An Once Upon a Time Community
Sunday 8:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 25, 2016)

Once Upon a Time S03E11: "Going Home"

What funny creatures humans are! On this huge, indifferent planet in the midst of absolutely merciless nature, we matter so much to each other. That each of us receives some sort of justice is important. So intense is our interest and affection for other individuals that our imaginary versions of them can poke little holes in people and unhinge waves of feeling. 

OUAT used this innate human property skillfully by taking a huge dramatic scenario and then slooooooowing its usual roller-coaster pace to a crawl so we could just WATCH our characters feel emotions. Snow’s smile as she kissed Emma’s forehead, Rumple as he sucked his dad’s neck while they disappeared into a cloud together, Emma and Regina holding hands and weeping bitterly over losing their chance to finally be a family. The characters of OUAT have been feeling huge crazy things all season, but because this was the mid-season finale, the show actually tapped the brakes and gave the proceedings some gravity and the actors time to process it and to transfer the feeling to us. And we felt all of it! I get infuriated sometimes at how good this show can be, because it could be this good in every episode if it wanted to. It doesn’t take flashy CGI to make this show intriguing, all it takes is slowing a scene down every once in a while and letting two people process in some real way the batshit hoop they’re jumping through. But instead of wagging my finger, I'm letting myself just appreciate the fact that my cold, carbon heart felt something last night aside from impatience. It felt deep, deep cathartic pain.

The good news is, it would be ridiculous to get too worked up over the jagged holes that "Going Home" ripped into our very beings. As the promo at the end of this episode revealed, the Charmings are coming back and Snow’s bringing her wig with her. Rumple and Belle appeared to hug, and I hazard a guess that him disappearing in an inky cloud will not be the last we see of Robert Carlyle. As we saw in the last moments of the hour, Hook tracked down Emma and he’s still wearing the exact same outfit as when we first met him. The return of OUAT in 2014 will no doubt return our characters to the usual hurry-up-and-find-it status quo, but this time presumably in an effort to fight this bitch:

So green. #WickedIsComing! Successful Disney Property, AHOY!!  IDK. I feel like at some point Season 2, after the writers' weird attempt to ramp up the Evil Queen into the Ultimate Biggest Bad despite Lana Parrilla’s intense character-building, they conceded that audiences weren’t buying the Automaton Adopted Mom routine, so they were like “How about we just acknowledge that Regina is a fan favorite and a cool mom and bring in another big bad lady who’s more hate-able?” I mean, this whole season has been the de-villainization of Regina, and "Going Home" really sealed that deal. But I’m getting ahead of myself. This episode began with the highly predicted murder of Felix by Jared Gilmore (I’ll miss his feather earring) but then quickly shifted focus to a high-stakes search for a brand-new item that no one had heard of before, yet that is suddenly central to the plot going forward! Where is the Black Fairy’s (who?) dark magic wand (what?) because suddenly it is crucial (why?)! This led Tink, Bae, Hook, and Charming to crash the Blue Fairy’s extremely empty and lonely funeral.

Man, if there was any question in your mind about who the least-popular lady in Storybrooke was, the many many empty rows of pews at the funeral as the Mother Superior was laid to rest was the resounding answer. However before our crew could so much as rummage through her desk drawers looking for the wand, the Shadow started whizzing around the stained-glass windows until Tink thought of Regina and lit a candle in a coconut.

Forgive me if this has been explained, but can someone remind me why this all-powerful magical wraith who can transcend realms is so easily distracted by a candle in a coconut shell? There he was, flying around not caring about two GIANT BOWLS OF FIRE, but a tealight in a dried tropical husk pulled him in with irresistible force? Sure. 

But whatever, this part isn’t important. The part where Hook and Tink had eye sex at knifepoint isn’t important either, or the part where Charming saved Hook one-handed. What’s important is that the Blue Fairy rose from the DAMN GRAVE and clamored with her little biddy high heels out of her coffin without making a sound and in that moment we realized this episode was not out to please the OUAT fans.

We also got a pilot flashback to when the curse was first descending upon a pregnant Snow and her baby bump and Blue Fairy was like “I have something that will save us all” and Snow was like “Oh thank goodness. Something magical? A portal key? A hoarcrux? Don’t hold out on me, lady in charge of all the magic!” and Blue Fairy like a big old bitch was like “ERM Hope.” Well faaaaaaantastic. Thank you so much for that, Blue Fairy. Where would we be with out your smug, condescending platitudes? Oh that’s right we’d be knee-deep in August’s sexy cheekbones. And then Charming was so MADDENINGLY CALM ABOUT THE CURSE. Like WHY was Charming so laid back about certain doom tearing them out of their known world and estranging him forever from their unborn daughter? There was a level of taking things in stride going on there that was almost psychopathic. Snow was like “I dreamed of us being together and raising our baby” and he was like “Oh yeah? Huh. Well, now we’ll have a new dream that our worst enemy will decide. Luckily she seems a lot angrier at you than me. With any luck I’ll end up on the high seas second mate to a troubled pirate.” 

And then Snow and Emma locked eyes through the unicorn mobile and had a mutually painful knife-twisting session about how much they regretted giving up their kids and I was just like “Why can’t we have these moments more often!? Why do we only save interesting talks for the finales? COME ON Y’ALL I AM LOVIN’ THIS AND IT DOESN’T TAKE CGI JUST DIALOGUE” and then my neighbors beat on the wall because I was getting “worked up.”  Then the show mumble-mumble acknowledged the existence of cough cough TamaraandGreg cough so Gold could  haul out the old magical snap bracelet that he’d “pilfered” from Tamara and Greg despite not being anywhere near them for most of Season 2. Sure. Even harder than explaining how he’d laid his hands on such an item was finding a spot on Pan’s lanky arms that wasn’t covered in rustic leather cuffs to actually snap it onto. But then he did and it was time for a good old fashioned soul-body switch while everybody watched! 

Then everybody went out to welcome Henry with the curse except for Rumple, who had just finished reading a pile of family counseling literature and was ready to get real with Pan. 

Pan’s confrontation with Rumple was actually a pretty powerful scene. I mean, there are people who just have bad parents. I am luckily not one of them, but there are people who have parents who fail or abandon their kids during childhood and those kids are often amazing, beautiful, forgiving people just miraculously on their own, and when they try to sort of reconnect with their parents and give them the opportunity to rejoin their lives those parents often just continue to be A-holes and use, abuse, or emotionally wound those kids simply because they’re awful and always have been. It unfortunately does happen and shame on bad parents. But in the moments when I would analyze what I was literally watching, a teen kid yelling at a middle-aged man about how awful he was as a baby—how do you not laugh at that? It’s like if you saw a guy dressed in a clown suit slip on a banana peel at the top of a ski run and zig-zag his way down the hill on one leg until he up-ended into a trashcan full of wind-up chatter teeth. Like, call an ambulance, but also upload that shit to YouTube. 

But back to important stuff: Regina and Henry and Emma all group-hugged.

... and then Regina COLLAPSED! And when she woke up again, as she came to the first thing out of her mouth, eyes teary, was a whispered "Emma," like Mr.Rochester calling for Jane Eyre in his tortured night fantasies. I mean it was so freaking gothic romance. And then Pan came and froze everyone! He sidled up to Neal and Belle and was like “Who should I kill first? Oh, you obviously” and was about to kill Neal and I thought "You know, I’m sort of a Pan fan and maybe we should just let his plan play out for a bit, see what he’s got in mind." But then Rumple showed up and summoned his shadow (funny how they couldn’t use THAT shadow to escape the island?) and stabbed his dad with the Dark Dagger and gently gave him a hickey as they melted into nothingness. 

P.S., did you notice while Pan and Rumple were taking turns shouting at the frozen assembly of characters, there was like active traffic behind them? Storybrooke was just having a normal Wednesday, its inhabitants skipping the Blue Fairy’s funeral and quietly asking themselves why a giant green cloud was pouring out of the forest. But anyway, Rumple’s disappearance: Where have they gone? Will they return? Why would it kill Rumple to stab his dad? All questions I really don’t care about right now, because Belle is on the ground sobbing—which, NO. And Belle dropping to her knees sobbing was just the prelude to the the next ten minutes of the episode, which would tear all our hearts out of our chests and drop-kick them into a pool of acid. 

Regina revealed that to save them all she’d have to reset the curse again, sending Fairy Tale Land people back to the Enchanted Forest, and that Emma would have to stay behind to be with Henry. Regina’s price for setting the curse was not the heart of the person she loved most, as it was the first time she cast it and also when Pan cast it previously, but whatever. I can bend that rule, fine, for the positive treasure of the drama that then unfolded. Regina was like “The price is the thing I love most” and then she and Emma just stared at each other thunderstruck until Emma turned around and was like “Right, Henry, gotcha.” And Mary Margaret did her best Blue Fairy imitation about we all got HOPE now hold onto your HOPE Emma shush already etc. But if you’re looking for some real HOPE: How many times in the last four episodes were y’all flip-flopping from realm to realm? Go to the Enchanted Forest, which is silly with magic, and find a bunch of magic beans or make a mermaid saddle or capture a unicorn’s queef or do whatever it takes to schlep betwixt dimensions. C'mon now. There’s only 18 different ways to do this shit.

But anyway, with the green clouds consuming everyone who wasn’t Royalty behind them, our heroes walked Emma out to the town line, her hard-won parents about to zip back up to the Enchanted Forest, and Henry sought out his mom Regina apologized for bringing Emma to Storybrooke and (tears in my eyes) said he realized Regina had always loved him and she wasn’t a villain, she was his mom (knees to my chest, shaking my head) and then oh good Lord. Oh Merciful Lord give me the STRENGTH TO TYPE THIS. Regina took Emma’s hand and started talking about the beautiful life she was going to give her as a parting gift. (Sloppy sigh) She was going to give Emma and Henry a past of always having been together, because Emma was going to lose all her memory of Storybrooke and the last few years (AND REGINA!!! This is where you stop discreetly patting your eyes with your sleeves and go “Dammit!” and openly burst into tears) and Emma was crying like her heart would break but then she and Henry loaded into her little yellow Bug and drove off while the purple smoke washed over everybody and we saw them go from over Regina’s shoulder, over her little brave Mary Tyler Moore flip curl as she watched her son and wife forget her. Not Snow’s shoulder. Not Neal’s shoulder. Not a group silhouette. Regina’s shoulder. I mean how do you not chew through a tear-drenched pillow in these circumstances? I am invoicing ABC for a new pillow.

And then of course there was the heart-melting sequence with Emma and Henry living her happy ending (which involved just a ton of well-framed artwork and NYC) until Hook showed up and planted a kiss on her that did NOT restore her memory and announced her family was in trouble! (Why am I not surprised?) We only have to wait approximately three months to find out what that means. Heartbreaking? Yes. Entertaining? Wildly. A complete and total series reset? Absolutely. Good thing or bad thing?

QUESTIONS:

... So what happens if Regina sees Henry again? Does that break the curse?

... Did you cry? (Be honest.)

... Rumple: R.I.P. or back in the next episode for SHEEZY?

... Help me dissect the promo: Does all of Storybrooke return? Or does Emma go to the Enchanted Forest at some point? Group huddle.

... Why does the Blue Fairy never bother to help ever? 

... Are you excited for Wicked tie-ins, or does this smell like money grab?

... What was your favorite part of the mid-season finale?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/15/2016

Season 5 : Episode 23

Next Episode

TONIGHT AT 8PM

Season 6 : Episode 1

695 Comments
Comments (696)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Hi again,
I'm here over a year later.... Why you might ask? Because I miss OUAT worth watching. This was my fav episode & my fav review from the fabulous Lily. All the characters were well written. There was a plausible reason for the purple smoke. Rumple & Regina's redemption seemed genuine & earned. Everyone had free will & owned their actions. It felt like the writers cared about their show & the audience was provided some respect.
Then the fecal matter hit the rotary. Honestly, I stopped watching about 1/2 way thru the remainder of S3. Now I just read Lily's reviews & call it good.

Thank you Lily for saving me the heartbreak of S4. I'm happy to stop now. No returns, re-boots or retcon necessary.
Heather
Flag
The only thing that stuck out to me as an issue was the contradiction that happened during the flashback when the pregnant Snow White was talking about not being with her baby. Wasn't there another flash back that had a pregnant Snow prepared to go to Storybrook and be with her baby? She didn't know that she was going to go into labor before the curse hit until she actually went into labour! Then all of a sudden with the mid - series finale she knew that she was not going to be with her, I'm confused! Was it ever explained why Snow White knew this all of a sudden?

The only thing I could think of was that the mid-season flashback was well before Snow White's approximated due date and they thought that the curse would hit around the same time as the birth at this time. Then as the due date got closer and the curse got closer, they all thought the curse was going to hit them before Snow's due date and they started planning accordingly. But then, Emma came a couple days/weeks early and she ended up having to go alone. Does anyone else have any other theories? Am I missing something that was explained on this theory?
And of course I cried, but I think I cried the hardest when they said we would have to wait three months for the next episode! They've been dragging on forever! :'( I think I love OUAT too much... :P

Whew, that comment tho... Holy paragraph Batman!
More+
Flag
The flashback was Snow thinking it would fail, and she wouldn't be with Emma. Then she had hope that it would work, then Emma came early and screwed everything up.
Flag

I have no idea..
Remember: That things will get better if we just hold on to hope <3 - snow

I cried alot... I have seen this episode 3 times.. and I still cry like a baby.. My dear hook <3

... Rumple: R.I.P. or back in the next episode for SHEEZY?
R.I.P, hope you live in peace.

... Help me dissect the promo: Does all of Storybrooke return? Or does Emma go to the Enchanted Forest at some point? Group huddle.
Enchanted Forest, Storybrook is gone, but I hope they drive back and find the book!

... Why does the Blue Fairy never bother to help ever?
Yolo, right?

... What was your favorite part of the mid-season finale? Every moment with hook <3 I just luuv him :*

Flag
I think there is a possibility that the Huntsmn will return if everything gets reset from the curse. :) :)
Flag
Just found this in the Daily mail. Apparently we got a lot more Sheriff than I remember... Dornan's character, the Huntsman, was killed off during season three of Once Upon A Time" But no, the actor is too busy. Such a shame :( He is missed.
Flag
I only have to say two things.. First I cried indeed.And second....I think I'm in love with Hook. Not the actor, no. Just Hook. I even fantasize about him before I fall asleep. I would never have imagined that I'd be in love with captain freaking Hook. Actually I have never felt like this for a stupid tv character. NEVER. This is just weird

Flag
... So what happens if Regina sees Henry again? Does that break the curse?= Not sure. I'm not sure what ending this curse would take/cost.
... Did you cry? (Be honest.)= a little. But the storytelling was so good!

... Rumple: R.I.P. or back in the next episode for SHEEZY?= He'll definitely be back, it just might be a while. Or the rest of everyone (except Belle) might decide their lives are better without Rumple/the Dark One.
... Help me dissect the promo: Does all of Storybrooke return? Or does Emma go to the Enchanted Forest at some point? Group huddle.=I'm assuming Emma will get back to the Forest somehow. I'm also assuming she'll remember/start to remember things and then want to save everyone.
... Are you excited for Wicked tie-ins, or does this smell like money grab?= I'll see how it goes, then I'll decide.
... What was your favorite part of the mid-season finale? Regina and Rumple each doing something selfless for the good of everyone else. Though the last part when Hook shows up at Emma's door was very entertaining!

Flag
Why is everyone so obsessed with the whole "Swan Queen" thing? Why do they have to be sexually attracted to one another? I promise I only got the lesbian undertones when I started reading fan forums and Lilys reviews. I just thought of them as having a serious budding "BFF" relationship despite having deeply hating each other for so long. Personally I prefer Hook and Swan because it is going to take just as much relationship building as the Swan Queen thing, while also making sense (ala 'Swan Queen shipping').

I just think it is a personal issue I have honestly. I think it is because I am so emotionally invested in Lana's character that her being Lesbian would shatter my extremely-weird-yet-totally-masculine-crush-on-a-psychopathic-yet-undeniably-sexy-once-evil-queen. I know it's weird that I'm a totally chill male college freshman binge watching a show about fairytales over Christmas break, but idgaf what people think. (Lol this has turned into a therapeutic rant). I just find Lana Parrilla extremely attractive and talented and she was the only reason I toughed out Sea. 2. I'm not trying to sound homophobic (my mom was a Lesbian) I just don't understand the NEED for there to be a relationship in the show. The Milan crap was the dumbest thing ever. Swan Queen doesn't totally work unless outside opinions are influencing their interactions. If you are going to have a gay character just have one, don't toy with the idea.

P.S. As a guy I can't deny how sexy the Swan Queen vibe is now that I honestly think about it...both good looking gals. But no! She's mine Emma back off! Lol Jk *rant over* #2weekslate
More+
Flag
I think the Swan Queen thing arises because there really aren't any gay characters on this show (other than Mulan, and that's unrequited so not a relationship), and relatively few on any t.v. shows. I'm an old sci-fi fan, and back when "Star Trek" was pretty much the only science fiction game in town, there was a massive amount of fan fiction written featuring Kirk/Spock love scenes (especially the two of them in the shower LOL). And then there are lots of guys whose favorite fantasy is two hot chicks doing the nasty together. Put the two groups together, and you end up with a significant portion of the audience reading their own personal sexual obsessions into the characters, even when there's nothing gay about their relationship.
Flag
Orrrrr... we see an undeniable chemistry and hope that once, just ONCE, it actually IS attraction from two main female characters because IT NEVER HAPPENS ON OUR TVS EVER, because people are so used to the default of hetero-pairings.

Let us hope, ffs. Because we literally NEVER get what we want.

I mean really, would ONE LESS het pairing disrupt everything for straight people when literally EVERY OTHER MAIN PAIRING ON EVERY OTHER TV SHOW is straight?

Try looking at it from that perspective with a little empathy.
Flag
This seems never-ending.
Who's shipping Emma and Hook?
Flag
I can't see Emma and Hook together - just can't.
Flag
"P.S., did you notice while Pan and Rumple were taking turns shouting at the frozen assembly of characters, there was like active traffic behind them"

I was laughing during this scene.
Flag
finally got around to watching it, and this would have made a great series finale. it reset everything and pushed all the right buttons and made my face drip water. i might stop watching entirely and just picture emma and henry living happily ever after as the last shot on the show.. with no dirty pirate showing up to try and rape-kiss her.
Flag
This felt more like a season finale, not a mid-season finale.

I don't doubt that Rumple will be back - he has to, he's after all one of the best characters. It's also good to know that Hook is definitely back.

The real sad part is that the excellent Pan-storyline is obviously concluded. A shame, as Pan was the most intruiging villain in OUaT yet. Regina never felt like a real threat in season 1, Cora was to shallow, just evil, but Pan was very interesting as a character. Would like to see him return.
Flag
Pan was an awesome villain, Robbie Kay is perfection! I could have totally believed that he was some kind of demonic entity, it felt so like it!
Flag
"But anyway, Rumple’s disappearance: Where have they gone? Will they return?"

Great questions. No idea. :)

"Why would it kill Rumple to stab his dad?"

This has been puzzling me for a very long time, but I'll take a stab at it (no pun intended):

I think that it's not so much that he stabbed Pan, but that he used his dagger to stab Pan. That's not an ordinary dagger. That's the dagger that embodies the Dark One curse.

The reason this puzzled me, was that it momentarily looked like this was destroying the dagger, and they were implying that this is what killed Rumple. But destroying the dagger wouldn't kill Rumple, it would just remove the Dark One curse. That was firmly established, several times earlier in the series, particularly in the episode when Gold thought August was Bae, and offered to destroy the dagger, so that they could live a normal life together.

Now I'm thinking... Rumple probably had to use his dagger, because an ordinary weapon wouldn't kill Pan. But the dagger is only designed to kill the Dark One. Killing anybody else with the dagger would kill the Dark One as well. That's... the only theory I can come up with that fits at all.

"All questions I really don’t care about right now, because Belle is on the ground sobbing—which, NO."

Question: this phrasing makes it sound like you have a problem with Belle being on the ground sobbing. If so, why? It's not OOC, and makes perfect sense that she would respond that way.
More+
Flag
You're making this too complicated. Look at the dagger: it's really quite long. Pan is very skinny. Rumple stabs Pan, then as he's dying, Rumple yanks him closer. The blade goes all the way through Pan and strikes Rumple in the heart, killing him too. That's what I saw. Nothing really magical about it, until they dissolve into colored fog.

And I don't think it killed Rumple, because only the blade can kill him—but only if someone else is wielding it. Remember, the first 'Dark One' wanted to die but needed Rumple to do it for him, which means he wasn't able to kill himself. I think Rumple's sacrifice freed him from the curse, but at the same time, stripped him of his power. He'll be back, but he won't be the magical Dark One anymore...and won't that be fun!
Flag
I think the reason it works like this is a) maybe the other 'dark one' was also a coward. It would make sense that only cowards would be tempted by a power that was obviously so bad (maybe?) and therefore was afraid to stab himself. Or b) There is an inherent rule that there must be a dark one, so stabbing yourself wouldn't work because there's no one to pass it onto. Which maybe by stabbing Pan and himself, he killed himself, passed on the dark one thing to pan but because he was also stabbed it killed him too in an infinite loop dark oneness?
Flag
The problem is, this doesn't explain Rumple's whole rationale for, "If Pan dies, I die," which he'd said repeatedly throughout this season. Not just during that last scene, but over, and over, and over, throughout this entire season.

That's what I was trying to understand... not why the dagger apparently killed him along with Pan, but why Rumple believed, so strongly, that it must kill him. That the only way to kill Pan, involved dying himself.
Flag
Pathos? XD
Flag
I guess she meant she likes Belle too much to watch her suffer like that. That's it.
Flag
Nice theory about the dagger. My feeling about this is: plothole! :(
Flag
Not a plot hole.

Rumple holds the dagger, stabs Pan. Now, Pan is in effect "holding" the dagger. Rumple then gets stabbed by the dagger, killing him. So, at the same time, Rumple is being killed by the dagger, Pan is becoming the Dark One, and Pan is being killed by the dagger in an epic magical loop.

Get it?
Flag
I just thought the same thing and then scrolled down....
Flag
Not really, how would Pan be holding the dagger by being stabbed?
Flag
Remember when Rumple's dad exchanged rumple for being a young kid again and the shadow took him away from Neverland? I think maybe that this creates a whole if i die, you die kind of thing. I think this is why rumple always intended to sacrifice himself to save Henry, cause the only way to kill pan was to kill himself...?
Flag
I love the reset...it's brilliant when the show does this...like at the end of Season 1. My only complaint is Rumple's "death". He had better be back! He's much too important a character to lose.
Flag
Rumple can't be gone!!!!…..Right? They wouldn't kill anyone so awesome….right? Steven Moffat didn't right this episode did he?….right?
Flag
Re: "Regina’s price for setting the curse was not the heart of the person she loved most, as it was the first time she cast it and also when Pan cast it previously, but whatever. I can bend that rule, fine..."

That's the rule for casting the curse. But Regina wasn't casting the curse. She was doing the opposite - destroying it. The logical consequence of which is that the curse never existed. Storybrook will fade into nothingness, having never existed. Everybody who came to the real world as a result of the curse would return from whence they came.

(And, for some reason, Neal and Hook and Tink would also return from whence they came, even though they didn't arrive as part of the curse. On the contrary - the whole reason the curse existed was to get to Neal. Yeah, I don't really get that logic. But ok - it's a curse - it operates on fairy tale logic).

But the fact that Regina doesn't need the heart of who she loves most actually makes perfect logical sense, and not just in with "fairy tale logic," either. Destroying a curse is not even remotely the same thing as casting it. It makes sense that the cost would be different.
More+
Flag
Has anyone else considered the possibility that Regina is (metaphorically) tearing out her own heart for her son? Phrasing it this way mirrors the Curse and suddenly (at least in my brain) the whole thing makes sense!
Flag
Somehow I think killing the thing you love most would probably be as much ripping out your own heart as sending it away. Hence why Regina couldn't feel/was heartless after the curse. I thought of it more as the curse requires sacrifice, which is the thing you love most. To cast the curse (which is a bad thing) requires an act of evil (killing the thing you love). To destroy the curse you still have to sacrifice the thing you love but by losing it yourself rather than destroying it. So casting a curse requires a selfish sacrifice (destructive), whereas destroying it requires selfless sacrifice.
Flag
I almost cried! OuaT Finales are always so good and emotional. Too bad the entire show can't keep the same pace.

About the candle: in Neverland I remember they said that it worked in Dark Hollow because it was a place without light, so light would capture a shadow (and that alone was weird, aren't shadows born from light?). So it's not the candle itself a magical object. I guess now it is LOL, these incoherent writing is amazing.

About Rumple's shadow: convenient that he could summon his own shadow but couldn't do it in Neverland to give his Dagger to Neal. Bad, just too bad.

And so ROBBIE KAY IS GONE? This is seriously gonna make me cry.

Anyway, a new villain? About time! Give me some Elphaba! Although she's probably going by the name Theodora, but who cares!
Flag
OMG!!! I agree with everything.
When Henry says "You're not a villain.. you're my mum" I was bawling like a baby...
Bring on March,,,,
Flag
That thought came up just a few minutes ago, because I needed to rewatch the ending of the last episode:

Emma and Henry driving away, Storybrooke vanishing behind them, Emma looking and smiling at Henry...

Somehow this now reminds me so very much of the final scene of "Kill Bill Vol.2" (actually it is part of the credits), where Beatrix and her daughter are in the car and are both smiling.

Uma Thurman - Beatrix Kiddo aka The Bride aka Black Mamba aka Mommy.

Jennifer Morrison - Emma Swan aka The Savior aka Swan aka Mom.

Sorry if it doesn't make sense to anybody, I just had to write it down... ;o)
Flag
You're right... anyway that scene was amazing, with the red line vanishing..
Flag
QUESTIONS:

There are already some theories as to how Emma will get her memories back, but you have to know all the spoilers to understand... How Henry will get his memories back, I don't know - but possibly the same way as Emma.

Yes, I did. And I really don't cry easily. I think the last time I cried was some years ago, when I rewatched the very first "Fast and the Furious" movie, where that beautiful car exploded... ;o(

S'cuse me just a minute, brb... *sobbing*

Neither nor, I think. It is rumored that Robert Carlyle has some "time off" while all the others have to keep filming. If that's true, he will be back sometime, but not within the next 4-5 episodes - just guessing!

We can see in the promo, that Reginas plan seems to have worked, because they are all back in the Enchanted Forest. But it also seems, that some time later (maybe nearly 1 year, shortly before Hook goes to Emma?) the Wicked Witch takes over Reginas castle and uses Reginas Curse again and sends everyone BACK to Storybrooke! (How did she manage to get the Curse in her hands, when Regina clearly destroyed it?)

You're right. She's a fairy and I'm sure that she has enough magical skills and powers, which she could use to help the others. Why she never bothers, I don't know. She always looks so uninterested and only helps when clearly asked by someone.

... Are you excited for Wicked tie-ins, or does this smell like money grab?

"Wicked is coming" just means that the Wicked Witch is coming, I don't expect any tie-ins with the Musical, as Disney doesn't have the rights. They will probably base all Oz-related characters on the latest movie (Disney!), not on the Musical.

Regina (with a smile on her face!) telling Emma: "You will take him (Henry). Because you're the Savior - you were created to break the Curse. And once again, you can escape it."
More+
Flag
I think the Blue fairy is following her classical canons, she is just a support character, good fairies tend only to help indirectly the heroes :(
Flag
After watching the promo for 3x12, I just want to know what Kermit's sister is up to... BTW, she really looks a lot like a green-faced Cora. Not a good sign... ;o)

And that scene with Emma and Regina together in the Storybrooke Mayor's Office, where Regina seems to be angry and throwing something...

I can see Emma slowly standing up, walking around the desk to Regina, embracing her from behind and whispering: "Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! Calm down, Regina. Don't worry, my queen - the Savior's here! It'll all be good."

Flag
Oh my hell, I love freaking hook and his manliner and all his delicious self! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I can't wait we have to wait until MARCH!
Flag
I was sooo happy to see Hook at Emma's door...although I'm ready to see a change of clothing!
Flag
Something that's been bugging me since I saw the ep which I'm hoping someone can explain to me? Wasn't Emma serving time when she gave birth to Henry? Isn't that why she couldn't keep him originally? So in the reboot, wouldn't he still have to go into foster care while she finished serving her time, despite her wanting to keep him?

Or was it just that she found out she was knocked up while cooling her heels in the slammer, but she served her time and was out before he was born?

Or did Regina's happy ending have such far-reaching effects that Emma never went to jail at all?
Flag
I do apologize for posting so many times. Wouldn't need to, if TV.Com would allow editing! *ahem* Ok, sorry. :)

I just wanted to take another stab at explaining what I think Regina did with regards to Emma and Henry's "past." Many here believe that all Regina did, was alter their memories... that is, their brains. The synapses that dictate what they remember. I disagree. (and stratford_girl, I just want to say in advance that if I seem a little frustrated, it's not with you. :) )

Here's what we know: Regina said that when the curse is undone, Storybrooke would "wink out of existence as though it were never here." Then she said that, when this happened, Emma and Henry wouldn't remember any of their time together. So, presumably so that Emma and Henry wouldn't find themselves in the middle of nowhere with a woman/boy who was a total stranger to them, she "created new memories," so that they would know each other as mother and son (and not strangers).

Now, let's take a look at what would logically happen, if all Regina did, was alter their memories. Emma and Henry would find themselves driving in the woods in Maine, for reasons unknown. Probably Regina set it up so they think they're on their way back from vacation. So far, so good.

They get back to Emma's apartment, and find an apartment that's set up for a single woman. Henry has no bed in this apartment. Or clothes. They have no idea how this happened.

Ok, so maybe Regina gave them a memory that they're moving. And they're getting a totally fresh start, so they're buying all new furniture, and have gotten rid of all of their old furniture. And clothes. Ok... Makes no sense, but we'll go with that. :)

Emma and Henry move into their new apartment, and everything goes well, until Emma tries to enroll Henry in school. Suddenly, she discovers that Henry has no school records at whatever school Emma remembers Henry attending before this. And nobody there even remembers him (because he wasn't really there).

People start asking questions. They look into her past, and discover that she gave away a baby in a closed adoption, and had no other kids. They confront her with it, and poor Emma doesn't have a clue what they're talking about, because as far as she knows, she never gave Henry up.

Or maybe the authorities drop the ball. Maybe they don't look into it...

...until she files her taxes. Suddenly, she's flagged for an audit, because, guess what? She's claiming a 12-year-old dependent that she's never claimed before! And they can't find any official documentation (birth certificates, Social Security, etc.) stating that Emma is anybody's legal guardian. The IRS pays her a visit and mentions this, and poor Emma doesn't have a clue what they're talking about, because as far as she remembers, she's been claiming Henry for twelve years.

Best case: Emma ends up institutionalized, and Henry is put in foster care.

If Regina understands the real world at all, cares about Henry's future at all, and has half a brain (and I'd like to think that all of the above are true), then when she says that she will give Emma and Henry new memories, what she really means is that she will give them a new reality.

Every once in a while, in a fantasy story, you encounter what I will call a, "this reality vs. the 'real' reality" scenario. It's similar to alternate/parallel universes in sci fi, but not quite the same. In "this world vs. the 'real' world," a spell (it's always a spell) is cast that creates a brand new reality with a brand new past. One where things didn't happen the way that they... really happened. Unlike altered memories, the entire world supports the existence of the new reality. The best example I can think of for this, is how the monks brought Dawn into existence in the fifth season of Buffy.

In short, Regina gave Emma and Henry memories of a happy life as mother and son... by making it so that this is what happened. At least in this reality. The "real" reality (the one the viewers remember) will be made apparent to them at some point in the future. But in this reality, Neal still left Emma hanging... for some reason (not because of August), and she still went to jail, still got pregnant, but changed her mind about giving Henry up for adoption. She served the rest of her time, got out, and has raised him ever since. And the rest of the world supports this, because that's this reality.

At least, that's how Regina did it, if she has half a brain. :)
More +
Flag
Seriously.

Do you think it is more difficult to enrol a child in school than adopt one?
It's about a show, where Regina was able to adopt Henry in no time, with her curse-created background story. And it seems, the Darlings could have also done the same (guess what papers and background they could show to the authorities...

Taxes? Authorities? What about the taxes of all the other Storybrooke people from the last few years, what the authorities might have thought, don't you have problem with that? And how Kathryn Nolan was able to apply and be accepted to college in Boston, what about her? :D And if the course was able to take care of all of that, acceptable papers & background, not only fake memories, for each and every Storybrooke citizen... then please, accept the fact that it can work out smoothly for Emma & Henry too. End of story.

I find your nitpicking quite strange, sorry.
Flag
"Taxes? Authorities? What about the taxes of all the other Storybrooke people from the last few years, what the authorities might have thought, don't you have problem with that?"

No. Not really. I'm pretty sure that, as far as the rest of the world was concerned, Storybrook didn't exist until the curse was broken. That's not the case here - when Emma and Henry moved to, presumably, Boston, then, as far as the rest of the world was concerned, they existed. So now, the rest of the world needs to match with their memories, or things fall apart.

As for whether it's more difficult to enroll a child than to adopt one, no, of course not. :) Lots of other fans had a problem with that. As they should.

It's not nitpicking. Nitpicking is complaining when small details don't make sense. I'm doing the opposite - I'm making a version of this story that does make sense. I believe that, when Regina said that she will give Emma and Henry new memories, that what she meant was, she will give them a new reality. Because, by far, that is more foolproof than just giving them fake memories and sending them out into a real world that doesn't match those memories.
More +
Flag
The answers of erinahbing and Black_Knight are both correct, but I think that your real question is still not answered. So let me try... ;o)

1. Emma still went to jail. Nothing about her real past has changed! She still met Neal, he stole the watches, Neal met August, August told Neal about the Curse and Emma being the Savior. Emma went to jail, Neal disappeared - we all know the story...

2. The false memories that Regina gave to Emma (and Henry) start at the very moment, where Emma just gave birth to Henry (still in prison!), but Emma now "changes her mind" (=false memory!) and "decides" to hold Henry - which we know she didn't want to before!

3. Emma was sentenced to 11 months in a minimum-security prison. When she had just arrived in prison, she found out that she is pregnant with Neals child. 11 months minus 9 months pregnancy = 2 months to go.

4. So Henry was born in prison, when Emma still had about 2 months to go - but that wasn't the reason why she gave up Henry!!! It is just like the Doctor said: She could still change her mind (and keep the baby), but she didn't want to because she thought that she wouldn't be a good mother!

5. So Emma would definitely have been allowed to keep Henry for her last 2 months in prison (if she wanted to), because pregnancy and childcare in prison is possible! There are "mother and baby units" or "prison nursery", so that's nothing to worry about. And that is exactly what Regina gave to Emma as false memories!
More +
Flag
Last post for now, I promise. :)

Just wanted to point you to my new response to stratford-girl, which is also a response to your points. Not sure if tv.com will notify you since it's not a direct reply, so I wanted to be sure. :)
Flag
Ok, I need to clarify. Many apologies for the multiple posts - I really wish tv.com allowed us to edit posts, instead of having to post new ones when we realize we have something else to say! :)

My original post was regarding the question of whether Henry has any official documentation, school records, etc., not to mention the fact that in reality, Emma signed documents giving him up for adoption. If the past wasn't rewritten, then there would be a big gaping hole in Henry's official existence.

What I was trying to address was this point. I believe that, when it comes to this official documentation, Emma's and Henry's new memories are effectively what actually happened. I'm basing this on the apparent fact that everybody in Storybrook probably had paperwork that was automatically in order as well. It's likely a part of the "memories" spell that Regina casts... it makes new memories by making new pasts.

Kind of like... Oh, now I remember what I was trying to remember earlier! Dawn! From Buffy! It would be exactly like that. The most popular theory for how the monks cast Dawn into existence and modified everybody's memories, is that they altered history. That's actually a lot simpler than modifying the memories of every single person Dawn might have touched in 15 years, not to mention her paperwork... instead, they just changed it so that she was always there.
More +
Flag
I'm really replying to your other reply, further down, but tv.com won't let me reply to that. :)

Regarding your second point (I concede to the first, even though I will say that, if you're correct about the promo (and I assume you are), then the writers are contradicting themselves. I'll say more in my reply to erinahbing).

Regarding the second point:

They established that the act of destroying the curse has a price: namely, that destroying the curse would return everybody to where they were before the curse. That's what they said. What I have a problem with, is that they (the characters and the writers) take it as a given that:
  • When the curse is destroyed, then everybody who came to the real world as a result of the curse would be sent back, because it would be as if the curse never existed. That's what they said. They had no choice in the matter.
  • Henry would be left behind. He also had no choice in the matter, because unlike everybody else, he was born in this world. They said this as well.
  • Emma, alone, had a choice, due to being the savior, and therefore she was exempt from the normal rules of the curse. So even though she was born in FTL, she could leave the town line and stay in the real world with Henry.

So, sure, if she'd been inside the town line when the curse hit, Emma would have been swept to FTL with everybody else (except Henry). But she could leave.

But so could Neal, and Tink, and Hook! There is absolutely no reason, even by fairy-tale logic, that they should not have had the choice to cross the town line if they wanted to. Because the only reason the Snow and Regina and Belle and all the others from Storybrook couldn't stay in the real world, the only reason that destroying the curse would automatically send them back to FTL, is that they were... from Storybrook! They were only there because of the curse - the same curse that Regina was destroying. But that's not true of Neal and Tink and Hook. So none of that applies to them. At all.

Continuity!Fail and Logic!Fail, writers. :(
More +
Flag
"They established that the act of destroying the curse has a price: namely, that destroying the curse would return everybody to where they were before the curse. That's what they said."

Who said that? Who are "they"? Source please, if you know something that I don't. Because I can't remember anyone stating something like that!

The only 2 persons who indeed said something, are Regina and Gold! But what Regina said - especially in connection with the promo, doesn't match with your speculations!

Also, Golds exact words (to Regina) were:
"You must destroy the scroll. Both, your curse and his shall be endend."

He said ended, he didn't say reversed, undone or anything like that!

And when you rewatch the ending, you will see that, when Regina said that Storybrooke "won't have ever existed", she was only talking about Emma and Henrys memories - nothing else!

I know that unfortunately I'm not very good at explaining things - that's why my comments are always so long (especially if I have to write in English, as this isn't my mother tongue) - but as I really am about to give up, because I am repeating myself already, I now try to sum it all up in 3 short points:

1. The Storybrooke Curse is stopped by Regina. The town vanishes. But Storybrooke still has existed and everybody is keeping their memories!

2. Except for Emma and Henry, who have new (false) memories and have forgotten all about Storybrooke. They are the only ones who can't remember.

3. Everyone else returns to the Enchanted Forest (or their other realms, depending on where they were born), but without any "time travel" and with all their memories still intact.

And that is the simplest way that I can put it...

More +
Flag
(rewriting so I can make a small addition):

(Underlining emphasis is my emphasis. Italicized emphasis is their emphasis...)

Around 0:45:
Regina: The curse was built to be unstoppable. There's nothing that can be done.

Rumple: Well, it is possible to stop it. By using the scroll itself. It can only be undone by the person who used the scroll. That's you, Regina.

Regina: What do I have to do?

Rumple: You must destroy the scroll. Both your curse and his shall be ended. But know this: there will be a price. A steep one.

Around 30:00:
Regina: It's not our price. It's mine.

Emma: What are you talking about?

R: It's what I felt when I... first held it. I have to say goodbye to the thing I love most.

E: Henry?

R: I'll never see him again. I have no choice. I have to undo what I started.

Snow: The curse that brought us to Storybrooke!

R: That created Storybrooke. It doesn't belong here! And neither do any of us.

Charming: Breaking the curse destroys the town.

R: It will wink out of existence as though it were never here. And everyone would go back to where they're from, prevented from ever returning. [This second sentence is the one that makes no sense. Between this, and all of the time they use the word, "undo" to describe what Regina has to do to the curse, it's made pretty clear that what she is doing, is undoing the curse. Not "ending" the curse... "undoing" it. Making it so it is not done. And it's heavily implied that the second sentence she says here (everybody will go back to where they came from) will come about as a result of the first thing (her undoing the curse that brought everybody there in the first place). Which means that those brought to Storybrooke via the curse will go back to where they come from, but logic says nothing about those that were not brought to the real world via the curse.]

[Also, it's worth noting the context. She hasn't even gotten around to talking about memories yet. That's in a later scene. And she's already using the phrase, "It will wink out of existence as though it were never here.]

E: We'll go back to the Enchanted Forest.

R: All of us. Except Henry. He will stay here, because he was born here.

E: Alone?

R: No. You will take him, because you're the savior. And you were created to break the curse. And once again, you can escape it [Note: that's not what happened, but whatever].

--

...and then later, we see her destroy the scroll, the town vanishes, and Emma and Henry clearly don't remember anything.
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I wonder what happened during that year with false memories. I mean, she got Henry to school, but of course she never actually took him there. Henry's birth is probably registered, but the rest, since Storybrooke never existed, I don't see how could add up. Even Regina's adoption "hasn't happened", at least this is how I interpreted Regina saying that Storybrooke NEVER happened, implying a retroactive effect?
Flag
I disagree with once-junkie - I think that, except for the fact that Emma and Henry are together instead of apart, when she undid the curse, Regina made it so that Storybrook never existed. Period. The past was rewritten.

Except when it comes to Hook, apparently. Maybe because he wasn't actually part of the curse (like Neal, for that matter - no way the curse should have automatically returned those two to the Enchanted Forest). But anyway...

If that's the case, then the past was rewritten. A lot like... I'm drawing a blank, but I've seen a lot of shows where the past has simply been rewritten. It happens a lot in comics. Also in Sci Fi. It's the premise of Groundhog Day (except it's the present that's being rewritten). And Tru Calling. And at least 10 episodes of Star Trek. I'm sure it's happened at least once in Supernatural... Each time, it's simply a rewriting of the past, usually where only one person remembers how it "really" happened.

So if this is the case, then Henry's paperwork is in order. Emma kept him. She enrolled him in school, took him to the doctor, etc. (And never worked out her own childhood issues, and was probably not a terribly good parent as a result).

The real question is, in this reality, why did Neal leave? It wasn't because of August, because August was only there because of the curse, and the curse never existed...
More +
Flag
Regina's words were quite clear about giving memories, (not changing the past...)

"I can do what I did to everyone else in this town" (gave fake memories)
"my gift to you is good memories"
Emma, about their new past life: "but it won't be real"
Regina: "you past won't, but your future will"
Flag
I really don't want to offend anyone, but I think that you are wrong with every point in your posting. So please let me explain:

1. The past was NOT rewritten. Period.

Proof: For a start, Hook goes looking for Emma and tells her that her family needs her help. So Hook remembers everything! (How could he remember Emma, if the past had been rewritten and he hadn't ever met her?! Well, that just doesn't work!).

Secondly, the promo clearly shows us the group instantly arriving back in the Enchanted Forest and Snow White saying "We're back!", so she also remembers what happened - and that they have just come back from Storybrooke!!!

BTW, in this shot we can see the whole group! Every person who said goodbye to Emma at the town line is there, including Hook and Neal. They are all in their old Enchanted Forest clothes again, but they are not fighting with each other.

So this point is very clear and there is no room for misinterpretation.

2. Everyone in Storybrooke is magically forced to go back to where they came from.

Proof: Emma is the Savior and could escape the curse again, nevertheless it seemed to be of vital importance that Emma had to cross the town line in order to do so, before Regina performed her magic.

Everyone else remaining behind the town line was transported back to where they came from. Why should there be an exception for Hook, Neal or Tink?!

It doesn't matter that they were not brought to Storybrooke, when the Curse was originally cast by Regina. What matters is that they are all in Storybrooke NOW - and as the town will vanish, the undoing of the Curse now also includes them!!!
More +
Flag
"Even Regina's adoption "hasn't happened", at least this is how I interpreted Regina saying that Storybrooke NEVER happened, implying a retroactive effect?"

No, because that's not how it works! What happened is:

1. Emma and Henry both now have false memories, so they think that they have always been together since Henrys birth.

2. So they don't remember anything about Storybrooke, because they've never been there (in their false memories!). Storybrooke never happened for Emma and Henry!

3. As for the others, Regina and everybody else is going back to where they came from, but they all keep their "We-Are-Both"-memories (remember that episode?), so they can all remember their Storybrooke personalities and their Storybrooke past, e.g. Charming still knows that he is also David, etc.

Emma and Henry are "cursed" not to remember Storybrooke, while everybode else can!
Flag
If that is so, my question remain unanswered. For the Real World system, Henry never enrolled in any school, wouldn't that and the fact that his mother spent time in jail alert social services?
Flag
Emma was not a time traveler, just received new (false) memories from Regina.
Flag
Regarding your other post above (the one I can't reply to directly) :) :

Regina said that they would remember nothing of anything that happened in Storybrook, because it would be as though none of it ever happened. Then she decided that she would give them new memories (as opposed to leaving Emma and Henry in the middle of nowhere with no idea how they got there, or who the other person was).

It's pretty clear that the selective amnesia is a logical result of the annulment of the curse, while the new (replacement) memories are a gift from Regina. They are two separate things. If Regina hadn't given Emma and Henry new memories, they still wouldn't remember anything of their time in Storybrook... in fact, that's why she gave them new memories, so that Henry would still have a mother, and not a total stranger he doesn't remember, and who doesn't remember him.
Flag
Oh, I'm not saying that Emma is a time traveler, just that undoing the curse caused a rewriting of history. Because they flat-out said that was the reason that Storybrook would cease to exist and everybody would be sent back to FTL, except for Henry, who was born here, and Emma, who, as the savior, was exempt from the normal rules. :)
Flag
Exactly. Everything that happened to Emma up to this point - and to Henry as well - has still happened. Emma still went to prison and gave up Henry. Henry was still adopted and raised by Regina.

It's just like what Regina did to all the Storybrooke people before - their FTL memories were taken away and replaced with memories of having always lived in Storybrooke.
Flag
Hook!! You leather clad, dippity-do coiffed, eyeliner wearing, perpetual 5'oclock shadow covered, puppy dog eyed, one handed fool...

Why do I love you like I do?
Flag
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Thanks for the laugh. That was brilliant. :) and Happy Holidays!
Flag
Did anyone else feel like when Hook showed up at Emma's door it was very "Back to the Future"? "It's your kids, Marty!!!!!!!"
Flag
Sorry, but I don't see any resemblance there...

Marty didn't have his memory erased or replaced, like Emma did.

So Marty knows exactly who Doc is - while Emma doesn't have a clue who this bum at her door is.

Marty and Doc have met just the night before Doc returns. Emma and Hook have seen each other the last time a whole year ago!

So, if you are searching for real similarities, you should try "Men in Black II", where Agent K was "neuralyzed" and lost all his memories. He then worked at a post office for some years - until Agent J shows up and tries to give him his memories back, because the MIB need his help once again... ;o)

Flag
Geesh, it was just my perception, and a joke. Easy, there.
Flag
To be fair, both examples work, though I'm impartial to Back to the Future as I'm an 80's kid :)
Flag
So am I, born in '78 and glad to have grown up int the 80's. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't also know some movies of the 21st century, hehe... ;o)

Like I wrote, I can see a resemblance to "MIB II", but not to "BTTF" - and I'm a huge fan of "BTTF" - although I have to confess that I chuckled for a few seconds when I imagined Hook saying: "Marty, you gotta come back with me..."
Flag
Potato, other potato, I suppose :)
Flag
Doc figured out a way to de-age himself AND become a sexy pirate :)
Flag
did anyone notice that the alarm clock was set to 815? oceanic flight 815...lost!!!!!!!
Flag
Heh. It's also a callback to the series premiere, where the Storybrooke town clock had been stuck at 8:15 forever and ever (or for 28 years, more exactly). At the end of the premiere, Emma's arrival caused the clock to finally move to 8:16. It's a lovely sort of bookending since Emma/Henry, like the Storybrooke inhabitants before them, have been living under a spell of their own in which their real memories are gone and they have fake memories. But then the clock goes to 8:16 and Hook arrives - meaning this period is coming to an end, just as Emma's arrival in Storybrooke signalled the coming end of the curse.

Flag
I'm revising my speculation about what happens - I realized that I've been assuming that Hook comes to NYC from FTL, but there's nothing to back that up.

Now I think that the year in FTL that is spent battling the Wicked Witch (plus whatever else that happens) results in the WW sending everybody back to Storybrooke somehow - this time including the characters who never left FTL to start with, like Robin, Mulan, Philip and Aurora. But it's a horrible version of Storybrooke - maybe it's what Pan had planned, maybe it's some misery the WW came up with herself. Either way, they're in trouble. Hook has always been one of the few who can leave the town (since he wasn't part of the original curse), so after they all return, he goes to NYC to fetch Emma to help them. This explains the scenes we see in the promo of Whale with Robin in the hospital and Regina in normal clothes with Emma.

The show will be split between flashbacks of what happened during the year in FTL and scenes of the present day in which Emma/Regina/Charmings/etc. fight back against the Wicked Witch, taking place in Storybrooke, NYC and FTL (they'd have to go to FTL again to fight the WW, right?).

The Regina/Henry issue gets solved by Henry kissing his mother after he gets his memories back of her.
More+
Flag
I like it. This definitely sounds plausible. Especially since someone (Grumpy I think) asks who cast the curse. They have to be talking about a new one because Emma may have lost her memories, but the FTL gang did not.
Flag
Rumple is not dead.
Remember in Neverland Regina told him, he can only be kill by her...
Flag
Wicked. Ugh. Worst book ever. Also had nothing to do with why fairy tales resonate, Not looking forward to this.

Flag
Neal should not have vanished nor should have hook as those two didn't came to Storybrooke due to the curse but they were there on their own. So when the original curse was reset then they should not have been affected.
Flag
I completely agree - and pinnochio too if you think about it - he was not there when the original curse was cast.
Flag
That's true. If Emma doesn't have to go, then they shouldn't either. Both Hook and Neal can exist outside the town line.

It would be interesting if they never actually left, but chose to stay away so that Emma and Henry could be happy together without the drama.
Flag
Loved the episode. The suspense was killing me..
Loved Tink believe in herself again and fly again. Loved the capture of blue fairy about the wand keeping it save in her ass..whahahahahaha so funny..
But especially the end...Regina was so awesome. So gentle...it was really sad to see Emma drive away and the rest dissapear, forgetting everything.
Loved the end when Hook showed up at the door of Emma...
Can't wait what is going to happen next season. Of course Emma and Henry will return to the fairy world, but how and why etc....
Loved loved this episode....
No more mr gold or rumple...so weird...!!!
Glad that the whole Pan storyline is done
Flag
I have some urgent questions!

- Why did Neal vanish? He was there on the same grounds as Emma. He was even earlier there to begin with. He doesn't belong in fairytale land.

- How can Emma afford such a nice place in the city? She used to be homeless without any significant working skills.

But all in all a nice episode.
It could use some nudity though.
Flag
"She used to be homeless without any significant working skills."
Emma had a flat at the beginning of the series and she was a bail bond agent.
Flag
I agree Neal should not have vanished nor should have hook as those two didn't came to Storybrooke due to the curse but they were there on their own. So when the original curse was reset then they should not have been affected.
Flag
Hi, about Emma i cannot answer it, but Neal, was from the fairytale land...before he went to the normal world...but he belongs indeed in the fairytale world..
Flag
Emma was too then. She was a baby in the fairytale world and Neal a boy, so that shouldn't matter.

Point is: if Emma can stay, so should Neal...

Flag
Henry had to stay, because he was the only one of them, who was born in our world. All others would have to go back to where they came from. That is what Regina said! Which means that most people would go back to the Enchanted Forest, and the other ones (like Dr. Frankenstein, I guess) would return to their own realms.

It is true that - under normal circumstances - Emma also would have had to go back to the Enchanted Forest, because she was born there (the same goes for Neal and Hook).

But: Emma is also the Savior!
And that is why she (and no one else, except Henry) can escape the curse.

So you're wrong! Neal can't stay. Only the Savior can.
Flag
Emma was able to stay because she was the savior and the curse did not work on her.
Flag
She was able to stay because the curse hadn't affected her, and it only reached to the edge of Storybrooke. She crossed the border, she escaped being ripped back to FTL. Neal and Hook -could- have escaped the same way. I don't know why they didn't.
Flag
What an episode!! First of all, I take my hat off for Robbie Kay's impecable acting skills, that kid needs to win a prize, ASAP!
Second, the scene when Rumple kills himself (supposedly) and his dad...why was it so f*ing awkward? I mean was the kissing necessary? the faces being so damn close? the hugging? oh well, it happened and it's inprinted in my memory now, I just wonder, why?
And no, I don't believe for a second that Rumple will stay dead, he'll be back for sure, sooner rather than later.
Loved the ending of the episode, the part when they all said goodbye broke my heart, and made love the Regina-Emma-Henry family even more.
I think one of the best parts was when Hook says goodbye to Emma, and that he'll think of her everyday, and she's like [wink] "good" [double wink], which together with last week's episode and her reluctance to date Neal let us know she made her choice.
I think Henry and Emma will go back to the Enchanted Forest and the rest of the season will develop there, but we shall wait and see.
Flag
I agree about Emma clearly leaning towards Hook. I got the feeling that if Neal and her family weren't watching (awkward!), they would have shared a goodbye kiss. I could feel the chemistry there between her and Hook, I didn't feel it during her goodbye with Neal.

Rumple hugging his dad the child was fine, but when Pan turned into a man they went from touching/grappling in an effort to get away to "oh my god I'll never let go" embracing and it was weird. And I know that was meant to be a kiss, but it looked like he was in effort to leave a hickey lol
Flag
Lol YES, totally XD
Flag
Have you noticed everyone's reaction when David said "She's back, the blue fairy". It was so funny. No one seemed to care
Flag
im guilty from crying at the end of the episode cos i honestly hate goodbyes but your review made me laugh like crazy afterwards hahhahah
Flag
Wasn't Emma also born in fairytale land? How come she gets to stay behind?
Flag
The curse only extended to the borders of Storybrooke. She wasn't bound by the curse, so all she had to do was skip across the border and she was safe. They needed someone to stay with Henry and she was the only one who was able to. Except, I don't know, his father? But I guess he's not important.
Flag
Nope he's not. Emma's goodbye was pretty telling lol. That felt the least heartfelt of them all.
Flag
They said that she can escape the curse because she is the savior (justifying why Neal and Hook couldn't stay behind too). Well, not the perfect explanation but I prefer it to Neal+Emma+Henry ending up together as a happy family with fake memories.
Flag
She was never affected by the curse so it makes sense that she could stay behind actually.
Flag
Shhhh...the writers behind this show who also happened to work on "Lost" have seldom ever been inspired to make any sense.
Flag
the curse affected all those who where born in the magic world, so hook, Neal were born there.. emma was born there but as Regina said she is the savior so she could scape the curse, and henry was born in the our world
Flag
this show has many plot holes, but that part was pretty obvious and perfectly explained by Regina. Not sure, why people are so confused by it. Everyone who didn't belong to the land without magic had to go back to FTL. Emma was the saviour so she was the only exception.
Flag
I think it's confusing because Neal and Hook could freely travel outside of storybrooke as if they weren't tied to the curse?
Flag
Aaaaand I'm outta here
Flag
http://susanmcmovies.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/once-upon-a-time-3x11-going-home-review/

Hey Lily! This is my review of the episode. I'd like you to tell me what you think. It's my last one because I'm going to stop reviewing the show and maybe stop watching it completely. In all honestly with the death of Rumple I don't think the show will be as good. I'm totally cool with pretending the year later sequence didn't happen and the show ended this episode during the car ride leaving storybrooke. I feel resolved.
Flag
Staff
Hey! I am just now seeing this comment. I'm flattered you want my opinion! I'll DM you with thoughts.
Flag
If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you look at some of my other articles too? Whatever you are comfortable with.
Flag
And what if Rumple didn't really die?
Flag
I'm still done reviewing it. I'm only going to watch a few of the episodes of the second half to see if it's worth to keep watching. I'm ready to move on for other reasons.
Flag
It was a great episode even though Rumple died and the Blue Fairy didn't stay dead. I'm hoping this issue will be fixed later on.

I couldn't help myself wonder why Neal had to go back. He never experienced the curse. I guess it's all about the writers giving Hook a chance? They could have been the perfect family, even though it's not exactly what I would have wished for. I really hate this wasted potential in MRJ, Neal is indeed rather useless character (though I don't agree him being so horrible as many anti-Neal-people here make him out to be).

I definitely like this "reset" better than the idea of the whole Storybrooke losing their memories again. This time it's the two people who didn't lose their memories. Very eager to see where the story goes. But why is it a year only? They really could have done 3-4 so Henry wouldn't look so obviously overaged.

Flag
Agreed about the Blue Fairy. I thought that actress had another commitment and that's why she died. It certainly felt random enough for that reasoning. Still not sure why the shadow killed her, it's not like we had a scene where Pan said, "I'm going after all those with magic" or "I want the wand that no one is even aware of". I don't think Rumple's dead, but if he is, at least he got a good heartfelt goodbye to Neal and Belle. I really enjoyed that part. Their grieving was good too.

Someone mentioned that Emma is the savior so the spell didn't work on her. I guess because she's the product of true love? I hope that's the case because otherwise both Neal and Hook should still be in our world since neither of them were brought here by the curse.
Flag
Yes I thought it must be the whole true love thing but it still seemed very vague. Good point about Hook, Ariel too actually. I don't really know why they were doomed by reversing a curse they never were under in the first place?

Blue Fairy's death was awesome whatever reason. It was brilliantly recapped by Abbie (though I very much enjoyed Lily's version too like always):

Overall that episode has a very nice recap, I'm not in love with some of the recaps but there are really good ones here and there.

Flag
Oh my God, laughed so hard with this pic I almost choked.
Flag
Aaand Tinkerbell.
Flag
Biggest plot hole: Emma put all that work into breakfast for Henry? Come on. We know she's a pop tarts mom.
Flag
I think it's a clue - along with the neat, well-appointed, expensive-looking home and the cuddly pajamas - that Regina's replacing of Emma's memories with good ones has made her a very different Emma from the one we know. I bet she doesn't have near the abandonment issues or bitterness, and that the implanted memories also included how to do some sort of job that pays a lot better (like how Regina made Whale a doctor and so on).
Flag
That's a wonderful occasion for the actress to display a new range of acting skill!
Flag
Yeah but it seems like Regina replaced Emma's memories from the day the latter gave birth to Henry forward. (She was in the room and was planning to give Henry away. The start of the scene was the same but the end changed). So I guess that Emma still has parent issues but now she also has a family (Henry) that she can trust so she isn't so lonesome.
Flag
I always thought Regina gave a lot of her happy memories about raising Henry, and these probably included making breakfast for him.
Flag
She might still have abandonment issues, but she no doesn't have the guilt of giving up her son. Having Henry in her life would have changed her way of being, her motives, and the amount she tries at life. Plus, she has someone with unconditional love for her in her life. I'm sure Regina might have made their life more comfortable as well .
Flag
Plus Regina's also implanted ten years worth of memories of Emma raising Henry - Regina is certainly the kind of mom who would put work into breakfast, and she specifically said she was going to give Henry a good life and good memories too. So we can expect that she included that kind of mom stuff in the memories, and so this Emma also thinks that in putting effort into breakfast she's just doing the same sort of thing that she's done for the previous ten years. Ya think Regina would give Emma memories of just throwing a pop tart at their son for breakfast every morning?
Flag
C'mon Regina can't do everything. Giving Emma cooking skills ? tooRegina was doing everything last minute as a curse was falling upon them, saving the town, securing her son's live....and you are berating her for not giving Emma culinary skills as well?
Flag
Actually I misread it and thought she did give him pop tarts and not more (apparently I didn't recall the scene). But, dude, it was just scrambled eggs, pancakes and hot chocolate. My little sister was making better pancakes than me, from scratch mind you, when she was 4. I'm sure Emma can handle that just fine. At worst she is making pour out of the bottle Bisquik pancakes and Swiss Miss.
Flag
Dude, Emma has memories of raising Henry for 10+ years. Are you saying that in 10+ years, Emma never learned how to parent and make breakfast?
Flag
? I think you completely misread what I wrote. I'm not berating Regina at all, and I think she did exactly what you think I said she didn't (give Emma culinary skills). Like Ysu73 said upthread, Regina probably used many of her own memories, the good ones, of raising Henry as the replacement memories for Emma and Henry. Those would have included things like good breakfasts. Regina was a single mother for ten years, after all. In essence, she gifted Emma with the parenting skills/experience that Emma never had a chance to learn from an adult due to her foster care background. And so we have an Emma now who does things like make her son a nice breakfast as opposed to tossing him a poptart and keeps her house really neat. I bet Emma knows now how to soothe Henry after a nightmare, too (callback to Regina's comment in the previous episode).
Flag
HOOK FOUND HER!!!! That is all.
Flag
And got kicked in the groin haha! Plus he has a ship who else would have been able to go? Viva last
Flag
Show surprises me once again. A perfect episode that would have been a lovely series ender. Is it just me or on this show - does Jennifer Morrison only play well with Lana Parilla? The looks between the two when Parilla's 'Evil Queen' (pffft) was Ending her curse were beautiful. Jennifer Morrison showed some emotion - the tears in her eyes finally realizing what Regina really did mean to her and Henry - it was beautiful. The first bit of real acting I've seen her pull off this entire series. Jared Gilmore even had me in tears showing genuine emotion about losing his mom - 'Regina'. That's right he realized she was his mom too and that is what broke me. The best part was Michael Raymond James' Neal - he was firmly given the back seat - 'you will be in the episode but 'Neal' will just observe and give in to the fact that Neal doesn't really mean that much to anyone'. With the two moms looking at one another while having that exchange, all he could do is stand there and realize - I really don't matter. He really had nothing to do in this pivotal episode save providing a coconut to another character we already like better than him - Rose McIver's 'Tinkerbell'. (That's OK MRJ we loved you in 'Terriers' .) Lets hope that Espenson doesn't let her writers fall back into the Disney coda of 'ADOPTIVE PARENTS ARE PURE EVIL'. Keep Regina awesome and just enough evil to keep her interesting.

These final four episodes have shown that this show can rely on CHARACTER not effects and be a much much more fulfilling adventure. Hopefully the return to the forest doesn't make the writers forget what really made this final run into the break some of the series best hours. Worried though because Rebecca Mader looks way to happy (and gorgeous) and not the least bit frightening as the Wicked Witch. BOOOORING......

Still waiting with fingers crossed that Regina ends up in Wonderland and gets together with the woman she really needs, the Red Queen. Just find a way to get Lana Parilla and Emma Rigby together in this universe.

More+
Flag
It's funny, Neal is the father of her child and possibly of her true love, but her goodbye with him felt so lackluster compared to all the others, even Hook's was better than that. That says a lot about Neal's chances with Emma lol
Flag
It just was weird because Michael R James seems better than this part. The writers haven't given him anything.
Flag
=> Regina suggested it... But I don't see why it would be bad... I mean, with Pan dead (?) there's no danger if the counter curse is broken... right?

=> Yep.

=> He'll be back! (Like OUAT could afford loosing Carlyle!)

=> I haven't watched it because it always contains huge spoilers, sorry! (I give myself 3 days before I give up and watch it!)

=> LEAVE THE GIRL ALONE! She does what she can, while following rules she did not write!

... Are you excited for Wicked tie-ins, or does this smell like money grab?
=> Money grab. But it could still be fun!

=> Henry FINALLY apologising for all the shit he'd thrown at his mom (REGINA) the past few years (? months?)
More+
Flag
You had to know OZ was going to show up- the Wicked Witch was foreshadowed in Henry's book back in S1. Some folks theorized that August was the Wizard (remember the Kansas license plate on his motorcycle?) And Rumple had the ruby slippers in the Frankenstein episode, didn't he?
I just hope they give this storyline a little more respect than Shelley's got...
Flag
Which story exactly? Oz, or Wicked? The books, movies or musicals? Since Disney has already played a bit with them, the "original story" might be a bit far this time...
Flag
If I'm fair & we lived in a perfect I'd say that this was a perfect series finale cuz IMO nothing'll ever top this, but since this is a mid-season finale I've mixed emotions, why on earth did they just wiped out Storybrooke from the face of the Earth, it feels like Lost all over again & Lost I surely am :(
Flag
Feels like a serie finale, a really heartbreaking one, "Going Home" is the perfect Once Upon A Time's episodes. It relies every elements we love about this show including death, love, action and beautiful character moments.
Flag
It does feel like an ending- bittersweet, wrapping up just enough loose ends to make you ask the REAL questions.
My take is that Regina basically erased the Curse, resetting everyone to where they were the day she cast it. So Snow is expecting a baby who WILL replace Emma- funny how that works out- and Regina is free to meet her future with a clean slate.
Flag
No, I think the gang has their memories. The promo shows Snow saying, "we're back" and they're all standing with Regina as if on friendly terms. So no -- they remember everything. Only Emma and Henry forgot.
Flag
So Snow is expecting a baby who WILL replace Emma

Ooh, I can't wait for that. Especially since Emma won't have her memories so she'll be even more hurt, angry, and confused.
Flag
What? Snow's not pregnant with another child yet.
Flag
I think she is; but that might just be because Ginnifer is expecting. I thought one of the scenes in the Promo showed Snow with a bump.
Flag
Was I the only one disappointed that it WASN'T Cruella De Vil who was the new villain?

The show has worked many characters to fit the story and could have def made her crazy lifestyle a part of the show.

Just this Wicked Witch does NOT look scary to me...And I always liked the message that "to be a villain you don't need magic to have power. Just tons of many...and tons of crazy."
Flag
In a show where Rumple and Regina are ex-villains, the new villain is bound to have magical powers..
Flag
I don't get why everyone is obsessed with Cruella. She looks cool but that it. All she did was gather animals for fur coats. That is not enough to make her a huge villian at all, just a greedy rich person with no animal care.
Flag
Meh people love Lex Luthor and he just started out as a rich, megolomaniac. I think Cruella is a fine villain, just not for OUAT. They'd really have to amp up the crazy to get me even a little interested.
Flag
No, Lex Luthor was totally different besides being rich was a penchant for not acting according to the law and had no problems killing people. Lex has always been brilliant and had his fingers in every pie. Oh and he's charming. And depending on which version of Superman you read or watched, he may have been buddies with Superman at some point at time. He's Dynamic.
And so forth.

Cruella is just about fur coats. So minor, one episode villiany at most. And as far as we know, there is only one dalmation in town.
Flag
I know that I had already wished all of you a happy hiatus, and this is not a usual use of the site. But it just occurred to me that I haven't seen a posting from Woundedwolfgirl since she had complimented Lily for her humor, and also mention that a friend had died tragically that day. Woundedwolfgirl, I may have missed your postings, because I don't read them all. But if you haven't been posting, I hope that you are OK, and slowly healing. I always found your comments really smart and thoughtful, and I hope that you will re-join this motley crew when the show resumes in March :-)
Flag
It would suck going back to the Enchanted Forest now. These people are use to toilets and cell phones! No more hot showers, washing machines or disposable diapers. And poor Dr. Hopper is going to turn into a effing cricket again! One other thing that occurred to me is...if the curse was destroyed and everyone who died during gets brought back to life? Maybe? If so then the sheriff/huntsman will return. THAT would be awesome! I think he was Emma's true love.
Flag
I agree with everything except cellphones. Weren't they stuck in a time loop? I thought I remember someone having an old ass Nokia. Outside of playing Snake, they won't miss those lol
Flag
You're assuming they remember having any of these things! I'm betting on "Man, I had the weirdest dream... No more dwarven ale for me!"
Flag
I think they remember. Didn't Snow say "We're back" in the preview?
Flag
Yes she did
Flag
They remember. Hook went to find Emma. The whole new premise will be "convince Emma of who she is" again!
Flag
Hook wasn't cursed, so could retain memories no-one else did. As for Snow and Charming- they could just be back from their honeymoon for all we know (writers like to play games...)
Flag
Also penicillin and the various other life saving medical breakthroughs. They're back to leeches and amputations unless the fairies double as doctors / nurses
Flag
I'm pretty sure magic is a better cure to disease than science (as we saw with the people buying magic cures to cure cancer and being made of wood)
Flag
For those who have access to magic. Not everyone did.
Flag
Dude, leeches are awesome and still have yet to be beat in a number of medical situations.
I think they'd actually be more spoilled by heating and grocery stores.
Flag
Indoor plumbing. Major breakthrough there.
Flag
I wept giant rainbow tears of unicorns and Swan Queen. As much as I enjoyed the drama, Lana Parrilla's and JMo's cry-faces should be illegal, cuz they're just too painful.

I was really glad the Blue Fairy came back because I look forward to seeing more of her being the worst.

Rumple has to come back! And I'm not particularly a Rumbelle shipper but Belle's grief was soooo sad. I wanted to jump through the screen and comfort her, since none of those other yahoos were. Seriously, Neal??? Every time he's onscreen I shake my head and quote your brilliant recap to myself - "Jump in that hole already!"

And man, I've seen so much ragging on Jared Gilmore, and granted he's gotten some shitty writing the past couple seasons, but I've really enjoyed him the past couple episodes. I thought he did great as Pan-in-Henry, and great when he was just back to Henry. I hope he gets a chance at some better dialogue and scenes - he's young and still learning but I think he's got talent.

Favorite scenes: Emma/Snow unicorn mobile chat (I literally leaped up from the couch and screamed "Finally, just two characters in a room fucking TALKING to each other!"), Henry's "You're not a villain, you're my mom" speech (I burst into tears again as I typed that out), and hand-holding. HAND-HOLDING!

The curse reset/multiple lands thing could end up being a plot-hole and CGI-riddled hot mess, I don't know, and I'm already pre-gagging about the upcoming Robin Hood-as-love-interest storyline, but I finally have enthusiasm and hope for this show for the first time in awhile. I will spend the next 3 months praying for decent storylines and gazing longingly at photos of the Swan-Mills Family in their color-coordinated outfits.

More+
Flag
If they don't make swanqueen endgame then there really is no point to this show.
Flag
It just occurred to me, that conversation between Regina and Henry where Henry regretted bringing Emma to town and undoing the curse...I know Regina reassured him by telling him it wasn't his fault, she was wrong, etc. but - imagine if she remembered that she actually knew eleven years ago that Henry was the Savior's son and that as such there was a very good chance that things would play out the way they did, and chose to keep him anyway. If she'd been able to tell Henry that in this conversation, it would've FLOORED him. Damn forgetting potion...
Flag
I was more surprised he regretted getting Emma and not sticking his heart into Pan. Everything was pretty fine until then, they could have just saved him and gone back and all chilled in Storybrook.
Flag
Obviously there are a lot of points at which something could have been done differently - and we did hear Henry apologize a couple of other times for giving Pan his heart. But this made sense because it closed the circle on Henry and Regina's relationship, and also helped eliminate the "biological is superior" vibe we might otherwise have gotten from how this episode ended with the adoptive mother giving up her child to the biological mother. Henry, faced with losing his adoptive mother forever, basically said that if he could choose and do things over, he would have chosen to live with his adoptive mother under the curse and never know his biological mom rather than lose his adoptive mother and live with his biological mother. Since Regina raised him, I think that's very important validation, and a moment that erased the bad feeling I otherwise would've had about what the show's saying about biological versus adoptive. It also lets us know that as happy as Henry is with Emma in NYC with their memories erased, we should be rooting for them to get their memories back because a Henry with full memories is a Henry who wants his adoptive mother in his life. (And Emma with full memories is an Emma who wants her parents back.)
More +
Flag
You make great points, but I think people focus on the whole adoption vs biological so much that they forget Henry's POV in this story.

I think Henry was looking for love. He didn't have a dad, and he was stuck with this woman. It wasn't just about being adopted, it was being adopted by the villain. For all he knew, it was possible that the Evil Queen kidnapped and raised him for her own nefarious purposes. He sought out his real mom hoping she could provide that familial bond he was looking for and shunned Regina in the process. Finding out that Emma really did voluntarily gave him up hurt, but it still didn't explain why Regina wanted him. Throughout Season 2, we see Henry go back and forth with his feelings towards Regina, because she raised him so he cares, but he still doesn't trust any of her motives. (The writers didn't portray this well, but you get the gist.) It wasn't until this journey and seeing everyone band together that Henry finally comes to grips with it all. This is his family, made up of a good AND evil, and they're ALL capable of genuine feeling. (Hence the reason I think he was easily manipulated by Pan.) Regina wasn't an evil witch who stole him away to satisfy a vendetta, she was just a woman who wanted to be a mom and have someone to love. Seeing the depth of her feelings, Henry now regrets his lack of faith in her. His words weren't a slight at Emma, because it wasn't about her. It was about Henry apologizing to Regina for all the drama that he caused because he knows now that she does truly love him as her son, villain or not.
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
It does close that loop, but honestly I never automatically go back to the biological vs adoptive issue here. If what you're saying is true too, then what he said was terribly insulting to everyone but Regina. If he could do it over, he'd choose to never know them? Yea, his life would have been so much better living in a town that never aged.
Flag
It is insulting to the rest of Storybrooke, but I actually kind of like that. It makes him his mother's son, basically (see "I regret nothing because it got me my son"). At the end of the day he's a boy who was faced with losing the mother who's been there all his life, so of course he's going to be kinda selfish about it, especially in the heat of the moment. He was similarly selfish in the S2 finale when he was totally willing to risk everybody else's lives to save Regina's.

The other thing to remember about Henry is that he owes his entire existence to the curse. He would never have been born otherwise. I don't think he would choose to never have the curse be cast at all, as unselfish as that would be. So he already has that going on, and that's also a slap in the face to the rest of Storybrooke, but it is what it is - he's a kid and you can't reasonably expect a kid to be down with the idea of never existing in the service of a Greater Good. So it's not that much more distance to go from not regretting the curse to regretting that the curse was overturned when he realized it was ultimately going to cost him his mother.

I wouldn't go to the biological vs. adoptive issue if the show hadn't spent the better part of its run totally discounting Regina as his mother because Emma's the biological mom. It's only this season that they've finally really corrected that, and - I am shocked and amazed that I can say this, but I actually trust the writers going forward in regards to Regina and Henry's relationship.
More +
Flag
Kids are often all-or-nothing; I don't think Henry intended an insult to Emma so much as that he didn't want to lose Regina. At least she's got that to hold on to- as the caster of the Curse, she's going to remember everything she lost. Maybe that's what he was thinking?
Flag
Yeah, I was really happy how much more Henry focused on Regina rather than Emma as he should. Especially now that Regina isn't making him believe he is crazy and putting death threats on his family members.
Flag
Regina KNEW Henry wasn't crazy (she remembered everything), but she belittled his theories and encouraged the townsfolk to treat him as though he were nuts in hopes of avoiding the breaking of the Curse.
Yes, many children who aren't certifiably crazy (myself among them) visit a psychiatric professional to help them make sense of this crazy world. BUT Regina specifically said to Archie: "Fix my kid". Implying that he wasn't quite right somehow.
The closer Henry came to finding Emma, the less stable Regina's hold on her "Happy ending" became- I think she hoped Archie could psychoanalyze Henry out of his ideas and put everything back the way it was, when she was unquestionably the most important person in her son's life.
Flag
Dracomom: But he wasn't sent to the pychiatrist because he was out of touch with reality. He was sent there because "his mom is a complicated woman and her effort to get closer to him backfired on her". There were problems between him and Regina, and just like when he was a crying baby, Regina was looking for a quick fix with Whale, the same way when there were problems in the relationship, Regina was looking for a quick fix with Archie. Actually, many moms takes her children to therapy without trying to suggest they are crazy. And yes, sometimes children do think this is because they are crazy. Moms know better.
Actually, I don't think Regina thought Henry was out of touch with reality. Henry got the book 3 weeks before Emma came to town. And Regina found the book in the first or second episode. At that time Henry was seeing Archie for ages.
Flag
Ysu73- Sending your kid to a psychiatrist because he's "out of touch with reality" may not be using the actual word; but it sure made Henry think she thought he was crazy.
Flag
Actually, Regina never called Henry crazy. Emma did. True, Regina invited Emma over, so Henry could overhear her, but the interesting thing that Regina didn't had to manipulate the conversation, didn't have to give liottle cues, after several polite nonsense Emma jumped into it and called Henry crazy. I don't blame Emma why would she thought it, I just don't understand this specific blame against Regina.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members