the woods and was all, "Those two both have feelings for you and that’s dangerous! Oooooh my gosh they should call this place Temptation Island amirite?!" and Emma was like, "Focus, mom, focus: Henry could be dead." Good for Emma, because Henry is about to take a field trip to a Skull Shaped island so Pan can rip his heart out, so shake a leg guys.

Snow did get a chance to talk to Charming about why he was dead wrong for not telling her he’d drank healing waters that would forever bind him to Neverland, in a fight that was basically about how much they loved each other.

You guys are adorable. Quick theory, will Snow and Charming stay on Neverland in a tree house and adopt all the Lost Boys to raise once Pan inevitably is conquered? Are there any Lost Baby Boys? The dwarves (and everyone else, I imagine) would not mind if the Charmings took a little bit of a hiatus from Storybrooke, that much is clear. Did y’all catch Happy sighing (happily) about how few people had been killed in the last five days and how he was enjoying Snow and Charming being on vacay? Haha, Happy you are two-faced frenemy and there will be a reckoning.

Still, wasn’t it fun to check in on Storybrooke? I absolutely loved going back the five days to when the Jolly Roger blooped into the ocean. It was simply awesome hearing Belle tell the Blue Fairy that Rumplestiltskin asked HER to cast the spell that would enclose Storybrooke in Stephen King’s Dome. The Blue Fairy looked butt-hurt. 

I guess that’s what you get when you use your magic to re-cast hot guys with child actors, beeyotch! Anyway, Ariel, who had gotten the necessary supplies for magical legs from Rumple and Regina, made it across the waters betwixt realms in, like, an hour? Twenty minutes? She strolled up on shore and asked the dwarves where she could find Belle, and Grumpy was like, "Follow the trail of burger wrappers."

J/K, Belle was so hurt Rumple didn’t ask her to board the Jolly Roger that she’d turned down four burgers in four days! (Did she order them, then turn them away? Or Granny just saw her coming and slapped a patty on the grill... four days in a row?) Relationship drama can send your appetite straight down a slippery Crocodile Mile straight to hell, girl. All Belle'd had the strength to do the last five days was put on her tights and 5" platform heels, go down to Granny’s, and shake her head when Granny put a burger in front of her—which was still technically more helpful than anything the Blue Fairy was up to (setting her fingerwave curls while Amy Acker unsmilingly paints her toenails).

Ariel had rolled up to Storybrooke with a Sand Dollar from Rumple that somehow Belle knew to pour liquor on. (Did I miss something there? How did she know?) At the touch of fiery alcohol, a holographic image of Rumple in his extremely Deep-V pantsuit appeared out of the Sand Dollar, and Rumple told Belle to find an important object in his shop by thinking of the strength of their love. 

As she and Ariel poked around, Ariel was all "Look at this stuff!" ("Isn’t it neat?" everyone said in their living rooms. The echo was deafening. If Disney programmed us to become super soldiers with subliminal messages in their movies, that might be the activation phrase.) It was a humorous reference, and I have to say this episode in general was full of weird, self-effacing humor, from Granny pushing burgers on Belle, to Happy’s gleeful trashtalk, to Grumpy mentioning Red’s outfits being "seared" into his memory (miss you, Red). Anyway, just as Belle found Chip and used Chip to find the latest macguffin, the Darling Boys broke in with a gun, took the bedazzled Hellraiser puzzle box that Rumple needed, and tied the girls up. Hilariously, Ariel did not know what a gun was. ("Wait, why are we doing what they say?" she asked, tied to a chair.)

Thankfully, two minutes of conversation in the mine between the four of these adorable doofuses cleared everything up. No one had to hold anyone at gunpoint after all! The Darling boys were not working at cross-purposes with Belle and Ariel. They were enslaved by Pan, they had to do his bidding in this world, because he still has Wendy. So how did they know to head for Storybrooke even before Pan knew someone had left the island? How did Pan know to send them to thwart Rumple’s plan before Rumple officially had a plan? Don’t worry about it. Hey, Wendy!

Because Peter Pan is a master manipulator who is simply not satisfied unless he is controlling people in multiple dimensions like so many wooden marionettes, he staged an elaborate ruse to make fugitive Henry (who had run away from Lost Boy Sleepaway Camp earlier) feel like Wendy was dying on the island from a lack of magic. Now Henry is in league with Pan to restore magic, if only to save the 110-year-old girl’s life. Okay, cool. Elaborate, but cool.

So they’ve got Pan's wraith in a coconut shell (which apparently ISN’T a star map?), Tinker Bell is now on board, Rumple and Regina have their evil puzzle box, and Ariel is headed back to Storybrooke to find Eric. Intrigued! It looks like things are coming to a head! Now I just have a few questions...

QUESTIONS:

... Please explain the Darling situation to me. Wendy has been on the island since childhood, the Darling boys are aged like 15 years and look roughly 20s in the present day, so... huh?

... Do you think the mid-season finale will involve characters asking the audience to break the fourth wall and clap their hands and believe to save Henry?

... Does Pan intend on ripping out Henry’s heart or killing him another way?

... Are you super psyched for Emma and Regina bringing down the moon?

... Hook/Emma/Neal: Is this triangle shelved officially or just heating up?

... How’re Snow and Charming going to figure out Charming’s situation?

... Have you ever refused four burgers?

... What'd you think of "Dark Hollow"?

227 Comments
Comments (227)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well, I tried to stay calm but after this episode I simply had enough. This love triangle is getting on my last nerve and it has to stop.
  1. What the hell is going on with Emma????? First we watch her telling Neal (basically out of nowhere) that she loves him while he is falling through the portal and to support that statement, we see telling Snow and David that she actually always loved him and how "pissed" she is over the fact that she lost him again. I must say, I really tried to get used to the idea of Neal and Emma having (another) thing going on once they find him but all my efforts went to waste after witnessing her making out with Neal`s “almost Step-Dad” and telling him (Neal) that she wished he was dead one/two episodes later. WHAT??!! What are the writers doing with that girl?????
  2. Hook: I am not buying it!! That man spent 300 years looking for revenge for the loss of his girlfriend and is now trying to tell us that he is over it (and her) because of the feelings he developed for the girl he was willing to let die during the almost-destruction of Storybrook. Please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know the whole group has been in Neverland for only a couple of days!!!!!!! How on earth can you go from “letting the town and Emma blow up” to “I will win your heart” within 5 days?????
There are a bunch of things I would like to say about Neal but I think it is best to not even go there since there are so many. The man is a mess! His love confession was even less convincing than Emma`s
That whole triangle (in MY opinion) was designed to serve one purpose and that is to keep Hook´s character on the show. The only connection he had to the plot/other characters would have disappeared, eventually either by killing Rumple or by getting killed while trying, so they had to build another one. I really do like Colin O´Donoghue as Hook and I would have made him a regular too but not by making him a love interest for Emma. His thing with Milah combined with poor writing makes him look like a guy with a strange fetish for the women in Neal`s life. I liked the bad Hook and I didn´t really want him to change “for the good” in the first place but I liked his soft spot for Neal/Bea. All that was said about their relationship and all we have seen so far would be totally undermined if Hook and Emma would become endgame. And although Neal isn´t my favourite character on the show, this would be just too much! I really hope that they find another man for Emma, another girl for Neal and another adventure or girl for Hook since I am really not in the mood to stand this half-baked triangle thing.
More+
Flag
I just have to say that Emma didn't say she was pissed that she lost Neal again. She was pissed that she went through all that pain, learned how to put it behind her, saw him again and had it all brought back to the forefront and THEN lost him again. Meaning she went through all that pain twice for nothing.

I never saw this as a triangle, but then I've been through that kind of hurt and betrayal where the only answers you get are none and you have to work it all out on your own. Then seeing that person again awakens both the pain and is a reminder of the better times too. It's hard to reconcile. It doesn't mean you want to rekindle a romantic relationship, it means you want answers and closure.

Emma got all the pain without the closure, basically.
Flag
Seriously how is there even a triangle? I mean, have you seen Hook? Sorry, but there is no contest for me. I'll jump Hook's bones if you're passing Emma. Also, was it just me or was there a little spark between Tinkerbell and Neil?
Flag
It's taken them 8 EPISODES to find and save Henry. I love OUAT, but the second season dwindled a bit and this season is utterly disinteresting. I really don't care about Henry, and nor am I even slightly intrigued over this "heart of the truest believer crap". Given how much utter garbage is discussed over the purity of hearts in this show (O NO MY HART HAS A BLACK SPOT NOW I EVIL) I don't see it being anything new.

Also, I've sort of had enough of Snow and Charming. They add nothing. All they do is spout repeatedly on how "good always wins" and "no emma dont go to the darkside plz". Pick it up OUAT, Seriously.
Flag
I called Wendy and Darling boys before the reveal too, though not from a teddy bear. If the Darling boys have been doing Pan's bidding outside of Neverland, they obviously have aged that much. So, they've roughly done 15 years worth of crappy gigs to him and probably were in Neverland between the gigs.

I'm still in the mood for the love triangle before they throw in Regina to mix things up.

Returning to Storybrooke was refreshing. The jungle has been rather depressing.
Flag
I think that the Darling Boys don't age like normal is because they spend time in neverland. Look at Neil, there is no way he should be as young as he is especially given that he has been outside of the storybrooke spell, but he spent time in Neverland where one does not age. So that is a pretty easy one to explain away.
I don't know what Pan has planned for Henry and I almost don't care. Pan is creepy but interesting and while Henry's situation is what has everyone scrambling and working together I am not a fan of him as a character.
I think that the Hook/Emma/Neil thing is far from over. Neil is a jerk and Hook is genuinley sweet. I would LOVE to see the writers break the mold on this one and not have Emma end up with Neil. For once can they just give us what we want? Hook and Emma please. She is jaded in a way I don't think Neil can get. Yeah they both have abandonment issues but not all abandonment is equal. Neil seems to have a stick up his ass most of the time and he is not fun at all. He isn't forgiving and seems just blah. Hook seems like a deeper character than Neil and I like him way more.

More+
Flag
I agree 100 with you. Even though Neil and Emma have history but there's no spark and where Hook seems to get her more as you said and sees that she has dark inside and loves and accepts that. Plus it is what we want.
Flag
haha it is indeed what we want :))) Neil is boring.
Flag
Yay, #BelleIsBack

To be honest I find Rumple the best character of them all and also best played one as well. And his scenes with Belle/Lacey are well done as well.

What I wonder is if whole "Henry will be my undoing" will turn out to mean Rumple will lose his powers and turn into ordinary man. seeing how he cherishes his magic losing it will be his undoing, even if it doesn't mean actual death
Flag
'undoing' can be interpreted as different things. He won't die probably..
Flag
I always thought of it as his "undoing" is his desire/need to let go of being The Dark One.
Flag
I liked this episode especially Ariel and Belle teaming up to solve mysteries...I love ALL the Princess interactions actually well Belle obviously doesn't become a princess in THIS storyline but you know what I mean.

I completely called Wendy being the one in the cage but I too got a little lost at the time continuum stuffs. Ok so like, Wendy is perpetually the same age as we saw her because she was kidnapped and taken to Neverland so she NEVER aged...ok cool. But so her bros...grow up and THEN when they reach a certain age, THEN Pan decides to go and black mail them and freeze their aging process at that exact moment? That's the best I could come up with.

The Love Triangle with Emma/Neil/Hook was a little childish this week and honestly someone mentioned below that Hook SUDDENLY has a thing for Emma I think this has been building up for awhile but Hook hasn't been exactly sentimental about it. He's been hiding it with witty banter and flirtatious jokes but you've been able to see it with various glances he's been giving to her even at the tail end of last season, me thinks.

I'm really looking forward to more Storybrooke with Ariel finding Eric! :)
More+
Flag
First I would just like to say that these reviews are one of the best parts of watching ONCE. Second, the love triangle drives me bonkers. Hook's sudden "love" for Emma. We found out in Dark Hollow that they have only been on the island for 5 days, meaning that five days ago Hook was ready to sail away and forget the rest of the town. Taking with them their means of survival, condemning the entire town to death? Including Emma. When he came back, it was for Bae. For Milah's son that he had tried to love as his own. He had no idea that the trigger had been diffused and they would now need him to get to Neverland, that was just 'coincidence'. And now five days later he is willing to fight the guy that was the reason he tried to be a good man? It does not make sense, it feels forced. And then there is Neal, I don't hate him although I feel like he is nothing like the teenage version of himself that we all view as a different person cause we call him Bae. I do feel that what he did to Emma was atrocious, and how dare he think he even deserves another chance.

More+
Flag
Hook already had some interaction with Emma, he helped her climb the beanstalk and get a bean from Hurley... I mean, the Giant. Even back then he had a "thing" for her.
Flag
Isn't it possible the Darlings didn't age because they were all in Neverland at some point? Only the brothers left before Wendy, who is captured. So they have aged a little more than she has. ?

I like Hook better now, but I still don't want him with Emma. He is just doing the same thing over again = first stealing Rumple's wife, and now his son's gf/ex.

I was really happy to see Storybrooke again and the other characters. I want more of them soon, because they've been focusing on the group on Neverland for a bit long now. It was nice to see Belle be a hero of some sorts. It made her seem less helpless and useless. :)

I loved the dress code joke regarding Ariel/Red Riding Hood. :D

I also like Ariel and I can't wait to see who Eric will be.

Regina is SO jealous! I wonder what will happen when she meets Robin Hood...

Love triangles are so tiring. Unfortunately they always happen, so I highly doubt we are going to be spared. It's only the beginning.

Perhaps something will happen when they take down Pan, that allows Charming to leave Neverland. I can't imagine they will be forced to live there forever. It doesn't seem practical for the show. Unless they will not be main characters anymore. Their stories have been kind of overused already. It would be good to see other characters more.
More+
Flag
um, is it just me who seems to think that in a show where everyone's character motivation is based in parental abandonment, Neal is totally blase about/seems to have forgotten that HOOK RAN OFF WITH HIS MOTHER???? What's going on OUAT continuity?
Flag
Staff
thats a great point. he consistently hates his dad for magic and killing him mom but is totally okay with Hook absconding with his mom, raising the question: did he even know?
also when exactly did Hook (aka the writers) decide he was in love with Emma? In Manhattan he rushes Mr. Gold and stabs him, knocking Neal and Emma into some trash cans in the process. Now he's prepared to fight for her forever. It's been less than a week in theh timeline of the show (5 days, to be precise.)
Flag
Neal definitely did know, since he found the picture of Mila on Hook's ship. He just seems...... not to care? And never raises the point to Hook that he's being a little weird/jumping generational gaps by running off with his mother and then hitting on the mother of his child????? Aren't there rules about that sort of thing?
Flag
I know right. He is too busy hating his father that he forgot to hate the mother who was really the one who abandoned him for Hook. Does Neal know it was Hook she ran away with?
Flag
Yes, he knows.Remember Hook saved him when Pans shadow took him. Then he figured it out on Hooks ship and tried to kill Hook. That was when he gave him over to the lost boys
Flag
Totally loved this episode!! So glad to see storybrook again! Cannot wait to meet prince Eric. I really love hook and would love him to end up with Emma! Cannot wait till next week
Flag
Am so glad to notice Lily's use of the word 'doofuses' - I love that word, and haven't thought of it in years. And the term encapsulates what I love about this show, so I'll title this comment ODE TO DOOFUSES:

I really enjoyed this episode, as it brought me back to some of the things that I originally found...charming. And most of that has to do with doofuses. At it's best, for me, the show is (often unintentionally) funny, and sweet, and full of uncomplicated fantasy. About 95% of the characters fit the term lovable doofuses, and I suspect that the writers are actually doofuses, too. But then they 'unintentionally' wrote a complex character (Regina ), and intentionally hired some excellent actors, and suddenly they began making noises like there were profound things going on in the show, rather than simply fun, endearing doofusery.

And I bought that, and began to expect more of the show than it's capable of delivering. (I suspect that the showrunners may have made the same mistake, as the most boring episodes tend to be when they go for profound.)

But this episode went back to celebrating doofuses, and I smiled through-out...because although I can pretend to be all sophisticated and post-modern, deep down, I'm just a doofus too :-)
More+
Flag
Agreed - doofuses are responsible for 100% of the best moments. Remember last season when the dwarves are about to plant beans and Tiny the giant is like "I thought you guys were miners?" and Grumpy is all "eh, work is work." Comedy gold!

Flag
OK one thing:

Regina: Eric your prince is in Storybrooke.
Ariel: Where is he?
Regina: No, we have to have some leverage (ie. I ain't telling you til you bring us what we want)

Cut to the end...

Ariel: here's your box.
Regina: here's your legs/fins.

No mention of exactly where Eric is in Storybrooke like she was coming back to ask. So the leverage wasn't where Eric was (Storybrooke ain't that big, right?) so the real reason for her to come back were her LEGS full time. Was this just me?? Was I not paying attention? Did they actually slip in Eric's exact location? Why does this bug me? OK stick a fork in me I'm done.
Flag
Staff
I think you mean, "put a dinglehopper in me" I wonder if Regina didn't tell her about Eric because Eric is like, an angry sardine canner now. You know how everyone got all jumbled up in Storybrooke.
Flag
HAHAHAHA!!!!!! Good one, Lily!
Flag
Issues ahoy... Do I now know where flounder is? Hope he weren't human when they canned him.... (RIP Gus)
Flag
Maybe Regina didn't tell Ariel so she wouldn't spend time on finding Eric and asking him whether he still had feelings for her (maybe also whether he had formed another family). Come to think of it, he may had and this could be the reason Regina didn't want Ariel to find out before she completed her business.
Flag
Another great episode. OUAT is on fire this season.
Flag
My theory about the Darling brothers age is pretty much that they've gone back and forth to Neverland a lot. While Wendy has been a prisoner there the entire time and never left, the 2 boys have likely had to make several trips back and forth to the "real" world on missions for Pan, thus aging a little bit at a time, otherwise they'd be much older than Neil at this point, especially assuming he might have been stuck in Neverland a long time before he escaped.
Flag
Also let them age was useful, what could two children do for Pan? He needs them in that form
Flag
Sounds like a good theory.
Flag
Another great episode I still prefer hook and the look on her face when she started the fire I have hope that look meant her fear for Hook getting his soul ripped out triggered her magic.
Flag
How is it that time doesn't pass while in NeverLand, but our "Heroes" have been gone "5 days" as expressed by Happy?
Flag
Happy is not in neverland so it has been five days for him. Besides, time passes, you just dont age
Flag
I thought time passed but no-one aged...
Flag
That would make sence, even for the time of the curse in Storybrook.
Flag
Now where can we get some of what they've got? Wouldn't mind being ageless for a bit... ;)
Flag
So I guess Emma's speech about how she always loved Neal and always WOULD love Neal, was pretty much crap now that she's given another speech about how she doesn't have time for love (Dr. Jones). Typical.

Also, Henry's one of the dumbest kids ever, ever. Unless he plans to backstab pan somehow.

But no. He totally fell for it.
Flag
To answer your most important question - i have NEVER refused a burger in my life nor do I ever intend to.

Moving on to the episode: I LOVED it. The whole thing. I was at the edge of my seat throughout, fully prepared to hate the Darling boys until it turned out that they were just doing Pan's bidding because they had to. So, yay for the Darling brothers. Wendy did creep me out a bit...however, poor girl has been on Neverland for a century now and though I sincerely hope she hasn't been locked away in that tiny cage throughout, I'm ready to cut her some slack. Poor girl mus be seriously traumatized...

I loved Rumpel's reemerged feeling of hope that he will be reunited with his Belle again. That was lovely to see. As was seeing him question Regina on how she felt about not having "someone" herself...I sure hope Robin and Regina will meet soon. I'm one of those OUAT fans who CANNOT WAIT to see their love story happen. Fairy dust doesn't lie, dude!!

I also thought it was great to see Regina keep her word to Ariel and actually grant her her wish to reunite Eric without any hard feelings, but rather gladly. I think that's progress and I'm very grateful for that.

The Charmings: I love them. I love how much they love each other and that there's not the smallest, tiniest hint on whether those two belong together. They are the truest love of them all and there's no doubt on my mind they always will be. But, I can't really see them shacking up in a tree house on Neverland and voluntarily leave Emma behind for a long period of time...though I do think it's a good thing they put each other first since their girl is all grown up, I don't think Snow would bear to be seperated from Emma forever.

And now the Hook and Emma of it all. I LOVED it. ALL of it. ANd I don't care who knows. Hook's complete honesty with Emma is SO refreshing. He just lays it on her, how it is, and that is something we rarely see on TV. A man being a real man - not afraid to be open about and confess his feelings to his loved one in that blunt manner. LOVED it. Their scene in the woods, that was just perfect. Him being all Killian (man of honor: When I win your heart it won't be because of any trickery) and Hook (pirate: and I WILL win it) was just extremely entertaining to watch: for one, because I really haven't seen a male lead be THAT forthcoming, sincere and open about his feelings directly to the female lead's face and because, let's be real here, listening to Colin O' Donoghue delivering his lines in this husky voice is extremely entertaining :)
I also loved that Emma didn't withdraw from him once he took a step closer towards her; I was really surprised that she stood her ground and held his gaze. She's a tough lass, but normally she's all about keepin her emotional distance and her walls up and here she didn't. Hook's "you bested me" from S2 came to mind and I thought this scene not only brought out Killian's honorable intentions towards her but also that those two are equals, It was also lovely to see how complete Hook's faith in EMma is. There's no doubt on his mind that she'll succeed...sounds like true love to me. Also interesting, after Killian's and Neal's hilarious fight over the lighter, while both their shadows were being extracted, Emma screamed "Hook". But I will try to not overinterpret that ;)
Personally, I can't wait till the fun starts. After they have saved Henry, that is.

More+
Flag
Is it just me, or do others think that palming Robin Hood off on Regina is a cop-out? "You don't know this guy and have no connection with him whatsoever, but he's your True Love, really." Really? I'll stop watching this show when they do that to my favourite character.
Flag
I really doubt the love triangle is forever shelved... more like it's on hold, but I'll take that over it being like a skipping record any day. I was extremely impressed, however, when Emma said that her love is for Henry and that she chooses him. GOOD FOR HER. The two of them were acting like children (or maybe that's an insult to children) fighting over the lighter. Yes, obviously it wasn't really about the lighter, but you would think that two grown men would realize that her child means more to her than either of them ever will. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the character of Hook, but if I were Emma, I'm not sure I could get past the fact that Hook was in love with the mother of the father of my son. Nor would I be impressed with Neal, who has done NOTHING to try to make up for his past wrongs.

It was actually nice to see Storybrooke again. I got really sick of it last season, but I really enjoyed this episode. I particularly found it hilarious when Ariel said that she didn't need legs to find Eric and confess her love - as long as he lives close to a beach. Poor girl.
More+
Flag
1- The CGI shadows of Neal and Hook overlapping with their bodies was just terrible. come on people. It's like first graders are doing the CGI.

2- So Wendy and her brothers are centuries old now? So why aren't they dead? I mean I understand Wendy is alive coz she's living in Neverland, but what about her brothers? They lived their whole life in our world and they are just young adults??

3- So Ariel knows what gloves are? Seriously? If she knows gloves, then why doesn't she know what a gun is?

4- So Rumpel told Belle to find the object using "their love"? Seriously?

5- Welcome back, Storybrooke stories. I was so excited to see Storybrooke. I really missed that place.

6- The way I see it, they are about to face Pan. I believe that they are all gonna meet and fight PAn together. I'm referring to Regina/Rumpel and the other good league. And by mid-season, it's gonna be over.

7- I think we're not gonna see the Ariel/Eric reunion untill the gang gets back to Storybrooke.

Your questions:
1- Exactly! So you noticed this too.

2- LMAO. This made my day. Good one.

3- I think he's planning to make Henry do it to himself.

4- What's that?

5- I don't give a crap. The only one I care about is the Rumpel/Belle.

6- They're gonna figure it out eventually, so don't worry.

7- *drool*

8- The episode was an improvement.
More+
Flag
So is Ariel like recurring now? Cause I'd love that.
Flag
Staff
Gosh, I hope so.
Flag
Looking forward to getting back to Storybrooke . . . Neverland is getting claustrophobic.
Flag
Staff
I'm sure it is for the actors too- its just a soundstage with like a Home Depot Gardening area worth of potted plants on casters. Although I guess that beats a green screen.
Flag
Loved how they introduces John, Michael en Wendy...that was a nice twist.
Loved Belle and Ariel working together and cannot believe that Regina kept her promise..
Love also the small word changes between Neal and Hook...
Cool that Emma is finally finding her inner power...!!
Henry Henry, will you ever learn...finally i thought that he got smarter then Pan, till he got tricked by Wendy/Pan!
Flag
I lost it during the "Help me Belley Wan Kenobi!"-scene, I seriously got food come out of my nose!

warning: don't eat while watching OUAT!
Flag
Especially after the Star Wars reference in OUATIW as well
Flag
My first thought after watching this episode was regret that Emma managed to light the coconut (lol!) candle that quickly. Just a minute longer and we could've been rid of both 'Deadbeat Dad' & 'Hungry Eyes' for good. No such luck :( I'm glad that Emma told both losers off though, for a second the REAL Emma Swan made a reappearance. Now if we could just keep her... Loved the 'Regiinnaa' from Emma after lighting the candle, she realized that even though Regina wasn't there with her, she is the only person truly focused on saving Henry while the 2 'Neverland veterans' with her almost got them all killed. Regina has been camping with bloody Snow White, teaching Emma magic, ripping out hearts, been willing to sacrifice her own life (telling Emma to keep going and not look back/giving Tink her heart and asking for her help to save Henry) for the mission and all she's gotten is mistrust and called a monster... My hope is that Emma has finally realized all this and has pulled her head out of her ass for good. Though her 'let's go get OUR SON' to Neal truly made me nauseous. He is barely more than a sperm donor which he proved this episode by failing Emma and Henry so spectacularly in Dark Hollow. And has he even asked about Tamara, the woman he was in love with and planning to marry a week ago? Ugh x 10000000000000...
More+
Flag
My main thoughts after watching this episode:
1. Why is so-called Dark Hollow the brightest place in Neverland? And what is with all the red? Does Pan use it as a gigantic darkroom to develop his extensive pornography collection? (C'mon, he's been a 15 year old boy for like 300 years.)

2. I'm really not liking anything about this stupid love triangle (though I might be a bit biased because love triangles are the bane of my existence), but I found N/E/H to be hilarious in this episode. Hook calling ONE KISS a "dalliance," Neal stomping off in a huff and conveniently giving Emma and Hook a private moment (I'm chuckling just thinking about it), Hook and Neal behaving like middle schoolers, Emma being all "Why would you assume I told Neal about our kiss?" (I'm actually totally with her on that one). Just some funny stuff. Although I do think it's pretty sad to see 200 hundred year old men being reduced to 12 year olds over a girl. I mean seriously. They're like TWO HUNDRED YEARS OLD! And I loved that Emma was not dealing with this triangle bullshit, opting for Henry instead. PIKACHU, I CHOOSE YOU!

3. When Snow was all "I'll stay in Neverland with you forever," was I the only one wondering what about Emma? I mean, I get that Snow loves her husband and hasn't really been a part of her daughter's life, but I doubt very much that Emma and Henry will want to stay in Neverland, so does that mean Snow would actually choose to abandon her daughter in another universe AGAIN just so she could be with her hubby? That... kind of disturbed me. Although that might just be my issues with my parents always choosing their boyfriends/husbands/girfriends/wives over me and my sisters talking.

4. I cannot take the Darling boys seriously when they're dressed like that. Whose genius idea was it to make them hipsters?! And did anyone else notice that Glasses Hipster Darling is the guy who played Jace in Switched at Birth (who I personally found more than a little creepy).

Anyway, MUCH better than last week's episode. So glad to be back in Storybrooke, Neverland is possibly the most boring "dangerous" magical world I have ever seen.
More+
Flag
THAT'S where I knew Hipster Potter from!! I kept looking at him and listening to him and was, like, "Damn it, I know you from somewhere else!".

Thanks for that :)
Flag
For sure. It took me awhile to place him myself. :)

Flag
I think the problem with Neverland is that we were all expecting an ongoing battle between the lost boys and pirates, "native" americans, and mermaids. Unfortunately, it appears either the lost boys wiped out such enemies long ago, or they all fled and hid to avoid Pan's shadow. Either way, you'd think the lost boys would have gone stir crazy at this point with little else to do but wait around for possible enemies to toy with.
Flag

5) i think the love triangle needs more development, right now everybody roots for hook since neil has been kind of a douche, or like i guess you lily people are rooting for emma and regina "sigh".

6) henry wil "believe" and charming will be magicaly cured for good.

Flag
God, Henry has turned out to be rock stupid. Season one Henry I really liked. He didn't come off as too precocious or naive. He believed, but he was aware enough to know when something was amiss. S2 Henry was a bit of a manipulator and I didn't like him as much, but I could get past that. This season, someone took Henry's brain...it's the only way to explain how a kid who's PROBABLY READ ABOUT THESE VERY SAME RUSES still up and falls for one. COME ON, HENRY!

Meanwhile, Emma becomes more and more likeable. I liked that it was the two guys fighting over her in the most moronic way possible and SHE was the one who said "Ain't got time for your high school drama!" She deals with problems, just like her secret crush, Regina. Though, really, if she has to pick? Hook. Sure, he's a pirate, but Neal ditched her, let her get busted, and abandoned his kid. Dude is an ass. Maybe Tinkerbell will be cool with that.

I love Ariel and Belle, Magic Sleuths! One, because Emilie and Joanna are just adorable together, and two.....eh, can it just be because of reason one? And where DID Belle get all these clothes? Did Rumple magic them up? Regina is the only other person in town I can see shopping for leather skirts, so I don't see them being locally available. (also, if the local librarian looked like Belle, I'D be in there every day!) Belle's SB style evolved from "library hobo" to "it's appropriate as long as you don't see my butt, right?"

Oh, Grumpy, glad you remember Red and her hooker outfits. Seems everyone else got hit by another forgetful spell. Seriously, Granny didn't even double-take when the name was mentioned. Sure, WE all know where Meghan Ory is, but can we find some way to make it fit on this show? At least not treat her like Voldemort and never mention her again.

I love how the Charming's arguments are almost ALWAYS about how much they love each other and what they do for loving each other SO SO SO much. "I'm SO MAD because I'm SO IN LOVE with you and you made me sad!" "And I'm sad I had to lie because I LOVE YOU TOO MUCH to lie to you!" Somehow they found a way, in show, to put them alone so no one else had to tolerate it again.

Maybe that's why Henry's falling for Pan's tricks. He's in on it, he just doesn't want to go back to listening to Snow talk about how love is so awesome for everything.
More+
Flag
Maybe with Meghan out for this season, they are kind of blending Belle into her character a bit in terms out outfit selection. I did a double take when I saw Belle's leather skirt, too.
Flag
I'd sure like to find one for my wife.
Flag
After reading the Cruel Unintentions Article and watching last night episode. Now I can't help but notice the SwanQueen innuendos.

Anyways Im glad they are wrapping up everything in Neverland.

I hope Snow and Charming stay in Neverland, and the show continues just with Emma, Regina and Rumple.
Flag
I haven't looked at the past couple reviews, so I apologize if this has already been answered. When Ariel was first introduced, wasn't it the case that when she was dry her fin would turn into legs? I get that initially the bracelet gave her permanent legs, but why did she need the bracelet in this episode when going to Storybrooke? She would have legs when dry, but she used the bracelet to get the legs anyway. I get that it gave the convenient breakout explanation when they were tied up, but otherwise it seemed to not make sense based on how the rules were explained when she was first introduced as a character.
Flag
I don't think we can apply "Splash" rules to OUAT.
Flag
That was only for 24hrs on a specific night. Otherwise, she can't have legs, wet or dry without the bracelet (that didn't sound right....)
Flag
Mer-people can only have legs under the condistions brought about by the Sea Goddess from high tide to high tide at a certain time of year, unless by other magic means (the bracelet).
Flag
I cheered when Emma said she was choosing Henry, because that whole love triangle thing was stupid in Twilight and it's just as stupid in OUAT.

I will say that the preview for next week once again makes me wonder what in the world A & E are smoking when they talk about magic being a metaphor for sexual tension, desire and all that awesome stuff, then continually make Emma and Regina do all kinds of powerful magic together that isn't really supposed to be possible and proceed to stick to the Swan Queen being unintentional party line.

Am I the only one who keeps expecting Pan to put on a long blonde wig and bust out with a Taylor Swift song every time he comes on screen?
Flag
I'm really grateful that a Disney show is showing the main character pick herself and her child over some dumb love triangle. :)
Flag
The Darlings Boys situations seems easy. They've probably spent time a lot of time on the island too. But Pan has used them to do the missions off the island where they could have easily aged 15-20 within 100yrs doing missions outside of Neverland. Whereas it looks like Wendy once on the island never left.
Flag
That's pretty much my exact theory, and I wish I'd read yours before I posted mine. Could have saved a bunch of time.
Flag
Ariel and Belle are the loveliest team assembled by OUaT so far. Now if they are joined by Tinkerbell, they'll defeat anyone with the magic of their sheer adorableness.

OK, I was thinking. If I were Ariel and I could only have legs for 24 hours, what would I do first? Perhaps...
1) Play a soccer game.
2) Play hopscotch.
3) Kick Regina in the butt.

But of course, Prince Eric won't just appreciate Ariel's legs. It's what's between them that counts. Right? Right? *Wink* *Wink* Come on, I don't have to spell it out, do I?

Ariel must have super speed when swimming. Notice that when Regina first called her in Neverland she appeared in, like, two seconds.

So Rumpel has a portable holographic messenger. Just like Star Wars. I think the great reveal will be that Rumpelstilskin is a scientist from the future whose advanced technology looks like magic in the eyes of ignorant natives.

Isn't the Blue Fairy the most useless magician/mage/wizard/whatever you can imagine?

Pan is so cruel. So Wendy had to go back to the cage because??? I mean, the least he could do was let the girl stay in that nice bedroom. It's not like she was going anywhere.
More+
Flag
I see your "Ariel and Belle" and raise you an "Ariel, Belle and Mulan", given (as Lily pointed out) Belle had that "my eyes are up here" moment with her.
Flag
Just to change the tone of usual OUaT discussions, I wasn't going for the lesbian angle. I was going for the cute and adorable one from a male perspective, and, in my opinion, Mulan can't join that club. Happy Tinkerbell, on the other hand, is more than welcome.
Flag
You know what I liked? I'll tell you.

When Hook was talking about winning Emma's heart and she was all "Chill your boots, guy. I have Henry related decisions to make!" He seemed to have complete faith in her ability to do it, even if she didn't. The best part about it was it was backed up by logic and not unicorns and true love or whatever else Snow is smoking when she comes out with her ridiculous pep talks. Emma's succeeded at everything she's set out to do so far, why should this time be any different. Boom! Logic.
Flag
Just a quick comment: the "line of the night" award, once again, goes to Regina. Addressing Ariel: "Now you can have legs whenever you want. Or a fin. Whatever Eric's into these days." Priceless!
Flag
I laughed at that too, but then kinda wondered if that wasn't Regina doing a bit of devious foreshadowing? Kinda makes you wonder whatever happened to Ursula, doesn't it?
Flag
Why would Pan take Wendy? He rejected her in Bae's flashback. Also, how is it that her brothers aged and she didn't. I mean, she was the oldest originally. I guess Pan didn't come back for the brothers until they grew up. I don't know. I feel like they're setting Wendy up as a love interest for Henry, but that doesn't make sense. She's 500 years old. I know the difference between a lot of the characters timeline wise is very big, but at least they're all adults. Henry is a child, so as cute as a couple as they would be, the mental difference is too overwhelming. Also, I feel like Wendy should have been aged like her brothers. Then she could be a love interest to Neal, and Hook and Emma could live happily ever after. *sigh* How long was Neal in Neverland again?
Flag
I almost kind of wonder if Henry isn't going to have an interest in Wendy now, it would certainly fit with the weirdness of everyone else dating WAYYY out of their chronological (and not physical) ages.
Flag
Assuming that Wendy's England isn't a separate world (I think it is but not important) and is just our world in the past, then Peter Pan and Wendy's story is set in early1900's, so she's only about 100 years or so. And if you're looking for someone to distract Neal from Emma, I think Tink is your more likely candidate.
Flag
500?!? years old?
Flag
whoops. that was a typo. or maybe it wasn't. Rumple is hundreds of years old, isn't he? So I figured if Wendy and Bae were still kids when Wendy was kidnapped, then she must be that old too. However, I rewatched the episode and her brother said she's only been a prisoner for over a century, so it looks like she's only like 120 years old or something. In any case, my point still stands. Also, I don't like Tink with Neal.
Flag
I assume that Pan captured all 3 darling siblings, but let the other 2 go, probably around the time Henry was born?

/shrug
who knows with this show

Besides, it's so utterly funny. Didn't Greg and Tamara intend to blow up the town? Did Pan know that it didn't go off? Why would he send the other two?
Heck, isn't Pan involved with the mermaids? Why else did they attack the Hook's ship when it first arrived in Neverland?
While we are at it, what's with the stoned Mermaid Regina kept?

Overall, this episode was b-o-r-i-n-g
I admit Ariel had the best moments in it, though none of it made any sort of bloody sense. First, she has 24 hours, right? Why is she going after Belle so fast? Wouldn't it make sense, especially after meeting the dwarfs who clearly know a thing or two if maybe they know where Eric is?

Didn't Charming said they made some sort of reconnection center?

And the love triangle is indeed boring. Neal and Emma have a history but it was off screen and it's a little hard to buy it when he was engaged when they first met again. Not to mention how he isn't even the least bit caring for Tamara...
And Hook? While he is dashing in his own way, him falling for Emma is just too darn quick. Then again, on this show? Eric and Ariel are apparently in love even though they only spent 30 seconds together.

Dear me... Finally we're getting close enough to the mid season break so we'll be off Neverland. But frankly I assumed by the time they get back they'll see the entire town went through something... Apperantly not.
More+
Flag
When Belle was talking to Rumple, did anyone else go to "Help me Obi wan, you're my only hope!"
And Lily you nailed it with this, I still have tears:
As she and Ariel poked around, Ariel was all "Look at this stuff!" ("Isn’t it neat?" everyone said in their living rooms. The echo was deafening. If Disney programmed us to become super soldiers with subliminal messages in their movies, that might be the activation phrase.)
And Lily, just so you know how much these reviews mean to us - hubby and I watch the show then go straight here, just pressing reload until your review comes up. They are a good 50% of the reason why we are still watching.
Flag
Staff
That's the hugest compliment, thank you so much! I'm very lucky to get to cover this show & have such cool readers to talk with afterwards.
Flag
I did that! That sand dollar totally R2-D2'd Rumple to Belle.
Flag
I LOVED Happy's trash-talking about the Charmings, because the man is right!
Flag
I must admit when u first started shipping 'SwanQueen' I thought it was ridiculous. Even after reading all the compelling arguments u made in 'cruel Un-intentions' I thought u were pushing it a bit but after watching yesterday's episode of OUAT I've become a true believer! U could feel (and literally see) the sparks fly when Emma closed her eyes and thought of Regina. And the way she replied "I guess she is" when Neal asked her about Reg teaching her magic. This has the potential to be the best onscreen lesbian couple since Xena & Gabrielle. Stuff 'Deadbeat Dad' & 'Hungry Eyes' I m now team SwanQueen!
Flag
Staff
Hahahaha welcome to the ride of your tv life!!!
Flag
Explain Darling situation: Well. I am 27 (soon 28) and I always have to show ID and when i do people stare and say. "WHAT? You look like 18 at most." Maybe that's the deal with the Darlings?

Audience clapping to break wall: Not likely.

Pan intends to Kill Henry: Probably

Regina and Emma bringing down the moon: Emma sucks. Nuff said. Love Reggie though. My reasons are stated below.

Live triangle: She is probably gonna end up with Neal cuz of their kid and history. And for Hook and... I hate it. Emma is (sorry) in my opinion ANNOYING AS HELL. She has no real personality (once again, my opinion), I think she is really blank overall. She isn't funny and whenever she is heroic it is mostly by luck and she judges people very quickly even though she is supposed to know when people lie and she is not a very good mom cuz she is constantly loosing her son to danger. She doubts everything and whines about it, she left her son and is blaming her parents for leaving her when they had much better reasons to AND now wants him back and takes him from his adoptive mother (yes she is the reason they are all in that mess but not for emmas crimes as an ADULT, which she was, or for her choice to give him up). I mean Belle is much more likeable. Last but not least I like hook as a charming lady man, they should have more fun with that on the series. Keep his undying love for Milah going and make it real hard for him to fall in love again (to keep that sexy tragic personality) cuz it was in my opinion too simple for him to get over her.

Charming situation: Pan dies and maybe that fixes things?

Refused burgers: Never offered that many. The ones I buy I eat.

Thoughts on Dark hollow: Dark hollows the place wasn't really dark. I imagined a pitch black place, hence the name.
The episode was ok. Fun to go back to storybrook. I was getting sick of the jungle and endless conversations leading nowhere.
More+
Flag
"She has no real personality (once again, my opinion), I think she is really blank overall. She isn't funny and whenever she is heroic it is mostly by luck and she judges people very quickly

Not so oddly, Jennifer Morrison's character was like that on House...
Flag
OH NO! THEY ARE HERE!!! DON'T LET THEM IN... HIPSTERS ARE DANGEROUS PEOPLE (OR SOMETHING)!!!
Flag
mmmh, they dress like hipsters but act like emos - it's a new hybrid!
Flag
... Please explain the Darling situation to me. Wendy has been on the island since childhood, the Darling boys are aged like 15 years and look roughly 20s in the present day, so... huh?

I'm guessing two young boys driving around and carrying a gun is harder to go unnoticed. How would they get either licence? Wait DO THEY HAVE LICENCES??!??

... Do you think the mid-season finale will involve characters asking the audience to break the fourth wall and clap their hands and believe to save Henry?

Possible but risky.

... Does Pan intend on ripping out Henry’s heart or killing him another way?

I thought it might make him good again - the lack of extreme power and someone to believe he's good is leaving him dark.

... Are you super psyched for Emma and Regina bringing down the moon?

I'm not sure I get what this means...

... What'd you think of "Dark Hollow"?

Surprisingly bright. And red. But if it's dark the shadows can't exist right? Confused. It leaves me confused.

... Hook/Emma/Neal: Is this triangle shelved officially or just heating up?

I like Emma's thinking. This has to be her way. Take the idea that they both want you, focus on the important things and don't let anyone reduce you to romantic interest or prize (regardless of gender). Be you. Besides, I'd be more focussed on the kick ass magic I can do!! How cool would that be?

... Have you ever refused four burgers?

I never ask for something I don't want. Most people don't. You're questioning and interest in Belle's priorities stand.

... How’re Snow and Charming going to figure out Charming’s situation?

Are we just going to accept things will be OK? Do we care how? Do we think it'll be anything other than Magic? Is there anything other than Magic?? Is there a Doctor on Neverland? Or can someone suck the poison out as soon as they set off for home? Are we going to see poison sucking? Where is this season leading to? I don't like the way I'm going so I'll stop here before it's no longer child friendly. :)
More+
Flag
I love that Pan is feeling more and more like a psychopath, maybe it's just his evil grin but I get some very weird vibes off of him! And again with the Mary Margret/Snow name thing damn you writers pick one and stick to it!
Flag
He called her Snow when the curse broke, but after that they have been using their storybrook names even though they got their memories back and everything.
Flag
The first season was so good, then it all went south. Now it's just...dumb? Thick? Silly?
Flag
If you've been watching it for over a year since it "went south," it must be doing something right... :)
Flag
Well, there is always hope
Flag
BELLEISBACK!!!!! I Miss her so much.. Her scenes were the best part of the episode... she is so smart and awesome. Ariel was adorable. Rumple and Belle love each other so much.... I CAN'T EVEN!!!!!!!
-The love triangle scenes O.M.G
Neal.Hook. Gentlemen,
That Was Pathetic... and force and Lame I'm embarrass for you both
-From the moment Hook offer to go with neal and emma to the dark hollow...I just Fast-Forward any scene with the 3 of them...
-My faith in Emma was restore when she choose Henry...Like, HELL YEAH, SOOOO Are We Done with this Love triangle?
Flag
I've never laughed so hard before XD Do you things like stand up comedy? Seriously, you deserve an award for things like this. Next week: R&E BRINGING DOWN THE MOON!
Flag
magic!
I'm not clapping for that
ripping
YES!!!!!
temporarly shelved
they'll both get off and be boring another day in another place
maybe if they were offered all at once
it was sort of a reddish place.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show